Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge 1000 GPS issues

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Garmin Edge 1000 GPS issues

Old 08-29-18, 10:18 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 6,977
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Garmin Edge 1000 GPS issues

After four years of regular use, the power button on my GPS broke. Apparently itís just a plastic piece that pushes the actual button inside. Looked online for a fix, but couldnít find anything. Garmin wants a ridiculous $200 to replace with a refurbished unit. They claimed the problem is unheard of or rare, which is a pack of lies. They donít offer any solution other than replacement. While I can still power on and off the unit with a paper clip, itís no longer waterproof. Any ideas to repair?

Searching around, this seems to be a fairly common issue, and the Edge 1030 has changed the design, but those go for over $500. Many are looking at Wahoo products as a replacement. Any GPS units out there that are more durable and not ridiculously expensive?



alan s is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 06:14 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 6,877

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
A drop of glue ?

Seriously, I've never read of this breaking in a lot of reading about assorted GPS reviews and posts.

Saw this on a Google - https://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html

As well, you are not going to get a 1000 replacement for $200. Closest is an Element at $330. Seems even a factory replacement 1000 at $200 is a good deal.
Steve B. is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 06:18 PM
  #3  
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5,331

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
After four years of regular use, the power button on my GPS broke. Apparently itís just a plastic piece that pushes the actual button inside. Looked online for a fix, but couldnít find anything. Garmin wants a ridiculous $200 to replace with a refurbished unit. They claimed the problem is unheard of or rare, which is a pack of lies. They donít offer any solution other than replacement. While I can still power on and off the unit with a paper clip, itís no longer waterproof. Any ideas to repair?

Searching around, this seems to be a fairly common issue, and the Edge 1030 has changed the design, but those go for over $500. Many are looking at Wahoo products as a replacement. Any GPS units out there that are more durable and not ridiculously expensive?




They never heard of it? LOL, Mine did the exact same thing in May. When they told me the bill, I used the money to buy a Wahoo.
Marcus_Ti is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 08:08 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 6,977
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
They never heard of it? LOL, Mine did the exact same thing in May. When they told me the bill, I used the money to buy a Wahoo.
Which Wahoo unit are you using, and how does it compare to the Garmin? I like the features of the Edge 1000, but being waterproof is essential. As far as gluing the piece on, it not likely to last long because there is really nothing but a hole with the actual power button recessed pretty far inside.
alan s is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 08:16 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 6,977
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
A drop of glue ?

Seriously, I've never read of this breaking in a lot of reading about assorted GPS reviews and posts.

Saw this on a Google - https://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html

As well, you are not going to get a 1000 replacement for $200. Closest is an Element at $330. Seems even a factory replacement 1000 at $200 is a good deal.
Reviews are usually of new products, and this issue wouldnít surface until the unit has had substantial use. There are plenty of forum discussions by people having the same issue, in many cases after only a year. Canít see spending another $200 for a product that is defectively designed, and that the company wonít stand behind or offer a reasonable fix. The white plastic part would be easy to replace and cost very little to produce, but they donít offer that. In my opinion, a GPS should last a good 10 years or longer.
alan s is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 08:25 PM
  #6  
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5,331

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s


Which Wahoo unit are you using, and how does it compare to the Garmin? I like the features of the Edge 1000, but being waterproof is essential. As far as gluing the piece on, it not likely to last long because there is really nothing but a hole with the actual power button recessed pretty far inside.

I got a Bolt. I was livid at Garmin, and after 10 years of bending over and taking it (Edge 205/305/705 and 1000). One of my mates lives in KC and I exchanged it with him for some beer ...he even went to the front desk of the Garmin offices to exchange it and it still cost $200. I'd played with a roadie mate's ELEMNT in camp one night and was sold on a Wahoo even before my E1K died.

These days most of my riding is JRA or planned or scouted by organizers...so the need to spontaneously reroute out of phone-tower range is low. Which is the one caveat ATM with any Wahoo computer being used for touring here in the USA--on-the-fly routing is dependent on having cellphone towers....and cell tower coverage is iffy, particularly here in the Great Plains.

The biggest differences are: no touch-screen, no color screen, and no unpaired routing in remote areas. Which if you can live without those things--it is a great unit. Most all the data-fields I can imagine are on both. Setting aside the obvious--the Edge1000 was huge (honestly too big with the gigantic bezels), the Bolt isn't. Battery life on the Bolt is way better without needing to turn any features off. Features like text notifications (full text not just a snippet) work (Garmin they were always wonky). The Wahoos don't have a "sleep" mode like the E1K does--so it is full boot-up/power-off which takes about as long for the equivalent as E1K.

Both Bolt and ELEMNT run the same firmware--only difference is screen size, bolt has up to 9 data fields whereas ELEMNT does 11.

The DCRainmaker reviews of the Wahoo Bolt gives good normal-use review of what playing with it a Wahoo OS unit is like. The ELEMNT review is very old, and there have been LOTS of changes since the original ELEMNT review was u-hence why I say look at the Bolt review. Wahoo actively maintaines their units, and generally updating is not an anxiety-causing affair unlike Garmin.

Last edited by Marcus_Ti; 08-29-18 at 08:28 PM.
Marcus_Ti is offline  
Old 08-30-18, 05:38 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 6,877

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s


Reviews are usually of new products, and this issue wouldnít surface until the unit has had substantial use. There are plenty of forum discussions by people having the same issue, in many cases after only a year. Canít see spending another $200 for a product that is defectively designed, and that the company wonít stand behind or offer a reasonable fix. The white plastic part would be easy to replace and cost very little to produce, but they donít offer that. In my opinion, a GPS should last a good 10 years or longer.
I never stated reviews, I was talking about users posts, possibly I read different forums then you but can't recall this being a huge issue.

And you are dreaming to expect 10 years out of a device that even you state gets regular use, NOTHING lasts that long without some issues. Do you expect your cell phone to last that long ?. Makes me wonder how the buttons are going to hold up on a Wahoo in 4 years, especially as with no touch screen, the buttons are pretty much needed. Who knows, maybe longer than a Garmin, but it's a crap shoot on these devices.

I do understand your frustration, but what are your options ?. The Wahoo's are good devices but a lot more then the $200 Garmin wants for a re-furb. I had a Bolt and except for the fact that the white on black reverse text of navigation was mostly unreadable, with no fix in sight, I liked the unit. The 1000 has better maps and the larger screen makes those maps easier to read. The Bolt wouldn't be my choice for a tour, the Element maybe. I found the Bolt battery to last about 14 hrs., no navigation where I get 12 out of my 1000 a year from purchase (no navigation), so weigh your options.
Steve B. is offline  
Old 08-30-18, 06:02 AM
  #8  
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5,331

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I never stated reviews, I was talking about users posts, possibly I read different forums then you but can't recall this being a huge issue.

And you are dreaming to expect 10 years out of a device that even you state gets regular use, NOTHING lasts that long without some issues. Do you expect your cell phone to last that long ?. Makes me wonder how the buttons are going to hold up on a Wahoo in 4 years, especially as with no touch screen, the buttons are pretty much needed. Who knows, maybe longer than a Garmin, but it's a crap shoot on these devices.

I do understand your frustration, but what are your options ?. The Wahoo's are good devices but a lot more then the $200 Garmin wants for a re-furb. I had a Bolt and except for the fact that the white on black reverse text of navigation was mostly unreadable, with no fix in sight, I liked the unit. The 1000 has better maps and the larger screen makes those maps easier to read. The Bolt wouldn't be my choice for a tour, the Element maybe. I found the Bolt battery to last about 14 hrs., no navigation where I get 12 out of my 1000 a year from purchase (no navigation), so weigh your options.

Bolt at retail is $250, head-unit and mounts only...which is comparable. Especially given the week(s) it would take in RMA with Garmin to get exchanged.


IRL I never got 10 hours with my E1K of battery life. Without turning anything off I'd ride a century (or 6-7 hours) and the battery would be flatline.
Marcus_Ti is offline  
Old 08-30-18, 07:42 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 6,877

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Bolt at retail is $250, head-unit and mounts only...which is comparable. Especially given the week(s) it would take in RMA with Garmin to get exchanged.


IRL I never got 10 hours with my E1K of battery life. Without turning anything off I'd ride a century (or 6-7 hours) and the battery would be flatline.
Interesting as I've seen as much as 14, but it tends to be less after a year. Note that I'm not navigating, rarely use the map screen when JRA, have GLONASS off, but do use Live Track and the BT connection to Di2. Time will tell how this battery holds up.
Steve B. is offline  
Old 08-30-18, 09:01 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 6,977
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
The battery is barely adequate for longer days. I’ve had to recharge the GPS during the day to keep it going. A minor annoyance, but as long as you have the ability to charge, it’s not that big a deal. The only moving part self-destructing after a few years or less is unacceptable. Garmin’s lack of a reasonable fix or other fair offer will drive customers away. It seems the two major problems with the 1000, the power button and battery life, have been addressed in the 1030, but to make a customer shell out another $500-600, when the 1000 is otherwise going strong, is bad business. Why not simply offer a $2 replacement part?
alan s is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Fly2High
Road Cycling
112
04-03-19 08:12 AM
_ForceD_
General Cycling Discussion
5
03-28-19 05:54 PM
babyboomer
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
6
06-02-18 02:47 PM
jwalther
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
10
03-05-15 05:50 PM
fiataccompli
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
3
01-30-13 03:29 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.