Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Old 09-10-11, 04:54 PM
  #5476  
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 9,107

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by domyen


Anyone have experience with Specialized Purist Bottle?
If it's not insulated I'm not interested! My favorite bottles are the 24oz Polar bottles, that's all I use; but there are other manufactures like the Camelbak and one other I can't think of the name are now insulated, but supposedly due to tests I seen the Polar still insulates the best.
rekmeyata is offline  
Old 09-10-11, 06:22 PM
  #5477  
shedding fat
 
dgasmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,149

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post






Box of each!
__________________
Arguing with ignorant people is an exercise in futility. They will bring you down to their level and once there they will beat you with their overwhelming experience.
dgasmd is offline  
Old 09-10-11, 06:24 PM
  #5478  
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,505

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
^^^ how are they (taste/texture)?
WhyFi is offline  
Old 09-10-11, 06:31 PM
  #5479  
Member
 
captainkanji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 28

Bikes: Giant Rincon & Iguana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just installed on my new Long Haul Trucker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
VO_fenders.jpg (38.5 KB, 22 views)
captainkanji is offline  
Old 09-10-11, 06:35 PM
  #5480  
shedding fat
 
dgasmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,149

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhyFi
^^^ how are they (taste/texture)?
It is one of the few things I can tolerate when riding. I think foods and drinks are one of those things you just have to try yourself. Having said that, the texture is soft, but not goo like. Very good taste too with very fresh and natural flavors.
__________________
Arguing with ignorant people is an exercise in futility. They will bring you down to their level and once there they will beat you with their overwhelming experience.
dgasmd is offline  
Old 09-10-11, 06:38 PM
  #5481  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Soloist Assassin
Yeah, they are nothing short of awesome. Water taste pure like drinking from a glass.
Great, more Specialized shwag I'll need to buy.
ErichM is offline  
Old 09-10-11, 06:55 PM
  #5482  
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,505

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by dgasmd
It is one of the few things I can tolerate when riding. I think foods and drinks are one of those things you just have to try yourself. Having said that, the texture is soft, but not goo like. Very good taste too with very fresh and natural flavors.
Thanks - sounds like they're worth a try (and it looks like a nearby shop carries them).
WhyFi is offline  
Old 09-10-11, 07:22 PM
  #5483  
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 9,107

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Thanks - sounds like they're worth a try (and it looks like a nearby shop carries them).
You don't need expensive bike boutique foods, that's just a huge ripoff unless your a pro getting the stuff for free. A lot of protein bars can be found at Walmart like Met-Rx Big 100 Colossal Bars; they, Walmart, even have a protein shot in a tube you can gulp fast on a ride or after a ride. Do some research and you can find stuff on the market place way cheaper then at an LBS. Drink wise Poweraide works as good as any LBS drink, in fact I buy Gatorade in a can and it works great, it's cheap, but I dilute it 50% for drinking while riding; why pay $1.50 or more for one bottle of drink on the bike when you can get the same effect for 10 cents a bottle?

Those Bonk bars only have 8 grms of protein, the Met RX has 21! Walmart has other bars too that have more protein the 8 gms. You can also put protein shake into a water bottle, I know some that do that, or you can simply use Nesquik, it has 8 grms of protein and it's cheaper then even the Walmart protein shakes.
rekmeyata is offline  
Old 09-10-11, 07:37 PM
  #5484  
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,505

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
You don't need expensive bike boutique foods, that's just a huge ripoff unless your a pro getting the stuff for free. A lot of protein bars can be found at Walmart like Met-Rx Big 100 Colossal Bars; they, Walmart, even have a protein shot in a tube you can gulp fast on a ride or after a ride. Do some research and you can find stuff on the market place way cheaper then at an LBS. Drink wise Poweraide works as good as any LBS drink, in fact I buy Gatorade in a can and it works great, it's cheap, but I dilute it 50% for drinking while riding; why pay $1.50 or more for one bottle of drink on the bike when you can get the same effect for 10 cents a bottle?

Those Bonk bars only have 8 grms of protein, the Met RX has 21! Walmart has other bars too that have more protein the 8 gms. You can also put protein shake into a water bottle, I know some that do that, or you can simply use Nesquik, it has 8 grms of protein and it's cheaper then even the Walmart protein shakes.
I know - for me, they're more of a last-minute convenience thing, than anything. If I have time to prepare, I'll slap something together for the ride. These days, though, I'm lucky if I find *any* time, so getting out the door quickly is worth paying a little extra, sometimes. If I don't have to choke on a chalky bar, more the better. (Oh, and I don't drink anything but water on my rides - I can't stomach sports drinks, even watered down. Also, warm water is okay. Warm just-about-anything-else usually takes like crap.)
WhyFi is offline  
Old 09-10-11, 09:06 PM
  #5485  
Senior Member
 
thehammerdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NWNJ
Posts: 3,704

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
for me it was a small but very important investment. Prep-H. I hve suffered all summer now I feel better
thehammerdog is offline  
Old 09-10-11, 09:23 PM
  #5486  
i got nothing.
 
Crash716's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cali Forn NI A (SoCal)
Posts: 5,723

Bikes: 13 BH G6 with SRAM Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
If it's not insulated I'm not interested! My favorite bottles are the 24oz Polar bottles, that's all I use; but there are other manufactures like the Camelbak and one other I can't think of the name are now insulated, but supposedly due to tests I seen the Polar still insulates the best.
gimmick…test have been done, it's like 3 degrees cooler after the first hour…and after about 2 hours it's the same.
__________________
14 days...
Crash716 is offline  
Old 09-10-11, 09:33 PM
  #5487  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,468

Bikes: 2011 Cervelo S2, 2001Trek USPS 5200, 06 Cervelo P3 Alum, 1999 Schwinn Pro Stock BMX, 1987 Schwinn Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crash716
gimmick…test have been done, it's like 3 degrees cooler after the first hour…and after about 2 hours it's the same.
I have two polar bottles, and they just sit in the shelf. They are heavy, and they hold less water than of one of equal size that is non-insulated. I never thought they were all that great. Not sure why I ever bought them.
Soloist Assassin is offline  
Old 09-10-11, 10:08 PM
  #5488  
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 9,107

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Soloist Assassin
I have two polar bottles, and they just sit in the shelf. They are heavy, and they hold less water than of one of equal size that is non-insulated. I never thought they were all that great. Not sure why I ever bought them.
The one's I buy hold 24 oz's of fluid, that's not small. And heavy? Once any bottle is full it's heavy, what a thing to whine about. On hot days you need to bring down you core body temperature, and a non insulated bottle heats up too fast even if you freeze the bottle overnight it's unthawed and hot in an hour. With insulated bottles I can freeze one overnight and it will be ice cold with ice after 2 hours in 90 degree weather.

But regular bottles are great for someone who doesn't ride for more then hour.
rekmeyata is offline  
Old 09-10-11, 10:17 PM
  #5489  
i got nothing.
 
Crash716's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cali Forn NI A (SoCal)
Posts: 5,723

Bikes: 13 BH G6 with SRAM Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
The one's I buy hold 24 oz's of fluid, that's not small. And heavy? Once any bottle is full it's heavy, what a thing to whine about. On hot days you need to bring down you core body temperature, and a non insulated bottle heats up too fast even if you freeze the bottle overnight it's unthawed and hot in an hour. With insulated bottles I can freeze one overnight and it will be ice cold with ice after 2 hours in 90 degree weather.

But regular bottles are great for someone who doesn't ride for more then hour.
funny..i consistently do 3+ hour rides with regular bottles…how do i make it?
__________________
14 days...
Crash716 is offline  
Old 09-10-11, 10:17 PM
  #5490  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,468

Bikes: 2011 Cervelo S2, 2001Trek USPS 5200, 06 Cervelo P3 Alum, 1999 Schwinn Pro Stock BMX, 1987 Schwinn Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
The one's I buy hold 24 oz's of fluid, that's not small. And heavy? Once any bottle is full it's heavy, what a thing to whine about. On hot days you need to bring down you core body temperature, and a non insulated bottle heats up too fast even if you freeze the bottle overnight it's unthawed and hot in an hour. With insulated bottles I can freeze one overnight and it will be ice cold with ice after 2 hours in 90 degree weather.

But regular bottles are great for someone who doesn't ride for more then hour.
I don't even use cold water anymore. I just put room temperature water in there, because usually by the time I need a drink it's hot anyway. Plus cold bottles drip condensation all over my frame, and then dirt sticks to it. I used to always be all about cold water, but it's just hard to have such a thing when in the heat of the summer. When I race however I try to always put ice in the bottle, it still heats up in about an hour or so. I've thought about using the polar bottles for racing, but the weight and size is a turn off, a 20oz is the size of a regular 24oz. I've spent a lot of money making my race bike sub 14lbs. It seems counter productive to put 130g bottles on it.
Soloist Assassin is offline  
Old 09-10-11, 10:18 PM
  #5491  
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 9,107

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Crash716
gimmick…test have been done, it's like 3 degrees cooler after the first hour…and after about 2 hours it's the same.
Actually your wrong...very wrong. See this: https://www.palmbeachbiketours.com/in...insulated-bpa/

And: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fDjmaV3IIQ

And those tests confirm my personal use as well as others I've known.
rekmeyata is offline  
Old 09-10-11, 10:19 PM
  #5492  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,468

Bikes: 2011 Cervelo S2, 2001Trek USPS 5200, 06 Cervelo P3 Alum, 1999 Schwinn Pro Stock BMX, 1987 Schwinn Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crash716
funny..i consistently do 3+ hour rides with regular bottles…how do i make it?
x2
Soloist Assassin is offline  
Old 09-10-11, 10:23 PM
  #5493  
Middle-Aged Member
 
MikeyBoyAz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 2,276

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Soloist Assassin
I have two polar bottles, and they just sit in the shelf. They are heavy, and they hold less water than of one of equal size that is non-insulated. I never thought they were all that great. Not sure why I ever bought them.
I'm with you. Here it is hot! but I don't like how the insulated bottles feel squishy. What good is the bottle after 2 hrs? here... none.
MikeyBoyAz is offline  
Old 09-10-11, 10:24 PM
  #5494  
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 9,107

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Soloist Assassin
I've spent a lot of money making my race bike sub 14lbs. It seems counter productive to put 130g bottles on it.
Your racing a sub 14 pound bike? Must not be racing in any UCI sanctioned races.
rekmeyata is offline  
Old 09-10-11, 10:39 PM
  #5495  
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 9,107

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyBoyAz
I'm with you. Here it is hot! but I don't like how the insulated bottles feel squishy. What good is the bottle after 2 hrs? here... none.
I use to live in the deserts of California from Palm Springs to Palmdale/Lancaster to Bakersfield and I can tell you insulated bottles worked in 100+ degree heat! If I froze a Polar bottle solid it was still icy cold with ice in it 2 hours later. What I use to do on long rides was take 3 bottles, the night before freeze one solid, then fill one of the bottles chuck full of ice and pour chilled drink into it, then take the last one and fill it about 1/2 full of ice and pour chilled drink into it. As I rode I drank from the 1/2 ice one first, then moved to the full ice one, then the frozen one. The frozen one by the time I got to it 2 to 2 1/2 hours later was still icy cold with ice small chunks in it.

The Polar bottles are not squishy, in fact some riders on other forums thought they were too stiff, I never thought they were too stiff. The Camebak insulated bottles are squishy. Of the two I don't know which is better, I only use Polar, I heard Polar stayed cooler longer from bias Polar bottle studies, but I cannot confirm that. I'm sure if I searched I could find a independent test but I don't care enough because it would probably be such a small difference it wouldn't matter.

But people that truly race know that a lowering their core body temperature is crucial for increasing performance, there have many tests that concluded this, here's one such test and report: https://surj.stanford.edu/2003/pdfs/Cooling.pdf
rekmeyata is offline  
Old 09-10-11, 10:42 PM
  #5496  
Boom.
 
Blackdays's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh -> Cleveland -> San Francisco
Posts: 2,523
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Your racing a sub 14 pound bike? Must not be racing in any UCI sanctioned races.
Are you?
Blackdays is offline  
Old 09-11-11, 12:06 AM
  #5497  
Senior Member
 
javal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Örebro, Sweden
Posts: 1,318

Bikes: Monark sportser 1970, Monark sportser 1970ish, Monark folder, Mustand 1985, Monark Tempo 1999, Monark 318 1975, Crescent 319 1979, Crescent 325 c:a 1965, Crescent Starren 2002 (hybrid/sport), Nordstjernan 1960`s cruiser.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano 105 (FD 5700). Silver.
javal is offline  
Old 09-11-11, 01:34 AM
  #5498  
Senior Member
 
Curlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Park Tool DS-2 Scale
Curlin is offline  
Old 09-11-11, 03:05 AM
  #5499  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,468

Bikes: 2011 Cervelo S2, 2001Trek USPS 5200, 06 Cervelo P3 Alum, 1999 Schwinn Pro Stock BMX, 1987 Schwinn Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackdays
Are you?
Didn't you know we have Phillipe Gilbert posting on bf nowadays.....
Soloist Assassin is offline  
Old 09-11-11, 05:50 AM
  #5500  
grilled cheesus
 
aham23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 8675309
Posts: 6,956

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dgasmd






Box of each!
all outstanding, but my favorite is the Espresso Chip. so good. later.
__________________
aham23 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.