Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Are we drinking too much water?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-11, 07:55 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts

An article in Science Daily says that runners (and by extension, undoubtedly cyclers) are drinking too much water. I summary: experts recommend drinking only when thirsty and accept a temporary loss of a few pounds after running (riding in our case). They found that a third of runners follow a pre-set drinking schedule and a third wrongly believe they need extra salts. The danger is that over-hydration will dilute sodium in the blood to dangerous levels. From the article: "The International Marathon Medical Directors Association recommends that runners drink only when thirsty." After a dehydration episode a few years ago I have been loading up on water -- maybe too much?
Old 10-14-11, 07:58 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Everything in moderation ;-). Having said that, a little too much water is better than too little.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 10-14-11, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,042 Times in 4,475 Posts
Common sense and experience will help here. If I'm doing a climbing ride on a hot day there is no way I can get enough water in and frequently drink over 200 ounces and still get dehydrated.
On a flat ride on a cool day obviously I need a lot less.
The other thing is to prevent an extreme imbalance of minerals by eating and/or taking electrolytes.

If you wait until you are thirsty you are making a mistake, especially if you have a bunch of hot climbs ahead.
Old 10-14-11, 09:24 AM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
People die in marathons from drinking too much water, which causes a dangerously low level of sodium. There is a real danger of misdiagnosis and people think they are dehydrated and drink more water. Arguably it is more dangerous than dehydration.

Here is a good article discussing the issue: https://www.rrm.com/rrmsamplehyponatremia.htm
Old 10-14-11, 09:27 AM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
In a word, No.

Like big john above, on a hot day I'll sweat about twice as fast as my body can absorb what I'm drinking. Now that the daily highs are below 90 F, over a day's ride I can almost balance water in/water out, and only by forcing myself to drink.

When it gets cold, my kidneys take care of any excess I drink. Maybe I could force myself to drink a gallon when it doesn't get over 60 F, but since it doesn't feel right, I don't.
Old 10-14-11, 10:39 AM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Where I live, I can drink over 200oz of water on a long hot summer ride, and still lose 2-3% of my body weight. Waiting to drink until 'thirsty' could be life threatening. With that much water flowing through, you obviously have to also be popping electrolytes, and I take enough to ensure my sweat is salty. Learning to manage hydration (and nutrition) is a huge part of the endurance learning curve, and oversimplifying it is dangerous.
Old 10-14-11, 10:52 AM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Context is everything. Where I live it is usually cool and I can go a long way on not much water. I probably overdrink as a precaution.

But last year in Tanzania at 47C/116F in direct sun I found that I could barely drink faster than I could sweat. On one 50-mile ride I drank seven litres of water - that's over 1.5 US gallons - and couldn't pee for several hours after the finish. Scary.
Old 10-14-11, 10:58 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hot midsummers day with the temp in the 80's (once the sun came up) and a long 14 hour ride that was going to make you sweat. I had one pee after about 3 hours and that was the only one of the day. The 1 litre per hour of water was exceeded by 25% and I lost no weight on the day- but that was probably down to the amount of food consumed to replace what we were burning on the ride and The BIG bucket of Greasy KFC after the ride.

I do not know about over drinking during exercise- But I have felt the effects of de-hydration a few times. That has finished me for a couple of hours each time.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-14-11, 11:00 AM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chasm54
But last year in Tanzania at 47C/116F in direct sun I found that I could barely drink faster than I could sweat. On one 50-mile ride I drank seven litres of water - that's over 1.5 US gallons - and couldn't pee for several hours after the finish. Scary.
For me, the key to handling the hot rides is to drink significantly before, and then early on in the ride. If you get behind the hydration curve, you're toast. You'll never catch back up. Now that it has cooled off, I can just 'drink when thirsty'.
Old 10-14-11, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,042 Times in 4,475 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch
People die in marathons from drinking too much water, which causes a dangerously low level of sodium. There is a real danger of misdiagnosis and people think they are dehydrated and drink more water. Arguably it is more dangerous than dehydration.

Here is a good article discussing the issue: https://www.rrm.com/rrmsamplehyponatremia.htm
The people who die in marathons are not the elite runners, and not even experienced runners, most likely. They are the people who are spending 5 or 6 hours running and guzzling water without anything else. At least that has been the case in the cases I have read about.

Part of becoming a distance cyclist is learning to manage your food and water intake and what works for you. If you are going for a 6 hour ride you should know what to expect and how to prepare for it.
Old 10-14-11, 02:25 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Venture 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read somewhere* that you should alternate sports drinks (i.e Gatorade etc...) with plane water to keep your electrolytes balanced when you are biking, running, etc. Is this close to the truth?

* that black hole that spews all sorts of mis-information. Related to "They say..."
Old 10-14-11, 02:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much weight are people losing, on average, during long 5 - 6 hour rides in 80+ degree weather?

This summer, my average weight loss is 5 pounds on long rides exceeding 5 hours and that's with eating and drinking anywhere from 150 to 200 oz of water and electrolyte drinks. Is this normal?

After the ride, I feel thirsty, but not excessively so and after eating and drinking my weight comes back up.

What's normal for you?

Thanks for posting the link to the story.

Last edited by GFish; 10-15-11 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-14-11, 02:58 PM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pete In Az
I read somewhere* that you should alternate sports drinks (i.e Gatorade etc...) with plane water to keep your electrolytes balanced when you are biking, running, etc. Is this close to the truth?

* that black hole that spews all sorts of mis-information. Related to "They say..."
You have to figure out what you need to maintain your electrolytes. I don't drink Gatorade, as I'm not looking for sugar or other 'stuff'. I use Hammer Endurolytes tablets, which give me the electrolytes I need, and I drink plain water. Makes a refill really easy, and I can pop the tablets before a ride to get the electrolytes primed without drinking a lot of liquid, that might make me need to urinate during the ride. Once into the ride, I can drink steady without worrying about having to urinate. The tablets also let me monitor my intake, and also boost that intake if I feel my muscles might be starting to cramp.
Old 10-14-11, 03:24 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Drink what you want when you want. Do we need science to tell us everything we should or shouldn't do? If my mother were still alive and I asked her when and what I should drink, the first thing she would say is "Are you stupid?" then she would give the above mentioned advice. A wise woman in her way, my mother.
Old 10-14-11, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
There is a discussion in the Long Distance Forum on this. Go read it for some relevant information which I am not going to repeat here (I am about to set out on hopefully back-to-back centuries).

But in brief, we are talking about marathon runners; there was as far as I can see no extension to cycling as the OP said. And the closest that any riders in the 50+ forum come to similar are those who do regular LD -- and there are very few of them.

In addition, there is a balance needed needed between fluid and electrolyte intake (Gaorade blurs all this because of its sugar content and is not, in my opinion, a good sports drink because it plays havoc with insulin).

The danger with these articles is that people hold back on drinking when they should actually be keeping their intake up, and they end up dehydrated with as serious consequences as those portrayed by overdrinking.
Old 10-14-11, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
You lost me at...The Experts say......"Experts say" is a secret code between clean fingernailed slackers that means I have a job for another month.

Your body will tell you more than any expert out there.....just listen.

Last edited by Booger1; 10-14-11 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-14-11, 04:27 PM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jackb
Drink what you want when you want. Do we need science to tell us everything we should or shouldn't do? If my mother were still alive and I asked her when and what I should drink, the first thing she would say is "Are you stupid?" then she would give the above mentioned advice. A wise woman in her way, my mother.
Don't do a summer ride here in Phoenix with that approach. WE would be the ones asking "Are you stupid?"
Old 10-14-11, 04:30 PM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Booger1
You lost me at...The Experts say......"Experts say" is a secret code between clean fingernailed slackers that means I have a job for another month.

Your body will tell you more than any expert out there.....just listen.
In many situations, your body tells you too late for you to reverse the problem. That is most definitely the case when it comes to hydration here in the desert. Giving that advice to someone here is telling them to endanger their life. Be careful with that...
Old 10-14-11, 05:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok...

Forget I said Gatorade. The question is: Would it be a good idea or a bad idea to alternate a non-Gatorade sports drink with plane water?

I'm very new at this, I just got past twenty miles a day about a month ago. From what I've read on the forums, I will be getting into rides that I will have to eat and/or drink something during the ride. Right now I'm alternating between freezing and sweating but, it's warming back up so, it's more just the sweating.

I'm just wondering if it's worthwhile to try this or not.
Old 10-14-11, 07:44 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Ok...

Forget I said Gatorade. The question is: Would it be a good idea or a bad idea to alternate a non-Gatorade sports drink with plane water?

I'm very new at this, I just got past twenty miles a day about a month ago. From what I've read on the forums, I will be getting into rides that I will have to eat and/or drink something during the ride. Right now I'm alternating between freezing and sweating but, it's warming back up so, it's more just the sweating.

I'm just wondering if it's worthwhile to try this or not.
Are you currently riding up to twenty miles without drinking anything?
Old 10-14-11, 08:27 PM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok...

Lots of people do just that: one bottle of water; one bottle of something with carbs and electrolytes. Many people also add electrolytes to the water bottle, so that everything they drink contains electrolytes, and they stay balanced.
Old 10-14-11, 09:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Are you currently riding up to twenty miles without drinking anything?
Heavens no. About half way through I stop and drink about 3/4 of a bottle of water. My question was about electrolytes and such.

Originally Posted by AzTallRider
Lots of people do just that: one bottle of water; one bottle of something with carbs and electrolytes. Many people also add electrolytes to the water bottle, so that everything they drink contains electrolytes, and they stay balanced.
That answers my question. Thank you.

Now I suppose I should learn how to drink while riding. That should be an adventure.
Old 10-14-11, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The preceding posts mostly seem to focus on hot weather. The same effect is experienced in cold weather and low humidity. It is just as difficult to maintain performance and health hydration levels in cold temperatures as hot. Drink till you are comfortable and you can maintain performance.
Old 10-15-11, 12:52 AM

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I don't know, I only drink coffee. I think there is water in it but the one offsets the other so I am in perfect balance.
Old 10-15-11, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
I don't know, I only drink coffee. I think there is water in it but the one offsets the other so I am in perfect balance.
Except coffee is a diuretic, and your water intake will be more than depleted by the peeing you do because of that effect. If you drink a lot of coffee during the day at work, and wonder why you look old and haggard in the face every morning, and you feel lethargic, and you visit the restroom often, you are likely dehydrated as a matter of course.

Oh yeah, finished the first century just now, and we remained reasonably hydrated... and fed... and electrolyted thanks to good old Enduralytes.

HawkOwl also is right about that cool weather thing, and if anyone reads the Long Distance forum thread, they will see a reference there that there is as much danger of dehydration on a cool,. intense ride, as there is on a moderately warm ride at the same ambient temps.

Last edited by Rowan; 10-15-11 at 01:46 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.