Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Routing a Dynamo Wire Inside a Fender

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-13, 01:30 PM
MFA

Bikes: 1973 Italvega Nouvo Record; 1965 Hercules; 1982-83 Schwinn Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In my searching for how to route wires for a dynamo lighting system, I never found a specific thread for running dynamo wires through a fender -- only references. This is how I did it. As always, I hope others will find this useful.

The bike is a very early Schwinn mountain bike frame that I have been building up as a fancy grocery bike. The dynamo/generator is a bottom bracket mounted unit that is essentially a 6v3w bottle generator stuffed inside a yoke mounted drum that rides against the rear tire tread. The rear light is an old fender mounted French PYB Generator light with a Compas Cycles red LED replacement with an incorporated standlight. The aluminum fenders are from Velo Orange.

The key to routing the wire through the fender is the rolled edge. In the case of these fenders, this rolled edge creates a tube large enough to pull a length of 20 gauge stranded wire through. Unfortunately, I neglected to take pictures of parts of this process.

Using 20 gauge stranded wire, I stripped the housing off the first 3 inches. This bare copper will protrude out of the seam of the rolled edge, allowing you to pull the rest of the wire through the fender with a pliers. After deciding where the wire was to enter the rolled edge of the fender, I used an awl and a flathead screwdriver to carefully open the seam enough to push the wire into the rolled edge. Using a pliers on the exposed 3" of bare copper, I pulled the wire through the fender to where the light will be mounted. At this spot I opened the seam enough to pull the wire out of the rolled edge.

Pulling the wire should be fairly easy on a new, clean fender. As I discovered late in the game, mine have a few years of dirt and mud built up inside the rolled edge. Before starting, this will need to be cleaned out. A spray bottle of soapy water and a bent paperclip worked quite well to dig out the mud. I suspect, in the end, the soapy water made pulling the wire easier, so it is recommended to spray the inside of new clean fender anyway.

To finish off where the wire enters and exits the fender, I used 1/8" aluminum pop rivets with a reenforcing washer on the inside.

The center pin of the pop rivet can be pushed out by filing away the back side of the rivet and carefully tapping out the pin with a drift punch or an awl. To file away the back of the rivel, I used a carbide grinding bit for a die grinder that was chucked into a drill run at a medium speed and a steady hand.

On the rear light, I considered trying to run the wire directly into the light housing. However, due to how close my fender is to the wheel, I was concerned that the extra length of wire might eventually droop into the tire and be worn away.

Eventually I will clean up the mess of wire connectors behind the cranks. My bottom bracket generator did not come with a complete mounting bracket, so I might incorporate a small metal container into whatever I fabricate to replace the fender washer.

Last edited by jjvw; 01-26-13 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-26-13, 01:41 PM
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Pretty cool! Thanks for posting!
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 01-26-13, 08:39 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Nice job, I used a piece of nylon mono filament fish line then pulled the wire through. I have a couple of bikes with the BB generators, they work great most of the time, very wet or muddy conditions will affect the operation. What kind of bulb is in the tail light? If it is a screw base Compass Cycle sells an LED replacement with stand light that works great. I use them on a couple of bikes.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-26-13, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Very nice writeup! I haven't tried routing wiring through the rolled edge yet, but I'll be tasked with doing this in a few weeks on a client's bike. I wouldn't have thought to try the trick of pulling the bare strands along the outside of the rolled edge. The pop rivets are a neat idea too!
Old 01-26-13, 11:09 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Has anyone routed a wire underneath a plastic fender that doesn't have a rolled edge?

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-26-13, 11:38 PM
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts
What about running adhesive flat wire? Essentially a piece of copper ribbon backed with adhesive? My wife's Breezer Uptown infinity has the wiring run inside(not just inside but INSIDE like molded into the fender) of the plastic fender and then just buttons basically connect to the rear light and from the wiring on the frame. It's a really cool setup with no need to run wires inside of the fender. For how much we paid for that thing it better of came with snazzy parts like that.
Old 01-27-13, 12:11 AM
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Has anyone routed a wire underneath a plastic fender that doesn't have a rolled edge?
I have, I used hot-glue from a glue-gun to lay a bead of glue over the wire. If you can weld, you can "weld" onto plastic like this.

Clean the fender REALLY well, sand it a bit, and clean it with denatured alcohol again to get any oils off of the plastic. Use a few dabs to "tack" it down first, then run a bead down the wire.

Simple.
Old 01-27-13, 12:32 AM
MFA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
What kind of bulb is in the tail light? If it is a screw base Compass Cycle sells an LED replacement with stand light that works great. I use them on a couple of bikes.

Aaron
This is the bulb i have. It is a screw base.
https://www.compasscycle.com/lighting_led_tail_bulb.html
The standlight is really surprising (to me at least, never had one before). I expected it to stay lit for a minute or two. But after riding and "charging" it for less than 5 minutes around the parking lot, it stayed pretty bright for at least 15 minutes and finally died out after about 40 minutes.

Originally Posted by wahoonc
Nice job, I used a piece of nylon mono filament fish line then pulled the wire through. I have a couple of bikes with the BB generators, they work great most of the time, very wet or muddy conditions will affect the operation.
I'm very curious about how well my bb generator will work in the rain. I modified mine to make it lever actuated. See the bike build thread linked in the first post. As part of the modification, I removed the original engagement lever. It turns out this lever acted as a stop which kept the drum from hitting the tire as forcefully as it otherwise could. Now, i think the generator engages the tire harder than it used to. It will be a while before I can confirm this, since it doesn't rain or snow in Denver anymore.

Last edited by jjvw; 01-27-13 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-27-13, 07:22 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Originally Posted by Henry III
What about running adhesive flat wire? Essentially a piece of copper ribbon backed with adhesive? My wife's Breezer Uptown infinity has the wiring run inside(not just inside but INSIDE like molded into the fender) of the plastic fender and then just buttons basically connect to the rear light and from the wiring on the frame. It's a really cool setup with no need to run wires inside of the fender. For how much we paid for that thing it better of came with snazzy parts like that.
I have a pair of late 1980's Giant Excursions that use the aluminum strips embedded in the fender as the conductor, they mounted snaps at the various attachement points. Only problem has been finding replacement snaps. Otherwise great system.

Originally Posted by jjvw
This is the bulb i have. It is a screw base.
https://www.compasscycle.com/lighting_led_tail_bulb.html
The standlight is really surprising (to me at least, never had one before). I expected it to stay lit for a minute or two. But after riding and "charging" it for less than 5 minutes around the parking lot, it stayed pretty bright for at least 15 minutes and finally died out after about 40 minutes.

I'm very curious about how well my bb generator will work in the rain. I modified mine to make it lever actuated. See the bike build thread linked in the first post. As part of the modification, it removed the original engagement lever. It turns out this lever acted as a stop which kept the drum from hitting the tire as forcefully as it otherwise could. Now, i think the generator engages the tire harder than it used to. It will be a while before I can confirm this, since it doesn't rain or snow in Denver anymore.
Love my bulb conversion, enough that I bought a two more for other bikes. My BB generators are cable activated, came from the factory that way. There is a down tube style shift lever mounted on a boss on the back of the seat tube, I know the cable is completely slack when the generator is fully engaged, might be able to adjust the spring tension. But I don't think so. Other than the crappy conditions issue I like the BB mount system. However hub dyno's are the way to go if you can swing it. I have 5 bikes with those. With the new LED lights even the old Sturmey-Archer GH6 dyno is viable.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 01-27-13, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Doohickie
I've done this on several bikes with aluminum fenders using Goop adhesive. I've never had a problem, it's a fantastic all-weather, hard yet flexible adhesive. The goop dries to a semi-hard plastic and encases the wire, protecting it from gravel and sharp debris. It's held up in all weather and on all types of road surfaces flinging all sorts of crap underneath the fender.

I first tape the wire in place at many points as I "spot" glue the wire at the points between the tape. If I try to glue it all at once, the wire doesn't want to conform to the curve of the fender and creates big gaps between the wire and the fender. After the glue sets, I remove the tape and then encase the entire length of wire with the glue. It becomes permanent, you'll never have the option of undoing it. The glue is tenacious. See attached pics, taken two and over 1000 miles of dirt/gravel roads later:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF7104.jpg (84.9 KB, 293 views)
DSCF7105.jpg (90.0 KB, 291 views)
DSCF7107.jpg (86.2 KB, 283 views)
Old 01-27-13, 08:00 AM

I also like to use rubber grommets wherever the wiring has to pass through metal (although I like the idea of pop-rivets! I will have to try that).

Old 01-28-13, 08:54 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston
What are you using to stop your bike, Anton????

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-28-13, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Reverse thrusters, I think.
Old 01-28-13, 09:43 PM
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts
If you have SKS fenders, they are plastic with aluminum strips inside (at least the old ones are). I have carefully cooked through the plastic on the underside and soldiered a wire to the aluminum strips. They are VERY thin, so this takes some patience. It looked fantastic and worked for about two years, but I did have some problems with the wire at the non-light end comming disconnected from the fender strip. I totally cooked the fender out of frustration trying to keep re-soldier the wire for good. If you can solve that, it would be cool.
Old 01-29-13, 05:53 AM
Membership Not Required

Originally Posted by balindamood
If you have SKS fenders, they are plastic with aluminum strips inside (at least the old ones are). I have carefully cooked through the plastic on the underside and soldiered a wire to the aluminum strips. They are VERY thin, so this takes some patience. It looked fantastic and worked for about two years, but I did have some problems with the wire at the non-light end comming disconnected from the fender strip. I totally cooked the fender out of frustration trying to keep re-soldier the wire for good. If you can solve that, it would be cool.
Snaps... drill a small hole in the fender an melt the plastic back a bit from the hole, then mount a #6 snap. My problem has been finding the stainless steel button covers for the female side of the system. FWIW I have/had a Staiger Florida (German trekking bike) that used a similar system, but the terminal was some sort of rivet that was covered in a rubber coating. Next time the bike is home for servicing I will have to look a bit closer.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 01-29-13, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
Reverse thrusters, I think.
Ha, just don't ask what I do to get going.
Old 01-29-13, 09:53 AM

Bikes: 1978 Peugeot PX8M

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice job

I did the same thing with my Velo-Orange fenders (without the pop rivet, but it's a very good idea )
Old 01-29-13, 10:16 AM
MFA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for your examples of other ways to do this. Keep sharing.

Rubber or plastic grommets are much easier to install. I did the pop rivet purely for aesthetics. I also had them readily available.