Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Montour Trail

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Montour Trail

Old 06-03-14, 08:17 AM
  #1  
alan s 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 6,947
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 117 Posts
Montour Trail

Planning to ride from DC to Pittsburgh over the 4th of July weekend on the C&O and GAP. The original plan was to rent a car at Allegheny County Airport near McKeesport and drive home to the DC area Sunday afternoon, but the car rental place is closed on Sunday. Unable to adjust the trip to arrive Saturday or Monday, so another option is to ride the additional distance to Pittsburg Int'l Airport and rent a car there. Looks like an additional 40 miles or so.

I've looked at the Montour Trail website, and it seems as though there are still a few unfinished sections on the southern end, but what's not clear is whether the trail is somewhat flat or hilly. Also, is the connector to PIA finished, or will that section require riding on the road?

Perhaps an option would be to ride into downtown Pittsburgh on the GAP and then out to the airport, but the roads don't look very bike friendly. Or find alternate transport to the airport. If I ride to the airport, my stops need to be adjusted to make the last day a reasonably short ride. I do have a friend in the Pittsburgh area who could possibly help out, but would prefer to do the entire trip on my own. Any local knowledge would be helpful.
alan s is offline  
Old 06-03-14, 12:12 PM
  #2  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 30,331
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13322 Post(s)
Liked 5,982 Times in 3,070 Posts
What time do you think you could you get into PGH? There is an Avis agency on Baum Blvd. (corner of Baum & Melwood), close to U. Pitt., but it's only open on Sunday until 12 p.m. That might be cutting it close if you get delayed for some reason.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 06-03-14, 01:25 PM
  #3  
alan s 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 6,947
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
What time do you think you could you get into PGH? There is an Avis agency on Baum Blvd. (corner of Baum & Melwood), close to U. Pitt., but it's only open on Sunday until 12 p.m. That might be cutting it close if you get delayed for some reason.
That would be possible, but not ideal. Probably better than riding the extra distance to PIA. It would force me to finish early and hopefully get a jump on returning holiday traffic. Thanks for the info.
alan s is offline  
Old 06-03-14, 04:19 PM
  #4  
Shamrock
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Garden State exit 135
Posts: 475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
You could rent in DC drive to Pittsburg area and cycle back.I would check the hours of all things involved on a holiday weekend.I recently went to Cumberland and they had no rental cars,even after calling ahead.
Shamrock is offline  
Old 06-03-14, 04:53 PM
  #5  
alan s 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 6,947
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
You could rent in DC drive to Pittsburg area and cycle back.I would check the hours of all things involved on a holiday weekend.I recently went to Cumberland and they had no rental cars,even after calling ahead.
I considered that possibility, but the only way I can do the trip is to put in around 60 miles on Thursday after work, and the rest of the way to PGH on Fri-Sun. Day 1 would be around 60 miles from home, starting on the towpath at Mile 20. Working backwards, to be at the car rental place by noon Sunday, probably the farthest I could reasonably ride on Sunday morning is 60 miles, which puts me in Connellsville Saturday night, Cumberland Friday night, with a 100+ mile ride on Friday. I rode that stretch last year in one day going the other way, and it makes for a long day, but is certainly doable. It would be nice to have a little more flexibility, but my goal is to do a solo unsupported trip, so I have to take my lumps. Hoping for decent weather, meaning not too much rain and mud.

Guess I would have to take my chances on the rental car availability. I really would not like to miss a day of work. Saving up time for a longer tour later in the summer.
alan s is offline  
Old 06-03-14, 05:31 PM
  #6  
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,540

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3391 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 45 Posts
I am 15 minutes from the Montour trail. I am also close to the Pittsburgh airport. You could drop your bike at the airport and take the bike trail to the Montour or I could just pick you up. I would think the Pittsburgh airport office would be open. If you wanted to make some miles then there is another campsite near Harmerville just outside of Library. That one is very easy to pass up! Your next stop would be Dravo or stay at the Yough Shore Inn.

You will be riding through Glassport and Mckeesport the last half of your trip. I would highly recommend you do so before night fall. It is OK during the day and I would ride it at night only if there was no other option.

The bottom half of the Montour is full of detours but it is not too bad. It gets better all of the time. The very last part of the trail is road. It is mostly back road. Not much traffic at all. Crossing 51 can be pretty bad. But with no tour guide, I am not sure if I would recommend if you are pressed for time. When I made my tour of the GAP down the Montour, I made a bunch of scouting trips and it took me a little while to figure it out.


Too bad you can't come on Saturday. I am just getting off a two week vacation (tour around Lake Ontario) and might not be able extend it to Monday. I would have been able to act as your tour guide.

Another option would be to take the Montour from the airport to Library, PA then take the light rail (we call it the T) into Pittsburgh. IMHO the prettiest part of the Montour anyway and rivals much of the GAP.

There is a campsite at Boggs. It is not far from the Pittsburgh airport. You could drop your car and take the bike trail to Boggs and camp overnight. There is no water at Boggs but I could probably drop off a gallon for you.

One option might be if you can even get here Saturday night. I could pick you up at the airport, you crash here and Sunday morning you would have the above two options or go through the city.

If you have not been here it is well worth seeing. We have the inclines, the bridges, 3 rivers, lots of great architecture and the bicycle museum. If you left Sunday morning from here you would have time to see most of it if you stayed at Dravo campsite or stayed at the Yough Shore Inn. I highly recommend staying there. It is best I can describe as whimsical and Lynn's personality is all over it. She is a hoot.


Let me know what you decide. I might be able to make some changes. I will be back from Lake Ontario that Wednesday.

PM me for phone numbers.

Last edited by spinnaker; 06-04-14 at 10:30 AM.
spinnaker is offline  
Old 06-03-14, 05:53 PM
  #7  
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,540

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3391 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 45 Posts
Just to clarify you can take the bike trail right from landside terminal to the Montour. From there you can take the Montour or head for Pittsburgh. If you go through Pittsburgh you will want a detour from me from the Montour to the city.
spinnaker is offline  
Old 06-03-14, 07:01 PM
  #8  
Shamrock
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Garden State exit 135
Posts: 475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
There you go another trail angel popped up.I must admit I've had several.The people in pa and md were very out of the ordinary kind and helpful.Have fun!
Shamrock is offline  
Old 06-04-14, 01:27 AM
  #9  
paddybogman
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 32

Bikes: SOMA ES, Kona Super Jake, Kona Rove Ti, Voodoo Soukri

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So your going to ride 60 miles on Thursday, 100 miles on Friday and Saturday, and then 60 miles on Sunday, and then drive home from Pittsburgh? Sounds like a marathon.

It seems to me if you are time constrained its better to be moving towards home rather than away from it. That way if you need to bail its easier to have some one come and get you. Or if your running late you wont be driving on a sleep inducing interstate late Sunday evening.

If it were me I would drive to Pitt on Thursday. Camp at the Ceder Creek Campground (MM110), drop off your car early Friday and ride all day. You could land anywhere between Confluence and Rockwood on the first night. The next advantage of going eastbound is that you can ride from Deal to Cumberland almost twice as fast as you can ride from Cumberland to Deal. On Saturday you can shoot for Hancock and finish up on Sunday.

If your coming up short you could leave a car at the Point of Rocks RR station, or have some one pick you up between Harper's Ferry and home.

If you are planning on doing the whole trail when you have more time you could do an alternative route. Drive to Cumberland Thursday and do Cumberland-Pitt-Cumberland on Friday Saturday Sunday.
paddybogman is offline  
Old 06-05-14, 08:19 AM
  #10  
alan s 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 6,947
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
Just to clarify you can take the bike trail right from landside terminal to the Montour. From there you can take the Montour or head for Pittsburgh. If you go through Pittsburgh you will want a detour from me from the Montour to the city.
Appreciate the responses. Just to be clear, I am finishing in PGH, whereas your advice seems to assume I'm starting there.

I'd like to have a good route from downtown PGH to the airport as a backup in the event I don't make it to the car rental place before it closes. I don't mind riding on busy roads, so long as it's relatively safe. The guy I know in PGH said drivers there are generally not very courteous to bike riders.
alan s is offline  
Old 06-05-14, 08:25 AM
  #11  
alan s 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 6,947
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by paddybogman View Post
If you are planning on doing the whole trail when you have more time you could do an alternative route. Drive to Cumberland Thursday and do Cumberland-Pitt-Cumberland on Friday Saturday Sunday.
That's Plan B if the weather is bad or I can't make Plan A work. The GAP is better than the C&O towpath if there is a lot of rain. Actually, I would drive to Cumberland on Friday (about 4 hours) and do an out and back to PGH. Plan A is certainly a lot of miles, but I like putting in the miles on a short solo trip like this, rather than poking along and stopping to take in the scenery.
alan s is offline  
Old 06-05-14, 06:15 PM
  #12  
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,540

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3391 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s View Post
Appreciate the responses. Just to be clear, I am finishing in PGH, whereas your advice seems to assume I'm starting there.

I'd like to have a good route from downtown PGH to the airport as a backup in the event I don't make it to the car rental place before it closes. I don't mind riding on busy roads, so long as it's relatively safe. The guy I know in PGH said drivers there are generally not very courteous to bike riders.
Ah sorry. Misunderstood.

Well you could still take the light rail from Pittsburgh to Library. Then take the Montour Trail right to the airport. For some strange reason I am thinking this is going to be harder to find in the reverse direction.

The T station is on the south side near the end of the trail.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Libr...d40.496404!3e1

Basically you get off of the T in Library. The entrance to the trail is just off of Route 88 up Knights Drive. You will see the yet to be finished trestle above you before making the left. Follow the road up a steep hill and you will see the entrance to the trail on your right. Make a left onto the trail.

This part is good even if you start the Montour outside of McKeesport.

Follow the trail from Library to Imperial. From Library there are no detours except crossing some roads. It is pretty simple. You will know you are in Imperial as you will see a caboose on the right side of the trail. Make a left at the next intersection and follow the signs. From here it is pretty much road and airport service road. There is one small section where it is a little busy as there is an entrance to expressway. Once past that intersection you start on a service road again and there will be no traffic till you get to the airport parking lot.

Here is the most direct route

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.4...d40.496404!3e1

It takes you from the end of the trail in Pittsburgh. Up West Carson Street, through the West End, up Route 60 , a right on Beaver Grade Road and a left on Montour Run Road. The bike trail is on the right maybe a half mile. If you cross the over pass then you went too far. That overpass crosses the bike trail. You will make a left onto the trail. Follow the trial till you see the sign that points to the right for the airport. You know when you are approaching that turn, you will pass a ball field 2 old houses on the left. Cross a small bridge and you are almost there. The sign is just past the bridge.

West End Circle can be very hairy, Lots of traffic everywhere. Once through the circle it settles down a bit but Steuben Street is a killer of a climb. Watch you descent at the other side of the hill, you will pick up speed fast. There is a red light at the bottom of the hill and you don't want to blow through that one. Once through Crafton crossing the Thornburg bridge, it will get very busy again. The shoulders are poor to non existent. This is true for the next 2 or 3 miles. Once past that you are home free. Watch your descent again down Beaver Grade Road. Steep And lots of sharp curves.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.4...d40.496404!3e1

This option takes you across the point onto the north side. It will be your longest route from Pittsburgh but the least busy and least hilly. It will take will take you through the park or the city and past the bicycle museum.

From the end of the trail, follow the Station Sq. access road up to W Carson St. Get on the sidewalk on the Pittsburgh side of the street. Follow the sidewalk and cross the Ft. Pitt Bridge. , cross the bridge, pass through Point State Park, Cross the Ft. Duquesne Bridge. BE CAREFUL on the other side of the bridge and don't do rolling down the steps. There is a ramp (can't remember if it is to the left or right just be careful).

Once down the ramp, the trail will be behind you along the river. Make a right on the trail . A bit past the casino, you should see signs for the bicycle museum. It is well worth seeing.

Follow the trail to the end. You need to get up to the Mckees Rocks Bridge. I can fill in these details if you want me to should you go with this option.


Cross the Mckees Rocks Bridge. I usually take the road but there is a sidewalk Beware of the glass. Another issue with the sidewalk is that at the other end there is a ramp. You will need to go down the ramp then back up the other side. A real pain. The road is ok, you will be going downhill so you should get across quickly.

But the nice thing about the sidewalk is photo op. There is a heck of a view of Pittsburgh on the left side of the bridge.

Once across the bridge make a right onto Island Ave. Follow Island Ave to the Neville Island Bridge. Cross the bridge onto Neville Island. When the road comes to a T make a left. Follow that road across the Coraopolis Bridge. The trail will be off to the left but you will need to make a right because of one way street. Make the right, make the next available, left then make a left onto 5th Ave. Follow fifth Ave off to the right. The bike trail will be on the left just outside of town. It can be a bit hard to find. If I recall there is a PA bike route sign.

Follow the instructions for the turn to the airport from the Route 60 option above.


I could probably meet you downtown. We could either ride the whole way back or I could park at the end of the first bike trail This would give you a little time to look around.

Let me know if you need more detail on any of the proposed routes.

P.S. You may see route 51 on your map. Under normal conditions on a Sunday, this would not be a bad way to go but I highly do no recommend it right now. West Carson Street has been under construction form West End to Mckees Rocks. The road is very narrow with only one lane. It is one way coming into the city so I am not even certain you could get through at all coming in that direction.

Last edited by spinnaker; 06-05-14 at 06:22 PM.
spinnaker is offline  
Old 06-05-14, 07:53 PM
  #13  
dwmckee
Senior Member
 
dwmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,224

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 204 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
I am 15 minutes from the Montour trail. I am also close to the Pittsburgh airport. You could drop your bike at the airport and take the bike trail to the Montour or I could just pick you up. I would think the Pittsburgh airport office would be open. If you wanted to make some miles then there is another campsite near Harmerville just outside of Library. That one is very easy to pass up! Your next stop would be Dravo or stay at the Yough Shore Inn.

You will be riding through Glassport and Mckeesport the last half of your trip. I would highly recommend you do so before night fall. It is OK during the day and I would ride it at night only if there was no other option.

The bottom half of the Montour is full of detours but it is not too bad. It gets better all of the time. The very last part of the trail is road. It is mostly back road. Not much traffic at all. Crossing 51 can be pretty bad. But with no tour guide, I am not sure if I would recommend if you are pressed for time. When I made my tour of the GAP down the Montour, I made a bunch of scouting trips and it took me a little while to figure it out.


Too bad you can't come on Saturday. I am just getting off a two week vacation (tour around Lake Ontario) and might not be able extend it to Monday. I would have been able to act as your tour guide.

Another option would be to take the Montour from the airport to Library, PA then take the light rail (we call it the T) into Pittsburgh. IMHO the prettiest part of the Montour anyway and rivals much of the GAP.

There is a campsite at Boggs. It is not far from the Pittsburgh airport. You could drop your car and take the bike trail to Boggs and camp overnight. There is no water at Boggs but I could probably drop off a gallon for you.

One option might be if you can even get here Saturday night. I could pick you up at the airport, you crash here and Sunday morning you would have the above two options or go through the city.

If you have not been here it is well worth seeing. We have the inclines, the bridges, 3 rivers, lots of great architecture and the bicycle museum. If you left Sunday morning from here you would have time to see most of it if you stayed at Dravo campsite or stayed at the Yough Shore Inn. I highly recommend staying there. It is best I can describe as whimsical and Lynn's personality is all over it. She is a hoot.


Let me know what you decide. I might be able to make some changes. I will be back from Lake Ontario that Wednesday.

PM me for phone numbers.
Spinnaker - Are you riding that nice new Jamis around Lake Ontario?
dwmckee is offline  
Old 06-05-14, 07:56 PM
  #14  
dwmckee
Senior Member
 
dwmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,224

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 204 Times in 134 Posts
I have used both Megabus and AmTrak to shuttle from either end of the trail back to the start. Both are great options. Megabus allows only one bag unless you buy an extra seat but if you book early tickets are only $7 (will have to have a folder or disassemble and case your bike. AmTrak can be as low as $44 per adult and they charge just $5 to check a bike.
dwmckee is offline  
Old 06-06-14, 12:47 PM
  #15  
alan s 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 6,947
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee View Post
I have used both Megabus and AmTrak to shuttle from either end of the trail back to the start. Both are great options. Megabus allows only one bag unless you buy an extra seat but if you book early tickets are only $7 (will have to have a folder or disassemble and case your bike. AmTrak can be as low as $44 per adult and they charge just $5 to check a bike.
From your description, I don't think the bus would work. I looked at Amtrak, but the departure from PGH to DC is early in the morning around 5 am. Taking Amtrak from DC to PGH then riding back means a late arrival in PGH, overnighting in a hotel and then only three days to ride. Not enough time to comfortably ride, plus the extra expense, so it wouldn't work for me.

Last edited by alan s; 06-06-14 at 12:50 PM.
alan s is offline  
Old 06-06-14, 05:26 PM
  #16  
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,540

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3391 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee View Post
Spinnaker - Are you riding that nice new Jamis around Lake Ontario?
Yes I am! One reason I bought it now.
spinnaker is offline  
Old 06-06-14, 05:33 PM
  #17  
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,540

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3391 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s View Post
From your description, I don't think the bus would work. I looked at Amtrak, but the departure from PGH to DC is early in the morning around 5 am. Taking Amtrak from DC to PGH then riding back means a late arrival in PGH, overnighting in a hotel and then only three days to ride. Not enough time to comfortably ride, plus the extra expense, so it wouldn't work for me.
Are you planning on riding the whole thing in 4 days including car travel to and from?? Yikes that is a heck of a haul. Why not just ride the GAP for now?

You can either leave you car in Cumberland or leave it here and ride to Cumberland.
spinnaker is offline  
Old 06-07-14, 07:11 AM
  #18  
alan s 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 6,947
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
Are you planning on riding the whole thing in 4 days including car travel to and from?? Yikes that is a heck of a haul. Why not just ride the GAP for now?

You can either leave you car in Cumberland or leave it here and ride to Cumberland.
4 days is pushing it a little, but weather permitting, is no problem for me. Might ramp up my daily miles a bit in the next few weeks in preparation. My daily commute includes a portion of the C&O, so adding distance is no problem.
alan s is offline  
Old 06-07-14, 07:25 AM
  #19  
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,540

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3391 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s View Post
4 days is pushing it a little, but weather permitting, is no problem for me. Might ramp up my daily miles a bit in the next few weeks in preparation. My daily commute includes a portion of the C&O, so adding distance is no problem.
Well some people do it in 36 hours straight through so I guess 4 days would be taking it easy by comparison.

Maybe be prepared to punt at the last minute if bad weather? Have a plan B to start in Cumberland or here. A wet trail in either place will slow you down. Actually not sure which is worse wet. The GAP can be like riding in Cream of Wheat when wet.

Have you decided which option to get from Pittsburgh to the airport?
spinnaker is offline  
Old 06-07-14, 03:56 PM
  #20  
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,540

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3391 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 45 Posts
FYI - I was just on the trail this afternoon and took special note of signage to the airport. There is indeed a sign pointing to the airport when arriving from the "Pittsburgh" end of the trail. But there is no sign when arriving from the "Mckeesport" end. But you will see the mentioned caboose on the left and the next left is your turn. Look for the big FAA training facility sign. Go up that road.
spinnaker is offline  
Old 06-08-14, 02:39 PM
  #21  
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,540

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3391 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 45 Posts
I just thought of another option, if you get behind and our schedules don't mesh where I can pick you up.

You can take the 28X bus from downtown to the airport. The bus stops on Grant Street, right near the Federal Building (about a 1/3 of a block toward USX rower from the Federal Bldg.)


You can get the schedule here. Sundays are not as good as weekdays for number of trips on most buses anyway.
Port Authority of Allegheny County > Home
spinnaker is offline  
Old 06-11-14, 03:30 PM
  #22  
lookinUp
Old Woman on a Catrike
 
lookinUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ocala, FL
Posts: 434

Bikes: Catrike 5.5.9., Trek Madone 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We will be riding the Montour trail in two weeks with the Rails to Trails Sojourn ride and will be riding through Glassport and McKeesport. Wondering how bad the traffic is through these two towns, whether the trail is well marked to get onto the GAP, and need recommendations where to get lunch. Other tips/suggestions on riding the trail would be appreciated.
lookinUp is offline  
Old 06-11-14, 04:16 PM
  #23  
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,540

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3391 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by lookinUp View Post
We will be riding the Montour trail in two weeks with the Rails to Trails Sojourn ride and will be riding through Glassport and McKeesport. Wondering how bad the traffic is through these two towns, whether the trail is well marked to get onto the GAP, and need recommendations where to get lunch. Other tips/suggestions on riding the trail would be appreciated.
You really should start your own thread.

The OP is going in the opposite direction from you. Please post in your own thread to avoid confusion and I will answer your question there. I will try to include a map that is a shortcut in Mckeesport to get to the GAP.
spinnaker is offline  
Old 06-11-14, 04:59 PM
  #24  
lookinUp
Old Woman on a Catrike
 
lookinUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ocala, FL
Posts: 434

Bikes: Catrike 5.5.9., Trek Madone 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
You really should start your own thread. Why? I'm inquiring about the Montour Trail

The OP is going in the opposite direction from you. Please post in your own thread to avoid confusion and I will answer your question there. I will try to include a map that is a shortcut in Mckeesport to get to the GAP.
Thanks, but if you won't help me on this thread, I'll pass on your map.
lookinUp is offline  
Old 06-11-14, 05:49 PM
  #25  
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,540

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3391 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by lookinUp View Post
Thanks, but if you won't help me on this thread, I'll pass on your map.
Your loss.

It is really poor forum etiquette to hijack someone else's thread.
spinnaker is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.