Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you ride today?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-11, 10:36 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Wednesday was extremely hot. 25 mile club ride with heat index over 100. With plenty of hydration and keeping the pace down a notch or two from usual, especially on the hills, we all managed to finish feeling OK. Thursday I rode my MTB for about an hour and a half in similar conditions. I didn't exactly baby it, but I didn't push it either. These days it is mostly about getting in the rides and the saddle time without getting into trouble by unwise heroics. Way better than sitting around in air conditioning and getting soft.
Old 08-05-11, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
56 miles, went to Huntington Beach where the Pro surfing contest is being held. Benign winds today, which made for a very nice ride. No clouds, lots of people at the beach. 72 degrees when i left, 86 on the return trip.
Old 08-05-11, 05:15 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I started out with a light windbreaker at 56F. As noted in another thread rode the 'bent 20 miles up hill and dale, went for a 40 minute swim in the middle and did my planks and stretchig before hand. The weather was great, and by the time I was finished, it was close to 80F Little wind, which is a nice change.
Old 08-05-11, 06:33 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
To and from work today: 19.5 miles. Not quite as hot/humid altho we did hit 90F for a record-setting 20th day in a row!
Old 08-05-11, 06:36 PM
DEK

Bikes: '11 Felt Z85

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
No. Heavy rains the last 2 days. Hopefully get out for 40+ miles tomorrow morning.
Old 08-06-11, 10:25 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Went to my usual bike path to meet my riding buddy and do the 52 mile ride we scheduled last week. He didn't show, so I did a 27.5 mile ride with my wife who is working into a 50K charity ride next month. Tomorrow, I'll do the 52 mile ride on my own.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 08-06-11, 10:36 AM
Banned.

6 miles with the wife,and then 14 more.
Old 08-06-11, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Annual club ride, 62miles , not to bad first 45, then Mr.Wind showed up with his friend humidity.Good ride...
Old 08-06-11, 12:21 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I thought about starting a thread called "Did you ride tonight?" since lately I don't ride much during the day because of the heat. Within the next week or so, we will probably break the local record for most consecutive 100+ degree days. But I have been getting some miles in.

At the downtown Post Office

In Trinity Park, with the Trinity River just to the right of the trail and downtown off in the distance across the river.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 08-06-11, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It still looks hot out.
Old 08-06-11, 01:09 PM
Ride like the wind!

Bikes: Trek 700 wsd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After the rain yesterday temperatures were cooler so I rounded up my friend (and her kids) and we went riding around a nearby lake. It rained on us a little bit, but we didn’t really mind. The lake was so pretty!

This was the first time I used my new Camelback hydration pack. I liked having the coolness of the ice water on my back, and it was very comfortable to wear. I did find it a little difficult to drink because you have to bite down to keep the valve open, and suck at the same time. If you are breathing hard at all it makes it hard to suck in the water.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
karenSadie.jpg (80.8 KB, 16 views)
DevinKaren.jpg (64.7 KB, 17 views)
devinSerious.jpg (97.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-06-11, 01:36 PM
Flying & Biking Member

Bikes: TREK 2005 Navigator 200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife & I rode 29 miles this morning. We rode 13 miles into town, had breakfast consisting of 2 eggs, 2 pieces of bacon, rye toast & coffee. As a reward we split a pecan waffle with sugar free syrup! After breakfast we rode around the big town of Hartford City, Indiana and noticed all kinds of things we never did while driving.

We averaged 12 mph on our Navigators too! A great ride!

Old 08-06-11, 02:26 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Started out planning on riding to another part of town, although I live in a village (2500 people), it's part of a town of 8,000 and it's about 15km over to the next village, I'm going up a hill, in the lowest gear I have got on that bike, about 6km in and I hear a pinging noise, I stop at the top and thought maybe I had popped a spoke, nope spokes all look good, I turned around with the idea that I should check things out on the repair stand. Shift up and the noise stops, road home carefully and checked it out, it turns out the RD was in too far and just managed to pluck a spoke. When I swapped the 27" for 700C wheels, the spoke angle changed and that meant the RD was in too far. Readjusted it, and went for an 8km ride, so the total was a paltry 20km or about 12 miles..... I'll do the run out to the other village maybe Monday after work, trying to convince the Missus to take a quick run out to Sauble Beach for a swim this evening....
Old 08-06-11, 02:35 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I did 35 miles on the Badger/Sugar River bike trails with a stop for coffee and a scone (makes me feel half European) in New Glarus.
Old 08-06-11, 03:08 PM
DEK

Bikes: '11 Felt Z85

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Did 23 miles with a local recreational group today. Added another 11 miles on my own afterwards.
Old 08-06-11, 05:07 PM

Bikes: Giant Boulder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took a wonderful overnight trip on the Allegheny Passage last weekend with Grampa. We rode the 20 mile section along the Yough River from Connellsville, PA to Cedar Creek Park.

Connellsville is a pleasant little town that's pulling itself out of the rust belt by welcoming the tourists who come to enjoy the river and the bike trail. Folks are helpful and friendly. After eating lunch at the Valley Dairy, we visited the bike shop, and Grampa found his birthday present--a set of panniers and a handlebar bag. After replacing his old milk crate with the panniers and repacking his elegant new bags, we were on our way.

Under the trees by the river we were relatively cool and pleasant,probably a lot cooler than all the folks we saw in kayaks and canoes. We'd planned to stop at Round Bottom Campsite, but arrived there much too early and full of pep, so continued on to Cedar Creek Park.

We slept under the stars since it was pretty warm and humid even for the tarp. At the campsite we had the pleasure of meeting 3 guys from Michigan who were riding from Pittsburgh to DC. They were a father and 15-year-old son, and the father's brother or friend, an experienced cyclist and outdoorsman who had talked them into their first bicycle overnight trip. They were traveling at a comfortable pace, and all were enjoying the trip.

Sunday morning was a little warmer. I really enjoyed our swim stop at Round Bottom, floating on the current near the shore. We made a few other stops to check out the remains of an old mine and a rickety old railroad bridge. We met up with the guys from Michigan several more times before riding back into Connellsville in mid day heat.

Tuesday, I started out for a quick run on the back road that everyone uses as a MUP, and when I had trouble shifting the front derailleur, I discovered that the cable, which Grampa put on a couple of weeks ago, was frayed and stretched. So, off to the bike shop for my sweet little Boulder. Since I have to work graveyard shift over the weekend, at least the timing is good. The shop called today while I was sleeping, so I'll pick her up Monday and celebrate my return to a normal schedule by taking her for the ride I didn't get Tuesday.
Attached Images
Dave Allegheny Passage.jpg (66.5 KB, 13 views)
Yough at Round Bottom.jpg (64.6 KB, 15 views)
Old Bridge.jpg (77.9 KB, 12 views)
Us at Cedar Creek.jpg (62.4 KB, 14 views)
Aileen bike trip.jpg (66.2 KB, 11 views)
Cedar Creek Campsite.jpg (81.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-06-11, 05:13 PM
Banned.

Great pictures and it looks like a really fun ride. I hope your bike is fixed OK.
Old 08-06-11, 06:22 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I left from home at daybreak and rode 17 miles to the airport, getting there just a few minutes before the 8:00 club ride started. We rode about 16 miles at the airport. After refilling my water bottles, I rode back into town and stopped by the LBS to visit and eat a Clif bar. Heading home, I visited a couple of friends who were talking in the parking lot after their ride from another popular starting point. By the time I got home, I had ridden 53 miles and it was getting hot.
https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/44852012
Old 08-06-11, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
I rode 60 miles in the local mountains today. One of the racer girls is pregnant 5+ months and so she has slowed but still does the climbs. A beautiful day up there.
Old 08-06-11, 09:39 PM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
We started out to do the Marin (California) 100K on our tandem, tool a wrong turn an addeded another 50K (95 miles total) to the ride. To make it even more interesting in the middle of nowhere we we experienced chain suck on the tandem and things really got jammed up. I called for sag and they sent a mechanic, but I freed things up and we rode on, now in the right direction. Unfortunately, things were not right, but the mechanic found us 30 minutes later and reset the FD which had been tweaked during the chain suck.

Final totals: 95 miles, 5500 ft. of climbing and two very tired senior citizens. This was a big accomplishment for us as normally we wouldn't ride a (near-) century with this much climbing. The climbs were tough enough, but most of the rollers peaked at 10% or so which adds to the workout.
Old 08-06-11, 09:41 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I got in a solo 40 mile ride B4 dinner.
Old 08-07-11, 06:15 AM

Bikes: A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It was a good week for me. Sun, my husband & I did an easy 16. Mon, I met up with a friend after for an after work ride; we got 21 in before it started to get dark. Wed, I did my commute of 30. Usually I ride to work on Sat too, but my achilles tendons have been bothering me so I figured I'd give them a rest.
Old 08-07-11, 09:01 AM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got out early for a short 15 mile ride but the focus was the 4 mile 1850' climb in the first half. I suffered up that one, not ready for the steep grades but made it anyway. We turned around at the top and coasted back to the car.
Old 08-07-11, 09:03 AM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by missjean
It was a good week for me. Sun, my husband & I did an easy 16. Mon, I met up with a friend after for an after work ride; we got 21 in before it started to get dark. Wed, I did my commute of 30. Usually I ride to work on Sat too, but my achilles tendons have been bothering me so I figured I'd give them a rest.
You might want to check your cleat position or saddle height. Too high a saddle or cleats too forward might contribute to achilles issues.
Old 08-07-11, 11:16 AM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki
We started out to do the Marin (California) 100K on our tandem, tool a wrong turn an addeded another 50K (95 miles total) to the ride...
I was on the same course as you; did you turn left with the Mt Tam century guys and climb Tam, or did you just make some random turn somewhere and wander off? Generally the course was marked off reasonably well, but I missed the turn for the middle rs at the park in Petaluma because there were two signs back to back, one that pointed straight and another that curved right. Well, I opted for straight which ended up not being right. Figured out how to get back on course and no significant mileage added to the ride.

I have to say, the food at the end (and all during the ride) was fantastic. 'Don't do many organized rides, and it was 30 years since I last did this one, but the support is excellent on this ride.

Last edited by t4mv; 08-07-11 at 11:19 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.