Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Road ID ?

Old 02-14-16, 07:18 PM

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedskater
All my medical info is on-line in My Chart 'MyChart' so my user ID and password will get ER people to everything but family contact info.
Other medical systems use different on-line programs.
Only problem is prescription information has never been correct.
So just for fun, I checked out my MyChart page and I see that the hospital has enabled the user correction of prescriptions. I wonder how long it will take to update?

Last edited by Speedskater; 03-11-16 at 04:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-15-16, 10:02 AM

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc
What's the name of the app? Sounds interesting.

A friend of mine has an app on his iphone that allows his wife to see where he is while he's out riding. Not sure if it sends text msgs though.

I use an Android phone, will have to check the Google Play store.
The Road ID App has a stationary alert that notifies your contact if you haven't moved for 5 minutes. Just remember to disable it if you stop for a break of any length. Garmin Connect has a livetrack feature that allows a person to follow you while you're out on a ride.
I have the interactive Road ID. I got it after I had an ICD Implanted. I have the usual contact info as well as my ICD info there as along with a history of my ablations and other procedures. Not to mention it gives my wife some peace of mind.
Old 02-15-16, 11:13 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
What's the name of the app? Sounds interesting.

A friend of mine has an app on his iphone that allows his wife to see where he is while he's out riding. Not sure if it sends text msgs though.

I use an Android phone, will have to check the Google Play store.
For an Android phone, the free, RoadID app uses what they call eBreadcrumbs to track your location via GPS. It's very similar to Garmin's Live Track and it's in conjunction with their stop notification feature. Other cycling apps, like RideWithGPS, MapMyRide, Endomondo and Strava, may offer similar features but those features are usually found on their premium versions. For those that use an iPhone, Cyclemeter has a live tracking feature that, if enabled, sends an email out to whoever you select at a specified time or distance interval. I use this feature when I do charity rides of 32 miles or more or when I do multi-day rides. I set mine for time intervals so if she gets an email from me and I haven't moved from where I was at on the last email, she will call or text me to see if I'm OK. Like Garmin, Cyclemeter updates it's web site every so many minutes and if she has the web site with my web page up, she can actually follow me as I ride.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 02-15-16, 03:58 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
The app is just called RoadID, very clever those RI guys. I got it from the Google Play store, on my Android phone. My wife likes me having it, if it makes her happy, it makes my riding much better.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-15-16, 06:00 PM

Bikes: Specialized Camber Elite 29er

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear Road ID when I ride, and also when I hike. I have my name, age, insurance company name and policy number, and two emergency contacts engraved on it.

I also have the Road ID app for my phone, but generally use Cyclemeter because it keeps history files. I enable the tracking function of Cyclemeter, even when I'm out riding with others.

Last edited by jmiked; 02-15-16 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-15-16, 07:55 PM

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro700, BikeE NX, BikeE AT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with V, I never wear anything on my wrists. I think of my ankle Road ID as my bird band, it has my emergency contacts and organ donor.
Old 02-16-16, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a road ID that attaches to my shoe. I went with name, address, contact number, and blood type.

I was always switching between shoes (for running and biking) so I had to keep switching the tag also.

The problem is I can't currently find it. I'm starting to suspect, it got left on some running shoes that got donated to goodwill.
Old 02-16-16, 09:25 AM

Bikes: Cyclocross Generic Steel Frame 105 Shimano Group Set, Minn Framed Fat Bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Luckily I have no major medical issues yet so Road ID seems liek a , however I just tape my information on my bike with clear tape and on top of my helmet also. I always have my license, phone and a little bit of cash in by shirt pocket. I also enable live tracking on my phone with MMR, especially if I am going somewhere secluded for my ride, so my wife or friends will be able to find me if I am overdue.

I have thought about the RoadID though.
Old 02-16-16, 09:46 AM

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by hankaye
For those of you that do have a Road ID, what type of medical info. do
you consider imperative to include.
There's on,ly so much room. Mine simply has emergency contacts and NKA (no known allergies). If I was diabetic or had some other condition that might be both relevant and not apparent, I might include that. More detailed info (insurance, etc) goes in my wallet n my jersey pocket.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 02-16-16, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Back when I used to watch Concours de Pharmacologie there were lots and lots of RoadID adverts.

My spouse saw one of the adverts and said that's a very good idea. (I took that as a hint hint hint.) I was also immediately reminded of our friend who had a bike accident - it took agonizing hours to reunite the friend with their ID at the hospital before they contacted the spouse. (I took that as the strongest possible hint.)

Probably will never ever need it. So I think of it as just carrying an umbrella to keep it from raining. It's also a nice place to have some favorite phone numbers written down in case my phone breaks. And every time my spouse sees it on my wrist when I get home I still get thanked and hugged - so that's nice too.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 02-16-16 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-16-16, 07:08 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by SirrusEliteDisc
...some of the First Responders in small communities have no clue what a Road ID is so make sure it stands out from the other "bands" you are wearing.
I must thank you, sir, for possibly saving some lives. You bring up a very excellent point. Next year when I retire, I will be moving to a small Rocky Mountain town and will be riding in an area with even smaller towns. After I get resettled, on the list of 'things to do' will be to visit local police and fire departments in the various towns and endeavor to educate them about RoadID and how it is useful in case of accidents resulting in unconsciousness. Thank you!
Old 02-16-16, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
I must thank you, sir, for possibly saving some lives. You bring up a very excellent point. Next year when I retire, I will be moving to a small Rocky Mountain town and will be riding in an area with even smaller towns. After I get resettled, on the list of 'things to do' will be to visit local police and fire departments in the various towns and endeavor to educate them about RoadID and how it is useful in case of accidents resulting in unconsciousness. Thank you!
I was a volunteer EMT with an ALS ambulance in a small rural community for 15 years. We are not as ignorant or under-trained as you make us out to be.

Actually, we handled and were better trained for a lot of situations that urban ambulances never worry about because they are only minutes from the hospital, rather than hours.

Checking for med-alert tags is standard procedure anywhere.

Your energy and time may be better spent on "educating" cyclist about the merits of proper identification, and wearing helmets.

Last edited by Doug64; 02-16-16 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-16-16, 11:01 PM
Sirrus Elite Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doug64, no need to get hostile. I know that you and other EMT's and other first responders are trained to look for Med-Alert tags. I also have personal experience with local First Responders who had no clue what the Road ID was. They thought it was just another plastic wrist band.

I agree with you 100 % about educating cyclists about proper identification. Those that think the handlebar mounted cell phone will still be in place after the crash may want to give that theory another thought. If the impact is great enough to dislodge the rider, the cell phone will probably launch too. Time spent searching for ID in saddlebags and other places separate from the rider will be time lost tending to injured cyclist.

Both of the friends I have lost to cycling accidents were dead on impact from the cars that hit them. The bikes looked like they had been bombed. We picked up pieces that the police didn't have time to look for for days after the crash. Some were more than 200 feet from the impact site.

I also believe that if you don't wear a helmet, well that's what natural selection is all about.
Old 02-19-16, 07:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I have one. I have the interactive one. The only extra line available has my "Type 2" listed. I like the interactive one, it has all my info. That way I don't have to pick what to put. And the yearly cost is nothing. My health and life are at stake. I wear mine every time I leave the house. It was even covered by my insurance as a Medical ID tag.
Old 03-11-16, 05:01 PM

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Way back on 2/14/2016, I wrote:
So just for fun, I checked out my MyChart page and I see that the hospital has enabled the user correction of prescriptions. I wonder how long it will take to update?
So for about three weeks the prescription corrections were listed as pending.Then the option of user correction disappeared, so the errors remain.
Old 03-11-16, 06:33 PM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
I have prosthetic disks and a fusion in my neck, which, I bet, are going to make me hard to tube. Unfortunately, if I'm that banged up, I doubt anyone is going to look at my wrist until I'm quasi-stable. However, if they do, it's all there with other helpful info.

The big worry is how to fit all the care instructions for my minor, but very unpleasant, problems, in a chest tattoo in English, Spanish, and Haitian Creole, for the nursing home.
Old 03-11-16, 08:30 PM
Semper Fi

Two levels fused and plated in the low back, so as posted previously, I swear by my RoadID, the medical professionals and first responders I have talked to about them all said that they have learned to look for them as long as the injured isn't badly ground up, or a TBI/spinal injury type. They can cut the different type bands off with out shifting your body any at all, with the scissors they carry and have the tag with the information, or use the PIN and 800 call number on the interactive ones, like my wife and I use.

No stock in selling folks on them, and I doubt I could change anyone's mind about whether or not to use one, but I do believe in them. From talking with my neurologist, and his nurses, they are a good thing to wear, especially for someone like me with Parkinson's Disease and spinal issues.

Moalpha, good on you for just keeping on riding with that level of work on your spine and in your neck as well. Are you using a drop bar bicycle, or a flat bar? Keep on riding!

Bill

Old 03-11-16, 09:00 PM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Bill, My commuter and road bike have drop bars and I ride in a standard, moderately aggressive, racing position, as I've always done. My unscientific take is that this actually decreases vertical shock loading of the spine which is how I think I screwed up my neck (running). Other than minor sensory changes in the hands and feet from spinal cord damage and a few degrees loss of neck extension, I am 100% recovered from that little inconvenience. I have pissed and moaned about my ruptured lumbar disk episode in another thread.

I'm a neurologist with fellowship training in movement disorders, although that's not what I do, and you're the one deserving of the big "good on."
Old 03-11-16, 09:10 PM
Semper Fi

Hmm, A neuro guy, movement disorder training too, and a cyclist to boot. Where where you when I was searching for someone to handle my PD. JK. Glad you are here in the 50+ Forum. It sounds like you have things sorted out, pretty well.

Bill

Old 03-11-16, 09:48 PM

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
I use RoadId, penicillin allergy, and two contacts.

I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!

Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
https://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net
Old 04-14-16, 05:26 PM

Bikes: Ghost Panmao 6, Orbea Aqua, Mongoose MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the past I haven't carried any personal info but a few days ago I had a good scare. A driver on her cell phone almost ran me over and I don't think she ever saw me.

Now I think I will start wearing my dog tags and a small jump-drive/memory-stick.
Old 04-14-16, 07:38 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by rwings
In the past I haven't carried any personal info but a few days ago I had a good scare. A driver on her cell phone almost ran me over and I don't think she ever saw me.

Now I think I will start wearing my dog tags and a small jump-drive/memory-stick.
Dog tags can be good. Gonna carry that flash drive on your person where first responders or ER staff can't miss it?
Old 04-14-16, 07:56 PM
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I have a Road ID that I wear on my ankle. It has my name, and phone numbers for my wife, daughter and son. On the backside I taped a small paper with my medical info.

I also always carry my cell phone. In my contacts if have a ICE (In Case of Emergency) entry with the same phone numbers, health insurance info and medical info.

Most First Responders know about ICE.
Old 04-14-16, 08:13 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by avidone1
I carry a little velcro wallet in my back jersey pocket. In it I have a photo of my drivers license and some cash. My phone is in the pocket on the other side. My hope is that if someone finds me unconscious on the side of the road they will
1. Use my phone to call 911
2. give my location, apparent condition and ID info to the 911 operator
3. talk to me by name, saying that help is on the way.
4 If #3 is beyond them, then they are welcome to the cash, providing they completed #'s 1 and 2.
Originally Posted by canklecat
I carry my regular wallet, with IDs, emergency contact info, etc. Sometimes I leave my debit card at home and carry enough cash for minor emergencies. I've considered getting a thinner wallet of synthetic material since my leather wallet gets damp when I carry it in my pocket rather than in the handlebar bag. But it's a hassle swapping stuff between wallets, and a risk of forgetting something important.

Regarding emergency medical care, there's always a risk anywhere that we won't be covered. When I worked for the federal government and had various HMO plans (Sanus, Cigna, etc.), I was surprised to discover my insurance did not cover anything other than major emergencies when I was on duty away from my home city. My job involved travel throughout north central Texas, and occasional travel to Chicago for training, but I wasn't covered for anything other than major medical issues, and even then only with prior approval -- which would be difficult to obtain in an emergency if I was unconscious or otherwise unable to call the insurance company for approval.
Neither of these are particularly good ideas for being identified. An EMT will cut your jersey away to get your vitals and look at your body without giving any thought to seeing what's on your person as that can all be sorted out later. Anyway, the EMT is not responsible to call your designated medical Power of Attorney.

I recommend a road ID or similar type bracelet in a bright, noticeable color. Yellow or bright green are good.

Really, don't expect someone to search you so they can notify your wife. It won't happen when the blood if flowing.

One our local riders, a young lady in her 30's, spent four days in a coma in Florida (we live in Texas) after an accident on an MUP. She was careflighted away from the area and it took four days for her husband to find her. Just sayin........
Old 04-14-16, 08:33 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
.... I use an Android phone, will have to check the Google Play store.
There is a bunch of useful help with a smart phone. Even OP's VA records can be download to a phone (https://www.myhealth.va.gov/index.html).

I make my own smartphone lock screen (but might consider disabling it). On my lock screen I have my name and address along with my I.C.E. (In Case of Emergency) contact info. I also keep that info in the phone provided area... but not everyone knows how to access that. But everyone can read a lock screen.

I used an image I took off my phone while using a rotary dial app I have. Here is a "sorta sample"... I think it make a interesting and humorous lock screen

And to make even simpler... I photocopied my DL and health Ins card on one sheet (folded so its DL on one side Ins card on the other side). I wrote contact info in the margins... then laminated it. I keep that in a Ziploc baggie with my phone and a few bucks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sample.jpg (74.6 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 04-15-16 at 09:11 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.