Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Container for Heet fuel

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Container for Heet fuel

Old 06-07-24, 09:49 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,521
Liked 1,398 Times in 735 Posts
Container for Heet fuel

The bottle Heet came in leaks at the cap. I tried a bottle I have used for chain lube and it is also leaking at the cap. Outside of a metal fuel bottle, is there a smallish plastic bottle others here have used with success to store Heet in while on tour?
TiHabanero is offline  
Old 06-07-24, 12:09 PM
  #2  
imi
aka Timi
 
imi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 3,299

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Liked 160 Times in 115 Posts
I use 50cl PET soda bottles. Works fine. It sits snug in a small Topeak adjustable bottle cage (same as the one the blue bottle is in)

Maybe worth putting a skull Ďn crossbones sticker on if youíre worried about it being drunk by mistake 🏴‍☠️


Last edited by imi; 06-07-24 at 12:49 PM.
imi is offline  
Old 06-07-24, 04:07 PM
  #3  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 13,326
Liked 1,004 Times in 825 Posts
Ive carried alcohol also in plastic coke bottles or whatever--but I also would want to emphasize the risks of using any sort of regular looking drink container that could be mistakenly drunk from.

The other issue is overtightening to be "sure" its tight, and slightly cracking the cap or whatever and then having a mess happen.

I've had other small plastic containers that I have tried leak a bit, so now prefer to use a metal fuel bottle.

This makes me remember seeing folks selling gasoline in 1.5L or 2L plastic pop bottles along the side of the highway in Latin America.
djb is offline  
Old 06-07-24, 06:03 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 39,975
Liked 16,510 Times in 7,741 Posts
Seems like a risky way to save weight. MSR metal bottles come in various sizes. 11, 20 and 30 ounces.

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-07-24 at 06:06 PM.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-07-24, 08:41 PM
  #5  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 13,326
Liked 1,004 Times in 825 Posts
The last time I used a non spec plastic bottle was a two nighter, and was trying to keep volume low. Used a small bottle with only 100ml in it, all I needed and it was so small I could easily fit it into a small space in my half frame bag. Turn. C
Before that I'd use the same container on a different over nighter, and used the empty coke bottle when I had to buy some alcohol from some lady's house in some small town somewhere in Latin America.
Didn't leak!
djb is offline  
Old 06-08-24, 05:04 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
staehpj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 11,918

Bikes: Several

Liked 779 Times in 574 Posts
I've used the yellow Heet bottles without any issues. I didn't break the factory seal until I was ready to use some and after that it was packed where it was kept upright when the bike was upright. I never noticed any leakage onto my other gear even though the bike was laid on it's side sometimes.

That said, you might try making a better gasket for the yellow Heet bottle cap. That or finding a better cap that fits the yellow Heet bottle.

Way back in the day I have used pop bottles. They work great other than the risk of being mistaken for a beverage. I drew skulls and crossbones all over them, but I still don't recommend that as sufficient. Personally I might consider a combination of labeling and keeping it packed away where you are the only one who has access to it. If going that route get it out only for use and pack it away as soon as done with it. Probably better to use a real fuel bottle though.

Edit to add:
I was checking on something I had read about a custom spout cap for the yellow Heet bottle and read that the yellow Heet cap changed sometime in the last several years. I had a bunch of bottles in stock and hadn't bought any on the road in some time and if I had recently they might have been old stock. So bottom line, I probably have no experience with the current cap that is on the yellow Heet bottles and my comment may be based on an old cap design.

Last edited by staehpj1; 06-08-24 at 05:28 AM.
staehpj1 is offline  
Old 06-08-24, 06:21 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Golden, CO and Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,870

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Liked 801 Times in 449 Posts
Ditto on the repurposed water bottle with very clear markings.
andrewclaus is offline  
Old 06-08-24, 07:20 AM
  #8  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 13,326
Liked 1,004 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Way back in the day I have used pop bottles. They work great other than the risk of being mistaken for a beverage. I drew skulls and crossbones all over them, but I still don't recommend that as sufficient. Personally I might consider a combination of labeling and keeping it packed away where you are the only one who has access to it. If going that route get it out only for use and pack it away as soon as done with it. Probably better to use a real fuel bottle though.
.
thats pretty much was my take on it also, and what I did, keeping it in my bag.
The other times I used other smaller containers was really just to have a physically smaller container when I knew I only needed 100 or 150ml.

I have used other containers on trips where I had my real fuel bottle, but had to buy more alcohol for my Trangia that would fit in the fuel bottle.

Oh, I realize I had slight leak issues more when using a non pop bottle combined with it being more horizontal in bikepacking bags and being on rough surfaces with a lot more cap loosening vibrations--so perhaps take that last part into account also and consider a proper fuel bottle with a really good cap system.
djb is offline  
Old 06-08-24, 07:34 AM
  #9  
imi
aka Timi
 
imi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 3,299

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Liked 160 Times in 115 Posts
Iíve never had anyone randomly drinking out of one of my bottles, but hey maybe people do.
But if so, Iím not sure a metal bottle that looks like a nice coffee thermos is going to help.

Homeless alcoholics in Sweden are known to drink denatured alcohol 🤢

I keep my PET bottle in its bottle cage when not in use, and remove the soda label.

Last edited by imi; 06-08-24 at 07:37 AM.
imi is offline  
Old 06-08-24, 07:34 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
staehpj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 11,918

Bikes: Several

Liked 779 Times in 574 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Seems like a risky way to save weight. MSR metal bottles come in various sizes. 11, 20 and 30 ounces.
The 11 ounce MSR bottle only weighs 4.3 ounces so the weight hit isn't huge, but the bottle isn't even meant for alcohol. Msr says alcohol will damage their bottle.

I just noticed that Vargo sells a plastic bottle specifically designed as an alcohol fuel bottle. The 8 ounce bottle weighs only‎ 9.07 g. I have no experience with it, but lt looks like a good choice.
staehpj1 is offline  
Old 06-08-24, 07:43 AM
  #11  
imi
aka Timi
 
imi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 3,299

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Liked 160 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I just noticed that Vargo sells a plastic bottle specifically designed as an alcohol fuel bottle. The 8 ounce bottle weighs only‎ 9.07 g. I have no experience with it, but lt looks like a good choice.
I checked out the Vargo bottle. It has a flip top, which is a no-no for me. Hand on heart, shampoo bottle anybody?
imi is offline  
Old 06-08-24, 08:01 AM
  #12  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 13,326
Liked 1,004 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
The 11 ounce MSR bottle only weighs 4.3 ounces so the weight hit isn't huge, but the bottle isn't even meant for alcohol. Msr says alcohol will damage their bottle.

I just noticed that Vargo sells a plastic bottle specifically designed as an alcohol fuel bottle. The 8 ounce bottle weighs only‎ 9.07 g. I have no experience with it, but lt looks like a good choice.
I recall reading that and figuring, what the heck, and using it anyway. I even tried to see if there was some sort of liner inside the aluminum on the inside, but don't remember seeing one and not really knowing what could happen--it must be a corrosion thing, kinda like you get that funny white dust going on with aluminum sometimes.
Anyway, I used it anyway and I dont think I kept alcohol in it when back from trips, but could be wrong, would have to check.

If it is a corrosion thing, I suspect the issue is because of the pressurizing that takes place with a pump system like for with a Whisper Lite or whatever, and they dont want any risk of leakage due to the pressure and seals or something.
djb is offline  
Old 06-08-24, 08:03 AM
  #13  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 13,326
Liked 1,004 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
I checked out the Vargo bottle. It has a flip top, which is a no-no for me. Hand on heart, shampoo bottle anybody?
Without seeing this bottle in hand, I imagine the little flip top is quite stiff to flip up, so wouldnt be an issue in a bag. You wouldnt think it would be a problem given that it is sold specifically for fuel use.
djb is offline  
Old 06-08-24, 08:08 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
staehpj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 11,918

Bikes: Several

Liked 779 Times in 574 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
If it is a corrosion thing, I suspect the issue is because of the pressurizing that takes place with a pump system like for with a Whisper Lite or whatever, and they dont want any risk of leakage due to the pressure and seals or something.
Not sure, but I read something about the coating in the bottle not being okay with alcohol.

Oh, and again no experience with them, but Trangia makes 1L and .5L bottles for alcohol.
staehpj1 is offline  
Old 06-08-24, 08:19 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
staehpj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 11,918

Bikes: Several

Liked 779 Times in 574 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I have used other containers on trips where I had my real fuel bottle, but had to buy more alcohol for my Trangia that would fit in the fuel bottle.
I have always been able to find 12 ounce yellow Heet when/where I have needed fuel. I figure any container that can hold at least that is big enough for me for where I have toured so far. I have never had unopened Heet bottles leak so if necessary I could carry a second bottle.

That said, in a pinch, if I had to buy a larger container of fuel that I wanted to carry and didn''t like the container it came in I'd resort to whatever bottles I could find in the trash (pop, bottled water, etc.). If I was worried that they were a risk for someone drinking them I'd keep them packed out of sight and segregated from food and drink. That is an unlikely situation for me since I don't tend to need much fuel at a time.
staehpj1 is offline  
Old 06-08-24, 08:25 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
staehpj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 11,918

Bikes: Several

Liked 779 Times in 574 Posts
I have not felt the need, but maybe some minor leakage might be handled by putting bottles in a Ziploc bag. The bag could be labeled and used as an additional means of segregating the fuel and preventing anyone from drinking it.
staehpj1 is offline  
Old 06-08-24, 08:34 AM
  #17  
imi
aka Timi
 
imi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 3,299

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Liked 160 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Oh, and again no experience with them, but Trangia makes 1L and .5L bottles for alcohol.
Iíve had one of the 0,5 L ones for ages but only use it when Iím out in the woods overnight at home.

Never took it on tour though.Quality is top-notch as one would expect, but ĒheavyĒ compared to a PET bottle. Iím assuming Trangia havenít changed the design since the í80s. Could be wrong, but they seem not to change things if it ainít broke, which their gear rarely is.

Last edited by imi; 06-08-24 at 08:40 AM.
imi is offline  
Old 06-08-24, 08:48 AM
  #18  
imi
aka Timi
 
imi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 3,299

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Liked 160 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Without seeing this bottle in hand, I imagine the little flip top is quite stiff to flip up, so wouldnt be an issue in a bag. You wouldnt think it would be a problem given that it is sold specifically for fuel use.
Flip-tops typically have a little notch for your finger. If that caught on something while putting it in a bag, there would be more than enough force to open it. Iíll stick to screw tops.

Could be just the lingering trauma of said shampoo bottle a long long time ago.

I do have a subconscious habit of checking that screwed on caps are actually screwed on when putting them away
imi is offline  
Old 06-08-24, 09:32 AM
  #19  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 13,326
Liked 1,004 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
Flip-tops typically have a little notch for your finger. If that caught on something while putting it in a bag, there would be more than enough force to open it. Iíll stick to screw tops.

Could be just the lingering trauma of said shampoo bottle a long long time ago.

I do have a subconscious habit of checking that screwed on caps are actually screwed on when putting them away
fair enough. I sometimes put things that can get caught on other things, inside a plastic bag and twist the top tightly, to try to avoid this.
I too always check lids. My partner consistently leaves lids loose on things, so it depends on the person also.
djb is offline  
Likes For djb:
Old 06-08-24, 02:35 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
phughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,263
Liked 1,489 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Not sure, but I read something about the coating in the bottle not being okay with alcohol.

Oh, and again no experience with them, but Trangia makes 1L and .5L bottles for alcohol.
Yeah, I just read that. There are plenty of other fuel bottles that are not affected by alcohol though. CAMPEAK is one, and I believe Trangia as well. I find it very odd that MSR would make theirs such that you cannot store alcohol in them, but they do.
phughes is offline  
Old 06-09-24, 04:49 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2,681
Liked 681 Times in 543 Posts
Looking up, my guess is you are using HEET product that removes water from gasoline (aka "dry gas") that used to be methanol but I think now is isopropyl alcohol? DON'T use a typical HDPE Nalgene bottle; HDPE is supposed to be safe with isopropyl alcohol, but turned mine brittle, dropped on floor and cracks everywhere (very abnormal for HDPE) holding 90% iso for 6 months in my first aid kit. After emptying I squeezed bottle, entire bottle turned to spiderweb of cracks. Very weird because bottle that alcohol comes in from store, says HDPE on bottom, same as Nalgene bottle.
Duragrouch is offline  
Old 06-09-24, 04:55 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2,681
Liked 681 Times in 543 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Yeah, I just read that. There are plenty of other fuel bottles that are not affected by alcohol though. CAMPEAK is one, and I believe Trangia as well. I find it very odd that MSR would make theirs such that you cannot store alcohol in them, but they do.
Well, not really, as MSR stoves are designed to burn a big variety of petro and biofuels, *except* alcohol, as the air/fuel ratio is much different, more like 8:1 versus 14.7:1 for gasoline/petrol. A plastic liner that might make the aluminum alcohol-safe, might be easily attacked by the other fuels.

Trangia stoves burn alcohol, so no surprise their bottles are designed for it.

IIRC, cars that allowed a high-ethanol mixture of gasohol (E-85), required stainless-steel fuel lines (and possibly fuel tank) instead of aluminum or plastic. Such cars have a little corn-leaf symbol and say FFV (Flex-Fuel Vehicle) on the car.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 06-09-24 at 05:10 AM.
Duragrouch is offline  
Old 06-09-24, 06:38 AM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
staehpj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 11,918

Bikes: Several

Liked 779 Times in 574 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Looking up, my guess is you are using HEET product that removes water from gasoline (aka "dry gas") that used to be methanol but I think now is isopropyl alcohol?
My understanding is as follows:
Yellow bottle Heet is methanol. Red bottle ISO-Heet is propanol. Folks use the yellow bittle stuff in their stoves and avoid the red bottle product

Last edited by staehpj1; 06-09-24 at 06:57 AM.
staehpj1 is offline  
Old 06-09-24, 10:57 AM
  #24  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,521
Liked 1,398 Times in 735 Posts
Thanks for the tip on Trangia bottles. The stove is a Trangia and didn't know they had fuel containers.
TiHabanero is offline  
Old 06-09-24, 03:19 PM
  #25  
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 14,238

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,340 Times in 2,898 Posts
I would go with Everclear burns cleaner than the other stuff. I know not as cheap but food safe and cleaner burning.
veganbikes is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.