Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Redneck Morons in Pickup Trucks

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Redneck Morons in Pickup Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-14, 03:55 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,994 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyb
More often than not, If I get buzzed, it is by a pick up truck or a Harley
Interesting. With few exceptions, I've found people on touring bikes to be very courteous. Crotch rockets ... well ...

Old 06-04-14, 03:56 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Originally Posted by Zinger
Well I drive a pickup (Dodge Dakota) and have been known to associate with rednecks (and could easily pass for one if I ain't) and my feelings ain't hurt any.......I approve the OP's message.
My kids have me figured out as someone who aspires to be a redneck. No kidding.

I think they have better parties.

Old 06-04-14, 04:07 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 383 Times in 308 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
My kids have me figured out as someone who aspires to be a redneck. No kidding.

I think they have better parties.
Lol

I've uh.....been a baaad influence on redneck coworkers in my much younger days when it comes to partying.
Old 06-04-14, 05:16 PM

Bikes: 2009 Bianchi Roadie,1977 Columbia Roadie, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek 830, Centurion LeMans, Rans V-Rex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
I believe you can be angry without being fearful. In the OP's particular case I can't see the connection.

I had a Deputy Sheriff almost do the same thing to me. Several cars were stopped at a traffic signal, all of which just passed me, while I was riding in the bike lane. The Sheriff's patrol car was about the 3rd car back from the intersection. On the right was a convenience store with a large driveway opening on to the street. As I passed the stopped cars, still in the bike lane, the sheriff's car abruptly wheeled right into the convenience store's parking lot. I was almost beside him and had to lay my bike down to keep from getting hit or hitting the car. I was not fearful; I was plain pissed off, and if I could have gotten up quicker, I'd have let the deputy know how pissed I was. I asked a lady coming out of the parking lot if he had signaled his move, and she said, "no". She also said she thought that he had actually hit me.

I did call the sheriff's department's dispatcher, and was assured the incident would be discussed at the evenings debriefing.

I never thought that he was a moron or a redneck, just someone who had a bad lapse in judgement. Heck, I've never done anything stupid while driving

Better be careful, in the Orlando area they have had cops hit two riders in the last few months. The department circled around them and no charges were filed. If other departments hear about this they just might not miss anymore....
Old 06-04-14, 06:56 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Cazzzidy
I concur that truck drivers seem to consistently provide the least amount of room while passing, and seem to be most likely to "buzz" me deliberately. Stereotype or not I don't trust a man in a lifted truck.
Be careful when you use the term truck driver, lots of professional truck drivers, wouldn't dream of cutting close, and they are the ones who are most sure of where their corners are.
Old 06-05-14, 05:47 AM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogster
Be careful when you use the term truck driver, lots of professional truck drivers, wouldn't dream of cutting close, and they are the ones who are most sure of where their corners are.
+1. IME, they're also the ones who will wait behind you on a blind curve or hill rather than try to pass.

Demain, on roule!
Old 06-05-14, 06:14 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
+1. IME, they're also the ones who will wait behind you on a blind curve or hill rather than try to pass.
Yup, and if you signal a slow or stop, they will be the ones to comply to the best of their ability, even when time is money.
Old 06-05-14, 07:00 AM

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I see your pickup and Harley, and raise you one ratty old dumptruck with Lowboy and bulldozer.
Yep
Old 06-05-14, 07:03 AM

Bikes: all diamond frames

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Interesting. With few exceptions, I've found people on touring bikes to be very courteous. Crotch rockets ... well ...
Fat middle aged guy on a low rider, no helmet, gut hangin over his belt, no mufflers, own the road type, not guys on gold wings
Old 06-05-14, 07:51 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Dont bash white for a pickup or a car for that matter. White is the most logical choice for paint. It is made with titanium dioxide which is the strongest pigment for paint. It stays cooler in the summer and prevent the inside of the car from getting so hot. And the usual point, is that it doesnt show dirt quite so bad.
Old 06-05-14, 02:47 PM

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogster
Last year, My commute went past 2 scrap yards.

Drivers of these monstrously huge overloaded metal scrap trucks, not in the best of shape by the looks of it, making a delivery at about 6. Were ever so considerate and careful. Week after week...
Old 06-05-14, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
  • “If you’ve ever made change in the offering plate, you might be a redneck.”
  • “You may be a redneck if . . . your lifetime goal is to own a fireworks stand.”
  • “If you own a home with wheels on it and several cars without, you just might be a redneck.”
  • “You may be a redneck if . . . you think you are an entrepreneur because of the “Dirt for Sale” sign in the front yard.”
  • “You might be a redneck if …the blue book value of your truck goes up and down depending on how much gas it has in it.”
  • “You may be a redneck if . . . you have spent more on your pickup truck than on your education.”
  • “If you ever cut your grass and found a car, you might be a redneck”
  • “If you think the stock market has a fence around it, you might be a redneck”
  • “If your wife has ever said ‘Come move this transmission so I can take a bath.’, you might be a redneck”
  • “If your wife can climb a tree faster than your cat, you might be a redneck”
  • “If you’ve ever financed a tattoo, you might be a redneck”
  • “If the gas pedal on your car is shaped like a bare foot, you might be a redneck”
  • “If you think a turtleneck is key ingredient for soup, you might be a redneck”
  • “If someone asks to see your ID and you show them your belt buckle, you might be a redneck”
  • “If your dog and your wallet are both on a chain, you might be a redneck”
  • “If your wife’s hairdo has ever been ruined by a ceiling fan, you might be a redneck”
  • “If you bought a VCR because wrestling comes on while you’re at work, you might be a redneck”
  • “If your dad walks you to school because you’re in the same grade, you might be a redneck”
  • “If your mother doesn’t remove the Marlboro from her lips before telling the State Trooper to kiss her ass, you might be a redneck”
  • “If you only condiment on the dining room table is the economy size bottle of ketchup, you might be a redneck”
  • “If you think ‘loading the dishwasher’ means ‘getting your wife drunk’, you might be a redneck”
  • “If birds are attracted to your beard, you might be a redneck”
  • “If you’ve ever been involved in a custody fight over a hunting dog, you might be a redneck”
  • “If you think the French Riviera is foreign car, you might be a redneck”
  • “If you have ever spray-painted your girlfriends name on an overpass, you might be a redneck”
  • “If you ever cut your grass and found a car, you might be a redneck”
  • “If you ever got too drunk to fish, you might be a redneck”
  • “If you stand under the misteletoe at Christmas and wait for Granny and cousin Bobby-Sue Ellen to walk by, you might be a redneck”
  • “If you think that Dom Perignon is a mafia leader, you might be a redneck”
  • “If your idea of a 7 course meal is a bucket of KFC and a sixpack, you might be a redneck”
And my favorite
if you've ever carried a bucket of paint to the top of a water tower to defend your sister's honor, you just might be a redneck.
Old 06-05-14, 09:28 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I gotta say it ...

Demographic most likely to give me grief on the road: 20 something males driving full sized pickups. A distant second is someone driving a luxury car.

Demographic least likely to give me grief on the road: Immigrant gardeners driving their flat bed or pickup with their stuff in the back.
Agreed....but the 200 pound young mom in a small SUV who has a cellphone glued to her ear, speeding, and running stop signs scares me the most.
Old 06-06-14, 05:48 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Redneck Mormons in pick up trucks? I thought they all rode bikes.
Old 06-06-14, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1592 Post(s)
Liked 1,021 Times in 573 Posts
I was riding in a torrential rain storm a few weeks back. Coming down a hill on a 55 mph road, I was almost at the center line as the rest of the roadway had too much standing water. When the young man in a large wheeled orange pick up slowed and rolled down his window when passing, I expect to hear a complaint about my positioning. Instead, he offered me a ride.
Old 06-06-14, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
Last year, I was riding in northern Ontario, taking a rural road north out of Dryden, when a young guy in a diesel pickup with two 6 inch stacks coming the other way stopped to warn me he had just seen a bear with two cubs about a quarter mile ahead.
Old 06-06-14, 06:45 AM
Seat Sniffer

Mulholland Double Century several years ago. We're pedaling up a steep section of Cold Creek in utter darkness. A big black SUV appears behind us, and slowly moves over to pass. The passenger window rolls down, and a 20 something male leans out the window ...

"Hey, if you don't mind me asking, what the hell are you guys doing out here, anyway?"

"Finishing up a double century ... a 200 mile bike ride."

He leaned into toward the driver and repeated what we said, then leaned out the window again, fist in the air:

"You guys rock!"

Old 06-06-14, 07:05 AM

Bikes: 89 Raleigh Technium PRE, 92 SP 1000 ti, '09 Team Pro, 72 International, 63 Hercules 3-spd, '81 Vitus 979, 2 Kabuki Submariners, 2 C. Itoh Submariners, Gary Fisher Big Sur, Skyway 3-spd, Robin Hood w/ S-A IGH 5 speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find that are are morons (redneck or not) in every type of vehicle. I find that generally I get buzzed more often by SUVs and pickups in suburban situations. When I ride well out into the countryside almost everyone is courteous. I would say that the vast majority of motorists are courteous and cautious.

I do try to avoid riding through areas with a heavy white working class population. There are too many drunks, methheads, jacked 4X4s, and dumbasses with a chip on their shoulder. It gets a little too crazy for my taste.
Old 06-06-14, 07:56 AM

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by modelmartin
I find that are are morons (redneck or not) in every type of vehicle. I find that generally I get buzzed more often by SUVs and pickups in suburban situations. When I ride well out into the countryside almost everyone is courteous. I would say that the vast majority of motorists are courteous and cautious.

I do try to avoid riding through areas with a heavy white working class population. There are too many drunks, methheads, jacked 4X4s, and dumbasses with a chip on their shoulder. It gets a little too crazy for my taste.
I find your racist rants offensive. This is your second posting pointing out that you don't like working class whites. Your trolling has paid off. Jerks are upholstered in a wide variety of colors. Try riding through Baltimore or Memphis and see what shade "gets a little too crazy" for your taste.
Old 06-06-14, 08:05 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Willard 2, Spec Sequoia Elite, State 4130 AllRoad, Catrike Expedition, Mercier Nano mini velo

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
In 30 years of riding, all the sadistic, hateful things I have seen have been done by young white men. I've been spat on, buzzed, had bottles, cans , and even chunks of ice thrown at me, not to mention all the obscenities and insults. Not just here in California, but having toured across the U.S. the worst part of that trip was in Eastern Kansas, Kentucky, and Missouri where thrown objects were a daily part of the ride.
I live in the suburbs of Kansas City, so Missouri. You're right on. People here are idiots toward those on bicycles. I've had stuff thrown at me, trucks blare horns and try to run me off the road, and people yelling "get off the road!" at me. I'm a conscientious rider and never press my luck with cars. If people wait for me at intersections, I wave, say thank you, etc. I have lights and wear hi vis clothing. So I don't think it's my abrasiveness on the road.

There is a local radio show which on Friday has an hour where you can call in and vent about whatever bothered you that week. Quite a lot of the calls are funny. But one thing I have noticed, week in and week out as a regular listener. There are always 2 or 3 calls *****ing about people on bicycles. There are never any calls from cyclists griping about people in cars. So there is a general pervasive redneck attitude here that cyclists are second class citizens on the road. This is a pretty sedentary town compared to some places I've seen (contrast Denver or Portland, for instance). People here drive huge vehicles, eat a lot of BBQ, and watch movies. So we don't have the overall fitness culture as a city, in general, that promotes bike friendliness.

By the way, having lived in both rural MO and rural KS, I can say that rural Missouri is way scarier and a lot more like Deliverance. Rural MO is a little bit like the film Gummo in a lot of places.

This pretty much sums up the vehicular attitude around these parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZeFDe44Ddo&feature=kp

Last edited by syncro87; 06-06-14 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-06-14, 08:20 AM

Bikes: 89 Raleigh Technium PRE, 92 SP 1000 ti, '09 Team Pro, 72 International, 63 Hercules 3-spd, '81 Vitus 979, 2 Kabuki Submariners, 2 C. Itoh Submariners, Gary Fisher Big Sur, Skyway 3-spd, Robin Hood w/ S-A IGH 5 speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slorollin
I find your racist rants offensive. This is your second posting pointing out that you don't like working class whites. Your trolling has paid off. Jerks are upholstered in a wide variety of colors. Try riding through Baltimore or Memphis and see what shade "gets a little too crazy" for your taste.
Your assumptions are making an a s s out of you! I am white and work as a Machinist. I work with a lot of working class white people who are not drunks, methheads and are respectful of all people. Racist? Puhleeeze! Your mention of what shade gets a little too crazy strikes me as coded racism. Chip on your shoulder, perhaps?
Old 06-06-14, 08:39 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Your assumptions are making an a s s out of you! I am white and work as a Machinist. I work with a lot of working class white people who are not drunks, methheads and are respectful of all people. Racist? Puhleeeze! Your mention of what shade gets a little too crazy strikes me as coded racism. Chip on your shoulder, perhaps?
Whereas your racism is overt.
Old 06-06-14, 08:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whereas your racism is overt.
What racism? I was just observing that white trash are more often the people who buzz and harass bicycles. I am white. How is that racism? Please explain. Also please explain your touchiness about this.
Old 06-06-14, 08:53 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
What racism? I was just observing that white trash are more often the people who buzz and harass bicycles. I am white. How is that racism? Please explain. Also please explain your touchiness about this.
Nope, I am disengaging. I've had my say. Go your own way. I choose to ignore you and your bile rather than be dragged down to your level.

I know I know, some of your best friends are white (trash) people.

Last edited by slorollin; 06-06-14 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-06-14, 09:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know I know, some of your best friends are white (trash) people.
Not really. I can't stand white trash.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.