Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-04, 08:57 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
Vaterland 3 speed
Ragazzi 7 speed
Kynast 5 speed
Schwinn Cruiser 7 Speed
All are internal hub bikes with coaster brakes; the first three hubs from Sachs, the last is a Shimano
See pictures
2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
No.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
None I feel stronger than ever

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
All my life

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
Commute to work
6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
Commute to work 26 miles R/T daily all year, M-Th (love the 4 day work week, 3 day weekends seem twice as long as 2 day weekends). Around town utility cycling on weekends about 20 miles so.

Less mileage when off from work for holidays and vacation.

Approx. 5,000 miles/year

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
No.

8. Age?
58 this February
Old 11-06-04, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 55 and thinking of buying a recumbent bike. I'm looking at the EZ ride that youdescribed. Tell me all the likes and dislikes about it please.
Old 11-07-04, 11:32 AM
Senior Member (Retired)

Bikes: Vittorio, Centaur triple; Casati Laser Piu, Chorus Triple.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age. 63 1/2

Custom Vittorio (North Holland - 2000) with Campa Centaur 9s triple. Casati Campa Chorus
10s triple on order with hopes of having it in January.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
Have taken several antioxidants and vitamins for about five years for general health. They
do seem to help for that.

Since when? I have only been riding a road bike for three years, and have been
retired for one, so feel that I have only been getting stronger!

As a kid, I rode a lot. Tried 10-speeds in the late 70s and hated them. Started again in 2000
with a city bike, fell in love, and got the road bike in 2001. It is now a passion with me.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
General road riding, with everything listed except commuting and racing.

About 4 days a week. I average about 5-6K Km a year, but I now live in the foothills of the
Alps, so a lot of that is up (and of course down). In fact, climbing has become my favorite
kind of riding. Rides average between 35 Km and 80 Km.

7. Do you do ny other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
No.

Cheers...Gary
Old 11-09-04, 09:15 PM
MB2

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Cervelo P2K, Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My age: 58
Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Cervelo P2K, Surly Cross Check
Supplements: B vitamins, Calcium, magnesium, multivitamin
Have gotten faster over the last few yrs, competing in duathlons until arthroscopic knee surgery in July. Trying to get back to my "normal". Getting stronger cycling, lifting, building core muscles and trying to do some running and swimming. Will probably never get back to duathlons and running races with the knee, but am considering competing in some TTs.
No competitions this past yr at all. Have done time trials, duathlons, centuries--English and metric in the past. Building up knee now, so I can do more of that next yr.
Usually ride 3-4 times/wk, haven't tracked mileage. Had been running 2-3 times/wk.
Will do as much as I can physically as I continue to heal from the surgery. Leg strength is almost even both legs, but limping for wks has messed up my hips and low back. (Broke a toe a month after surgery.)
Mary
Old 11-12-04, 05:29 PM

Bikes: lotus classique ,haro mirra pro,gary fisher mtb 1980's, trek T1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 52 yo have not done much riding past 15yrs rode road bikes and mountain bikes in the past I bought a haro mirra pro bmx bike today maybe losing my mind not sure.I still have my gary fisher mtb will probably ride that some too. I plan to ride the bmx around my neighborhood and play might even try some tricks after I get used to it
Old 11-14-04, 06:51 AM

Bikes: Holdsworth Record, Bianchi San Remo, DeSalvo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I am 62 years old and (4) began cycling as a child, but had breaks of inactivity over the years. Commuted to school in the early 70's (19 mile round trip), and then rode sproadically until spring 2000. I began actively riding again to reduce my blood sugars, and it worked. I control them now with exercise and diet. (1) I currently have three road bicycles with steel frames that I ride, a Holdsworth Record purchased in the mid-70s, a 1999 Bianchi San Remo, and a 2003 DeSalvo. (2) I do not take any special supplements, just allegra for allergies. (3) I assume that I've slowed down over time, but it is hard to tell since I've never been into racing. (5) I commute to work during spring, summer, and autumn which ranges from a 15- to 24-mile round trip. I try to commute at least three days per week, but must miss some weeks due to work schedule. Lack of day light and narrow shoulders on country roads reduces my commuting time in late autumn, winter, and early spring. I ride longer distances on the week ends and have ridden on two 450-mile week long tours. (6) I average 1,500 to 2,000 miles per year. (7) I stay active at home feeding and caring for livestock, most of which I do by hand. This includes carrying 5-gallon buckets of feed, loading and loading hay, etc. I also go to the gym to lift weights and participate in spin classes during the periods of short daylengths. Ride safe and have fun.
Old 11-16-04, 07:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am an even 50 and have been riding bicycles on and off for most of my life. Kids bikes included a favorite Schwinn 24" with baloon tires a green paint job and chrome fenders (which were shortly removed). This was the early 60's and maybe we were the beginning of the mountain bike movement, even extreme cycling. I served as a US Marine on and off, more on for about 24 years, and in between bought a Crescent with the nice orange paint while doing the Rocky Mountain high life in Estes Park Colorado in the summer of 1974.

That was my first multi-speed rig, and I rode that for a couple years until work, marriage and life got in the way, and then a few years later while in college, after watching Breaking Away, and feeling the pull, I bought a Fuji S-12S, and the love affair began anew. Over the years I rode the Fuji when I had the time, the motive and the opportunity, and then eventually sold it to a young Marine who worked for me.

The time has come again, and I plunged deeply and dropped way too much money on my Rivendell Atlantis, and am happily puttering along again. I have some goals in mind, like commuting when ever possible, getting over a sore butt, and getting back to taking positive steps about fitness. Who knows, maybe a marathon is on the horizon.

The RIV! It rides nice, has enough nose up in the air components, and fits me well. It was kind of cool to see after I did all my searching around the internet, and decided on an Atlantis, that lots of older folks like me were into the same bike.

I know, I know, 50 is not old, but try dating a 20 something year old, and see how many comments you get about acting your age (from her and everyone else! Geez, you would think it was a crime to be born and to have the nerve to survive this long, let alone think that you could actually have a life!).

I do have aches and pains, and am not as flexible as I once was, but I still like to ride hard, and feel the good pain in my muscles, and the sweat and hard breathing from pulling up a hill a little faster and in a higher gear each time. I take some multiple vitamins, and once took Super Prostate Formula, and it did help. An irregular association with the Chiropractor keeps me off of a steady diet of Motrin, and if I do lose a couple pounds, maybe the back will settle down some.

My plans for riding include commuting, weekend workouts, and a possible trip down the Korean peninsula when time permits. I live in Seoul, working for the US Forces there, and enjoy riding on the prepared paths, and the narrow streets where you can't pass a pedestrian, let alone the dingbat in the van who just passed you by, and now is doing everything except putting a for sale sign on the thing while keeping you behind her.

If you have not noticed, I do tend to wander and am long winded, but I hope that you enjoyed the posting.

Ride on, have fun, be safe and live every day!

Ciao!
Old 11-18-04, 09:44 PM

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age. 51

2004 LeMond Buenos Aires

No - I slam some extra Vitamin C and echinacea when I get a cold

As a newbie - riding seriously just this past year, I don't have much to compare to - except I know my back and knees won't take the pounding of running and basketball anymore

Celebrated the 1st anniversary of my Buenos Aires acquisition last week. Before that, I had a hybrid, but only rode maybe 3-4 times in the summer, not at all otherwise. I rode a lot (~200 miles/month) for a year or two after college, when I was in the Washington, DC area and got my first 10-speed. My first bike was a 24" Schwinn Tornado, which I rode a lot as a kid.

Long and recreational rides, mostly

15-30 mile rides 2-3x a week, and in the summer, one longer ride a week, usually (40-70 miles). I'll ride ~3200 miles this year. Looking to do an imperial century and maybe a few other organized longer rides next year, if my schedule permits

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?

I workout 2x a week with a personal trainer for general fitness; I like to ski and golf, too, but biking is my main cardio and easily most regular exercise - golf and skiing are much more sporadic and seasonal
Old 11-21-04, 07:26 AM
Just like to ride!

Bikes: TREK and Gary Fisher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? Old TREK 1200

Multi Vitamin, Calcium

Started riding when I was 47. Have increased speed and stamina over the past 4 years.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? 4 years. Use to run but knees got bad. After knee surgery my surgeon suggested cycling. I had not been on a bike since I was a kid. I average 6000 mies per year now, have lost 30 lbs and feel better than I have ever felt. My nitch is endurance rides.

Long rides. Some touring.

6 days per week. Average 6000 miles annually.

No

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??
Old 11-21-04, 07:31 PM

Bikes: Rans Stratus, Trek 1420, Rivendell Rambouillet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age. 58 (59 in December)

I ride three bikes. My main bike is a Rans Stratus long wheel base recumbant bicycle. I ride this bike four days a week, commuting to and from work. It is a workhorse, able to carry 50 pounds easily. My other two bicycles are diamond frame, a Schwinn LeToure and a Trek 1420 road bike. Both bikes are highly modified. The LeToure has a high handlebar (~1.5 inches above the seat height), which gives me a better upright position. I use this bike whenever I want to go downtown on the MAX train. It's a good "beater bike," which is very practical going downtown. I have taken in some professional meetings downtown on this bike. My other, the Trek 1420, is stripped down for exercise riding. I have left the "blinky" light on the back, but it has no fenders, and an elevated handlebar (~1/2 inch over the seat height). I like getting on it because it is very light. I've also put bar-end shifters on it, and I like that a lot.

No - I eat well (but more than my wife), and continue to work out (swimming, scuba diving, and fin swimming; and using an eliptical trainer at home). My wife ensures that I have a daily salad, and keeps bugging me about eating junkies (but I still do some).

I don't feel I've slowed down much in the last ten years. What I'm finding is that my recovery time is greater, and I have one spot on my back where I pulled a muscle about 1994 in a bicycle accident which hurts at the end of the day. But other than that, I maintain about the same speed as I did ten years ago. I do like the recumbant that I started riding about a year ago though. I don't get the headaches I used to get after cycling a long ways (say 25 miles).

I've been commuting for about ten years. Actively commuting since 1996, when I got a new job, I find it a great way to incorporate riding into my daily life.

Mostly commuting to and from work.

Usually 3-5 times a week, about 50 or more miles per week.

As mentioned above, I've been scuba diving since 1959, and continue to the present (I was in the pool today). In addition, I swim laps, and fin swim laps too. I do some eliptical training, and during the annual "civil war" football game between Oregon State University and the University of Oregon yesterday, I got almost an hour of eliptical training accomplish (and my team, OSU, beat the Ducks soundly too).

John
Old 11-21-04, 07:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ebarklaow
I am 55 and thinking of buying a recumbent bike. I'm looking at the EZ ride that youdescribed. Tell me all the likes and dislikes about it please.
ebarklaow,

I would highly recommend the Rans Stratus as a bicycle for you to consider. I have tried a lot of different ones, and decided on the Stratus because I never had a bad ride on it. It is less expensive than some other long wheel base recumbants, and has good components. It also has a proven design; it's been over 20 years since it has been on the market. I like the low BB, as it facilitates my commuting and being in traffic. I believe that the EZ ride is a bit heavier, and has lower-end components. 'Just my $0.02.

John
Old 11-22-04, 10:43 PM
Bob

Bikes: Random assemblies, basic and simple.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of Us, except for You Kids still in Your 50s, grew up when You could not count on being given a car as soon as You turned 16. I was still riding a Schwinn B-26, I think it was, spring front fork, with an old 7.5 HP Merc outboard clamped to the handlebars, shotgun and camping gear strapped all over, 20 miles to the St. Johns River, where a County Judge had an old boat I could use if I got the rest of the stuff there, through most of high school. Then I got a Navy surplus 1947 Cushman Eagle, with a side car, only a little faster than the Schwinn. Had to feed and clean up after 85,000 chickens for a summer, and graduated to a 51 Plymouth. I still miss the old Schwinn! It sure would haul some freight. I rode an old Varsity for years, through half a dozen repaints and overhauls, until it was stolen. I have 2 "generics" now, one of them an $18.95 Goodwill Store special, {Senior discount}, the other pretty much a junkyard dog, I have almost as much fun tinkering as I do riding, and everything beats TV!
I got into photography when I retired, and loving the outdoors, and critters, it turned out to be wildlife photography, any time I try to photograph Humans they all make faces or pick Their noses just as I shoot. I am cursed that way, but animals seem to like Me.
I waited too long to retire, always trying to get that last few bucks in the bank, but had to retire anyway when My Doctor told Me I had no choice. I can still usually pedal to where I want to go, but not always sure about getting back.
I am really looking for info on electric backup, hub motors in particular, so I can keep going. I really do need some feedback on this, it is the only likely way I can keep going on two wheels.
https://photobucket.com/albums/v244/tsiya/
Old 11-25-04, 12:51 AM

Bikes: Tour Easy recumbent, Giant Boulder SE with an Xtracycle attachment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.
49 yrs, 11 mos........OK. There doesn't seem to be an auto-delete function for underaged posters, so I'll go on.

Tour Easy recumbent.

When I remember to take them.

A lot due to an illness that nearly sucked the life out of me and that I'm still recovering from after 5 years.

I quit in my early 20's, then picked it up again in spring of '03 as a low impact way to speed up the recovery from that illness.

Commuting 9 miles round trip with some rec trips. I especially like commuting because it gives me a definite start-stop point. I've never been much for aimless wandering.

At least 5 days a week. I don't know the mileage.

No. The job takes care of that.
Old 11-26-04, 10:43 AM

Bikes: LeMond Zurich

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) Still have my '98 Lemond Zurich. All my oher bikes have had to go as my financial and marital circumstances have changed.
2)Supplements can be effective, but cost is a factor since they aren't covered by health insurance. The most scientifically accurate source of information (in my opinion, of course) is the Life Extension Foundation (www.lef.org). Multivitamins, COQ10, glucosamine with omega 3 fats for joint mobility, nexrutine to prevent inflammation, etc. Anyone taking statin drugs absolutely should supplement with COQ10!!!
3) I only took up cycling in my late 40's, as my knees began to give out from running. At my current age of 55 I have noticed a slight slowdown. Age seems to mainly affect other factors: recovery time, soreness and stiffness, grouchiness, etc.
4) Have been cycling for 8 years.
5) Road cycling on weekends. Medium distance...20-40 miles.
6) A long commute to work (150 minures/day) has radically affected the time I can devote to cycling. I literally leave home and arrive in the evening in darkness. Weekends alone can't cut it...this has affected my fitness more than aging.
Old 11-26-04, 05:38 PM
Jim Shapiro

Bikes: Bianchi Imola (road), Bianchi Axis (general), Centurion Elite RS (fixed gear), Centurion Elite GS (lunch rides at work), Miyata (work in progress), Trek 7000 (mountain biking)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First, I just turned 64 years old.

a. Bianchi Imola (for longer road rides)
b. Bianchi Axis cyclocross (for most road rides -- wider tires = fewer flats)
c. 1970's Motobecane tourer (when the ride includes any bicycle paths)
d. Trek 500 (keep this one at work so I can ride at lunch)
e. Trek 7000 (mountain riding)
f. Fendt shaft drive, as in chainless (my handicap when I ride with my wife)
g. Track bike under construction

No.

It's hard to say. I think I'm in pretty good shape for my age, but I can't climb hills like I used to. Sometimes I ride with a woman who's 30 years my junior and a former racer. I can pretty much keep up with her on the flats, but when we hit the (inevitable) hills it's no contest. I'm just glad I can ride as well as I do.

59 years, save for my undergraduate college years. Geez, now I wish you hadn't asked.

Almost everything but racing and serious mountain riding. I'm unable to commute at the moment but I did for years, sometimes to park and rides. Mostly now I take 15 - 20 mile loops, summer and winter, hot and cold, whenever the roads are dry.

With a bicycle stashed at work and a path out my front door, I'm on a bicycle at least four times a week. I generally ride alone, and Sunday mornings are my favorite times, peaceful, with few cars on the roads. I don't keep track of mileage.

I try to get a nice fast walk in on days when the weather gets between my and my bicycles.
Old 11-26-04, 06:45 PM

Bikes: 14 road, 1 SS, 2 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.

Mostly road, one single speed and a little bit of MTB.

1500mg Vitamin C, 1 Centrum Silver, 1000mg Glucosamine, B complex multi. Recently quit taking 800mg of Vitamin E daily.

Not at all.

All my life with a big gap between 25 and 40.

Long rides.

200-300 rides per year, 6500 miles on average.

No.
Old 11-27-04, 08:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 54 and started riding a bike in May 04. I broke my ankled snowboarding in february and biking was the only low impact exercise I did that made it feel good. I then became a fanatic.

I have a Trek 3700 mtb but I am going to a cyclocross bike in the spring so I can ride more road situations but still ride the dirts roads I have been having fun on.

Daily men's supplement and 2000 mgs of Ester C

I am not sure. I just started riding this year

Just since this May.

Dirt roads with a lot of steep hills. Planning on doing more road work next spring.

I ride 4 to 5 days a week. My average ride is about 14 or 15 miles. I try to do 35 miles on the weekend. I have ridden over 1200 miles since the end of May.

I do an intense resistance stretching (yoga like) for 45 minutes before each ride. I also do 1 hr of yoga a day.
Old 11-29-04, 05:51 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.
Giant Sedona DX and Giant OCR1
Multivitamin, garlic pill and baby aspirin
Not sure. Took up cycling about 2.5 years ago after a layoff of 25 years
Answered in above question
road cycling - 10 miles a day, 20 on weekends - recreational
At least 5 times per week including trainer - 900-1000 miles per year
Treadmill occasionally and use a weight machine
Old 11-29-04, 07:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I posted a couple of days ago but I would love to know in what part of the country each person posting comes from. I am from the Hudson Valley and we had a little snow storm 2 weeks ago. The weather gets pretty wild here starting in November. Just thought it would make the survey complete.
Hass
Old 11-29-04, 07:49 PM
Recovering Retro-grouch

Bikes: Too Many - 7 or 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CRUM - Acton, Maine - Not Acton, Mass. Picture a map of Maine. The western border squiggles a tad at the bottom. Where the Border squiggle stops and heads straight North, that's Acton, Maine.

My Blog - Lost in the Bo Zone
Old 11-29-04, 10:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Beaverton, Oregon near Portland. It's been overcast, foggy and cold (high of 37, low about freezing) this week so far. Now, it's probably warming up as it is raining. I rode today, and Sunday, with about 27 miles between the two days.

John
Old 11-30-04, 01:38 PM

Bikes: 1971 Pugeot PX 10 - First real bike. Current ride is a new customized Bacchetta recumbent - Dura Ace/Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recumbent - Bacchetta - customized Strada

Yes

Speed has decreased - endurance has increased slightly

Since 1971 - Started touring w/ a Peugot PX10

Mostly commutes and tours

Inclusive of indoor riding in the winter/ tours / commutes - 6,000+

Cross country skiing

Do my riding near the Red River of the North - Fargo, ND
Old 11-30-04, 11:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? 58

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? NO

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? I lost a step when I turned 30. But I think I'm getting "faster" now, and I sure as hell don't thing I've slowed down since then.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? Started riding in 1984. Started getting kind of serious in 1993. And got pretty much real serious in 2002.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race? Road Bike. One week-long ride each summer (Wisconsin last, Colorado next). Several one day or multi-day rides also, (Hotter 'n Hell Hundred, Firecracker 100, RAGBRAI [two days of rain]).

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? As often as I can, weather and work permitting. Live in North Missouri. 2025 miles so far in 2004.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.? Weight training sporadically, although I'm trying to get real serious about it; running rarely, although I'm trying to get into it for the winter months.

Old 12-04-04, 11:46 AM

Bikes: Merlin Road road bike and Intense Tracer MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Age 58. Male.
Road bike is a ti Merlin Road. MTB is an Intense Tracer.
No vitamins or supplements because most are ripoffs.
Better now than 10 years ago.
Use biking to control Diabetes Type II and weight. No meds required.
Also in early stages of leukemia (CLL). No treatment yet, thanks to biking. Not slowing down yet.
Fairly low carb diet aids the above. I cheat when riding a lot (g).
Average road ride is 30-40 miles, two to four times a week. 3500-4000 miles this year.
No other hobbies other than usual "honey dews".
Bring on the hills, the more the better. Easy to find here in east TN.
Ride a lot with active bike club on group rides. Smokey Mountain Wheelmen, Knoxville. www.smwbike.org
Welcome out of towners on any of our group rides!
Hope you like hills!
Age is only a state of mind!
Old 12-05-04, 06:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dawes Super Galaxy Tourer. Shimano triple, 29 gears

Vit C, Cod Liver Oil, Glucosimene. Sp.

LOL got faster actually over the last three years. But then I have only been cycling properly as it were for that time.

Three years.

Long day rides, looking to build up to longer Audax rides eventually. 400k and up is the target.

I only am able to ride half the year, see the intro thread for the reason why. I do about 3000 a year.

Some exercise band work. I cannot run.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.