Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

The Jackass Thread lives! ►PLEASE READ 1ST POST◄

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

The Jackass Thread lives! ►PLEASE READ 1ST POST◄

Old 11-29-16, 11:48 PM
  #4276  
TenSpeedV2
Senior Member
 
TenSpeedV2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,364

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
I don't know. Task specific titanium build, carbon wheels, $17k price tag. That stuff that looks JA is actually built specifically for the ride, not necessarily the bike we would all ride on a daily basis. Carver makes some sick bikes, and to have the owner build one for you, that's pretty BA.

I bet it is slow, handles like crap, feels pretty heavy, but will still put a huge smile on your face.
TenSpeedV2 is offline  
Old 11-30-16, 08:16 AM
  #4277  
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Posts: 7,965

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
I don't know.

Guy plans on pedaling from the south pole to the coast of Antarctica and built the bike specifically for the task.

Rad orange pedals too.

https://gearjunkie.com/4-wheel-bike-...ca-van-weelden
Originally Posted by Mumonkan View Post
There's actually a fatbike museum in alaska that chronicles the evolution of snow bikes. There has been some really wild **** in the past
Why they're using such **** tires on a custom bike with carbon rims is beyond me, however

Also; clearance on that rear is close even for trail riding let alone snow. Maybe it is jackass...
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2 View Post
I don't know. Task specific titanium build, carbon wheels, $17k price tag. That stuff that looks JA is actually built specifically for the ride, not necessarily the bike we would all ride on a daily basis. Carver makes some sick bikes, and to have the owner build one for you, that's pretty BA.

I bet it is slow, handles like crap, feels pretty heavy, but will still put a huge smile on your face.

Mumonkan spotted what I saw as JA. For a bike specifically designed for snow, it looks like it will be worthless in snow. Those tires are going to pick up gobs of snow and carry it to those tight spots at the rear frame as well as the fork, where it will instantly collect, forming a massive dam, rendering the bike immobile. If there is any wet snow followed by changing conditions/temps, it will be rendered useless in a heartbeat.

On a road that gets plowed, but has a packed snow surface, that thing would move along I guess. But look at it. Even without the tolerance issues, humping that thing through 12 inches of fresh fallen would be a F'ing nightmare. It aint gonna magically float across the surface. No, it's gonna cut a groove, and the that groove is too wide for human legs IMO. Loaded with camping supplies? Forget it. You'd make better time and use less energy walking.

TenSpeeedV2. You mentioned a smile. I don't know man. I look at that thing and all I see is drudging and misery. Like riding up the biggest hill, against a monster headwind, in the rain.
SquidPuppet is offline  
Old 11-30-16, 08:45 AM
  #4278  
TenSpeedV2
Senior Member
 
TenSpeedV2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,364

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only based on my guess, I am thinking that the winter conditions in Antarctica are different than the US. I don't know how much fresh snow there is, because I would imagine that it is mostly ice and that the winds blow the powder off of it and the sun melts the top and the cold wind freezes it, especially at night. Since there isn't much there other than barren land, the wind has nothing to block it.

I tried pedaling a 4" tire fat bike through a foot of powder/fresh snow. You can't do it. Especially on that monster with 2 5" wide tires front and rear. I am hoping that he has researched what the conditions would be like and made an educated decision from that. I mean, spending 17k on a bike, pretty sure he didn't just plunk that down on a hope.
TenSpeedV2 is offline  
Old 11-30-16, 08:48 AM
  #4279  
franswa
Senior Member
 
franswa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SATX
Posts: 1,596
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
Mumonkan spotted what I saw as JA. For a bike specifically designed for snow, it looks like it will be worthless in snow. Those tires are going to pick up gobs of snow and carry it to those tight spots at the rear frame as well as the fork, where it will instantly collect, forming a massive dam, rendering the bike immobile. If there is any wet snow followed by changing conditions/temps, it will be rendered useless in a heartbeat.

On a road that gets plowed, but has a packed snow surface, that thing would move along I guess. But look at it. Even without the tolerance issues, humping that thing through 12 inches of fresh fallen would be a F'ing nightmare. It aint gonna magically float across the surface. No, it's gonna cut a groove, and the that groove is too wide for human legs IMO. Loaded with camping supplies? Forget it. You'd make better time and use less energy walking.

TenSpeeedV2. You mentioned a smile. I don't know man. I look at that thing and all I see is drudging and misery. Like riding up the biggest hill, against a monster headwind, in the rain.
Once again, I must concur with the cephalopod marionette(this madness has to stop!). While it doesn't look 100% JA, I don't think it's (a) not well thought out and executed or (b) at all necessary.
franswa is offline  
Old 11-30-16, 09:16 AM
  #4280  
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Posts: 7,965

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2 View Post
Only based on my guess, I am thinking that the winter conditions in Antarctica are different than the US. I don't know how much fresh snow there is, because I would imagine that it is mostly ice and that the winds blow the powder off of it and the sun melts the top and the cold wind freezes it, especially at night. Since there isn't much there other than barren land, the wind has nothing to block it.

I tried pedaling a 4" tire fat bike through a foot of powder/fresh snow. You can't do it. Especially on that monster with 2 5" wide tires front and rear. I am hoping that he has researched what the conditions would be like and made an educated decision from that. I mean, spending 17k on a bike, pretty sure he didn't just plunk that down on a hope.

This is what confuses me too. I don't know the conditions, but suspect like you do, it's more like an ice field. And if it is, I'd use narrow (maybe3 inches?) tires with metal studs.

Another thing that seems JA is that the chain runs to the rear hub between the two rear tires. That guarantees the chain will be in a constant state of torture from all the muck the tires pull forward. Might even make it harder to pedal.

The dude seems qualified for the journey though. He's been on Mt. Everest expeditions, taught survival classes, and done bike endurance competitions. Although,

A woman already did the run 3 years ago on a recumbent trike.


Not me man. No way.










Last edited by SquidPuppet; 11-30-16 at 09:21 AM.
SquidPuppet is offline  
Old 11-30-16, 09:47 AM
  #4281  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
TimothyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 13,827

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6242 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2 View Post
Only based on my guess, I am thinking that the winter conditions in Antarctica are different than the US.

I am hoping that he has researched what the conditions would be like and made an educated decision from that. I mean, spending 17k on a bike, pretty sure he didn't just plunk that down on a hope.
I'm reasonably sure that the post above is accurate, that the difference between a continent which has been below freezing for a thousand centuries is different from North America.

The guy is an experience mountaineer and Mt. Everest is an impressive bullet point on his resume. I'll defer to his expertise and hope he makes it.

There is no 911 if something goes wrong. I've only known that feeling twice in my life. It is very unnerving.


Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
Not me man. No way.
It is a dry cold.



-Tim-
TimothyH is offline  
Old 11-30-16, 10:10 AM
  #4282  
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Posts: 7,965

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
It is a dry cold.
Well then, comfy cozy.
SquidPuppet is offline  
Old 12-02-16, 03:20 PM
  #4283  
skidder
Evil Genius
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 842

Bikes: Why yes, I do! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
This is what confuses me too. I don't know the conditions, but suspect like you do, it's more like an ice field. And if it is, I'd use narrow (maybe3 inches?) tires with metal studs.

Another thing that seems JA is that the chain runs to the rear hub between the two rear tires. That guarantees the chain will be in a constant state of torture from all the muck the tires pull forward. Might even make it harder to pedal.

The dude seems qualified for the journey though. He's been on Mt. Everest expeditions, taught survival classes, and done bike endurance competitions. Although,

A woman already did the run 3 years ago on a recumbent trike.


Not me man. No way.





I thought she aborted the trip after only about 100 miles. She was pushing the bike for a significant amount of time due to the varying conditions, and the bicycle's mechanical features were having problems with the cold (lubes turning to gel and greases almost solidifying, tires routinely caking up with snow).

From the few folks I've known who have been there say when the weather gets bad its pretty horrific, even in the Southern Summer (our northern winter). When storms do rage across the area they are pretty severe and can last for days. Conditions aren't the greatest either - snowdrifts, rocks, glaciers with crevasses around the edge of the continent. One positive is the central plateau is relatively flat with a minimal number of crevasses, but it is 9000-10,000 ft in elevation and gets some nightmare windstorms blowing through the area
skidder is offline  
Old 12-02-16, 03:38 PM
  #4284  
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Posts: 7,965

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder View Post
I thought she aborted the trip after only about 100 miles. She was pushing the bike for a significant amount of time due to the varying conditions, and the bicycle's mechanical features were having problems with the cold (lubes turning to gel and greases almost solidifying, tires routinely caking up with snow).

From the few folks I've known who have been there say when the weather gets bad its pretty horrific, even in the Southern Summer (our northern winter). When storms do rage across the area they are pretty severe and can last for days. Conditions aren't the greatest either - snowdrifts, rocks, glaciers with crevasses around the edge of the continent. One positive is the central plateau is relatively flat with a minimal number of crevasses, but it is 9000-10,000 ft in elevation and gets some nightmare windstorms blowing through the area

She made it. And beat two others who started days before her.

Shortly before Christmas, we heard about 35 year-old British adventurer Maria Leijerstam's planned attempt to ride to the South Pole on a recumbent fat-tired tricycle. On December 27th at 1am GMT, she achieved that goal, becoming the first person to ever successfully cycle from the edge of the Antarctic continent to the Pole.
More details here...

World's first cycle to the South Pole achieved
SquidPuppet is offline  
Old 12-10-16, 01:29 PM
  #4285  
JeremyLC
Senior Member
 
JeremyLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 1,417

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 2010 Fuji Track Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Not sure this will work)

JeremyLC is offline  
Old 12-10-16, 02:16 PM
  #4286  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
TimothyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 13,827

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6242 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by JeremyLC View Post
(Not sure this will work)
A 1 minute 19 second video of a still picture of a bike on youtube to try to sell it...
TimothyH is offline  
Old 12-10-16, 03:14 PM
  #4287  
blacky94
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Austria
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
Reminds me of this:



Car Wheel Bicycle - The Learn To Weld Project
blacky94 is offline  
Old 12-10-16, 08:21 PM
  #4288  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
TimothyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 13,827

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6242 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by blacky94 View Post
Reminds me of this:
That reminds me of Austin Powers three point turn...

TimothyH is offline  
Old 12-10-16, 08:24 PM
  #4289  
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner
 
Mumonkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Bad Woods.
Posts: 8,806
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At first I was all like "no."

But now I'm all "i kinda want that"
Mumonkan is offline  
Old 12-11-16, 12:30 PM
  #4290  
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Posts: 7,965

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mumonkan View Post
At first I was all like "no."

But now I'm all "i kinda want that"

No.
SquidPuppet is offline  
Old 12-11-16, 08:39 PM
  #4291  
Jixr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Picked this pile of crap look 464 up this weekend.

On the line between jackass, and awesome.
( more like some jackass got his hands on an awesome bike )

look 464 Paul hubs, paul crank, no name carbon everything, but the JA goes to its horribly ****ty paintjob complete with "420's" the local area code, a few marry jane plants, and other goofy ****. Also, they drilled the legs of the carbon fork and frame to wire up a front hub generator to power the super dim front and rear light. Thankfully I picked it up for pennies at the local police auction ( always a good sign ) and am hoping I can make a few bucks off it.



But, I felt it could be saved.


Last edited by Jixr; 12-12-16 at 10:21 AM.
Jixr is offline  
Old 12-11-16, 08:47 PM
  #4292  
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner
 
Mumonkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Bad Woods.
Posts: 8,806
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
No.
Mumonkan is offline  
Old 12-11-16, 09:39 PM
  #4293  
TenSpeedV2
Senior Member
 
TenSpeedV2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,364

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jixr View Post


On the line between jackass, and awesome.
( more like some jackass got his hands on an awesome bike )

look 464 Phill hubs, phill crank, no name carbon everything, but the JA goes to its horribly ****ty paintjob complete with "420's" the local area code, a few marry jane plants, and other goofy ****. Also, they drilled the legs of the carbon fork and frame to wire up a front hub generator to power the super dim front and rear light. Thankfully I picked it up for pennies at the local police auction ( always a good sign ) and am hoping I can make a few bucks off it.



But, I felt it could be saved.

That's a pretty good save. Gonna ride or sell?
TenSpeedV2 is offline  
Old 12-11-16, 09:43 PM
  #4294  
Jixr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
plan is to sell, picked it up at a police auction for pennies, letting it go cheap and still should be able to put a few bucks in my pocket for christmas shopping

Its a hair too big for me. ( 55 and I ride a 51 and 53 )

Last edited by Jixr; 12-12-16 at 10:25 AM.
Jixr is offline  
Old 12-12-16, 08:23 AM
  #4295  
JeremyLC
Senior Member
 
JeremyLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 1,417

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 2010 Fuji Track Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's not a Phil Wood crankset. It looks like a red anodized Paul Royal Flush(*). Does Paul do custom colors, or did this guy spraypaint it in some way?


*) There is no bike (that I've seen) on which these look good.
JeremyLC is offline  
Old 12-12-16, 09:13 AM
  #4296  
franswa
Senior Member
 
franswa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SATX
Posts: 1,596
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeremyLC View Post
That's not a Phil Wood crankset. It looks like a red anodized Paul Royal Flush(*). Does Paul do custom colors, or did this guy spraypaint it in some way?


*) There is no bike (that I've seen) on which these look good.


^^I am not sure why this monstrosity still exists.
franswa is offline  
Old 12-12-16, 09:44 AM
  #4297  
Jixr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry, yeah, paul crank and hubs, not phill.

Its a stock color, i've seen silver, black, red, purple, and i'm sure there are were other color options at some point ( did have to scrub off some of the paint pen 420-blaze-it-yolo-bro crap that was on there though )

I was going to put them on my pista, but they are too flashy for me, so i'm going to sell them off. Though if you like them I'm going to be selling them at a quarter of the MSRP. I live in a major hipster city, and with the huge FG scene here should be easy to sell it.

Last edited by Jixr; 12-12-16 at 10:26 AM.
Jixr is offline  
Old 12-12-16, 12:13 PM
  #4298  
50voltphantom
Senior Member
 
50voltphantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SD
Posts: 2,655

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by franswa View Post
^^I am not sure why this monstrosity still exists.
It is weird considering everything else he makes is super utilitarian in nature.
50voltphantom is offline  
Old 12-12-16, 10:09 PM
  #4299  
franswa
Senior Member
 
franswa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SATX
Posts: 1,596
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jixr View Post

Picked this pile of crap look 464 up this weekend.

On the line between jackass, and awesome.
( more like some jackass got his hands on an awesome bike )

look 464 Paul hubs, paul crank, no name carbon everything, but the JA goes to its horribly ****ty paintjob complete with "420's" the local area code, a few marry jane plants, and other goofy ****. Also, they drilled the legs of the carbon fork and frame to wire up a front hub generator to power the super dim front and rear light. Thankfully I picked it up for pennies at the local police auction ( always a good sign ) and am hoping I can make a few bucks off it.



But, I felt it could be saved.


Ha! Just saw this on Austin Bikelist.
franswa is offline  
Old 12-13-16, 10:21 PM
  #4300  
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius
 
Broctoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Muskrat Springs, Utah
Posts: 617
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jixr View Post
sorry, yeah, paul crank and hubs, not phill.

I was going to put them on my pista, but they are too flashy for me, so i'm going to sell them off. Though if you like them I'm going to be selling them at a quarter of the MSRP.

I'm interested in buying that Paul royal flush crankset from you. I know they are quite unpopular on this forum, but I like them. PM me if you still have it and you're interested in making a deal.
Broctoon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.