Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Strava vs Wahoo Fitness App

Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Strava vs Wahoo Fitness App

Reply

Old 01-02-19, 08:39 PM
  #1  
bobwysiwyg 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bobwysiwyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: 42.2808 N, 83.7430 W (A2 😉)
Posts: 1,633

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Strava vs Wahoo Fitness App

Being a bit generous to myself by posting this here.. but I've replaced an old fluid trainer that died with a KICKR Snap. After playing with the Wahoo Fitness App, modifying variables, I've discovered Strava and Wahoo don't agree on many data points. I'm assuming Strava takes the raw data and interprets independently and comes to its own conclusions. Any input on which is more likely accurate or closer to reality?
__________________
"Skepticism is the first step in critical thinking." -- Me
bobwysiwyg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-19, 09:02 PM
  #2  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,291

Bikes: Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel, Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
I use both Strava and Wahoo Fitness for road and trainer rides. But I have only an old Cycleops trainer, no devices attached. I only use the app as a timer.

On road rides I mostly use Wahoo Fitness because it's been 99.99% reliable on my old iPhone 4s and newer Android phones. Then I upload the finished ride to Strava. There are differences in interpolated data but that's how Strava works. I've noticed the same differences when I've used other apps and uploaded to Strava -- Cyclemeter, several others. They all work out to about the same after uploading to Strava.

When I've used three apps simultaneously to record road rides -- Strava, Wahoo Fitness and Cyclemeter -- all three showed slight differences in distance, speed, time, etc. But when uploaded to Strava, all three worked out to be nearly identical. Close enough I no longer worry about it.

I suspect the differences may be due to things like auto-pause/resume timing. Some apps offer adjustable settings for auto-pause/resume, some don't.

Strava has been glitchy on the road several times with all my phones so I quit using it to record road rides. Several cyclist friends have experienced the same glitches with Strava. Not sure whether it's due to GPS sync errors or something else. I just stopped using Strava to record rides. Problem solved. Didn't lose a single ride in 2018 using Wahoo Fitness to record my rides, and uploading to Strava afterward.
canklecat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-19, 09:16 PM
  #3  
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified
 
mtbikerinpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 1,839

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I have had multiple glitches with Strava through the years but they stopped when I switched to an Iphone 6s. My android products had wierd randomness issues, and I changed to the apple when it was given to me as a NIB gift.
mtbikerinpa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-19, 09:45 PM
  #4  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,157

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
Being a bit generous to myself by posting this here.. but I've replaced an old fluid trainer that died with a KICKR Snap. After playing with the Wahoo Fitness App, modifying variables, I've discovered Strava and Wahoo don't agree on many data points. I'm assuming Strava takes the raw data and interprets independently and comes to its own conclusions. Any input on which is more likely accurate or closer to reality?
Strava and Strava don't necessarily agree. Rowan and I can cycle the same route at the same time, and come up with anywhere from 0.5 to 1 km difference.

Take an average.
Machka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-19, 04:34 AM
  #5  
srode1
Gravel Rocks
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 127

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, Niner RLT9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
Being a bit generous to myself by posting this here.. but I've replaced an old fluid trainer that died with a KICKR Snap. After playing with the Wahoo Fitness App, modifying variables, I've discovered Strava and Wahoo don't agree on many data points. I'm assuming Strava takes the raw data and interprets independently and comes to its own conclusions. Any input on which is more likely accurate or closer to reality?
What types of data are you finding differences on? I use Training Peaks, Golden Cheetah for analysis of my rides, and Strava differs on training load, Normalized Power as well as average power from the results I see on GC. GC and Training Peaks are pretty consistent.
srode1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-19, 05:26 PM
  #6  
bobwysiwyg 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bobwysiwyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: 42.2808 N, 83.7430 W (A2 😉)
Posts: 1,633

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Originally Posted by srode1 View Post
What types of data are you finding differences on? I use Training Peaks, Golden Cheetah for analysis of my rides, and Strava differs on training load, Normalized Power as well as average power from the results I see on GC. GC and Training Peaks are pretty consistent.
First let me say this is a curious question on my part, I'm nothing more than trying to exercise and stay fit. Sadly I'm also something of a gadget geek which also leads to some data geekiness.
The primary difference I noted was in "watts," Whahoo fitness seems to give me more credit than I suspect I deserve.
__________________
"Skepticism is the first step in critical thinking." -- Me
bobwysiwyg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 08:35 PM
  #7  
zacster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 5,943
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
If you don't have a power meter, take the results with a grain of salt. If you do have a power meter, take the results with a grain of salt.

If you keep the setup constant, you can then compare results over time and this is all that really matters.

If you have a Kickr Snap, you need to make sure your tire is pumped to the same pressure each time and that the tire doesn't slip.
zacster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 09:36 PM
  #8  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,291

Bikes: Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel, Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Regarding power estimates in watts, I'm surprised to find they're reasonably close to reality. Strava, Elevate and other software seem to get pretty close to results from cyclists I know who do use power meters, and they're close to my age and size, riding the same routes in the same conditions.

But I'm still doubtful about power estimates on climbs and downhills. The software estimates claim I can do 300+ watts on downhills, even with tailwind assistance, while climbs fighting headwinds might rate 150 watts but feel much more exhausting.

There is one software tool that takes wind into account, but it hasn't gained much traction: Strava Segment Wind Analysis. If it caught on it would created weighted estimates factoring in tailwind assists and headwind hindrances. I'd consider that a good thing. All of my top tens are heavily tailwind assisted. With a weighted score a local woman pro cyclist would have the KOM, not just the QOM. Her top ten was into a headwind, while everyone else in the top ten including the KOM had the benefit of a tailwind on the same segment.
canklecat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-19, 06:52 AM
  #9  
bobwysiwyg 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bobwysiwyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: 42.2808 N, 83.7430 W (A2 😉)
Posts: 1,633

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Regarding power estimates in watts, I'm surprised to find they're reasonably close to reality. Strava, Elevate and other software seem to get pretty close to results from cyclists I know who do use power meters, and they're close to my age and size, riding the same routes in the same conditions.

But I'm still doubtful about power estimates on climbs and downhills. The software estimates claim I can do 300+ watts on downhills, even with tailwind assistance, while climbs fighting headwinds might rate 150 watts but feel much more exhausting.

There is one software tool that takes wind into account, but it hasn't gained much traction: Strava Segment Wind Analysis. If it caught on it would created weighted estimates factoring in tailwind assists and headwind hindrances. I'd consider that a good thing. All of my top tens are heavily tailwind assisted. With a weighted score a local woman pro cyclist would have the KOM, not just the QOM. Her top ten was into a headwind, while everyone else in the top ten including the KOM had the benefit of a tailwind on the same segment.
Interesting reference to Strava Wind Analysis. How does it work after authorizing? Does it apply retroactively, how is it reflected in your ride data. Is it somehow accessing your local weather data, wind speed/direction, at the time of your ride?
__________________
"Skepticism is the first step in critical thinking." -- Me
bobwysiwyg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-19, 01:23 PM
  #10  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,291

Bikes: Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel, Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
Interesting reference to Strava Wind Analysis. How does it work after authorizing? Does it apply retroactively, how is it reflected in your ride data. Is it somehow accessing your local weather data, wind speed/direction, at the time of your ride?
The last time I used that Strava Segment Wind Analysis tool the permissions gave it access to all of my Strava data, so it revealed interesting info on my entire Strava history.

It accesses archived weather data (presumably from NOAA, which is publicly accessible), GPS data from Strava, etc., to estimate the weighted efforts including the effects of headwinds and tailwinds. Very interesting stuff.

I hesitated to log in yesterday because the site showed it's unsecured http rather than https. Sometimes that's a temporary glitch that can affect any site, but I was reluctant to log in and give access to my Strava data until the wind app site is secured. I don't worry about sensitive info -- it's just Strava -- but don't want to risk spam or inadvertent access to my Facebook account.

I'm really not sure why that wind data app isn't more popular. Seems logical for Strava to incorporate it as a standard feature. Although I suspect massive butthurt would result when people's tailwind assisted KOMs were downgraded on a weighted relative effort scale.
canklecat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-19, 01:31 PM
  #11  
bobwysiwyg 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bobwysiwyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: 42.2808 N, 83.7430 W (A2 😉)
Posts: 1,633

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Thanks for the reply.
__________________
"Skepticism is the first step in critical thinking." -- Me
bobwysiwyg is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service