Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

DIY saddle bag quick release

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

DIY saddle bag quick release

Old 11-02-10, 05:15 PM
  #1  
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider
Thread Starter
 
mkeller234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 8,607

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
DIY saddle bag quick release

I wanted an easy way to move my saddle bag from bike to bike. I also wanted a quick way to remove the bag when my bike is locked up in public. I saw Nitto made a QR system but it is very expensive.

I assumed someone out there has already tackled this so I did a quick google search. I found a nice how-to post on another site and copied the idea. I spent a total of $2.50 cents at Sears. The man with the idea goes by "DrRoebuck" and here is the link to his post: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=95020

I could not find hardware similar to what he had so mine turned out slightly different. After riding with it for a while I added electrical tape to my bag loops and now I cannot hear any clanging from the hooks, even on bumpy roads. Also, I had to buy thinner hooks because one of my saddles has narrow bag loops.

Here is mine:
It consists of two hooks and two washers.


Inside the bag, poke the hooks through and attach the leather bag straps. The washer keeps the hooks from pulling out too far.


Outside view:


Attached to my bike:


As you can see, there is one buckle left. That one is very easy to unhook but you could use a toe clip or velcro to make it even quicker. Has anyone else made their own DIY bag quick release? I would be interested in seeing what others have come up with.
__________________
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|......GO.BROWNS........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
mkeller234 is offline  
Likes For mkeller234:
Old 11-02-10, 05:23 PM
  #2  
big chainring 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wilmette, IL
Posts: 6,465
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Very nice. Two thumbs up!
big chainring is offline  
Old 04-27-12, 05:20 PM
  #3  
dscheidt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nifty.
dscheidt is offline  
Old 04-27-12, 05:36 PM
  #4  
The MAX
Senior Member
 
The MAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 313

Bikes: Surly Long haul Trucker with front and rack Nice Racks, 1984 Colnago Sport, 1983 Raleigh Condor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
like
The MAX is offline  
Old 07-10-19, 08:06 AM
  #5  
thorstein
I ride bikes...
 
thorstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Posts: 27

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Twenty, 1975 Raleigh DL-1, 1987 Schwinn Le Tour, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another solution for saddlebag

Here's my solution, it has worked well for 50+ miles and counting. I used two eye-bolts with neoprene washers between flat washers, secured with a lock washer. I didn't get a picture, but it sits right on the rear rack. I also should have had a picture of the toe clip strap that goes around the saddle rails and down to the rack which the seat-tube strap on the Carradice Lowsaddle Longflap attaches to.


thorstein is offline  
Old 07-10-19, 06:04 PM
  #6  
63rickert
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,062
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Simplest solution is to use a Carradice Classic rack instead of the rather fragile Carradice Bagman.

https://www.carradice.co.uk/products...saddlebag-rack

They've only been selling this about a decade now. An absolute copy of the long gone Karrimor Uplift. Which was a fair copy of the Tonard saddlebag support. So around in one form or another over eighty years. I've been using it fifty years. Gives much better support to the bag than does the Bagman or most homemade. Less sway than any other traditional bag mount I've seen. Undo one strap and lift bag and rack off the bike. Rack become a carry handle. Easy to set up for different levels of saddlebag elevation. Totally durable, does not break. I've been using just the one rack for fifty years. Solves the problem permanently and you don't have to keep fiddling about.
63rickert is offline  
Old 07-10-19, 06:17 PM
  #7  
Kuromori
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by thorstein View Post
Here's my solution, it has worked well for 50+ miles and counting. I used two eye-bolts with neoprene washers between flat washers, secured with a lock washer. I didn't get a picture, but it sits right on the rear rack. I also should have had a picture of the toe clip strap that goes around the saddle rails and down to the rack which the seat-tube strap on the Carradice Lowsaddle Longflap attaches to.


Too literal
Kuromori is offline  
Old 07-10-19, 06:31 PM
  #8  
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider
Thread Starter
 
mkeller234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 8,607

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
That is pretty slick! Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by thorstein View Post
Here's my solution, it has worked well for 50+ miles and counting. I used two eye-bolts with neoprene washers between flat washers, secured with a lock washer. I didn't get a picture, but it sits right on the rear rack. I also should have had a picture of the toe clip strap that goes around the saddle rails and down to the rack which the seat-tube strap on the Carradice Lowsaddle Longflap attaches to.


mkeller234 is offline  
Old 07-11-19, 02:54 AM
  #9  
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 4,608

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Bridgestone RB-T, Trek 510 city build, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 L23 and L19, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Kuromori View Post
Too literal
Unfortunately, you're doomed to the time-dishonored method of unscrewing the skewer's end to release. What you really need is fork ends attached to the bag's loops so they can be properly attached with the skewer.
thumpism is offline  
Old 07-11-19, 04:03 AM
  #10  
Johno59
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Cambridge UK
Posts: 325

Bikes: 2x pre-1934 Humbers, 1932 Raleigh Tourist, 1946 Raleigh Lenton, 1947 Grand Prix Raleigh, 1949 Golden Arrow, 1950 Robin Hood, 1956 Claude Butler, 1973 Raleigh Wayfarer, 1984 Holdsworth, 1985 EG Bates Lo-pro Funny TT Bike, 1980 Alan,3 x custom TT bikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Split broomstick



Place the wishbone loop over a bolt securing the spline and secure the rig with an old winged axle nut.


Attached two front headset hangers to spine and clipped in a shoulder strap. The whole rig is attached with a single wing nut.


Split a broom handle, bolted it across the leather hangover that straddles the horse's back, attached an old wish-bone strut from a seat to the front carrier.
Johno59 is offline  
Old 07-11-19, 07:51 AM
  #11  
thorstein
I ride bikes...
 
thorstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Posts: 27

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Twenty, 1975 Raleigh DL-1, 1987 Schwinn Le Tour, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234 View Post
That is pretty slick! Thanks for posting.
Thanks, I needed a quick solution & I thought having a QR skewer would be kind of neat (even if it has to be unscrewed). Much more manageable than opening the bag and un-doing the leather straps each time. The skewer also works pretty good as a handle.
thorstein is offline  
Old 07-11-19, 06:57 PM
  #12  
jonwvara 
Senior Member
 
jonwvara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Washington County, Vermont, USA
Posts: 2,913

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert View Post
Simplest solution is to use a Carradice Classic rack instead of the rather fragile Carradice Bagman.

https://www.carradice.co.uk/products...saddlebag-rack

They've only been selling this about a decade now. An absolute copy of the long gone Karrimor Uplift. Which was a fair copy of the Tonard saddlebag support. So around in one form or another over eighty years. I've been using it fifty years. Gives much better support to the bag than does the Bagman or most homemade. Less sway than any other traditional bag mount I've seen. Undo one strap and lift bag and rack off the bike. Rack become a carry handle. Easy to set up for different levels of saddlebag elevation. Totally durable, does not break. I've been using just the one rack for fifty years. Solves the problem permanently and you don't have to keep fiddling about.
Interesting. I had considered buying the Classic Rack recently as a support for my Camper Longflap. I liked the design. In the end, I went with the Bagman Expedition, mostly because Carradice rates it for for 10 kg, as compared to (as I recall) 7 kg for the Classic. I doubt that I'll ever carry anything near 10 kg in the saddlebag, but that number did suggest to me that the Bagman was perhaps more robust of the two, and I'm big on robustness. I've been happy with it so far, but I do like the looks of the old Karrimor design. I would guess that its weak link is the metal "tongues" that are inserted in the saddle loops. But given that you've used it successfully for 50 years, maybe that's a non-issue.
__________________
www.redclovercomponents.com

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
jonwvara is offline  
Old 07-12-19, 06:50 AM
  #13  
63rickert
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,062
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara View Post
Interesting. I had considered buying the Classic Rack recently as a support for my Camper Longflap. I liked the design. In the end, I went with the Bagman Expedition, mostly because Carradice rates it for for 10 kg, as compared to (as I recall) 7 kg for the Classic. I doubt that I'll ever carry anything near 10 kg in the saddlebag, but that number did suggest to me that the Bagman was perhaps more robust of the two, and I'm big on robustness. I've been happy with it so far, but I do like the looks of the old Karrimor design. I would guess that its weak link is the metal "tongues" that are inserted in the saddle loops. But given that you've used it successfully for 50 years, maybe that's a non-issue.
Have carried over 10kg many times. Also have a Bagman sitting in deep storage. Can't even remember why that was purchased any longer but that device is simply flimsy compared to the Karrimor/Classic. The tongues do look like a weak link, in practice totally reliable.

The problem with carrying something as big as the Camper bag is the shelf at bottom is not low enough. Either saw it off (Karrimor and Tonard sold racks with no shelf) or get busy and weld on a lower shelf. Only other limitation is you simply must have a saddle with bag loops. Little bolt-on loops won't do it.
63rickert is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
rtg1
Texas
6
09-28-09 09:47 AM
eye3md
Southeast
2
09-05-07 06:16 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.