Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction L8

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction L8

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-16, 12:28 PM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by topslop1
I think my 'psychological' hold up on that approach is that I 'feel' that you're not guaranteed anything with a return on your investment, and while you may do alright with an index fund, market crashes and all the wonky b.s. that the gov and manipulative banks are doing to the markets I semi 'don't trust' a steady incline. On the other hand I feel as though 'no matter what' there will be that glooming X dollar owed figure above that is guaranteed interest against me.

I'd so much as say that my own reasoning is heavily flawed here, and I'm going to have to break out of the 'feels zone' and into the logic zone of doing what you're saying.. in my heart of hearts I think your game plan is wiser.
You cannot imagine how much money was "not made" by all the folks who refused to reenter the stock market after the decline of 2007-9. Just stubborn refusal to accept facts at face value. The one thing that can be counted on is that well diversified equity investments will be worth more later than they are now, a lot more.The funny thing is that you don't even have to be good at timing the market. For a youngster just starting out, you can do incredibly well just letting your investments ride through the good and the bad, probably better than trying to time the market. Time for investments to grow is one of the most precious gifts that youth gives to us. When it is gone, it is gone, and it never comes back. Growing money fast is awfully harder than growing it slowly.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-17-16, 12:28 PM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Which bathroom?
Whichever one IT wants.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 05-17-16, 12:29 PM

We have been "kicking butt at it" for quite a while. The obesity epidemic, on the other hand, is relatively recent on the timeline. I am 51. There was no scarcity of environmental resources when I was born in 1965. There was also no obesity epidemic. What there wasn't nearly as much of back then were processed foods.
Like Velveeta?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 05-17-16, 12:32 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10993 Post(s)
Liked 4,667 Times in 2,145 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
You cannot imagine how much money was "not made" by all the folks who refused to reenter the stock market after the decline of 2007-9. Just stubborn refusal to accept facts at face value. The one thing that can be counted on is that well diversified equity investments will be worth more later than they are now, a lot more.The funny thing is that you don't even have to be good at timing the market. For a youngster just starting out, you can do incredibly well just letting your investments ride through the good and the bad, probably better than trying to time the market. Time for investments to grow is one of the most precious gifts that youth gives to us. When it is gone, it is gone, and it never comes back. Growing money fast is awfully harder than growing it slowly.
All true.

Old 05-17-16, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18493 Post(s)
Liked 15,790 Times in 7,415 Posts
Like Velveeta?
Stuff like that was a relative rarity. And it's funny you should mention that. One year in elementary school there was a kid in my class whose mother often packed Velveeta in his lunch. He didn't like the stuff, but for whatever reasons never told her. He used to give it to me.
Old 05-17-16, 12:37 PM
Super Modest

Originally Posted by rjones28
You don't need to retire to have a fun part-time job.

#justsaying
True, but it can be detrimental, tax wise. I worked for a consultant for 5 years after retirement and was paid more that when I was working and that was fine. However, income taxes are paid on total adjusted income. If you get a part time job at minimum wage, it gets added on to your retirement income and you pay taxes on the total. That can significantly de-value the value of that part-time job. That's one reason that some do charity work instead of getting a low-paying job.

I did volunteer work at a local hospital pharmacy for a few years. Besides being rewarding work mental-wise, I felt that if I was going to work for nothing, it might as well be work that made a difference.

Anyway, the same is true if you have two jobs. You pay taxes on the combined total so you're paying more tax and working more hours.

A friend of mine got a minimum wage job to supplement his retirement income. The job requires him to drive a half hour each way. He also get there 30' early to have coffee with the boys before he clocks in. Now, he's added an hour and a half to his work day, increased the use and cost of his car and gets to pay more tax.

Lazy and frugal people like me think of these things.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 05-17-16 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-17-16, 12:39 PM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22685 Post(s)
Liked 9,015 Times in 4,196 Posts
So I just saw a patient who is a 50-something woman who has gained 50 pounds over the past 5 years.

She told me her friend went to a natural pharmacy and is taking a "natural" hormone supplement and is losing weight. She wanted me to offer her the same thing. She got very disappointed when I said this is too controversial and if she wants to start taking exogenous hormones she needs to see a gynecologist. She questioned how could this be dangerous or controversial when it's "natural," I did my best to explain to her but clearly she was not satisfied.

Sigh. I did my best.
Old 05-17-16, 12:41 PM
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
You don't need to retire to have a fun part-time job.

#justsaying
The problem is I already have 2 full time jobs what with the husband/father of young kids thing. And the part time job of being a wannabe cyclist. Posing is time consuming.
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
You're a generation behind now, they ditched the V8s in 2014 in favor of 1.6L turbo V6s with hybrid systems. They don't even call them engines any more, they are "power units" composed of parts like the MGU-H and MGU-K. They have crazy amounts of torque, but they sound worse than a Civic with a trashcan tailpipe. It's such a shame because the impression of speed from the old engines dating back to the V12s in the mid 90s is what got me hooked.

I get the feeling that if I didn't know anything about these cars and saw one live today, I'd say "meh" and go back to watching MotoGP.
Oh right. I actually did watch through the beginning of last season but that's when I gave up. So much crap.

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Yes. Sort of. I understand it too. It was just kind of crazy to me that people were arguing that the problem is that we're surrounded by an excess of calories and a sedentary culture. As if that meant that they personally had to eat cupcakes ad libitum just because they were there and that they could not make room in their life for exercise. Some of the arguments were a little more complex than that- for example, the argument was made that exercise is good but that, generally speaking, your metabolism slows as you age (true) and you become more efficient as you exercise & therefore burn slightly less calories (true), so you could never win that game (not true, you can exercise more intensely as you get more fit). The idea that small changes in the right direction (burn more calories plus consume less calories) applied over time could make a pretty big difference was lost on people. It turns out that not only do people want what they want but they also want what they want right NOW.

I get that its not easy for some people- I'm one of them (although it has gotten way easier for me with the number of calories I manage to burn in my workouts). The way I look at it is: we are all born with inherent advantages and disadvantages in life. When the zombie apocalypse comes, I will get by on way less calories and poor @datlas will wither away. My day will come.

But until then, I just have to figure out how to succeed given the constraints under which I operate.

PS The other striking thing that people really concerned themselves with during this conversation is how unfair it all was- skinny people eating pizza while they themselves had a salad for lunch. Why bother trying if life deals you an unfair hand like that? It was again just crazy thinking to me. Why not just decide that you are the lucky one? And who the f cares anyway if its fair or not? Whatever life gives you, just figure it out. Don't wish it was different and then just give up.
Quite true - Don't forget that there's a huge psych part to food eating that a lot of people are tied to. i grew up in a household where we always had to eat friggen everything that was on the plate. Not to mention that the budget plan in the household where I was at was to nix the healthy more expensive foods, and replace with filler foods.. An entire roll of oreos was an acceptable after school snack when I was a pre-teen.

I had to un-learn a lot of things about food, and my association with it.. I'm still unlearning and working on the whole 'character development' as we go.. I was a tri-varsity athlete by high school, college athlete, and only recently did this winter relapse me into eating like an idiot again, so there's definitely room for change and becoming fit no matter what your base line.

Personal relationships I would say that are based around certain consumption habits are major factors too.

It's not really "put down the cupcake" it's examining the.. "why do I have the cupcake in my hand to begin with?" that I think would help people out a heck of a lot more in the weight loss category.
Old 05-17-16, 12:43 PM
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I think my 'psychological' hold up on that approach is that I 'feel' that you're not guaranteed anything with a return on your investment, and while you may do alright with an index fund, market crashes and all the wonky b.s. that the gov and manipulative banks are doing to the markets I semi 'don't trust' a steady incline. On the other hand I feel as though 'no matter what' there will be that glooming X dollar owed figure above that is guaranteed interest against me.

I'd so much as say that my own reasoning is heavily flawed here, and I'm going to have to break out of the 'feels zone' and into the logic zone of doing what you're saying.. in my heart of hearts I think your game plan is wiser.
Trust me. I made a killing by maxout out my 401k (not the matching portion; I maxed out the 15,5 or whatever it was for the year) in 2008. Made a killing, and I was 23. There's nothing you can do that will be likely to do better.
Old 05-17-16, 12:44 PM
Super Modest

Originally Posted by datlas
So I just saw a patient who is a 50-something woman who has gained 50 pounds over the past 5 years.

She told me her friend went to a natural pharmacy and is taking a "natural" hormone supplement and is losing weight. She wanted me to offer her the same thing. She got very disappointed when I said this is too controversial and if she wants to start taking exogenous hormones she needs to see a gynecologist. She questioned how could this be dangerous or controversial when it's "natural," I did my best to explain to her but clearly she was not satisfied.

Sigh. I did my best.
I ride with a retired chiropractor. If you want to hear "natural" supplement nonsense, come ride with us.

Old 05-17-16, 12:46 PM

Time for investments to grow is one of the most precious gifts that youth gives to us. When it is gone, it is gone, and it never comes back. Growing money fast is awfully harder than growing it slowly.
We have a good number of young/younger people at my place of employ. We also have a darn good 401(k) plan. (Last year, before I became eligible to make catch-up contributions, my effective employer match was 25%. I think it's down to 20% now.) During a company meeting a few years ago, the heard of HR and benefits, after seeing the contribution numbers, felt compelled to explain to the younger folks how the earlier you start contributing the more time you will have for that money to grow over the long term. He also felt compelled to explain that if you are not at least contributing the amount up to which the company matches dollar for dollar, you are leaving a good mount of money on the table.

Personally, I started a bit late, but that was because I had about $23K in student loan debt at a whopping 9%. I wanted to pay that off first.
Old 05-17-16, 12:47 PM
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts

PS The other striking thing that people really concerned themselves with during this conversation is how unfair it all was- skinny people eating pizza while they themselves had a salad for lunch. Why bother trying if life deals you an unfair hand like that? It was again just crazy thinking to me. Why not just decide that you are the lucky one? And who the f cares anyway if its fair or not? Whatever life gives you, just figure it out. Don't wish it was different and then just give up.
The general idea that weight and health issues could be unfair is bizarre. You're dealt the genetic cards you'll carry when you are conceived, and you just have to learn how to work with them in the best way for you.

People in my office are almost universally obese. They see me (skinny by American standards, pot-bellied by cycling pro standards) eating a huge bagel for breakfast and moan about how unfair it is that I can do that and still be thin. They don't see me waking up at 5 to do intervals on my stupid trainer.

Last edited by Dan333SP; 05-17-16 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-17-16, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Quoted: 11994 Post(s)
Liked 6,728 Times in 3,514 Posts

Sigh. I did my best.
Not your burden. I blame the school system. And of course, her parents.
Old 05-17-16, 12:51 PM
Super Modest

I've had some highly agitated arguments with this retired chiro lady. You wouldn't believe the arguments that we've had over simple things like sea salt.

Also, she told me one time that we all needed to take magnesium. I happen to be tested for magnesium every 6 months because I tend towards the rare condition of hypermagnesemia. I asked her if she knew her own magnesium levels and she said that it didn't matter. Everyone should take magnesium supplements.

She's retired but still has a considerable supplement business.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 05-17-16 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-17-16, 12:51 PM

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
We have a good number of young/younger people at my place of employ. We also have a darn good 401(k) plan. (Last year, before I became eligible to make catch-up contributions, my effective employer match was 25%. I think it's down to 20% now.) During a company meeting a few years ago, the heard of HR and benefits, after seeing the contribution numbers, felt compelled to explain to the younger folks how the earlier you start contributing the more time you will have for that money to grow over the long term. He also felt compelled to explain that if you are not at least contributing the amount up to which the company matches dollar for dollar, you are leaving a good mount of money on the table.

Personally, I started a bit late, but that was because I had about $23K in student loan debt at a whopping 9%. I wanted to pay that off first.
Are you freaking kidding me? We don't have a 401k here which is why I am leaving this job as soon as possible. The job I'm looking at has matching up to 3% which isn't really.. great by any means. I'd love to get hired by a larger insurance or health care company for their project management back in CT for a year or two and I would 100%: 1. Max out 401k 2. Pay down a lot of student loan 3. Have to also contribute to my personal IRA.

And I feel compelled to do alll of those things and will have the money to do those things with 1. the reduced rent payments, 2. the higher income, and 3. the better 401k choice / opportunity.

Damn, I am behind...but more so I need to expand my chance for new opportunity / employment more so. Hm.
Old 05-17-16, 12:54 PM
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Damn, I am behind...
It's not a race. It's just money.

You can always just do what I did and just marry someone that is far better at managing/planning that kind of stuff, and continue about your merry way while living within a budget.
Old 05-17-16, 12:59 PM

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
It's not a race. It's just money.

You can always just do what I did and just marry someone that is far better at managing/planning that kind of stuff, and continue about your merry way while living within a budget.
Where was that post about how I don't like to be told how to shave, LOL. I'm all out of options !!!! LOL. Looks like I'm going to have to take your advice after all
Old 05-17-16, 12:59 PM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I ride with a retired chiropractor. If you want to hear "natural" supplement nonsense, come ride with us.
No thanks. It's very naive to think that just because something is "natural" or herbal means it's good. Medicines AND supplements both have potential risks and benefits. One must balance them out as best we can.
Old 05-17-16, 01:00 PM
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
She's retired but still has a considerable supplement business.
Honestly, I am very skeptical of anyone who makes money from a supplement they recommend. Too much of a conflict of interest.
Old 05-17-16, 01:03 PM

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Honestly, I am very skeptical of anyone who makes money from a supplement they recommend. Too much of a conflict of interest.
Old family chiropractor was a scam artist. Had a 'foot bath' that he bragged netted him $40k/yr. Turned out, and he admitted this... that it basically did nothing at all and was theatrics.

That's not to say chiropractors aren't good.. you just want one that will physically manipulate you and beat the hell out of you. Anything less is some smoke and mirrors rain dance.
Old 05-17-16, 01:03 PM

Are you freaking kidding me?
I forget what the actual formula is. Something like 100% match for the first 6% of your salary and then a smaller percentage match up to a certain amount after that. When I was contributing the max of $16.5K/year I would get over $4K/year in match. Came out to just under 25%. Being 50+ y.o., the max for me is now $24.5K, so the percentage match has dropped.

Now I am really going to freak you out: We also have a defined benefit plan, commonly referred to as a "pension plan." I can retire at 60 and get a full benefit. I can leave at 55, but it will be reduced for early retirement. The difference between the two amounts is not insignificant, which makes it tough to leave at 55. Health care is other big problem.
Old 05-17-16, 01:06 PM

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I forget what the actual formula is. Something like 100% match for the first 6% of your salary and then a smaller percentage match up to a certain amount after that. When I was contributing the max of $16.5K/year I would get over $4K/year in match. Came out to just under 25%. Being 50+ y.o., the max for me is now $24.5K, so the percentage match has dropped.

Now I am really going to freak you out: We also have a defined benefit plan, commonly referred to as a "pension plan." I can retire at 60 and get a full benefit. I can leave at 55, but it will be reduced for early retirement. The difference between the two amounts is not insignificant, which makes it tough to leave at 55. Health care is other big problem.
That's it.. I'm out looking for a strong tree.. BRB

Kidding, but these posts help me identify what's out there and what's a 'fair' match, etc and for that I appreciate them greatly.
Old 05-17-16, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Quoted: 11994 Post(s)
Liked 6,728 Times in 3,514 Posts

It was a crazy conversation- most people chiming in that they just were not going to make the "sacrifices" it would take to lose weight or maintain that loss. All they could see was giving stuff up (big bowls of pasta) and doing things that were hard (exercise). OMG, I was trying to talk about delicious (raspberries!) and fun (cycling!) but in the end really it boiled down to Americans want what they want. The cost or consequences of what they want is just not part of the equation, this concept simply did not compute at all. The people I was conversing with are not kids, these are middle-aged people. But they just struck me as not really being mature adults.
I'm a healthy eating type person, but I gotta admit, it's a tough sell. People weigh the balance of healthy eating against the convenience of fast food and eating out, and figure if it doesn't kill them right away or make them sick immediately afterward that eating crap must be alright. Look at how many health-conscious, athletic-minded people on this forum regularly eat at Chipotle or Taco Bell. They justify their behavior by noting that they rarely eat at McDonalds or BK.

People will delude themselves and make excuses galore to avoid having to make tough choices. Not just with eating, but in all walks of life people take the easy way out.

Last edited by BillyD; 05-17-16 at 01:14 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.