Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

The Bos is back?

Old 01-24-16, 07:28 PM
  #26  
VeloSIRraptor
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 4,585
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I recall stories (or rumors) that Jamie Staff didn't like some parts of the TK1 for his sprinters and Felt made adjustments. That's (apparently) why there were "Sprint" and "Endurance" models of the TK1.
I've wrenched for two UCI-level guys who were on the first edition TK1s, both disliked the bike, but were on deals where that was what they had to ride -
One sold both his frames the day his deal was up and went back to a previous Tiemeyer (partially 'cause he was a broke racer, but also because he disliked it)
The other traded his gen1 models in, got gen2 frames and said they were substantially improved.

In talking w/ Jenny Reed while working on her bikes, she had the option to be on a TK1sprint, and she bought her own Look instead (cash, out of pocket).
Hida Yanra is offline  
Old 01-24-16, 07:48 PM
  #27  
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,965
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
I've wrenched for two UCI-level guys who were on the first edition TK1s, both disliked the bike, but were on deals where that was what they had to ride -
One sold both his frames the day his deal was up and went back to a previous Tiemeyer (partially 'cause he was a broke racer, but also because he disliked it)
The other traded his gen1 models in, got gen2 frames and said they were substantially improved.

In talking w/ Jenny Reed while working on her bikes, she had the option to be on a TK1sprint, and she bought her own Look instead (cash, out of pocket).
I think the same goes for all of the US sprinters that ride TK1s. All of a sudden all of the fastest guys in the US (Baranoski, Massie, Lakatosh, etc...) and even NJsane Phillip (close friend of the aforementioned) all showed up on Felts. They were on Dolans & LOOKs before that. I think it was a big marketing push by Felt. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy that Felt is investing in track cycling. I just think that they could make it better for sprinting.

Notice that no one outside of the US, TT, and MX ride Felts...especially sprinters.
carleton is offline  
Old 01-24-16, 07:53 PM
  #28  
VeloSIRraptor
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 4,585
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
heck- the top US sprinters don't much, Missy/Jenny both went to other frames.

Also, Dave is the man and already got back to me.
re, who gave input "Sarah yes, Bobby no. Actually it was Phinney, Friedman, Pearce back when development was underway in '07"
re: what kind of input, "Mostly geo and position. We got stiffness input from Oly sprinters Giddeon, Watkins, Njsane. Enduros don't need stiff"

so, there you have it from the man on the spot..
Hida Yanra is offline  
Old 01-24-16, 08:39 PM
  #29  
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,965
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
heck- the top US sprinters don't much, Missy/Jenny both went to other frames.

Also, Dave is the man and already got back to me.
re, who gave input "Sarah yes, Bobby no. Actually it was Phinney, Friedman, Pearce back when development was underway in '07"
re: what kind of input, "Mostly geo and position. We got stiffness input from Oly sprinters Giddeon, Watkins, Njsane. Enduros don't need stiff"

so, there you have it from the man on the spot..
Nice! Thanks!
carleton is offline  
Old 01-24-16, 08:42 PM
  #30  
VeloSIRraptor
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 4,585
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Nice! Thanks!
from my perspective working in a brand-agnostic LBS, this exchange w/ an employee from Felt is completely unsurprising for them as an organization - and would be a completely shocking experience w/ an employee from almost any other bike company.
Hida Yanra is offline  
Old 01-24-16, 08:48 PM
  #31  
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,965
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
from my perspective working in a brand-agnostic LBS, this exchange w/ an employee from Felt is completely unsurprising for them as an organization - and would be a completely shocking experience w/ an employee from almost any other bike company.
Agreed!

Ask him "Whose idea was it to run a 40mm fork when other top tier bikes are 30-34mm?" and why, please.

(My money is on Hammer)
carleton is offline  
Old 01-24-16, 09:56 PM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
wens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 3,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
heck- the top US sprinters don't much, Missy/Jenny both went to other frames.

Also, Dave is the man and already got back to me.
re, who gave input "Sarah yes, Bobby no. Actually it was Phinney, Friedman, Pearce back when development was underway in '07"
re: what kind of input, "Mostly geo and position. We got stiffness input from Oly sprinters Giddeon, Watkins, Njsane. Enduros don't need stiff"

so, there you have it from the man on the spot..
Was this a pm or a thread? And if thread, link?
wens is offline  
Old 01-25-16, 08:21 AM
  #33  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton
I take all results and times from 6-days with a grain of salt. It's entertainment.

The crowd wanted Bos to win...Bos won. Same thing happened with Cav when he did his 6-day tour after winning the road World Championship.

It would have been pretty anti-climactic if Bos came in last wouldn't it?
In your opinion, were Bos' Keirin and Sprint wins at Revolution Stage 6, Manchester, more or less likely "prearranged"? Such dominant wins. Thanks.
EsqDavidK is offline  
Old 01-25-16, 09:50 AM
  #34  
aka mattio
 
queerpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,586

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
i know you asked carleton, but i'd say that those wins were certainly NOT pre-arranged. the Revolution series is a UCI event. People are competing for world cup and world championship qualification points. it's not a six-day.

with six-days, it's an open secret that some events are... "choreographed." Fixed isn't quite the right word, but the promoter will communicate to riders that certain events are their time to shine, and the promoter will make it clear that the success of the event depends on close competition that builds to the final madison of the final night.

Fixed is a bit strong because, well, riders don't want to be told what place they're supposed to finish in. they want to race. but they do know that there are certain events where the little guys are supposed to win, and there are certain events when it's game on for the marquee names. I've heard of more than a few instances where a too-strong attempt by the promoter to dictate who finishes where backfires pretty hard as the teams that don't like what they're told gang up on the teams in front of them and try to **** up the plans pretty thoroughly.
queerpunk is offline  
Old 01-25-16, 10:22 AM
  #35  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by queerpunk
i know you asked carleton, but i'd say that those wins were certainly NOT pre-arranged. the Revolution series is a UCI event. People are competing for world cup and world championship qualification points. it's not a six-day.

with six-days, it's an open secret that some events are... "choreographed." Fixed isn't quite the right word, but the promoter will communicate to riders that certain events are their time to shine, and the promoter will make it clear that the success of the event depends on close competition that builds to the final madison of the final night.

Fixed is a bit strong because, well, riders don't want to be told what place they're supposed to finish in. they want to race. but they do know that there are certain events where the little guys are supposed to win, and there are certain events when it's game on for the marquee names. I've heard of more than a few instances where a too-strong attempt by the promoter to dictate who finishes where backfires pretty hard as the teams that don't like what they're told gang up on the teams in front of them and try to **** up the plans pretty thoroughly.
Thanks. That's what I thought...the venue, etc., and caliber of races indicates it was on the level. So, I gather that 6-days races, like the French criteriums that follow the TDF, can be a bit "prearranged" by the promoter to favor stars and hometown heros, etc.
EsqDavidK is offline  
Old 01-25-16, 10:48 AM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
wens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 3,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EsqDavidK
Thanks. That's what I thought...the venue, etc., and caliber of races indicates it was on the level. So, I gather that 6-days races, like the French criteriums that follow the TDF, can be a bit "prearranged" by the promoter to favor stars and hometown heros, etc.
To a certain extent... The Madison, for example, is going to go 54 kph or whatever crazy fast speed because the field isn't going to just roll over, so you need to be one of the fittest to take the multiple laps required to win. In Nothstein's book be talks about it a bit, but the gist is that the results aren't radically different from if the races were completely straight. The big thing is you'll probably never see somebody jump out to a huge five lap lead on the second day, for example. it's always going to stay close and usually come down to the last sprint both because of the format and encouragement from promoters.
wens is offline  
Old 01-25-16, 12:00 PM
  #37  
aka mattio
 
queerpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,586

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by EsqDavidK
Thanks. That's what I thought...the venue, etc., and caliber of races indicates it was on the level. So, I gather that 6-days races, like the French criteriums that follow the TDF, can be a bit "prearranged" by the promoter to favor stars and hometown heros, etc.
oh, post-tour crits are totally totally totally fixed for entertainment value. Froome beats Sagan in a sprint - yeah.

six-days are miles below that on the spectrum of fixedness.

Originally Posted by wens
To a certain extent... The Madison, for example, is going to go 54 kph or whatever crazy fast speed because the field isn't going to just roll over, so you need to be one of the fittest to take the multiple laps required to win. In Nothstein's book be talks about it a bit, but the gist is that the results aren't radically different from if the races were completely straight. The big thing is you'll probably never see somebody jump out to a huge five lap lead on the second day, for example. it's always going to stay close and usually come down to the last sprint both because of the format and encouragement from promoters.
yeah, a few years ago i recall Ed Hood writing something to the extent of, "sure, it's fixed, but that still means that you have to take a lap on Marvulli and Risi at 54kph."

Last edited by queerpunk; 01-25-16 at 02:33 PM.
queerpunk is offline  
Old 01-25-16, 02:25 PM
  #38  
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,965
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
i know you asked carleton, but i'd say that those wins were certainly NOT pre-arranged. the Revolution series is a UCI event. People are competing for world cup and world championship qualification points. it's not a six-day.
I stand corrected. I didn't know that Revolution were UCI events with points.
carleton is offline  
Old 01-25-16, 09:32 PM
  #39  
VeloSIRraptor
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 4,585
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
...a few years ago i recall Ed Hood writing something to the extent of, "sure, it's fixed, but that still means that you have to take a lap on Marvulli and Risi at 54kph."
dang - two days in a row, that's the clip I was thinking of and you beat me to it.
yup - absolutely.

One interesting thing about the Rev events is that the top stars in the sport don't really ride them other than Iljo and Kenny who will do one or two - but never with top partners- and for the series stuff, the Brits are guaranteed to come out on top, and not get smeared by the best of the best.
Best reason I've heard is that the top guys want more money than the UK promoters are interested in paying- especially given the promoters have an inexhaustable supply of UK pipeline talent and a preference for the local country's riders to win anyway.
Hida Yanra is offline  
Old 01-25-16, 09:33 PM
  #40  
VeloSIRraptor
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 4,585
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wens
Was this a pm or a thread? And if thread, link?
no link, sorry - correspondence.
Hida Yanra is offline  
Old 02-16-16, 09:12 PM
  #41  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kanazawa
Posts: 1,700

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Bos named in Dutch Worlds team
Theo Bos’ ambition of making it to the Olympic Games this year has received a boost after he was named in the Dutch line-up for the UCI Track World Championships next month. The Dimension Datarider has been picked for the individual sprint and the kilometre time trial.
Bos has taken a year out of his road racing programme, and a serious pay cut, to focus on the Olympics in Rio. He is a three-time world champion in the Sprint, his last title coming in 2007, and holds a kilometre world title from 2005. He won national titles in both events late last year, a result that persuaded him to aim for the track in Rio.

courtesy cycling news Merckx leaves Oman after former coach dies - News Shorts | Cyclingnews.com
Baby Puke is offline  
Old 08-01-23, 01:19 AM
  #42  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
from my perspective working in a brand-agnostic LBS, this exchange w/ an employee from Felt is completely unsurprising for them as an organization - and would be a completely shocking experience w/ an employee from almost any other bike company.
Ask me anything about my latest project the Stromm Track bike
-SD
SuperDaveFelt is offline  
Old 08-01-23, 10:30 AM
  #43  
VeloSIRraptor
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 4,585
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperDaveFelt
Ask me anything about my latest project the Stromm Track bike
-SD
Dave! getting a notification from you was not EVEN on my bingo card for today morning.
I've been out of track (and bikes in general) for a long time now - but I've still got my 1970s Silca Super Pista pump, a worn track wrench, and a ton of amazing memories.

Your new project caught my eye when it went public a bit ago - looks great and I was thrilled to see you are still doing exciting work.
I hope the project goes well! You've got some fast folks on that frame.

For all ya'll on the track forum, queerpunk/Tak/Carleton/RacerEx/et al.... miss you folks.
Hida Yanra is offline  
Likes For Hida Yanra:
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Clythio
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
3
10-29-18 11:14 PM
carleton
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
7
07-29-18 12:12 AM
700wheel
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
31
07-20-15 08:44 AM
TrackMonkey7
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
33
02-26-13 12:11 AM
BrainInAJar
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
6
09-08-11 10:20 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.