Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Which bike do you consider "The Holy Grail"?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Which bike do you consider "The Holy Grail"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-10, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
Why? Wrong Cranks, wrong pedals, potentially wrong rims (?), wrong rear derailleur, wrong chrome scheme. It looks to me like a typical European restoration. Nice flashy bike with more or less correct componentry, but when you look more carefully, you start noticing everything that was half done.
Old 11-06-10, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Perhaps that's why it has not yet broken the $3k barrier. I was thinking it might sell for $5k and was surprised it was valued so low. Thanks for pointing out those improper components.

I like the vintage pastel green and cream colored bike from about a year ago. I should have kept a photo.
Old 11-06-10, 12:59 AM

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
My grail bike in my racing days was a Masi Gran Criterium, circa '78-82. The Gios Torino SR's of the day were also high on my list, as were the De Rosa's. Those bikes still sit in "grail" status for me, even though I no longer race. A buddy of mine's father (whose Gios torinos were lustworthy back then) still has his De Rosa with low serial number 50th anniversary grouppo on it.

I'd love to find a Singer or Herse porteur or randonneur in my size, but doubt that would happen. My "French fit" size is about 63 -64 cm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Brown's De Rosa..jpg (95.7 KB, 313 views)

Last edited by canyoneagle; 11-06-10 at 01:03 AM.
Old 11-06-10, 04:05 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Citoyen du Monde
Why? Wrong Cranks, wrong pedals, potentially wrong rims (?), wrong rear derailleur, wrong chrome scheme. It looks to me like a typical European restoration. Nice flashy bike with more or less correct componentry, but when you look more carefully, you start noticing everything that was half done.
I guess my standards aren't as high as yours.
Old 11-06-10, 07:32 AM
winning magazine junkie

Bikes: top end gitanes and some funky ones too

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.gitaneusa.com/images/hist...reators-of.jpg

easy for me , the gitane delta wing tt bike. ive only seen the track version . never have i seen the road tt version . this bike was way ahead of its time in 84. aero tubing , winged handlebars in a time when they were using bullhorns. air tunnel designed at renault facilities .look everyday to see if a ex racer has theirs up for sale . but i dont think they got to keep any of these bikes.
Old 11-06-10, 08:09 AM

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
when you look more carefully, you start noticing everything that was half done.
More like a Halfly Grail.
Old 11-06-10, 09:06 AM
#$*&

Bikes: Bates (of Coburg) track bike(60s/70s?), Malvern Star Ladies coronation (1953), SuperElliots pathracer (60s?), Repco pathracer (1964), Holland Ladies (50s?), Moa (50s?), Hillman Ladies (40s?), Batavia? (40s?), Malvern Star 2 star ladies (50s?)...etc.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am re-opening this thread to present the bike that I was mentioning some 10 months ago. It is a Giotto Cinelli bike from 1947. Giotto was Cino's older brother and the one who started the handlebar and stem making business. Giotto Cinelli bikes were only made for a very short time from mid to late 1946 until 1948.

This was one of the three bikes I had on display during my seminar at the Philly Bike Expo.
YYYEEESSS!!!! Would love to see some more pics.

Do the decal crests have "Firenze" instead of "Milano"?
Is this the headbadge?

What serial number? Is it a random 4 digit one like they normally did?

I'd also be interested to know what bars and saddle and seatpost it has? And what that metal band around the seatpost is. It looks to have a seat clamp style similar to modern bikes (I also have this on an Italian bike from 1948-ish) but there appears to be a band above that.

If that were my size it could be a holy grail bike. Alas it's a little short for me.

Last edited by Wotan; 11-06-10 at 09:39 AM. Reason: More stuff
Old 11-06-10, 10:06 AM

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 69 Posts
I have had three Grail bikes by other peoples standards. First I have the 1987 RS 2000 Yellow Cannondale that RCCARDR lusts after. Second, a man came into my shop seven years ago and saw my 1961 Gitane hanging in the rafters and said that was his Holy Grail bike. I had the bike built for me at Gitane when I was stationed in Germany in 1961. It was Campy equipped with the front derailer shifter right above the derailer not on the down tube. The bike was under 20 pounds. The guy went nuts over the bike and offered me insane money for it. Thats what got me back ridding and into vintage bikes. My third bike is a fake 1987 7/11 bike built on 1987 Centurion Ironman frame. The frame was beyond saving the paint when I got it so I painted it like the 7/11 team bike. My Grail has been to find a 7/11 bike and I now have a original Dag Otto 1987 7/11 frame to build up when I get all the parts for it. I raced a bit in the 50's and for the Army team in Germany in the early 60's. I was the envy of all my buddies with my hand built Gitane in 1961.
Ed
Attached Images
1987 yellow Canno&#.jpg (55.6 KB, 184 views)
seven eleven bik.jpg (102.8 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by EddyR; 11-07-10 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-06-10, 10:22 AM
winning magazine junkie

Bikes: top end gitanes and some funky ones too

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
got any pics of the old gitane? id love to see it
Old 11-06-10, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Wotan
YYYEEESSS!!!! Would love to see some more pics.

Do the decal crests have "Firenze" instead of "Milano"?
Is this the headbadge?

What serial number? Is it a random 4 digit one like they normally did?

I'd also be interested to know what bars and saddle and seatpost it has? And what that metal band around the seatpost is. It looks to have a seat clamp style similar to modern bikes (I also have this on an Italian bike from 1948-ish) but there appears to be a band above that.

If that were my size it could be a holy grail bike. Alas it's a little short for me.
The three existing Giotto Cinelli bikes that are known to me all were lacking the original decals. I therefore spent quite a bit of time speaking to three old-timers from Florence about the design of the decals (over one hundred phone calls and an equal number of intermediate decals). All three were Cinelli shop hangers-on back in the day. Two of them also owned Giotto Cinelli bikes back in the day. One of my consultants has since passed away (I found that out when I wanted to send him a photo of my restored bike) I am not sure that the decal design is correct, but if not right on, it is as close as one is likely to be able to achieve without having an original at disposal.

The headbadge is precisely the one you show. The original cranks are marked G. Cinelli, as was the seatpost clamp which is indeed a modern style. The band that appears above teh seatpost clamp is a typical religious artifact that was commonly seen on bikes in the 40's (including on some of Bartali's bikes). The one on my bike is in fact "wrong" as it is from the Madonna del Ghisallo which would not be period correct for teh 40's, nor is the fact that it is fitted with a philips head screw...) The headset appears to be a Magistroni headset with Cinelli marked on it. The stem is marked Cinelli Firenze and tube that is parallel to the ground stands proud of the handlbar clamp
Attached Images
IMG_1273..jpg (62.2 KB, 181 views)
Old 11-06-10, 10:44 AM

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 69 Posts
LOFTER
I have hunted many times for old pictures of my bikes from the 50'-60's but can't find them. More than likely long gone. Recently I found a few slides from a race I entered in Safety Harbor Fl in 1973. It was raining and the picture was taken just befor I fell. I was a sprinter but am buried in the pack so only my wife who took the picture is sure its me.
Ed
Old 11-06-10, 06:50 PM
#$*&

Bikes: Bates (of Coburg) track bike(60s/70s?), Malvern Star Ladies coronation (1953), SuperElliots pathracer (60s?), Repco pathracer (1964), Holland Ladies (50s?), Moa (50s?), Hillman Ladies (40s?), Batavia? (40s?), Malvern Star 2 star ladies (50s?)...etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The three existing Giotto Cinelli bikes that are known to me all were lacking the original decals. I therefore spent quite a bit of time speaking to three old-timers from Florence about the design of the decals (over one hundred phone calls and an equal number of intermediate decals). All three were Cinelli shop hangers-on back in the day. Two of them also owned Giotto Cinelli bikes back in the day. One of my consultants has since passed away (I found that out when I wanted to send him a photo of my restored bike) I am not sure that the decal design is correct, but if not right on, it is as close as one is likely to be able to achieve without having an original at disposal.

The headbadge is precisely the one you show. The original cranks are marked G. Cinelli, as was the seatpost clamp which is indeed a modern style. The band that appears above teh seatpost clamp is a typical religious artifact that was commonly seen on bikes in the 40's (including on some of Bartali's bikes). The one on my bike is in fact "wrong" as it is from the Madonna del Ghisallo which would not be period correct for teh 40's, nor is the fact that it is fitted with a philips head screw...) The headset appears to be a Magistroni headset with Cinelli marked on it. The stem is marked Cinelli Firenze and tube that is parallel to the ground stands proud of the handlbar clamp
Fantastic. Gotta admit, I'm pretty jealous! If I wasn't taking receipt of my ten year younger Cinelli SC in a week or two I would be totally green!

Did your frame have full chrome underneath the paint? I assume that's a repaint, did you go for the same (or similar) color to the original?

Also, very interested to know what bars you have. My 1948 Italian cambio corsa-equipped bike is currently wearing non period-correct Cinelli alloy bars and I'm unsure if Cinelli steel bars just squeeze into that time frame or whether I should be seeking out some Ambrosios or something else (did Fiamme do bars that early?). Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-06-10, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Wotan
Fantastic. Gotta admit, I'm pretty jealous! If I wasn't taking receipt of my ten year younger Cinelli SC in a week or two I would be totally green!

Did your frame have full chrome underneath the paint? I assume that's a repaint, did you go for the same (or similar) color to the original?

Also, very interested to know what bars you have. My 1948 Italian cambio corsa-equipped bike is currently wearing non period-correct Cinelli alloy bars and I'm unsure if Cinelli steel bars just squeeze into that time frame or whether I should be seeking out some Ambrosios or something else (did Fiamme do bars that early?). Any help would be appreciated.
Being in Oz, I suppose you are excused for missing my seminar at the Philly Bike Expo, where I presented the history of Cinelli. Arrigo and Giotto Cinelli officially started producing handlebars and stems in 1940. These were marked Cinelli Firenze and were produced in Florence. In 1948, production was shifted over to Milan, so you could in theory find bars sporting either Cinelli Firenze, Cinelli Milano or even Arrigo Cinelli Firenze, even if Cinelli Firenze would have been the most likely as the production was shifted north during the year. When production moved North, Arrigo continued a very small production in Florence for existing local bicycle industry customers and motorcycle customers.
Old 11-07-10, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,834 Times in 1,998 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
While this bike was clean and flashy, I cannot fathom why it got over $4k. The seduction of chrome and polished alloy I guess.
Old 11-07-10, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by repechage
While this bike was clean and flashy, I cannot fathom why it got over $4k. The seduction of chrome and polished alloy I guess.
Or even $3K.
Old 02-05-12, 10:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
w b hurlow

Originally Posted by Dick Howard
Any W. B. Hurlow with handcut fancy lugs.
I have a W B Hurlow track bike that I bought in 1968, with WHB cut out of the lugs on the head tube. It is in exactly the same colours as the sw cotten shown on this forum. I am thinking about selling if I can find a serious buyer.
Old 02-05-12, 06:52 PM
self propelled lifer

Bikes: 1962 Dawes Galaxy; 72 Gitane Interclub;73 Peugeot PR10;78 Torpado Luxe;73 Grandis; 81 Raleigh/Carlton Comp; 85 Bianchi Stelvio; 87 Bianchi Brava; 73 Bottechia Special; 1969 or70 Bob Jackson

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
A 1954 Carlton Jewel...the epitome of the classic bicycle.
Old 02-05-12, 06:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If anyone thinks a Pegoretti Luigino or a Dave Kirk Fillet frameset in 56cm sizes is their grail bike, send me a PM
Old 02-05-12, 07:11 PM

Bikes: Steel is real. All others need not apply.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
1960's or early 1970's Poliaghi

or

a original Confente
Old 02-05-12, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by toosahn
If anyone thinks a Pegoretti Luigino or a Dave Kirk Fillet frameset in 56cm sizes is their grail bike, send me a PM
Done.

Show your cards.

Please!
Old 02-05-12, 07:32 PM
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I just read an article on some guys that toured the world in the sixties. They mentioned there were only two serious framebuilders in their (and my) hometown: Bontekoe and Eindhoven. The bontekoe shop is still around, a legend in dutch racing circles and even mentioned in the works of a great comedian and writer - the other is more obscure. Both made nice, ornate 60's style frames - I'd love to have one!
Old 02-05-12, 08:14 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3018 Post(s)
Liked 3,845 Times in 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Me, I am still looking for a prewar Frejus. I have been looking for a few years. I may be onto good picture of one, all I have now are some very grainy newspaper pictures.
Looky there. I've got it.

Next, I think a cambio corsa Cinelli would be pretty cool.

Old 02-05-12, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
A Bugatti Wire Frame made by A.D. Stump in my size so it is Unobtainium
Old 02-05-12, 09:05 PM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 205 Posts
I don't think is one particular "holy grail" of bikes. Too many fine builders at one time, and now, to say one is better then the other, although if I were to limit the holy grail to a field of bikes it would be almost any bike with chrome lugs and chrome half forks and half stays. I could list hundreds of bikes I like the looks of but it would take forever. Here's one modern example using stainless steel that looks really cool: https://www.andersoncustombicycles.co...ery/index.html
This one is really cool, look closely and you'll see long point lugs just a fantastic look: https://www.merciancycles.co.uk/galle...ery-image/180/
or this Gios: https://www.giostorino.it/telai/gios-super-record-strada
Then this classic: https://www.google.com/imgres?start=5...:429,r:0,s:542

I need to stop, lots and lots of nice "Holy Grail" bikes out there, just to many to nail down to just one.
Old 02-05-12, 10:35 PM

Bikes: 1986 Miyata 110

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I love my current bike and can not imagine a better one.

My father however has alwayes pined for a Raleigh with with 531 tubing. He worked at a bike shop as a youth and this was the bike he always wanted but could not afford. Obviously not the "quality" that others consider their grail, but he would love that as much as anyone would love a bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.