Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Air compressor specs for tubeless tire installation?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Air compressor specs for tubeless tire installation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-20, 07:02 PM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Fundamental distinction there in our perspectives: to me, the compressor is a tool, to you it is toy.
All my tools are toys to me.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 12-28-20, 07:12 PM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
All my tools are toys to me.
Touché.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-28-20, 07:22 PM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Interesting interpretation, but not surprisingly at this point, I disagree with your assessment, and I think the Enve statements do contradict your perspective. Nowhere do they say to wrap multiple layers or continue to wrap to overcome fit problems. Nowhere do they say that tape is a functional part of the bead/rim interface. Further, they clearly state the importance of tight production tolerances, so it's ridiculous to think that mounding tape to unknown tolerances would make any sense.
They don't go into the subject of taping at all in THAT article, though if you look at their instructions in the link I provided, you can see them taping them from wall to wall. Again, they do not share your view that tape is a kludge or that it interferes with the bead seat.

You are right, they do not go into what to do if the fit is loose. They assume it is NOT lose. They are assuming it is a proper fit. And if it IS a proper fit, you would not need to add additional layers of tape OR do what you are talking about. So what is their recommended solution to tires that do not fit tightly? Don't use them, as they are dangerous. They even give a list of tires that are OK to use to avoid this problem.

In fact, they even show what happens if you DO manage to mount one that is fitting loosely: it blows off. So the takeaway from that (for me) is just because you CAN get it mounted with enough air, does not mean you should.

Look, I've taken this as far as I care to. I did not intend to start an argument, I was just trying to help, and it is coming from experience. I've have 2 friends with a tubeless wheel that kept burping or losing air, and in both cases, it took a compressor to re-seat them. In one case the rim was just taped over the holes, so we retaped up to the walls. In the other, we just used thicker tape. We re-taped them, I was able to seat with a floor pump, and the problem was solved.

Last edited by Kapusta; 12-28-20 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-28-20, 07:35 PM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
They don't go into the subject of taping at all in THAT article, though if you look at their instructions in the link I provided, you can see them taping them from wall to wall. Again, they do not share your view that tape is a kludge or that it interferes with the bead seat.

You are right, they do not go into what to do if the fit is loose. They assume it is NOT lose. They are assuming it is a proper fit. And if it IS a proper fit, you would not need to add additional layers of tape OR do what you are talking about. So what is their recommended solution to tires that do not fit tightly? Don't use them, as they are dangerous. They even give a list of tires that are OK to use to avoid this problem.

In fact, they even show what happens if you DO manage to mount one that is fitting loosely: it blows off. So the takeaway from that is just because you CAN get it mounted with enough air, does not mean you should.
Again, I disagree with your assessment. Nowhere do they indicate or imply that tape is part of proper fit. The fit issue is between the tire bead and the rim. Tape is not intended to remediate what Enve identifies as bead seat diameter mismatch.

You're further assuming that a loose fitting tire prior to seating, while the bead is still in the middle of the rim, is synonomous with a bead seat diameter mismatch. I haven't seen anything to indicate that is true, and do not believe that is necessarily true.

I don't dispute that piling on tape can remedy insufficient air volume for installation. I dispute that piling on tape is better than having sufficient air volume for installation.
Old 12-28-20, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Tape should be wide enough to cover the bead seat and go under the tyre bead. Some recommend more than one wrap for high pressure applications like a road bike tyre.
Old 12-29-20, 06:43 AM

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Dayuum.
Old 01-01-21, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
I've found this technique from YouTube eliminates the need for and air compressor or large volume pump. YMMV:

Last edited by alandmor; 01-01-21 at 01:09 PM. Reason: improve
Likes For alandmor:
Old 01-04-21, 01:03 PM

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by alandmor
I've found this technique from YouTube eliminates the need for and air compressor or large volume pump. YMMV:
I didn't really understand why he only seated the tire on half the circumference only. They used a 2" tire, those aren't really problematic. And some tires work better with some rims. but sometimes you don't get a good seal (soap water helps to let the tire move on the rim). I like to see the video where someone only uses a floor pump but with a less than perfect tire-rim combo and a fat tire on a 80mm rim. For that you really want a compressor. Not saying you 100% need one, but you want one.

I never put the sealant in before since that likely creates a mess if you are a little bit noob. I pump it up without sealant. The tire will lose air over an hour without sealant, but that is fine. Then remove the valve core again and inject sealant, pump up again and roll the tire around till the sealant sealed all remaining leaks around the bead.
Old 01-04-21, 06:33 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Seems like "any compressor will do" is as specific of an answer as anyone has ever gotten.

Honestly, don't over think this. You can buy a 3 phase industrial compressor with nuclear grade fittings if you want. Or you can buy that floor pump dsbrantrj listed.
This is actually the correct answer. I've got a Bontrager Flashcharger TLR and used it to seat both road tubeless and converted mountain bike tires. It works consistently with standard tubing and fittings.
The charge pump has probably a 1L volume and I pump it to 70+ psi, and things seal consistently. If it didn't seat it's because I probably screwed up. A higher volume compressor might work marginally better, but that's really just brute force at that point. So basically any compressor with storage tank should work. A basic automotive tire inflator probably won't work.
Old 01-05-21, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
I also was thinking about getting a compressor for my new bike with tubeless tires. But then I tried CO2 cartridges and they worked wonderfully. 16 g ones were enough to sit Hutchinson Sector 32 and Continental GP 5000 32. Initial blast was enough so that I was able to finish the process by getting to the max pressure with a floor pump.