Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-18, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 486 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3857 Post(s)
Liked 6,991 Times in 2,684 Posts
Originally Posted by Salubrious
Very nice build, but you should be aware that the alloy FMs have a distressing quality of ejecting their guts right through the hub body (no worries with the steel versions, and no worries with the alloy FWs). Alloy FMs should not be used for anything other than something to look at- maybe an ashtray or something.
Thanks for the heads up, but I've had that wheel on a bunch of different bikes for quite a while now--so far, so good. We'll see if I need to grab an Uber if it fails in the middle of a long ride.
Old 07-12-18, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 353 Posts
@nlerner - as you might remember I had a mid-70s Wes Mason myself (in the mid 70s)...now that I see your frame it is very different - mine had wrap over seat stays and a sloping crown on the fork...

anyway - love the build - did a similar build to get a 531 based IGH using my trek 600 - but ended up with flatter bars (didn’t like the drops overall).

Last edited by markk900; 07-12-18 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-12-18, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 353 Posts
@BigChief: my current favourite saddle is the b67 I bought new - now that it’s adapted itself to my rump its a wonderful saddle - spends its days on the 49 Humber but it has moved around
Old 07-12-18, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
Don't know if anyone has tried this before, but it's new to me. Since I started messing with 3-speeds, one of the things that has been uncomfortable for me is the vintage grips that were on the bikes. The simple round ones seemed to small for my hands, and the ones with finger ridges didn't match up with my grip. Now, if I were building garage queens that wouldn't be ridden, I'd definitely leave the original grips on the bike. But I ride my Raleigh much more than I thought I would (errands, moderate rides of 15-20 miles), so I started looking at grips that would be more comfortable.The other day in the shop, I had somewhat of an epiphany, which is rare on account of all the brain cells I've murdered over the years. With supplies on hand, I put together a pair of very nice grips that are super comfortable. Here's what I did:
1. I had length of wide heat shrink tubing that I use to secure the bar tape on my road bikes. Got it on eBay a couple years ago.

2. I rummaged around and found an old pair of mountain bike grips that I had swapped out years ago. They are clamp-on, so they will be easy to remove.

3. Then, I dug through my scrap bag and found some old bar tape that I removed from my road bike last year. I keep it around for padding when I rewrap my bars.

4. I cut two pieces of shrink wrap off (about a quarter inch each) and set them aside.

5. I wrapped the mtb grips just like you would wrap a road bar. I used a small piece of tape to hold the bar tape as I started it.

6. When I had the bar tape on the way I wanted it, I slid the shrink wrap over each end and heated it up with me heat gun (don't get the gun too close to the grip).

Turned out pretty nice and very comfortable!
Old 07-12-18, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Thanks for the heads up, but I've had that wheel on a bunch of different bikes for quite a while now--so far, so good. We'll see if I need to grab an Uber if it fails in the middle of a long ride.
Looks to me like you have this question (century on an IGH) solved. And, a very nice build it is, too. Long as it doesn't assplode. What's the cog on the rear? I'm guessing 19t.

I have only one 4 speed and that's a 4 speed dyno hub that I bought from a forum member. It's built into a wheel with a 40h Dyad and I have the build into a SC MKII about half way done. Having a bit of trouble getting the shift from fourth to third to not pause at the neutral in between. Haven't spent enough time with it to determine whether it's the hub or the shifter that's hanging. The shifter is from a 51 step through -- a 3 or 4 speed one. Worked fine on that bike. MIght just need to have the cable replaced. Anyway, it's a steel shell so when I get it on the road it likely won't be assploding all over the place. I hate it when that happens.
Old 07-12-18, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 86 Posts
The 51 Rudge I'm working on now is my oldest project bike so I have some learning to do. As found, it had this steel kickstand attached.

It's a poor fit to the frame, looks aftermarket to me. The first mention of a Raleigh factory kickstand I can find is here in this 1951 catalog. It was a cast version offered as standard on the Superbe. There is no mention of kick stands in the 1948 parts catalog. As best as I can tell, Raleigh's light roadsters didn't come with them until the 1951 Superbe.

I may be wrong, if anyone here can correct me, please let me know, but I'm betting the clunky steel stand on the Rudge wasn't original factory equipment and this gives me the right to chuck it. The bike wil get a nice 70s cast alloy Pletscher ESGE .
Old 07-12-18, 08:22 PM
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 2,069 Times in 1,261 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Total weight on my hanging scale as shown is about 22.5 lbs.

...I'll take it for a 20-30-mile test ride in the next day or so and decide if it'll suffice for a century ride next week.
Really nice build Neal!
Old 07-12-18, 08:26 PM
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 2,069 Times in 1,261 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
I may be wrong, if anyone here can correct me, please let me know, but I'm betting the clunky steel stand on the Rudge wasn't original factory equipment and this gives me the right to chuck it. The bike wil get a nice 70s cast alloy Pletscher ESGE .
i think we've discussed this but why wouldn't you want the Raleigh spec stand. It won't crush your stays and is elegant.

Please let me know if you want one.
Old 07-12-18, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by clubman
i think we've discussed this but why wouldn't you want the Raleigh spec stand. It won't crush your stays and is elegant.

Please let me know if you want one.
I have one...somewhere. Saw it a couple of years ago when I tried it on a 64 Sports project. Lost track of it since. I'm sure I didn't throw it away, but I didn't like it. Very tippy. I'm reasonably sure this bike didn't originally have a stand, but this one put a dent in the left chainstay, so I'd like to cover it, but I'm not at all satisfied with the Raleigh stand.
Old 07-13-18, 06:48 AM

I cleaned up and polished the frame and front end chrome. Came out really nice. No rust issues anywhere. I added a spot of paint where the steel kickstand damaged the left chain stay and gave the small tube at the lower rear mudguard mount an extra coat because it seemed to be a spot that might collect moisture, but there was no rust even there.

I tried using varnish to repair the cloth cable housing covers, but found it was too light to hold the loose fibers down against the housing like I was hoping for. I went to plan B and mixed up some JB Weld with very little of the white hardener in the mix so it would stay black. I soaked the loose fibers with the glue and waited about 45 minutes until it got thick and gummy. Then I was able to roll the housing in my fingers and press down the frayed fibers. This time they stayed in place.

Old 07-14-18, 06:43 AM

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ddeand
Don't know if anyone has tried this before, but it's new to me. Since I started messing with 3-speeds, one of the things that has been uncomfortable for me is the vintage grips that were on the bikes. The simple round ones seemed to small for my hands, and the ones with finger ridges didn't match up with my grip. Now, if I were building garage queens that wouldn't be ridden, I'd definitely leave the original grips on the bike. But I ride my Raleigh much more than I thought I would (errands, moderate rides of 15-20 miles), so I started looking at grips that would be more comfortable.The other day in the shop, I had somewhat of an epiphany, which is rare on account of all the brain cells I've murdered over the years. With supplies on hand, I put together a pair of very nice grips that are super comfortable. Here's what I did:
1. I had length of wide heat shrink tubing that I use to secure the bar tape on my road bikes. Got it on eBay a couple years ago.

2. I rummaged around and found an old pair of mountain bike grips that I had swapped out years ago. They are clamp-on, so they will be easy to remove.

3. Then, I dug through my scrap bag and found some old bar tape that I removed from my road bike last year. I keep it around for padding when I rewrap my bars.

4. I cut two pieces of shrink wrap off (about a quarter inch each) and set them aside.

5. I wrapped the mtb grips just like you would wrap a road bar. I used a small piece of tape to hold the bar tape as I started it.

6. When I had the bar tape on the way I wanted it, I slid the shrink wrap over each end and heated it up with me heat gun (don't get the gun too close to the grip).
As I've gotten older I've noticed hand and wrist discomfort on longer rides so I'm all for discarding any received wisdom in favor of whatever is effective. If your DIY grips work well, great, and they look good, too.
Old 07-14-18, 06:50 AM

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Both the AW hubs I have in use have developed a reluctance to stay in first gear, even with the shift cable pulled tight (really tight). Is this a symptom of weak pawl springs?
Old 07-14-18, 07:36 AM

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked 3,160 Times in 1,017 Posts
Originally Posted by ddeand

Great solution! I’m “borrowing” the heat shrink approach for my road bikes to be sure. I have large and bony hands, and I find that shellacked cork grips give me a good fit with reasonable shock absorption for our rough city streets.

Old 07-14-18, 12:12 PM
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 353 Posts
The 51 Rudge I'm working on now is my oldest project bike so I have some learning to do. As found, it had this steel kickstand attached.

It's a poor fit to the frame, looks aftermarket to me. The first mention of a Raleigh factory kickstand I can find is here in this 1951 catalog. It was a cast version offered as standard on the Superbe. There is no mention of kick stands in the 1948 parts catalog. As best as I can tell, Raleigh's light roadsters didn't come with them until the 1951 Superbe.

That is a later, aftermarket stand. Then tend to mash the chainstays in particular (that's the type of stand that mashed the stays on my Sprite). The 1970s Raleigh ESGE stands are a good replacement (Raleigh Model A, I think).
Old 07-14-18, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by SirMike1983
That is a later, aftermarket stand. Then tend to mash the chainstays in particular (that's the type of stand that mashed the stays on my Sprite). The 1970s Raleigh ESGE stands are a good replacement (Raleigh Model A, I think).
Yes, the ones sold by Raleigh with the R-A stamp. Those are the ones I look for. They have the ears on the top plate that extend down and lock it in alignment with the rest of the stand. I think these require even less torque than the ones with independent top plates to hold firmly. The difference between these and the alloy Raleigh stands isn't just a little. It takes a far greater force to knock the bike over if it's fitted with an ESGE.

Old 07-14-18, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
@BigChief - What a lovely bike. Thank you so much for posting your progress. I have always wondered if and how to disassemble a flick shifter, as I have some that need work on the “innards” but I couldn’t figure a way to get apart, or get back together.

If you end end up doing any disassembly or spring replacement I would be happy if you could post some up close photos. I appreciate your efforts.
Old 07-14-18, 09:24 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I figured this 1956 sports was worth $50. Kind of rough.Haven't had an "AW" hub before. What are the differences compared to an "SA"hub?

Last edited by johnnyspaghetti; 07-14-18 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-15-18, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Velocivixen
@BigChief - What a lovely bike. Thank you so much for posting your progress. I have always wondered if and how to disassemble a flick shifter, as I have some that need work on the “innards” but I couldn’t figure a way to get apart, or get back together.

If you end end up doing any disassembly or spring replacement I would be happy if you could post some up close photos. I appreciate your efforts.
It's a fun project, like hubs, to undertake. Disassembly is easy. All you need is a work area where you won't loose tiny parts, the right size punch and something to support the front of the unit as you drift the pins out. A board with a hole would do.
The two headed pins are only press fit into the back wall of the case. Once you drift them clear of that, the whole assemble comes apart. The 2 tiny pins in the trigger are loose. Be careful not to loose them. I have a photo gallery showing both styles of triggers disassembled. There's also a handy picture showing the correct position of the cam against the trigger. Getting it back together is the tricky part because you have to get the two headed pins lined up to their holes while everything is under pressure from the pawl spring. There's a trick to that that I would be happy to describe in detail anytime. I love shop talk.
shifter gallery
Old 07-15-18, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti
I figured this 1956 sports was worth $50. Kind of rough.Haven't had an "AW" hub before. What are the differences compared to an "SA"hub?

Hard to see in these pictures, but it looks like you might get a window shifter, some silver cable housings, bottom bracket parts, fork maybe? a 56 AW and a dyno hub out of it. Too bad about the seat stay. Don't know if the frame is reparable or not.
Old 07-15-18, 06:59 AM

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 288 Posts
Robin Hood Update
Despite trying various solutions, this Robin Hood still seems to wander at low speeds.
I even swapped out the front wheel with no improvement. I still like it.

I found a nice little saddle bag here in Toronto at the Dollarama for $4.00.
We'll see how long it holds up.

I've also added an old "SOTAM" bell.
Sounds like the Ice Cream Man.

Meanwhile, someone I know is looking for a bike and I'm thinking of offering a choice of one of these.
1971 Hercules
1964 Eatons Glider
1972 Raleigh Superbe
All have been rebuilt and are ready to go.
I can offer a better price if I swap out the leather saddles for vinyl.
Old 07-15-18, 08:32 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hard to see in these pictures, but it looks like you might get a window shifter, some silver cable housings, bottom bracket parts, fork maybe? a 56 AW and a dyno hub out of it. Too bad about the seat stay. Don't know if the frame is reparable or not.
I figure th GH6 is worth it alone, Everything turns well but the rear cable is seized. Again, English style brake cable routing. Good crank & pedals.

Last edited by johnnyspaghetti; 07-15-18 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-15-18, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by gster
Robin Hood Update
Despite trying various solutions, this Robin Hood still seems to wander at low speeds.
I even swapped out the front wheel with no improvement. I still like it.

I found a nice little saddle bag here in Toronto at the Dollarama for $4.00.
We'll see how long it holds up.

I've also added an old "SOTAM" bell.
Sounds like the Ice Cream Man.

Meanwhile, someone I know is looking for a bike and I'm thinking of offering a choice of one of these.
1971 Hercules
1964 Eatons Glider
1972 Raleigh Superbe
All have been rebuilt and are ready to go.
I can offer a better price if I swap out the leather saddles for vinyl.
Nice day for a ride here today. Heavy overcast but no rain. Been riding the semi scorcher lately. I tend to binge ride different bikes. You're lucky. I don't know a soul that wants old 3 speeds and I really need to start getting rid of a few. It's on my list of things to do.
Old 07-15-18, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti
I figure th GH6 is worth it alone, Everything turns well but the rear cable is seized. Again, English style brake cable routing. Good crank & pedals.
Oh, you got a bunch of nice stuff there. The whole crank and pedals look good. Even the mudguards and chainguard look like they could be smoothed out and repainted. Hope you can salvage the cable housings. Hard to find good 50s silver ones like that. I'll be doing my very first Dyno hub soon. There's a good rebuild video for them on youtube. Looking forward to that, but If I have any daylight left after chores today, I think I'll ride instead of wrench.
Old 07-15-18, 01:10 PM
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 1,716 Times in 611 Posts
Carlton's First Sunday Morning Ride

Some of you know that I've been fiddling with this first-generation Raleigh/Carlton Super-Course 3-Speed conversion. I've named it "Carlton" because I name all my bikes, and it seemed to be the most natural sobriquet to use on this build.

Who knew I would find so much trouble keeping rear wheel alignment with these slick, chrome rear dropouts? But the normal anti-rotation nuts I got from Harris Cyclery always crack and fall off, and the other ones I found online work great for preventing axle rotation, but they tend to slide back and forth so I always end up with tire-rub on the chainstays!

This has been a most vexing problem, but I finally zeroed-in on root-cause and corrective action, so that this bike now rides the way I wanted it to all along. Unfortunately, the key to the solution is a plastic doodad that I pilfered from an old Peugeot Versailles, which fits inside the dropout and prevents the non-drive side from sliding backwards, and a Surly "Hurdy-Gurdy" to keep tension on the chain. (no photos yet, sorry) And I know this is not a permanent solution, because as soon as the chain starts to stretch, I'll have to figure out what to do with the non-drive side to keep it in alignment. One idea is to rough-up the chrome dropout on that side and do some fine file work on the A-R nut. That should cause enough friction to keep it in place (I hope...).

But enough of all that, here are some photos from this morning's ride to a local coffee shop called "Amore":

As you can see, and just like Goldilocks in the children's fairy tail, I tried several different parking locations; none of which were "just right". You see, in my rush to get going this morning, I forgot to bring my lock. So I went inside and asked the nice lady behind the counter if I could bring my bike in with me. She said, "Sure, no problem. Just park it against a wall somewhere."

So I did. Then I ordered a blended iced mocha, found a good book on the shelf, and settled in for a nice morning treat:

Afterwards, it being Sunday and all, I decided to ride over to the bluffs where I could at least have a nice view of the Cathedral while I meditated on the meaning of life and whether Internal Gear Hubs really are the One True Way to velo-motive happiness.

May St. Urmey-Archer bless you all, so that you acquire the wisdom to avoid false neutrals and resist the temptations of the Evil Derailleur.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!

Last edited by DQRider; 07-15-18 at 01:14 PM.
Likes For DQRider:
Old 07-15-18, 04:57 PM

Bikes: 30's Speedwell Club Racer, 40's Speedwell 'Z' racer, 50's Unknown Aussie with nice lugs, 50's Speedwell Roadster, 50's Repco Roadster, '63 Raleigh DL-1, 70's Raleigh Sprite, Puch Promenade with Nexus 8

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider

May St. Urmey-Archer bless you all, so that you acquire the wisdom to avoid false neutrals and resist the temptations of the Evil Derailleur.

For thine is the Pinion, the Pawl and the Pawl Spring, forever and ever, Lubricate. Nice background for your bike!

Last edited by arty dave; 07-15-18 at 07:27 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.