Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Saddles, yet again. (Adamo?)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-16, 06:15 AM

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts

OK, after years of riding a Brooks B17, I started having issues this year. I switched to a C17, which was a slight improvement, and I can get buy with it, but I'm still looking. Question: have any of you fellow geezers tried the Adamo (ISM) saddles? If so, what was your experience with them?
Old 09-15-16, 07:32 AM

Bikes: Giant Roam 3 Kona Esatto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife has an Adamo Typhoon on her road bike. She says it's much better than a stock seat.
We both have the Nexride noseless saddles on our hybrids. Check out their website. Only thing on the seat are the sitbones. I can sit on mine all day and get off and still walk. I'm 57 and don't like to be in pain. They have lycra covers on them from the factory. Took them to an upholstery shop and had them covered in leather for 20$. Try one. You'll like it.
Old 09-15-16, 07:40 AM

Bikes: 1972 Gitane Gransport, 1985 Gitane Performance

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Saddles are such a personal thing. What is GREAT for one person might be unbearable for another. All depends on pelvic geometry. Idle would be to find a friend with the saddle you think you want and give his/hers a try.
I personally have "discovered" the Convor classic design and it fits me and my vintage bikes to a "T".
Go luck and good hunting.
Old 09-15-16, 09:43 AM

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you are experiencing pain at the front of your crotch (perineum), you might take a look at noseless saddles. I use two Adamos (Prologue) and one Cobb (Randee). All three have eliminated crotch pain and I can ride them all day in reasonable comfort.

No traditional saddle I have ever used in the 57 years I've been riding road bikes has equaled the comfort of these noseless saddles. Given my age, 74, I probably would not be riding now given how much more uncomfortable traditional saddles have become for me.

Joe
Old 09-15-16, 11:18 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Edit : That specific one No, Get one , sit on it and see if your arse likes it .

to make the Hole the saddle nose has to be Wider overall

./.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-15-16 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-15-16, 11:46 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I'm 70 and I've been riding an ISM Prologue on my Colnago for the past 3 1/2 years and at this point, I don't think I will ever ride on a different saddle, ever again. It was love at first sit and hasn't changed since then. I ride 8-10,000 miles a year and this saddle has never caused me any pain or discomfort whatsoever.

That said, I have suggested the ISM line of saddles to several of my friends only to find out that they are not for everyone. If you have wide sitbones, these saddles may not be what you are looking for. I would strongly recommend that you try one before you buy. Before you ride on one, make sure that you view the videos on their website for proper mounting of the saddle as they don't mount like standard style saddles do.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 09-15-16, 01:54 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
I remain a Brooks [Team] Pro fan, but I admit the break-in process is not particularly fun.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-15-16, 03:11 PM

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I tried an ISM PR 2.0 earlier this year, after I started having numbness problems with my B17 Imperial.

It's worth a shot, but you need to follow their setup instructions to the letter. Also, you need to ride on it 'square', not to one side - many people ride to one side on traditional saddles. IOW, you need to give yourself some time to get used to it.

Their theory, which works for me, is that you don't spend all that much time riding on your ischial tuberosities; rather, you spend most of your time on your pubic rami. Therefore, sitbone width is a minor concern, if it's a concern at all.

ISMs appear to have a nose, but appearances are wrong in this case. Be sure and check out the medical images at the bottom of the setup page. The rear section of the ISM is deceptive, too. Ischial tuberosities should be placed in front of the widest portion of the seat, and the arms/horns fit about half way into your crotch - dangly bits ride in front of the arms, and soft tissue behind the dangly bits ride in the cutout.

In the end, the PR 2.0 didn't work for me, but it clearly works for a lot of people. I suspect my excess weight may cause problems with the ISM I tried.

If the ISM you choose doesn't work for you, I recommend trying out a Selle SMP saddle. (I'm on a TRK because it was cheap.) Way different from the Brooks. I've been numbness free as far as 20 miles without a break. (I've done several 25-30 mile rides without numbness, but those rides have always included some sort of interruption in butt-on-the-saddle time.) With the SMPs, the dangly bits ride in front of the dip - see the diagrams in the US patent application (sorry, I don't have a link).
Old 09-15-16, 03:14 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
C17 Carved .... the one with the slot and designed for long distance

buy it
Old 09-16-16, 12:27 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I had an Adamo, don’t remember the model. I used it for less than three months before giving it to the local bike co-op. After a twelve day tour I had such a painful rash on the inside of my thighs I had to tip the saddle way down in the front just to keep riding. I’ve read this is a common complaint. On the plus side there is zero pressure on the soft tender places. I see a number of triathletes using them on their TT bikes. You sit far forward with half or more of the rear section there just to satisfy UCI rules.
Attached Images

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence
Old 09-16-16, 12:02 PM

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
The LBS has some loaners, so I'll take a look. I wonder if they have any Cobb loaners, as well? Those look like they might be worth a shot.
Old 09-16-16, 12:40 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
The LBS has some loaners, so I'll take a look. I wonder if they have any Cobb loaners, as well? Those look like they might be worth a shot.
ISM is a local company and I have a friend that works there so I get some of the lowdown scoops. The Cobb saddles and the ISM saddles are almost the same since John Cobb was the architect of that design when he worked at ISM, years ago. One important difference is that the Cobb saddle has the two nose prongs connected from the bottom side of the saddle. One of the issues with the ISM saddles is that if you don't ride square on the saddle, one of the prongs tends to drop below the other prong when the saddle is mounted on seat posts with the clamp bolts on the side. Trek seat posts are a good example. If you tend to ride more to one side over the other, the prong on the side you tend to lean toward will be the one that drops down. The Cobb saddles eliminate this by having the prongs connected. ISM states that to avoid the dropping of one of the prongs, tighten the clamp bolts to the correct torque so they don't loosen up from leaning to that side. My clamp bolts are on the bottom of the clamp, so I have never had that problem.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 09-16-16, 01:15 PM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I have had the ISM Adamo Peak on my Mountain bikes,, (I moved It from my Hard Tail to my full suspension) for almost four years now, love It, wont ride any other kind.

I got a Trek Crossrip 3, the Bontrager Paradigm seat that came with the bike was great,,or so I thought.
As soon as I started riding over 20 miles I started down into the pain locker. Riding In the drops was becoming unbearable.

Just put the ISM PL 1.1 on,,, PL 1.1 ? ISM No pain on the first ride, Done..

Below Is my off road saddle,, sloped rear area for easy slide offs and re mounts, This model has been updated..

Last edited by osco53; 11-29-16 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-16-16, 01:18 PM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Pay close attention to the fit video's as these saddles mount very differently.
I have a Carbon seat post on order for my Gravel bike, My stock post has 8mm offset I want 15mm.

My Mountain bike had 15mm offset stock so no need for a change on that bike...

The width Is NOT an Issue, Not Having to deal with a pointed saddle nose damaging me Is Everything !

As for leaning,, You sit forward on the ISM, Your 'Sit Bones' are correctly supported and your 'Boys' are naturally In front of the seat.

I cannot Imagine not being centered on a bike saddle..

Last edited by osco53; 09-16-16 at 01:22 PM.