Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hot r Not

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hot r Not

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-18, 11:22 AM

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville

I adore that frame, and admire the set up. I agree with a previous poster that the wheels don't do it any justice appearance wise. I love tall people, I envy them, and I wish I was one... but sadly tall bikes for tall people just look plain out of proportion and that has a negative effect on "hot factor" (I think I just coined that term). You hit all the right marks though, you just need something like 32 inch wheels!
I agree - taller frames aren’t as proportionally sexy as smaller ones...
The trade off for being tall 🤓

I think 60cm is about the limit for proportion.
Old 09-22-18, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Poor stagin aside, I love the moots, is the handlebar tape something cool and funky or is it just the lighting that seems to have it match the Moots logo? Are you running those wheels tubeless and if so how are those Specialized Turbo's? I ask because that's my next set to try, I really liked the tubed variation.
Yeah sorry about the staging. I didn't take that picture with the intent of posting it here, but I never seem to remember the thread rules when I'm out and can get a pic.

The bar tape is new stuff from Specialized that changes color some depending on the light. One side looks more blue and the other gray. Matches the logo pretty good which I why I got it. I don't have those wheels setup tubeless, but really like the Turbos - I have them in 26c. I was all about the GT 4000s ii until I tried the Turbos and have switched. To be honest though if you swapped my tires back to the Conti's I'm not sure I'd notice. I do have a set of Stan's Grail rims that I have tubeless that I have a set of 37c WTB Riddler on. Those are pretty nice riding tires and are quite on the road. Haven't had a chance to put them through their paces off-road yet though.
Old 09-22-18, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
tall bikes for tall people just look plain out of proportion
I disagree. Anything less than a 56cm frame looks pathetic. Like they are made for members of the lollipop guild.

Old 09-22-18, 05:49 PM

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Originally Posted by noodle soup
I disagree. Anything less than a 56cm frame looks pathetic. Like they are made for members of the lollipop guild.
LOL
I agree, anything smaller than 55-56 hits similar proportional challenges. I think 56-60 cm is the sweet spot.

Throwing an outdoor shot from a different angle into the mix.
I personally like the Archetypes on the bike, but agree a sexy set of carbon tubulars would up the game significantly, though (to me) there is something about the 32 sparkly spokes in each wheel that echoes the bike's classic roots.

Last edited by canyoneagle; 09-22-18 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-22-18, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by canyoneagle

I agree - taller frames aren’t as proportionally sexy as smaller ones...
The trade off for being tall ��

I think 60cm is about the limit for proportion.

56-60cm frames with level TTs are IMO the best looking.

My 60cm Guerciotti looks pretty nice, but my 60cm Trek Domane looks odd, and the disc brakes don't help it's appearance either.
Old 09-22-18, 08:10 PM

My 60cm Guerciotti looks pretty nice, but my 60cm Trek Domane looks odd, and the disc brakes don't help it's appearance either.
I tend to agree.
On "old school" level TT bikes, 58-60 seems to work very well.
Modern carbon frames offer up a variety - some look amazing in the smaller sizes, but not many look great in the larger sizes. This is where I think a horizontal TT can allow slightly larger frames to look aesthetically good.

OK, last shot....... promise..... well, maybe not, but outdoor shot from the side, again, for scrutiny

Old 09-22-18, 08:26 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
I tend to agree.
Modern carbon frames offer up a variety - some look amazing in the smaller sizes, but not many look great in the larger sizes. This is where I think a horizontal TT can allow slightly larger frames to look aesthetically good.

OK, last shot....... promise..... well, maybe not, but outdoor shot from the side, again, for scrutiny

I think its fantastic. Good colors, cool paint, and nice components. Nice threadless conversion too.

significantly better than the murdered out matte black on matte black on matte black with comically slammed stem look.
Old 09-22-18, 09:52 PM

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts

https://youtu.be/QhjRUKCKIG4
ha touché (again)!
Old 09-22-18, 10:14 PM

Its true, Noodle’s Trek is incredibly odd looking! Still a great bike though.

I tend to agree.

The other 3/4 shot makes the bike look hot, the side shots....
Old 09-24-18, 07:02 AM
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 1,870 Times in 1,065 Posts

I think we all think our own sized bike looks best or "right".

That said, this bike looks like it is almost perfectly set up for me. Longer stem, black tape & bars and it would be perfect.

Record hubs laced to Archetypes are VERY nice wheels. And they look right on a classic steel frame.

LOL
I agree, anything smaller than 55-56 hits similar proportional challenges. I think 56-60 cm is the sweet spot.

Throwing an outdoor shot from a different angle into the mix.
I personally like the Archetypes on the bike, but agree a sexy set of carbon tubulars would up the game significantly, though (to me) there is something about the 32 sparkly spokes in each wheel that echoes the bike's classic roots.
Old 09-24-18, 09:45 AM
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
The lack of taste in this thread is concerning

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
That's one of the hottest bikes ever posted in this thread.
how is this two/three tone mess of a bike even warm. it can’t be helped due to the paint job. I’m finding that people here simply lack good taste. my goodness may the lord have mercy on my eyes. growlerdinky must of had his acid reflux cured after seeing this thing. Ok the blue is nice but blue and neon green? No.

as for canyon eagle there isn’t a slight weight penalty. your probably looking at a 6lb penalty in comparison to my vortex. your lying to yourself! I’d prefer the light carbon rides in here to heavy steel unless I’m bicycle touring or commuting and you know how I feel about carbon in general. But I like the yellow and look of the bike overall. at least it’s not pink.
Old 09-24-18, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by MyTi
as for canyon eagle there isn’t a slight weight penalty. your probably looking at a 6lb penalty in comparison to my vortex. your lying to yourself! I’d prefer the light carbon rides in here to heavy steel unless I’m bicycle touring or commuting and you know how I feel about carbon in general. But I like the yellow and look of the bike overall. at least it’s not pink.
6 pound weight penalty?

Old 09-24-18, 10:21 AM
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts

how is this two/three tone mess of a bike even warm. it can’t be helped due to the paint job. I’m finding that people here simply lack good taste. my goodness may the lord have mercy on my eyes. growlerdinky must of had his acid reflux cured after seeing this thing. Ok the blue is nice but blue and neon green? No.

How much does your bike weigh? I don't think I've seen the weight posted anywhere.
Old 09-24-18, 10:29 AM

Yes, not pink good dig.

Weight penalty is not 6 lbs, as this frame/fork is almost exactly 6 lbs (6.2). Unless your frame is is 0 lbs, the difference is (at most) a few pounds given similar build. Most carbon frame/fork combos are 1-1.5 kilos (2.2 - 3.3 lbs).
This bike came in at 20 lbs as equipped, and I didn't go with weight weenie components for the most part. I could easily get that to 19 or less with lightweight wheels, and edging towards 18 with other component choices. Not my bag.
As a point of comparison, my previous Fuji GranFondo with Ultegra and a 1600g wheelset weighed in at 18.2 pounds for the 60cm bike. So, I've given up 1.8 pounds to a nice (not not top end) carbon bike.
I doubt your bike is 14 pounds.

I weigh 195 lbs, so the difference is inconsequential. I don't feel the weight at all - in fact, the bike feels incredible. Lively.
Again, I think weight for weight's sake is folly - many resources online that address the relatively insignificant impact of weight - the only place it even begins to matter is on very long climbs, and I really don't care about a few seconds (or even a minute). If I were still racing, I'd probably have a climbing-only bike for mountainous events. Actually, probably not. Just wheels. In the flats, it makes essentially no difference. Rider aerodynamics are the biggest factor there. Especially for a tall guy like me.

Anyway, glad you love your bike. Nothing wrong with Ti.
Ride on!

Last edited by canyoneagle; 09-24-18 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-24-18, 10:54 AM
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by growlerdinky
How much does your bike weigh? I don't think I've seen the weight posted anywhere.

He can't weigh it without his ego attached and so far it's broken every scale he's tried.
Old 09-24-18, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by nycphotography
He can't weigh it without his ego attached and so far it's broken every scale he's tried.
Old 09-24-18, 11:26 AM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
H+Son wheels, 2 cross lacing and 80 mm valve stems are not hot.

The deck needs a coat of Olympic.

-Tim-
Old 09-24-18, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by TimothyH
H+Son wheels, 2 cross lacing and 80 mm valve stems are not hot.

The deck needs a coat of Olympic.

-Tim-
Agreed on the stems. Way too long.
2x front, 3x rear - perhaps not hot, but holds down the classic theme. Sort of like Singer's Porsches with Fuchs remakes.

The deck, however, needs a sawzall

Last edited by canyoneagle; 09-24-18 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-24-18, 12:30 PM

It's not green, it's "Citron" ok that's marketing speak perhaps, but definitely a lemon yellow. Two colors of slate, for the above citron sections. mine is a steel/carbon blend, carbon seat tube, seat post, fork, and bar/stem combo. Mix of True Temper and Prestige I think on the rest of the bike. came in at 16lbs 4oz with my saddle bag, pedals, and bottle cages. Not too bad.

I know Canyon Eagle said that his was just sub 20 which for that size bike and steel is freaking awesome.

I know that you've got a nice little stick in your butt these days, that's ok it happens, sometimes I sit on something that hurts too...

Last edited by robbyville; 09-24-18 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-24-18, 06:00 PM
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts

My bike weighs 16 with pedals, cages.. This is thin wallled 6-4 Ti. Your bike is 22 pounds I estimate. You’ve never weighed that bike and if you did you are contradicting your own belief system!!!! You are a lightweight at 195lbs. I’m 292 pounds and I feel the difference on a lightweight bike.
Old 09-24-18, 06:21 PM

My bike weighs 16 with pedals, cages.. This is thin wallled 6-4 Ti. Your bike is 22 pounds I estimate. You’ve never weighed that bike and if you did you are contradicting your own belief system!!!! You are a lightweight at 195lbs. I’m 292 pounds and I feel the difference on a lightweight bike.
Who are you talking to?

that Speedvagen is under 17 pounds, A guy I ride with has a very similar Speedvagen, and it’s 16.8 pounds.
Old 09-24-18, 06:35 PM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts

My bike weighs 16 with pedals, cages.. This is thin wallled 6-4 Ti.
Pics or it didn’t happen. But I can say with near 100% certainty that it didn’t happen. While light for Ti, it’s still a 1300+ gram frame and you have zero weight weenie parts on it. I’m giving it 18 lbs. at best ready to ride.
Old 09-24-18, 06:42 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
Pics or it didn’t happen. But I can say with near 100% certainty that it didn’t happen. While light for Ti, it’s still a 1300+ gram frame and you have zero weight weenie parts on it. I’m giving it 18 lbs. at best ready to ride.
In its glory -

Old 09-24-18, 06:49 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Ah yes, I can see the pounds quite clearly.
Old 09-24-18, 06:53 PM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
In its glory -
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Ah yes, I can see the pounds quite clearly.
Ha! Yeah, I meant a scale shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.