Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What road bike do you have?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What road bike do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-07, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a shill!

and again!

Old 09-03-07, 02:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 09-03-07, 02:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant TCR Alliance 1. Shimano 105 equipped
Old 09-03-07, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no pictures but just purchased specialized allez comp
Old 09-03-07, 10:21 PM
Semi-Gearless

Bikes: Exile SS 29'er, Windsor The Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got a Kestrel Talon. First road bike in a long time - previous one was a Super Le Tour 12.2 (circa 1978). How things have changed!

Last edited by MrCrassic; 09-13-08 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-03-07, 11:19 PM
Stop It!

Bikes: Ferrari, Euro sport, Wheeler.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attachment 53726

Ferrari now with Bora's....

Old 09-04-07, 02:17 AM
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^ didn't know Ferrari was a bike brand too, must be a preety good frame to deserve Boras
Old 09-04-07, 02:20 AM
Sua Ku

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New 2007 BMC Streetfire (can you think of a stupider name for a bike?)

Faithful 2006 Trek 5200 OCLV

Last edited by rollin; 09-05-07 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-04-07, 02:54 AM
Snail-paced new boy

Bikes: Colnago Extreme Power, Ribble Winter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That Ferrari looks great, simple and very effective!
Old 09-04-07, 01:21 PM

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (touring), Dahon Cadenza (commuter), Dahon Speed (trails), Norco Roma (winter), Yamaha FZ6 (moto)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cervelo R3 2007
- All stock parts (Shim Ultegra, etc).
- Specialized Armadilo Elite tires (25).
- Accessories for daily ride and weekend touring.

While the R3 is a beautiful bike, my accessories certainly don't accentuate its features.

Old 09-04-07, 01:24 PM

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (touring), Dahon Cadenza (commuter), Dahon Speed (trails), Norco Roma (winter), Yamaha FZ6 (moto)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not so beautiful, but she cruises along the country at 37 kph without me braking into a sweat. 42 kph when I open her up on the flats. Let's see a touring bike do that, eh?

It is amazing how comfortable this bike is (relatively speaking) for long distance rides. 200 to 250 km a day and I don't have any significant pains or soreness to speak off. (The trick is to ride it like a racer: keep moving my posture around from sitting to hammering to climbing, etc.)

Dressed for weekend touring along the mountainous highways of British Columbia. As shown, this ride can do a few days completely unsupported (no resupplying, no refreshments, no motels). Water is collected from mountain streams along the highway (abundant in B.C.); food is energy bars - I am use to running a caloric deficit on ultra-marathons, etc.

As shown:
- Outdoor Research summit bag (30 liter, red/grey on tail rack).
- Garmin 60csx with City and Topo maps for N.A.
- Sleeping bag,
- Hennessey hammock (tent),
- Evening clothing,
- Hiking shoes,
- Energy bars, gatorade.
- Note the blue water bottle is a Katadyn filtration bottle for collecting water along mountain highways.

Old 09-04-07, 01:29 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Soliost

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skeleton
Same bike, dressed for weekend touring.

Not so beautiful, but she cruises along the country at 37 kph without me braking into a sweat. 42 kph when I open her up on the flats. Let's see a touring bike do that, eh?

Of all the bikes you could do that to why an R3?? why not something meant for comfort and long rides???
I try not be be rude to anyone on here but, That i have to say is a complete waste of a frame.
Old 09-04-07, 01:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djbowen1
Of all the bikes you could do that to why an R3?? why not something meant for comfort and long rides???
I try not be be rude to anyone on here but, That i have to say is a complete waste of a frame.
No offence taken ... I am sure that Cervelo than thought their bike would be used for mountain touring. But just for a moment, try thinking outside the box:

I do ultra-marathons, speed-backpacking, etc. For me, I go out one weekend every month and go as far as I can, whether I am wearing trail-runners, snowshoes, or tires. The R3 allows me to go way way faster than any touring bike - so I can achieve my distance.

I have four other bikes and a motorcycle in my garage. Sure, they are all more comfortable than the R3. But I have been lucky that my body can tolerate a stiff frame like the R3 over all-day or all-weekend rides. For me it turns my crank to hammer up a mountain on this bike, then blister down the other side at 70 to 80 kph, and then again all day long. At the end of the day, I pull over and hike my bike a short distance into the mountain forest, and camp for the night. Next morning I rise with the shine of sun and music of the birds at 5:00 am. An hour later I am back at it on the bike. This type of riding is probably suited for only a few bikers, but for cyclist (and mountaineers) like myself - this is HEAVEN ON EARTH.

Last edited by Skeleton; 09-04-07 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-04-07, 02:06 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Soliost

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No offence taken ... I am sure that Cervelo than thought their bike would be used for mountain touring. But just for a moment, try thinking outside the box:

I do ultra-marathons, speed-backpacking, etc. For me, I go out one weekend every month and go as far as I can, whether I am wearing trail-runners, snowshoes, or tires. The R3 allows me to go way way faster than any touring bike - so I can achieve my distance.

I have four other bikes and a motorcycle in my garage. Sure, they are all more comfortable than the R3. But I have been lucky that my body can tolerate a stiff frame like the R3 over all-day or all-weekend rides. For me it turns my crank to hammer up a mountain on this bike, then blister down the other side at 70 to 80 kph, and then again all day long. At the end of the day, I pull over and hike my bike a short distance into the mountain forest, and camp for the night. Next morning I rise with the shine of sun and music of the birds at 5:00 am. An hour later I am back at it on the bike. This type of riding is probably suited for only a few bikers, but for cyclist (and mountaineers) like myself - this is HEAVEN ON EARTH.

Nice, you should email Cervelo those photos. i am sure Gerard would get a kick out of them.
Old 09-04-07, 02:41 PM
Scum, Freezebag!

Bikes: 2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plus, you might argue that, for 'ability to take a beating' and 'endure the rigors of the road' and 'take everything it's rider can give it', the Cervelo R3 is an ideal touring and ultra-endurance cycling frame.

If I did that style of riding, the R3 would be high on my list.
Old 09-04-07, 03:00 PM
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djbowen1
Nice, you should email Cervelo those photos. i am sure Gerard would get a kick out of them.
+1...

I literally gasped when I saw that R3, but being the great frame that it is, I'm not surprised in the least that it's use surpasses racing and the appreciative enthusiast like myself

Skeleton Definitely send those pics to Cervelo, they'd love it! You may even get an honorary picture post on their site, 'cause I can't imagine there are too many other folks out there using it in that way.
Old 09-04-07, 09:12 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
^^ I cant believe you are in that saddle all day? Is that Selle Italia?
Old 09-04-07, 09:41 PM
Stop It!

Bikes: Ferrari, Euro sport, Wheeler.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rollin
^^ didn't know Ferrari was a bike brand too, must be a preety good frame to deserve Boras

The frame is an unknown quantity really, Taiwan speacial I call it. Still strong after 5000k though and pretty light to. 1.1kg
I've always wanted a white Ferrari so I put a sticker on it. I think the fact it's a little diferent is what I like most about it and it rides fantastically. As far as deserving Bora's? Who knows, go's great with them on though. They are a sublime wheel set. It's a real bitsa bike with a mix of 06 - 07 record and 06 veloce shifters and rear derailer. And the list goes on.
Old 09-05-07, 01:52 AM
Sua Ku

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cervelo R3 2007
- All stock parts (Shim Ultegra, etc).
- Specialized Armadilo Elite tires (25).
- Accessories for daily ride and weekend touring.

While the R3 is a beautiful bike, my accessories certainly don't accentuate its features.
Old 09-05-07, 02:32 AM
Snail-paced new boy

Bikes: Colnago Extreme Power, Ribble Winter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol, I would be gutted if you went past me with all that kit on the bike! (This would be highly likely if you lived near me beacuase I am a snail paced new boy...)
Old 09-05-07, 07:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went from a tank of a hybrid to my first road bike about a month ago and I must say, I'm in love!

Old 09-05-07, 07:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New 2007 BMC Streetfire (can you think of a stupider name for a bike?)

Faithful 2006 Trek 5200 OCLV

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that BMC run you? And how do you like the ride difference between it and the trek
Old 09-05-07, 08:40 AM
Sua Ku

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Idioteque

Bear in mind Singapore is much more expensive than the US so don't fall off your seat!

BMC was USD1,750, with stock (Aksium) wheels and full Ultegra. I got the ES wheels, carbon seatpost, compact crank and the Toupe saddle which put the cost up a lot. I posted this on the "How was your Sunday ride?" thread:

100km ride on new BMC Streetfire. Bought this as a bike to travel with (I hate to say beater bike about a BMC ), my main bike is a Trek 2006 5200 OCLV and it was getting beaten up. I also got a set of mavic ESs

First ride on Mavic ESs - Like them - they spin free, the irratation of the buzz makes me pedal and not coast. They look too blingy to me, should have got the SLs

First ride on a aluminium road bike - Carbon seat post and Toupe seemed to even things out a little, certainly not as plush as my OCLV. Not unbearable though

First proper ride on a compact frame - didn't notice a real difference except standover

First proper ride on a compact crank - need to get me a 12 -27 on the rear. More shifting then with my triple, will take a little time to get used to it I guess

p.s. for the record - red bikes are faster

picked up the wrong (niece's) iPod on the way out of the door and found that "I wanna be your Girlfriend" by Avril whoever is good for climbing
Old 09-05-07, 09:12 AM

Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix TDF,2008 Orbea Orca in Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went from a 2007 Onix TDF to a 2008 Orca... here is the beauty...

Old 09-05-07, 10:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Idioteque

Bear in mind Singapore is much more expensive than the US so don't fall off your seat!

BMC was USD1,750, with stock (Aksium) wheels and full Ultegra. I got the ES wheels, carbon seatpost, compact crank and the Toupe saddle which put the cost up a lot. I posted this on the "How was your Sunday ride?" thread:

100km ride on new BMC Streetfire. Bought this as a bike to travel with (I hate to say beater bike about a BMC ), my main bike is a Trek 2006 5200 OCLV and it was getting beaten up. I also got a set of mavic ESs

First ride on Mavic ESs - Like them - they spin free, the irratation of the buzz makes me pedal and not coast. They look too blingy to me, should have got the SLs

First ride on a aluminium road bike - Carbon seat post and Toupe seemed to even things out a little, certainly not as plush as my OCLV. Not unbearable though

First proper ride on a compact frame - didn't notice a real difference except standover

First proper ride on a compact crank - need to get me a 12 -27 on the rear. More shifting then with my triple, will take a little time to get used to it I guess

p.s. for the record - red bikes are faster

picked up the wrong (niece's) iPod on the way out of the door and found that "I wanna be your Girlfriend" by Avril whoever is good for climbing
Ah, that's not a bad price at all . I am eventually looking to purchase a BMC frame, quite simply because i love their look : ( ... It's blingy yet classy. Time to save up..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.