Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-21, 06:02 AM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22686 Post(s)
Liked 9,018 Times in 4,199 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Did my first group ride on Zwift, part of Tour de Zwift. I watched the lead group coalesce and disappear. Then I stuck with the second group for most of the first lap before getting shelled. Then I found a group of about 6 riders and we stuck together through the rest of Lap1 and all of Lap 2. I did take some pulls, so as not to be a complete dick.

In some ways it was like a group ride - surge, spin, surge, spin, try to pay attention to the group, not the guy right ahead of you so you don't end up having to catch back on - which I had to do several times. IRL, of course, it's a LOT Easier to adjust your speed, either to stay with the group or to catch up then slowly 'reattach' yourself to the group. On Zwift, I'd overshoot and end up in front - the LAST place you want to be when you've just had to catch up! - and if I softpedaled like you would IRL, I'd find myself sliding backwards through the group. Even skipping a single pedal stroke was sometimes too much rest!

But overall, it was fun, and the best part for an introvert like me was not having to make small talk....
Kudos. Agree that the game over-estimates your momentum when catching a group, and also overestimates the slowing effects of soft-pedaling. Accept this as a game with its own rules/quirks and you can enjoy it more.

We sometimes chat on group rides which makes it more social.
Likes For datlas:
Old 01-09-21, 06:04 AM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Remember when Big Weather teased us with this?

"warm" SMH.

Current pics are of the dreaded polar vortex. Feels like a classic bait and switch scheme.
Likes For datlas:
Old 01-09-21, 06:08 AM
Should Be More Popular

Since I saw that recent Simpsons biker bar sequence, now I want to get a “Sons of Shimano” jersey.
Old 01-09-21, 06:19 AM
Should Be More Popular

Slow morning. Everyone must be layering up for a cold ride.
Likes For datlas:
Old 01-09-21, 06:44 AM
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Did my first group ride on Zwift, part of Tour de Zwift. I watched the lead group coalesce and disappear. Then I stuck with the second group for most of the first lap before getting shelled. Then I found a group of about 6 riders and we stuck together through the rest of Lap1 and all of Lap 2. I did take some pulls, so as not to be a complete dick.

In some ways it was like a group ride - surge, spin, surge, spin, try to pay attention to the group, not the guy right ahead of you so you don't end up having to catch back on - which I had to do several times. IRL, of course, it's a LOT Easier to adjust your speed, either to stay with the group or to catch up then slowly 'reattach' yourself to the group. On Zwift, I'd overshoot and end up in front - the LAST place you want to be when you've just had to catch up! - and if I softpedaled like you would IRL, I'd find myself sliding backwards through the group. Even skipping a single pedal stroke was sometimes too much rest!

But overall, it was fun, and the best part for an introvert like me was not having to make small talk....
The thing is, like my buddies all have speech to text set up on thier messaging . So they just chat away. My lap top won't do text so I can't join in. I'm kinda thankful, let's me breath.
Likes For ls01:
Old 01-09-21, 06:50 AM
he said member

Originally Posted by abshipp
Well that was interesting. I didn't quite understand what I really needed to do until the rest period before the second test interval. The first interval I think was a little underworked.

Oh well, that just means that even without even having to put in any work, just doing the test better should bump my number up

Although I guess that just means that future workouts will get harder, too

How easy,, hard was it to hit and hold the instructed wattage?? I was all over the place seemed really sensitive.

I did one yesterday as well. Not really sure what to do with it.
Old 01-09-21, 06:53 AM
he said member

Originally Posted by datlas
Hell no! Its way too cold for that. Ill be rollin fake miles at some point..
My legs are fried from the ftp test yesterday.
Old 01-09-21, 07:02 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10995 Post(s)
Liked 4,670 Times in 2,146 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Still weighing my options. May ride later or may hit the trainer... haven't decided.

Old 01-09-21, 07:04 AM
Should Be More Popular

Bundling up and heading out.
Old 01-09-21, 07:05 AM

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Alas, fake mileagery for me too. 28F is a bit too cold for me.
Old 01-09-21, 07:05 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Well that was interesting. I didn't quite understand what I really needed to do until the rest period before the second test interval. The first interval I think was a little underworked.

Oh well, that just means that even without even having to put in any work, just doing the test better should bump my number up

This is an exceedingly common experience with the more traditional, interval-based FTP tests. I would usually recommend taking a second test a week later or so, but I fully understand the reluctance to do so. This also makes me wonder if ramp tests have an advantage for a first time user.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-09-21, 07:08 AM
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28754 Post(s)
Liked 1,876 Times in 1,332 Posts
Another cold gray day. #EndlessWinter
Old 01-09-21, 07:14 AM

I'd like to get out for a ride today, but I'm going to let it warm up to 20° or so, so maybe after lunch. Then again, I've got stuff to do, so maybe I'll just do penance on the trainer and get on with the day... decision after more coffee.
Old 01-09-21, 07:18 AM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10210 Post(s)
Liked 5,913 Times in 3,188 Posts

Don’t sweat the tests!

You won’t get an accurate estimate until you have a solid database of rides and populate a table of power readings over various intervals from 3 min to 1 hr. Then you can apply algorithms which look at more than one parameter and generate a physiological meaningful power curve. 20 min power is just a point on that curve.

I did this inadvertently by riding weekly TTs and short group rides this summer.

Intervals.icu is a fantastic tool and free, but if you like it, be sure to subscribe.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-09-21, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Intervals.icu is a fantastic tool and free, but if you like it, be sure to subscribe.
Done and done - thanks for the reminder. I'd been meaning to do that, but haven't really looked at it much in the last couple months with my... lowered activity. Compared to a premium Strava membership, intervals provides much better info. Hell, I might even let my paid Strava membership lapse when the calendar rolls around.
Old 01-09-21, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Quoted: 11996 Post(s)
Liked 6,730 Times in 3,515 Posts
Another cold day. #EndlessWinter
Good.
Old 01-09-21, 07:54 AM

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 1,257 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
How easy,, hard was it to hit and hold the instructed wattage?? I was all over the place seemed really sensitive.

I did one yesterday as well. Not really sure what to do with it.
It wasn't too bad to hold the instructed power once I found a gear and cadence that worked. A few times I got lucky that the tempo of the song I was listening to matched the cadence I needed to hold. If I tried to hold a higher power level I got a lot more erratic.

I don't have a smart trainer though, just a dumb trainer, a power meter, and a Wahoo head unit. I haven't yet purchased an ANT+ dongle to use with any of the usual training apps.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
This is an exceedingly common experience with the more traditional, interval-based FTP tests. I would usually recommend taking a second test a week later or so, but I fully understand the reluctance to do so. This also makes me wonder if ramp tests have an advantage for a first time user.
A big reason I think that I underworked it is that it really wasn't that bad, maybe it was just the novelty that kept me interested but I also wasn't totally wrecked at the end. I thought about trying to create a workout I could push to my Bolt that would mimic a ramp test, but never really got too far in figuring that out.

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Don’t sweat the tests!

You won’t get an accurate estimate until you have a solid database of rides and populate a table of power readings over various intervals from 3 min to 1 hr. Then you can apply algorithms which look at more than one parameter and generate a physiological meaningful power curve. 20 min power is just a point on that curve.

I did this inadvertently by riding weekly TTs and short group rides this summer.

Thanks for the tips For right now, I've only got one bike with a power meter and it's one that I don't ride outside in the winter, so I can't really get any data through my normal rides (which are more or less nonexistent ATM). I figured I needed some kind of number to base trainer workouts around and was pretty clueless about what that would be.

I'll look in to Intervals, is it something that would be useful for indoor workouts or is it really for outdoor ride analysis?
Old 01-09-21, 07:54 AM
• —

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Done and done - thanks for the reminder. I'd been meaning to do that, but haven't really looked at it much in the last couple months with my... lowered activity. Compared to a premium Strava membership, intervals provides much better info. Hell, I might even let my paid Strava membership lapse when the calendar rolls around.
David, who is amazingly responsive anyway, prioritizes feature requests and questions from subscribers, too. Very, very different from corporate Strava.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-09-21, 07:56 AM
• —

It wasn't too bad to hold the instructed power once I found a gear and cadence that worked. A few times I got lucky that the tempo of the song I was listening to matched the cadence I needed to hold. If I tried to hold a higher power level I got a lot more erratic.

I don't have a smart trainer though, just a dumb trainer, a power meter, and a Wahoo head unit. I haven't yet purchased an ANT+ dongle to use with any of the usual training apps.

A big reason I think that I underworked it is that it really wasn't that bad, maybe it was just the novelty that kept me interested but I also wasn't totally wrecked at the end. I thought about trying to create a workout I could push to my Bolt that would mimic a ramp test, but never really got too far in figuring that out.

Thanks for the tips For right now, I've only got one bike with a power meter and it's one that I don't ride outside in the winter, so I can't really get any data through my normal rides. I figured I needed some kind of number to base trainer workouts around and was pretty clueless about what that would be.

I'll look in to Intervals, is it something that would be useful for indoor workouts or is it really for outdoor ride analysis?
Perfect for indoor with power. You can set up indoor and outdoor FTPs and it will scale your zone and load parameters automatically. Without power, and again only when you’ve built up a database or rides with power and HR, the app will construct a regression model and give you an estimated load for HR-only rides, based on time in HR zone.

I neglected to stress that you need massively motivated, balls-to-the-wall, rides to get good data. I can do a few intervals on my own, but the long durations require at least informal competition. Group rides and races in Zwift are pretty good for that.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 01-09-21 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-09-21, 07:58 AM
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13758 Post(s)
Liked 4,551 Times in 2,524 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06

Woohoo, boat finally made it to America!
You bought a boat?
Old 01-09-21, 08:03 AM
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13758 Post(s)
Liked 4,551 Times in 2,524 Posts
Another cold gray day. #EndlessWinter
Bright and sunny here.
Old 01-09-21, 08:04 AM

Cadence is the way that I manage with my dumb trainer - chasing power is just a pain in the ass. At a given output, I'll feel it out and determine what cadence I need for a given gear combo and then I'll just aim to hold that cadence. There is usually a little bit of drift in the resistance of my fluid trainer (KKRM) as it warms up, but we're talking about 88rpm at the outset, 90rpm when hot. Not a major concern, just something to keep an eye on. Also, you need to be mindful of your shifts as you go in to/out of recovery periods between intervals.

If you're not wrecked, you're doin' it wrong.

Thanks for the tips For right now, I've only got one bike with a power meter and it's one that I don't ride outside in the winter, so I can't really get any data through my normal rides (which are more or less nonexistent ATM). I figured I needed some kind of number to base trainer workouts around and was pretty clueless about what that would be.

It's helpful. Create an account an feel it out. Be sure to follow/allow us to follow you, too.
Old 01-09-21, 08:12 AM
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9659 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
You bought a boat?
Boats are good investments.
Old 01-09-21, 08:22 AM
• —

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Boats are good investments.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-09-21, 08:50 AM

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10250 Post(s)
Liked 5,211 Times in 2,235 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
You bought a boat?
No silly. I assumed my wheels were on a boat from china though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.