Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ebay Buyer Unhappy - What Would You Do?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ebay Buyer Unhappy - What Would You Do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-11, 07:45 PM
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 1,222 Times in 699 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
Second, I dug up the Paypal record of the AUCTION and was reminded that the winner paid more for a set of used wheels than he would have for a new set - which are still available in shops.
Amazing how that works. I spent months in college watching auctions for Eb/D trumpet and watching every one sell for more than a brand new one would be (including tax and shipping), and finally just borrowed my school's horn for my senior recital. Bidding does something interesting to people... especially competitive people.
Old 07-04-11, 09:00 PM
dave67

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Where did the wheels set for 4 months?
You are going over and above what needs to be done. I glad to see you stand behind your sales. But I hate to see good people getting taken.

Old 07-04-11, 09:07 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just had a set changed on a rear wheel at a cost of 50$.
Old 07-04-11, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently switched my rear ones. $8 shipped from Neuvation and a couple of $ for a bolt, nuts and washers for a puller/press.
As for the auction, I'd have paid the $12 to have them returned Parcel post. Fair, and not to much damage done.
Old 07-05-11, 06:58 AM
Señor Member

Bikes: 2011 Litespeed M1 (Rival)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UK - my normal refund policy is "no questions asked" within 7 days of receiving product. 14 days for frames. I'll disregard the time limit if the buyer approaches their issue without laying blame or accusing me of cheating them.

I've had maybe 4 or 5 disputes in over a 1000 sales. Only a couple questionable ones. And I worked out every one to the customers satisfaction. I really hate unhappy buyers.
FYI, your return policy means nothing. EBAY and Paypal dictate that your return policy is 45 days. A buyer can simply say the item is Significantly not as Described within those 45 days, and you will be forced to refund.
Old 07-05-11, 12:14 PM

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil85207
Ask him to fax you his deployment papers proving when he got home. That should be easy for him and quick too. If he really was overseas that should prove it.
Being retired military, I tend to recommend this approach. If he has in fact recently returned from a deployment, that could account for the four month delay. If he is being truthful, I'd take them back just on principle -- he's obviously not happy with them. If he does agree to send a copy of his orders, unless you are ex military, you may need to find someone to explain what they are saying. They are fairly cryptic. Perhaps you could take them to a local recruiter. They could probably explain them. Just don't sign anything while you're there.
Old 07-05-11, 01:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of good information here...thank you all for your responses. Here is how I handled it.

First, there is no way I can say with 100% certainty that the bearings were perfect when I shipped the wheels. I can only be 98% certain. Second, I dug up the Paypal record of the AUCTION and was reminded that the winner paid more for a set of used wheels than he would have for a new set - which are still available in shops. Both of these contributed to my willingness to work with the buyer.

I researched the cost of new cartridge bearings for this wheelset, which are relatively inexpensive. The hubs aren't anything unusual in terms of design so I offered to pay for both the bearings and the labor and I requested to pay the shop direct.

His response was one of surprise and gratitude which confirmed for me that he was being honest in the first place.

As for the bearings, the only thing I can think of is that some moisture got in there and the long sit mucked them up.

55/Rad
Above and beyond!!
Old 07-05-11, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Nice job. With all the shady stuff that happens on ebay, this was very cool of you.

Lots of good information here...thank you all for your responses. Here is how I handled it.

First, there is no way I can say with 100% certainty that the bearings were perfect when I shipped the wheels. I can only be 98% certain. Second, I dug up the Paypal record of the AUCTION and was reminded that the winner paid more for a set of used wheels than he would have for a new set - which are still available in shops. Both of these contributed to my willingness to work with the buyer.

I researched the cost of new cartridge bearings for this wheelset, which are relatively inexpensive. The hubs aren't anything unusual in terms of design so I offered to pay for both the bearings and the labor and I requested to pay the shop direct.

His response was one of surprise and gratitude which confirmed for me that he was being honest in the first place.

As for the bearings, the only thing I can think of is that some moisture got in there and the long sit mucked them up.

55/Rad
Old 07-05-11, 01:29 PM
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
Proof once again of why you deserve the respect that you get from so many on this forum (and in real life I would assume), including myself.
This!
Old 07-05-11, 03:50 PM

Bikes: 2012 Moots VaMoots-74 Peugeot Mixtie U018-73 Peugeot U018

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Found out what he wants as compensation for the bearing replacement "Additional information - he's not looking to send the wheels back, at least not yet...just for me to pay to replace the bearings. " and write it off to less aggravation. When refunding through Paypal make a note that the refund is final and that the issue is closed.
Old 07-05-11, 04:03 PM
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 560 Posts

55/Rad
Yup.

Old 07-05-11, 06:49 PM

Bikes: BMC RM01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Amazing how that works. I spent months in college watching auctions for Eb/D trumpet and watching every one sell for more than a brand new one would be (including tax and shipping), and finally just borrowed my school's horn for my senior recital. Bidding does something interesting to people... especially competitive people.
Too true. The only way I use ebay now is to figure out my high bid, enter it in and then close the page with the auction. Check on it after it's over to see if I've won, otherwise I will overpay every time. I can think of better ways to use my competitive streak.
Old 07-05-11, 07:19 PM
The "Mechanic"

Bikes: 2013 Tarmac SL4 Pro; 2011 Lynskey Cooper, 2015 BH Quartz Disc, 2014 Yeti SB75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The buyer should know better to buy a used item on ebay only to check it out 4 months later. Hes either really stupid or hes trying to pull a quick one on you after using the wheels for 4 months. Ask for a copy of his orders and if you dont get what your looking at, email me a copy and I can verify for you. If it were me, Id say he just lost his window of opportunity for inspecting and returning the item, doesnt matter if hes TDY for 4-6 months not unless you agreed to this prior to him bidding.
Old 07-05-11, 09:35 PM
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 1,222 Times in 699 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
Too true. The only way I use ebay now is to figure out my high bid, enter it in and then close the page with the auction. Check on it after it's over to see if I've won, otherwise I will overpay every time. I can think of better ways to use my competitive streak.
Agreed. The whole "sniping" thing is a little silly to me. If my bid was the highest, a sniper wouldn't get it anyway. So, I set my bid and make sure to be away from the computer during the last hour of the auction.
Old 07-05-11, 09:40 PM
Fat man in a little coat

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX, Trek 1.2T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil85207
Ask him to fax you his deployment papers proving when he got home. That should be easy for him and quick too. If he really was overseas that should prove it.
This is easy to defeat as well. I was with a special forces unit when I was in the military, and we never received paper deployments. This was the still the case in 2008 when I totally got out.
Old 07-05-11, 09:44 PM
Fat man in a little coat

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX, Trek 1.2T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikepro
Just don't sign anything while you're there.
Never
Again
Volunteer
Yourself
Old 07-05-11, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Many buyers try this in a shady attempt to score free merchandise, or get deep discounts, in the form of partially refunded payments. I'd offer a 25% refund and see if that's acceptable to him. It's basically his BS word against yours...but the favor is in his court, in the ability to give you either good or bad feedback. Haggling about it gets nowhere, and the interchange may just compel him to leave you bad feedback regardless.

The other option is to have him return them to you and do a full refund. It sucks, but I had to do it on several occasions(still, about 1% of my total transactions). They managed to leave me favorable feedback....but I never left them feedback EVER.

Last edited by Dilberto; 07-05-11 at 11:11 PM.