Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Peugeot PX10 !

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Peugeot PX10 !

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-12, 04:52 PM

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10; '74 Raleigh International; '87 Specialized RockHopper; '88 Specialized StumpJumper; '02 Cannondale Scalpel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Peugeot PX-10 particulars

Three new images:

(1) The first is the manner that Peugeot, or the frame maker, attached the I.D. number-plate to the bottom of the crank/ bottom bracket. Notice two rivets and then the 7 digits punched onto a polished aluminum plate. This is correct and original. This is what you want to look for when considering the purchase of such a bike.

(2) The second image shows the chain stays, and vicinity. The seat and chain stays both are tapered. Then, the chain stays have 3 dimples: two of them longer opposing dimples which would accomodate a wider tire, and then the third shorter dimple next to the chain wheel. This allows the chainrings to fit close to the chain stay, I doubt that it would accomodate a third chain ring- just not enough room there.

Components are: StrongLight crank, StrongLight 52 & 45 tooth chain rings, Lyotard pedals, AFA Christophe toe clips, Lupize white straps, and Simplex front derailleur.

(3) The third image shows the lugs at the head tube. Note how the lugs are different from the 1971 PX-10's shown earlier in this thread. Much less ornate, more simply designed.
The front lugs did come painted black, original paint shown.

The top tube has those three chrome rings that hold the rear brake sheathing. They are marked "SI", and have a tiny chromed bolt and nut to tighten them down.

The numerous times I have had to shoulder-carry this bike after a flat or wreck, those little chrome bolts dug into my shoulder. You kinda want to balance the bike between the rings, when forced to carry it.

The shifter levers are original black coated vinyl-like Simplex, have tiny tightening wing nuts on the outside.

You can barely see a 'tire saver' attached to the brake caliper rear nut. Those things cost me $1.50/ each- now they are 2 for $20. They 'sing' ever so slightly, disturbing dogs behind fences and on leashes- but they save your tubular tires by knocking out glass, sharp debris.
I wouldn't ride without them on tubulars.

I just mounted my new Reynolds 531 decals (all 3 of them) kindly provided by Cyclomondo in Australia. They look fantastic, are just like the French language originals, just a tad larger.
More pictures soon.
Thanks for looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
015.jpg (93.0 KB, 645 views)
001.jpg (98.9 KB, 640 views)
007.jpg (97.7 KB, 640 views)
Old 08-08-12, 04:56 PM

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10; '74 Raleigh International; '87 Specialized RockHopper; '88 Specialized StumpJumper; '02 Cannondale Scalpel

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Peugeot PX-10: The Decals

All the PX-10 decals were either in good shape (seat tube), or repairable with a bit of touch-up paint and a fine brush (head tube and down tube).

The three Reynolds 531 French language decals, I replaced with new matching decals, from Cyclomondo in Australia (Thank You, Greg- they are excellent).

The Seat Tube Decals:

The INOXYDABLE, which you all probably know, refers to the special stainless chemical treatment of the 531 steel. Probably, this was good for some years- but after 44 years my chromed forks and stays are showing some rust spots.

'Garanti Construit Avec Reynolds 531 Tubes Renforces Fourreaux De Fourche Et Arrieres'
'Fabrication Reynolds Tube Co., LTD. Birmingham, Angleterre'
That's pretty clear, Right?

Then, the really pretty decals of the checkered flag and the colored rings.
The Peugeot Lion with script: 'Peugeot' and 'Made in France'.
Also, 'Record du Monde' script.

The Downtube:

On the downtube, the gold and black decoration, over the white 'Peugeot', of the frame, lettering. This is repeated on the other side.

The Headtube:

And, on the headtube, the 'PEUGEOT' lettering again under another gold lion.

The Forks:

The forks have the two triangular Reynolds 531 decals, one on each side:
'Fabrication Reynolds Tube Co. LTD. Birmingham, Angleterre Fourreaux' (FORKS).

So, we are reminded four times that we are looking at a Peugeot, and told three times that Reynolds 531 tubes are used.
Attached Images
017.jpg (98.0 KB, 605 views)
016.jpg (96.4 KB, 605 views)
011.jpg (99.2 KB, 607 views)
008.jpg (95.6 KB, 605 views)
002.jpg (94.5 KB, 604 views)
004.jpg (92.7 KB, 612 views)

Last edited by Peugeotlover; 08-08-12 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-08-12, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Peugeotlover

All the PX-10 decals were either in good shape (seat tube), or repairable with a bit of touch-up paint and a fine brush (head tube and down tube).

The three Reynolds 531 French language decals, I replaced with new matching decals, from Cyclomondo in Australia (Thank You, Greg- they are excellent).

The Seat Tube Decals:

The INOXYDABLE, which you all probably know, refers to the special stainless chemical treatment of the 531 steel. Probably, this was good for some years- but after 44 years my chromed forks and stays are showing some rust spots.

'Garanti Construit Avec Reynolds 531 Tubes Renforces Fourreaux De Fourche Et Arrieres'
'Fabrication Reynolds Tube Co., LTD. Birmingham, Angleterre'
That's pretty clear, Right?

Then, the really pretty decals of the checkered flag and the colored rings.
The Peugeot Lion with script: 'Peugeot' and 'Made in France'.
Also, 'Record du Monde' script.

The Downtube:

On the downtube, the gold and black decoration, over the white 'Peugeot', of the frame, lettering. This is repeated on the other side.

The Headtube:

And, on the headtube, the 'PEUGEOT' lettering again under another gold lion.

The Forks:

The forks have the two triangular Reynolds 531 decals, one on each side:
'Fabrication Reynolds Tube Co. LTD. Birmingham, Angleterre Fourreaux' (FORKS).

So, we are reminded four times that we are looking at a Peugeot, and told three times that Reynolds 531 tubes are used.
Thank you for showing us this beautiful bike from a different era.
Old 08-08-12, 07:30 PM

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26457 Post(s)
Liked 10,418 Times in 7,233 Posts
For ftwelder........but the rest of you guys can look, too

Not a bike, just a frame:

The last photo is where the stays have been slightly squeezed by a
kickstand, somewhere in the distant past.
Attached Images
peugeot frame 001.jpg (100.1 KB, 607 views)
peugeot frame 002.jpg (96.0 KB, 604 views)
peugeot frame 003.jpg (82.3 KB, 600 views)
peugeot frame 004.jpg (94.3 KB, 601 views)
peugeot frame 005.jpg (69.3 KB, 605 views)
peugeot frame 006.jpg (54.6 KB, 603 views)
Old 08-08-12, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Peugeotlover:

They don't all have that tag on the bottom bracket. Mine never had one. I'm the original owner.

All that's required for a third chain ring is a longer bottom bracket spindle, just like any other bike. My '74 has a triple on it.

The inoxydable coating is not under the chrome so it does nothing to prevent rust there.

You bike has one fork.
Old 08-09-12, 03:42 AM

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
Not a bike, just a frame:

The last photo is where the stays have been slightly squeezed by a
kickstand, somewhere in the distant past.

I like it! It's like all my bikes USED!
Old 08-09-12, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
This is a current photo of my Peugeot PX-10, which I purchased new in 1968.
beautiful PX10 and nice restauration, Peugeotlover! But are you sure about 1968?!

According to everything I know and read, this bike shows many characteristics of an early 70s PX10: Headbagde (this type starting around 1970 or 1971), plain lugs, riveted 7-digit aluminium BB plate, "Peugeot" downtube lettering (starting around 1970). Normally my best guess for your PX would be ca. 1972...
Old 08-09-12, 06:34 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7359 Post(s)
Liked 2,497 Times in 1,449 Posts
Peugeotlover, can we see close-ups of the crank and derailleurs?

Grand Bois, they use the plural form in Britain. Perhaps we could look at a fork blade as a fork and the two sides of the tip as the tines.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-09-12, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by noglider

Grand Bois, they use the plural form in Britain. Perhaps we could look at a fork blade as a fork and the two sides of the tip as the tines.
It's just a common Stronglight 93 and plastic Simplex derailers. What interests me is the stem. I haven't seen one like that on a PX10. Is it a Belleri?

When they go to buy one, do they ask for a forks?
Old 08-09-12, 08:27 AM

Bikes: 1949 Raleigh Sports (keeping original), 1946 Raleigh Sports (too tatty, will be updated)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope, a pair of forks. I guess it's a bit daft, but then so is a pair of jeans. That's why in most languages, "jeans" is a singular word.
Old 08-09-12, 08:35 AM

I guess it's the same as scissors. Some say "a pair of scissors" others say "a scissors".
Old 08-09-12, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful bikes! I'll show you a picture of my turquoise '77 PX10 - as soon as I'm able to upload pictures... ;-)
Old 08-11-12, 03:43 PM

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Stem

These two photos show either side of the 3ttt stem that is non-original. The bar (bars) are non-original also, nice Cinelli equipment. Both from Italy.

I was riding down a mountain backroad off Highway 1 in Big Sur, CA where I used to work. A local known drunk was driving his vehicle up the other side of that same mountain curve. When we meet up, he was on my side of the road. I could have hit him head on, or gone over the edge. I went over the edge. This destroyed the original bars and stem, also the original seat post, and the original rear wheel Mavic rim. My leg was quite red and skinless, too. The drunk didn't stop, never saw him again.

When Todd at Aquarian bike in Monterey repaired my damaged bike, he said that the original bars and stem were known for their weakness, and I was much better off with the Italian pieces. Of course, he was right. Something good came out of the crash.
Attached Images
004.jpg (95.3 KB, 306 views)
005.jpg (97.3 KB, 305 views)
Old 08-11-12, 04:03 PM

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
The plastic pieces.

Okay, all the plastic fragile bits:

(1) the rear derailleur (Simplex, new original stock);
(2) the two cable guides (original, how can they get damaged in that protected crotch);
(3) the rear portion of the front derailleur (Simplex, new original stock- actually just the rear black piece shown is new- the original split from tightening the mounting screw too much. The front metal portion is the original equipment);
(4) and, finally, that rarest of black plastic parts- the wingnut.
If any body can source a 2nd wingnut, let me know, please- the rear one disappeared.
Attached Images
013.jpg (99.1 KB, 332 views)
011.jpg (97.6 KB, 325 views)
009.jpg (98.2 KB, 327 views)
014.jpg (97.4 KB, 329 views)

Last edited by Peugeotlover; 08-11-12 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-11-12, 04:37 PM

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by qd-s
beautiful PX10 and nice restauration, Peugeotlover! But are you sure about 1968?!

According to everything I know and read, this bike shows many characteristics of an early 70s PX10: Headbagde (this type starting around 1970 or 1971), plain lugs, riveted 7-digit aluminium BB plate, "Peugeot" downtube lettering (starting around 1970). Normally my best guess for your PX would be ca. 1972...
You may be correct- I really have been struggling with recalling events versus dates.
It may be a 1972. I remember celebrating the bike purchase and assembly (bike arrived from Bicycle Club of America in the same box as it left the Peugeot factory) with a bottle of Mateus and I wasn't of drinking age until 1972. But then, why all these years did I remember 1968...?
Old 08-11-12, 04:41 PM

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ftwelder
Nice work! I am still waiting to find on in my size. I have a full group with Peugeot "trophy" wheels, Stronglight cranks, steel Simplex post and all the plastic goodies. I am just waiting for a frame with a 57-58 top tube.

It's really cool that you are the original owner. More pics would be cool if you have them.
ftwelder, thanks for your reply. It is you that inspired me to post the plastic parts photos. Good luck with finding the correct frame size.
Old 08-11-12, 04:44 PM

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by don compton
Thank you for showing us this beautiful bike from a different era.
Don, thank you for the nice complement. It is a beautiful racer- it loves to go fassst; it is so lightweight.
Old 08-11-12, 04:49 PM

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
Peugeotlover:

They don't all have that tag on the bottom bracket. Mine never had one. I'm the original owner.

All that's required for a third chain ring is a longer bottom bracket spindle, just like any other bike. My '74 has a triple on it.

The inoxydable coating is not under the chrome so it does nothing to prevent rust there.

You bike has one fork.
Thanks for this information correction. I thought they would all have that Serial Number tag.
The inoxydable means stainless steel.
Fork vs forks, even the French say forks. Bar versus bars, there is only one piece, but pros say bars.
Old 08-11-12, 04:59 PM

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Here is a photo of the crank/ringgear. Is that what you wanted?

The derailleurs are shown a few posts above (plastic pieces), so I won't repeat those photos.
THANKS TO ALL WHO REPLIED! I am surprised at the interest in these antique bikes. And pleased I have one.

I took it out for a ride the other evening, since gluing on a new Servizio Corse tubular (thanks Andy @ Yellow Jersey). The bike is so obviously a racer when you get on it. It just wants to go, and go fast it does.
A true thoroughbred.
Attached Images
008.jpg (97.3 KB, 588 views)

Last edited by Peugeotlover; 08-11-12 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-12-12, 07:54 AM

Inoxydable also means rust-resisting. There is no stainless steel in or on that frame.

Peugeot used a very tough clearcoat over their chrome which gives it protection from rust. I don't know what it is, but I can say from experience that it's difficult to remove, even with paint stripper.

I just looked and my PA10 does have the tag on the bottom bracket shell, so the tag obviously doesn't prove it's a PX10.
Old 08-12-12, 09:11 AM

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Original Tool Kit; Maintenance Tools; Original Freewheel; Touch-up Paint.

Original Tools:
The Peugeot PX-10 came with a Mafac tool bag and the 4 wrench tools shown. Also included was the Velox tire repair box, and a tire pump.
AT BOTTOM PHOTO.

The ends of three of the tools are tire irons, universal tools as the PX-10 had tubular tires; a Velox tubular tire repair kit ('fil de lin' is what the sew-up thread is called); and, a tire air pump.

Unfortunately, the pump had no attachment points to the bike frame.
Mine got left behind. Shown is the head for the Presta valve pump.

Collected Tools:
A complete set of tools is something I collected over the years. In the attached photo you can find a crank bolt removal tool, necessary to repack the bottom bracket with grease, and then replace the crank bolt.

A gear cluster/ freewheel removal tool. You lock the little cylindrical tool in a vise, then hold the rear wheel over the tool and then turn the wheel by the rim, for mechanical advantage.

Cone wrenches: necessary to repack and adjust the wheel hubs.

A chain rivet removal tool to get the chain off for restoration.

And, of course, an ancient spoke wrench. And, an allen key tool.

Original Freewheel Cluster:
Shown is the original rear Normandy hub with the original freewheel: a Cyclo Competition, Made in France. Cogs are 14/15/17/19/21- very close ratio!
Unfortunately, this came off the bike after the big crash. I haven't been able to separate the freewheel from the hub, because the spokes and rim are cutoff.

Touch-up Paint, (HighlyRecommended):
And some good old modelling Testors paint- ideally suited for touch-up work to your old, badly chipped, scratched, beaten up Reynolds 531 double-butted Peugeot frame.
Available on-line for $20. (approx.)
Attached Images
002.jpg (99.5 KB, 313 views)
004.jpg (101.6 KB, 598 views)
003.jpg (89.9 KB, 593 views)
005.jpg (98.8 KB, 592 views)

Last edited by Peugeotlover; 08-12-12 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-12-12, 09:25 AM

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
Inoxydable also means rust-resisting. There is no stainless steel in or on that frame.

Peugeot used a very tough clearcoat over their chrome which gives it protection from rust. I don't know what it is, but I can say from experience that it's difficult to remove, even with paint stripper.

This makes a lot more sense, then the direct translation (stainless steel)- a tough clear coat. A tough clear coat worn away in spots, allowing tiny spots of rust to form. Thanks, Grand Bois.
Old 09-15-12, 05:02 PM

Friends, I finally finished (well almost, details below) my PX-10. I had been collecting parts for a long time. I actually bought two PX-10's during the "build up" so I would have enough parts to complete the bike. I was lucky to get a bike that was custom-built by Peugeot as part of they "trophy team" program. Unfortunately, the frame didn't fit.

I have been pretty lucky finding bikes ( I think anyways) 'specially when I focus. I figured if I put a little money aside and kept my eyes open it would all fall into place. These bikes are common..

It took a couple of years and a good deal from a BF member at a critical moment with the PERFECT sized to make the whole thing come together. I absolutely love the way it rides. It's different than a smaller frame.

Oh, the detail I forgot (perhaps you will notice others?) was the freewheel. I didn't have an Atom on the shelf an didn't find one till today. The change to aluminum lever housings was so I wouldn't bust the plastic ones. Please enjoy.

29 293 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

29 254 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

29 255 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

29 256 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

29 257 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

29 259 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

29 261 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

29 265 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr
Old 09-15-12, 05:05 PM

29 283 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

29 289 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

29 253 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr
Old 09-15-12, 05:06 PM

Original Tools:
The Peugeot PX-10 came with a Mafac tool bag and the 4 wrench tools shown. Also included was the Velox tire repair box, and a tire pump.
AT BOTTOM PHOTO.

The ends of three of the tools are tire irons, universal tools as the PX-10 had tubular tires; a Velox tubular tire repair kit ('fil de lin' is what the sew-up thread is called); and, a tire air pump.

Unfortunately, the pump had no attachment points to the bike frame.
Mine got left behind. Shown is the head for the Presta valve pump.

Collected Tools:
A complete set of tools is something I collected over the years. In the attached photo you can find a crank bolt removal tool, necessary to repack the bottom bracket with grease, and then replace the crank bolt.

A gear cluster/ freewheel removal tool. You lock the little cylindrical tool in a vise, then hold the rear wheel over the tool and then turn the wheel by the rim, for mechanical advantage.

Cone wrenches: necessary to repack and adjust the wheel hubs.

A chain rivet removal tool to get the chain off for restoration.

And, of course, an ancient spoke wrench. And, an allen key tool.

Original Freewheel Cluster:
Shown is the original rear Normandy hub with the original freewheel: a Cyclo Competition, Made in France. Cogs are 14/15/17/19/21- very close ratio!
Unfortunately, this came off the bike after the big crash. I haven't been able to separate the freewheel from the hub, because the spokes and rim are cutoff.

Touch-up Paint, (HighlyRecommended):
And some good old modelling Testors paint- ideally suited for touch-up work to your old, badly chipped, scratched, beaten up Reynolds 531 double-butted Peugeot frame.
Available on-line for $20. (approx.)

I have the tool kit!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.