Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Why the caps?

Old 03-08-09, 07:18 PM
  #1  
jakerock
helmet brake
Thread Starter
 
jakerock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 624

Bikes: Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why the caps?

No offense to the people pictured, but I dont understand the whole "biker cap" thing.






If those hats are cool, then arent these hats cool too?





jakerock is offline  
Old 03-08-09, 07:19 PM
  #2  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 31,240

Bikes: 2010 Catrike Expedition, 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 75 Posts
Same thing as wearing socks on your feet.
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"

10 Wheels is offline  
Old 03-08-09, 07:21 PM
  #3  
jakerock
helmet brake
Thread Starter
 
jakerock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 624

Bikes: Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
Same thing as wearing socks on your feet.
Not really, hats are optional. And dumb hats are fun. But not when they arent supposed to be a joke.... Thats when they start to make me feel weird.
jakerock is offline  
Old 03-08-09, 07:25 PM
  #4  
Live2Die
?que?
 
Live2Die's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ever ride with one? They serve a purpose and I for one really like longer rides with one. The small brim keeps sun out but your vision isn't impaired, they fit tight enough that a helmet over top is comfortable, they are light weight and absorb sweat off your forehead that otherwise ends up in your eyes. Maybe not for everyone and maybe not your fashion accessory but they do serve a purpose.
Live2Die is offline  
Old 03-08-09, 07:27 PM
  #5  
elTwitcho
Live without dead time
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
Not really, hats are optional. And dumb hats are fun. But not when they arent supposed to be a joke.... Thats when they start to make me feel weird.
The short brim is to accommodate the head tilted down position typical of riding a racing bike. The brim can be further flipped up to get it out of the way entirely.

Now you know why cyclists wear a cap designed with cycling in mind.
elTwitcho is offline  
Old 03-08-09, 07:28 PM
  #6  
peabodypride
No plan.
 
peabodypride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 2,743
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They keep the sun out of your eyes while having a brim designed not to bend in the wind. That said, wearing them on their own is just style, and my head is too round and big so I tend to look like the first guy you posted when I wear them.
peabodypride is offline  
Old 03-08-09, 07:29 PM
  #7  
peabodypride
No plan.
 
peabodypride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 2,743
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
PS, this hat is jawsome.
peabodypride is offline  
Old 03-08-09, 07:35 PM
  #8  
jakerock
helmet brake
Thread Starter
 
jakerock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 624

Bikes: Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elTwitcho View Post
Now you know why cyclists wear a cap designed with cycling in mind.
I think its designed with the idea to let us all know that the guy wearing the hat is a little too into his bicycle and wants to give everyone else a stomach ache.

I suppose you could say that these serve a purpose too:
jakerock is offline  
Old 03-08-09, 07:39 PM
  #9  
jakerock
helmet brake
Thread Starter
 
jakerock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 624

Bikes: Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peabodypride View Post
PS, this hat is jawsome.
Finding that hat is the best thing that has happened to me today.
jakerock is offline  
Old 03-08-09, 07:47 PM
  #10  
blankgen
Senior Member
 
blankgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear one under my helmet in the rain but that's about it.
blankgen is offline  
Old 03-08-09, 07:51 PM
  #11  
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Posts: 27,268

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
I always wear a cap under my helmet... it prevents my head from getting sunburned, absorbs sweat, and prevents too much heat loss in cooler weather.

Fred that I am, I just use welding caps which are lightweight and virtually invisible.

In the winter I wear anything from a light to heavier weight toque to keep my head warm.
Sixty Fiver is offline  
Old 03-08-09, 07:51 PM
  #12  
elTwitcho
Live without dead time
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
I think its designed with the idea to let us all know that the guy wearing the hat is a little too into his bicycle and wants to give everyone else a stomach ache.
Not really dude. That's like saying clipless shoes were designed to click when people walked so everyone could know the person wearing them is a cyclist. In both cases, the form followed function.
elTwitcho is offline  
Old 03-08-09, 07:52 PM
  #13  
MIN 
big ring
 
MIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: philadelphia
Posts: 5,838
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they fit under helmets, keep the sweat out of your eyes, deflects the wind and rain at speed. there is a reason why the basic shape hasn't changed in a 80+ years.
MIN is offline  
Old 03-08-09, 08:01 PM
  #14  
jakerock
helmet brake
Thread Starter
 
jakerock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 624

Bikes: Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow... People are REALLY into the caps!
Good and illuminating arguments fellers, but take 'er easy 'eh?
Its just a cap.












That looks really dumb!
he he



jakerock is offline  
Old 03-08-09, 08:09 PM
  #15  
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!
 
Syncmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Was this really something you felt warranted starting a thread about?....
Syncmaster is offline  
Old 03-08-09, 08:10 PM
  #16  
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries
 
fuzz2050's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MIN View Post
they fit under helmets, keep the sweat out of your eyes, deflects the wind and rain at speed. there is a reason why the basic shape hasn't changed in a 80+ years.
Don't forget, they also don't get blown off by the slightest breeze, see if your hot dog hat can manage that!
fuzz2050 is offline  
Old 03-08-09, 08:14 PM
  #17  
xsnakobx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
Wow... People are REALLY into the caps!
Good and illuminating arguments fellers, but take 'er easy 'eh?
Its just a cap.












That looks really dumb!
he he
Just because these people can come up for reasonable arguments for the wearing of these hats (that you so obviously dislike for no real reason) "REALLY into the caps!", nor would it be a bad thing if they were. Your opinion of their appearance is just that, an opinion, and when it comes down to it opinion doesn't matter when faced with fact. I don't like the way I look when I roll my pant-legs up, but I do it because I don't have riding pants (and it's just cold enough that I don't want to wear shorts). Simple as that.
xsnakobx is offline  
Old 03-08-09, 08:15 PM
  #18  
jakerock
helmet brake
Thread Starter
 
jakerock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 624

Bikes: Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzz2050 View Post
Don't forget, they also don't get blown off by the slightest breeze, see if your hot dog hat can manage that!
Hehe... Thats what im talking about!
jakerock is offline  
Old 03-08-09, 08:17 PM
  #19  
jakerock
helmet brake
Thread Starter
 
jakerock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 624

Bikes: Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xsnakobx View Post
Just because these people can come up for reasonable arguments for the wearing of these hats (that you so obviously dislike for no real reason) "REALLY into the caps!", nor would it be a bad thing if they were. Your opinion of their appearance is just that, an opinion, and when it comes down to it opinion doesn't matter when faced with fact. I don't like the way I look when I roll my pant-legs up, but I do it because I don't have riding pants (and it's just cold enough that I don't want to wear shorts). Simple as that.
I only roll up ONE pant leg, and keep in mind that the idea of "reasonable arguments" is only an OPINION as well. Same as my opinion that the hats are really just a sort of "gang sign" that you are a silly person.
jakerock is offline  
Old 03-08-09, 08:20 PM
  #20  
jakerock
helmet brake
Thread Starter
 
jakerock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 624

Bikes: Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Syncmaster View Post
Was this really something you felt warranted starting a thread about?....
Well, no. It was a little bet that I made with a friend that I could get you you respond to a post about funny hats so... mission accomplished / thread closed (I win!)

jakerock is offline  
Old 03-08-09, 08:21 PM
  #21  
Jabba Degrassi
FNG
 
Jabba Degrassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 2,313

Bikes: 2008 IRO Angus, 2008 Jamis Exile 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
Wow... People are REALLY into the caps!
Good and illuminating arguments fellers, but take 'er easy 'eh?
Its just a cap.
Maybe you're getting that impression because you're being an idiot. We've given you plenty of legitimate functions a cycling cap can fill. It keeps sweat out of your eyes, it keeps the sun out of your eyes, you can flip it up to get the brim out of the way (useful if you're in the drops and want to be able to see in front of you but don't want to bend your neck 90 degrees), and they can be used as a rag in a pinch. What do we get in return? "Yeah, whatever, but isn't it still pretty much just like a [insert some dumbass picture you found on a party supply website]?

You started off with this ridiculous assumption that there is no functional reason to wear a cycling cap, and despite all evidence to the contrary, you're clutching this stupid notion of yours like you just gave birth to the damn thing. Is it really that hard to admit when you're wrong about something?

You don't want to wear them? Fine, I honestly couldn't care less. You want to be an idiot about it? Fine, what's one more?
Jabba Degrassi is offline  
Old 03-08-09, 08:24 PM
  #22  
Jabba Degrassi
FNG
 
Jabba Degrassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 2,313

Bikes: 2008 IRO Angus, 2008 Jamis Exile 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
Well, no. It was a little bet that I made with a friend that I could get you you respond to a post about funny hats so... mission accomplished / thread closed.


Nice work, idiot. You got people to respond to a post. Your mother must be very proud. You're surely the first!
Jabba Degrassi is offline  
Old 03-08-09, 08:29 PM
  #23  
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 11,375

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
I always wear a cap under my helmet... it prevents my head from getting sunburned, absorbs sweat, and prevents too much heat loss in cooler weather.

Fred that I am, I just use welding caps which are lightweight and virtually invisible.

In the winter I wear anything from a light to heavier weight toque to keep my head warm.
+1 to both of those.
I shave my head (I'm mostly bald anyhow) and w/o a cap under my helmet I'll get sunburn. Sunscreen isn't an option because when I sweat it will drip down into my eyes.
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline  
Old 03-08-09, 08:30 PM
  #24  
jakerock
helmet brake
Thread Starter
 
jakerock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 624

Bikes: Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jabba Degrassi View Post
Maybe you're getting that impression because you're being an idiot. We've given you plenty of legitimate functions a cycling cap can fill. It keeps sweat out of your eyes, it keeps the sun out of your eyes, you can flip it up to get the brim out of the way (useful if you're in the drops and want to be able to see in front of you but don't want to bend your neck 90 degrees), and they can be used as a rag in a pinch. What do we get in return? "Yeah, whatever, but isn't it still pretty much just like a [insert some dumbass picture you found on a party supply website]?

You started off with this ridiculous assumption that there is no functional reason to wear a cycling cap, and despite all evidence to the contrary, you're clutching this stupid notion of yours like you just gave birth to the damn thing. Is it really that hard to admit when you're wrong about something?

You don't want to wear them? Fine, I honestly couldn't care less. You want to be an idiot about it? Fine, what's one more?
1. I never said "there is no functional reason to wear a cycling cap"
2. If I had, that would not necessarily be a ridiculous assumption
3. Why would you ever use your hat as a rag? Dont be silly.
4. You are really into defending biker caps!
5. Maybe I CAN see a use for them that isnt mentioned



6. Sorry you dont like party supply websites!
jakerock is offline  
Old 03-08-09, 09:00 PM
  #25  
Jabba Degrassi
FNG
 
Jabba Degrassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 2,313

Bikes: 2008 IRO Angus, 2008 Jamis Exile 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
1. I never said "there is no functional reason to wear a cycling cap"
No? Well you did post cycling caps side-by-side with other hats and accessories that have no functional purpose. You certainly implied it hard enough.

Also,

"I think its designed with the idea to let us all know that the guy wearing the hat is a little too into his bicycle and wants to give everyone else a stomach ache."

Although I could see the usefulness of giving your opponents a stomach ache during a race, it seems pretty obvious you think these caps are purely fashion accessories.

2. If I had, that would not necessarily be a ridiculous assumption
Seeing as how there are functional reasons to wear a cycling cap, yes, it would be a ridiculous assumption, especially in light of the information you've been presented with in this thread.

3. Why would you ever use your hat as a rag? Dont be silly.
Because you need but do not have one?

4. You are really into defending biker caps!
I am really into showing people how stupid they are behaving when they behave stupidly.

5. Maybe I CAN see a use for them that isnt mentioned

Those aren't cycling caps. Did somebody poke the soft spot in your skull or something?

6. Sorry you dont like party supply websites!
I never said that.
Jabba Degrassi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.