Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-16, 07:13 AM
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Oh my God! you guys are worse than Miata.net!
Old 06-09-16, 07:44 AM
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
A Cannondale storage bag that fits on the top tube and stem.

Kind of geeky but in the last 18 months I've lost 2 pair of Rx sunglasses that came out of my jersey pocket after changing them out during twilight rides. I'm not too old to learn (finally).
Old 06-09-16, 08:09 AM

Bikes: Montague Para Trooper High line

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just received a Assos SS.mangussta_s7 Jersey and 2-Voler base layer shirt (for summer).
Old 06-09-16, 09:18 AM

Bikes: 2013 Trek 1.5

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Walter
A Cannondale storage bag that fits on the top tube and stem.

Kind of geeky but in the last 18 months I've lost 2 pair of Rx sunglasses that came out of my jersey pocket after changing them out during twilight rides. I'm not too old to learn (finally).
I actually think those bags are kinda cool, especially ones that also hold your phone.
Old 06-09-16, 09:21 AM

Bikes: 2013 Trek 1.5

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Vuelta Corsa Lite wheelset and a pair of Conti GP4000S II. Plan to get everything on this weekend.
Old 06-09-16, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
You sure do assume a lot. I can bet you that I can fix a flat, assuming I know where the hole is from the start, and fix my tube as fast as you can taking one out and putting a new one without the use of CO2. I have a method I've used for years, most of the time I don't even have to remove the wheel from the bike, I leave the wheel on and remove about 1/2 of the bead on one side with the penetration point being in the center, I then pull out about a 1/4th of the tube again the hole will be in the middle, I then buff the tube and apply the glueless patch and press as hard as I can for 30 seconds, check the inside of the tire for any perturbing objects if it wasn't sticking out of the tread and remove it, reinstall the tube and tire, pump and go. Obviously this method doesn't work all the time, but most of the time it does. When it doesn't work that way you will probably beat me, but I would rather find the leak while I'm there because everything is apart and I can index the tube once I found the leak to find the penetration point and make sure nothing is still stuck that would flat either a new tube or a patched one. And I use to live in the Mojave Desert, and Palm Desert area of Southern California, don't tell me about hot days, I did it plenty of time in temps in excess of 100 degrees.

I don't use latex tubes, I found them to be a waste of money with no discernible difference in flats or performance, although supposedly there is about a 1 to 2 watt gain which can't be felt anyways but if I was racing I would use them, they were a tad more comfortable though. Glueless patches do not stick to latex permanently they will stick for about 3 to 5 days, so you were partially right on that one. And to toss a $20 plus tube every time there is a hole makes my earlier example even more lopsided in regards to the point I made about time is money.

You can fix latex tubes though and save a lot of money on buying new ones every time you have a flat. You simply take an old latex tubes and cut a bunch of 1" diameter pieces, then when you have a flat you use Pastali rim glue that's used for tubular tires, and spread a very thin coat on both the patch and the tube, then apply it and press flat as hard as you can for about 30 seconds and the tube is good to go. The rim glue works better than trying to vulcanize it since latex is not butyl, it will work but I've found it doesn't last as long maybe a 6 months...I can't recall now it's been a long long time since I tried vulcanizing glue on latex, but even with regular patch glue you still have to put the glue on both the patch and the tube. So if I was using latex today I would replace the tube on the road instead of patching it and wait till I got home to patch...but I would still carry patches with me because one never knows if they'll get a 2nd flat in one ride.

I haven't found any reliable tubes for $2.00 or less as you stated that you use, I've had issues with those cheap tubes using poor quality presta valves, inconsistent tube wall thickness, seams that split, and the weight of them are heavier than other tubes. I also stock up on tubes but that's because my LBS has a running sale on Specialized tubes where if I buy 3 I pay $21 instead of $10 for one, but since I patch I only have 2 or 3 at the most in reserve.
I remember you saying once that you use tire liners and never get flats, so why do you have so much experience changing them?

Also, you pay way too much for tubes. I don't even pay $10 for latex tubes. The last batch I bought, I got them for $7/ea.

Lastly, chill the f' out. I've never seen someone so up in arms over bike tubes before.

Edit to add: I'm trying out road tubeless this weekend after picking up some Pro1's for $45/ea

Whatever will I do then. Your tube patching method won't work if I get a flat? Guess I'll need to throw a tube in.

Old 06-09-16, 11:57 AM
:)

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, Specialized Rockhopper, Norco Fluid FS1

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
*snip*

Also, you pay way too much for tubes. I don't even pay $10 for latex tubes. The last batch I bought, I got them for $7/ea.
Woah which ones and where?

Lastly, chill the f' out. I've never seen someone so up in arms over bike tubes before.

Edit to add: I'm trying out road tubeless this weekend after picking up some Pro1's for $45/ea

Whatever will I do then. Your tube patching method won't work if I get a flat? Guess I'll need to throw a tube in.
Old 06-09-16, 04:55 PM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by ARPRINCE
If you don't have a flux capacitor, how can you check in the future?
Ahh, but I do have a flux capacitor, but I can't get enough flux; so instead I got a cryo tank where I can lower myself into it turn on the juice and be frozen to death, problem with is I won't know anyone that will be around in 400 years to unthaw me; so instead I practice remote viewing and can see things, places, and into other times, but I killed too many goats and the neighbors got upset.
Old 06-09-16, 05:34 PM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

I remember you saying once that you use tire liners and never get flats, so why do you have so much experience changing them?

I use tire liners on only my rear tires on both my commuter bike and my touring bike, both of those should be obvious to you why just those two bikes and not my other bikes.

Regardless, how is using liners prevent me from knowing how to patch a tube? LOL.

Up in arms? settle down Francis, my first paragraph in your quote of me was simply instructions to others, you excepted because you think I don't know what I'm talking about, on how to fix a flat faster that most people don't realize can be done the way I do it and the way people use to do many many years ago.

My second paragraph was simply an opinion about latex tubes, I know a lot of people here use them, I don't care, and never said I did.

My third paragraph was again instructions on how I use to patch latex tubes, again information not meant for you because you don't like someone giving you useful instructions.

My forth paragraph was again stating an opinion in regards to cheap tubes that I have bought and my experiences with those and the problems associated with them.

So you're the one that needs to settle down and quit getting excited about something that isn't there.
Old 06-09-16, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I use tire liners on only my rear tires on both my commuter bike and my touring bike, both of those should be obvious to you why just those two bikes and not my other bikes.

Regardless, how is using liners prevent me from knowing how to patch a tube? LOL.

Up in arms? settle down Francis, my first paragraph in your quote of me was simply instructions to others, you excepted because you think I don't know what I'm talking about, on how to fix a flat faster that most people don't realize can be done the way I do it and the way people use to do many many years ago.

My second paragraph was simply an opinion about latex tubes, I know a lot of people here use them, I don't care, and never said I did.

My third paragraph was again instructions on how I use to patch latex tubes, again information not meant for you because you don't like someone giving you useful instructions.

My forth paragraph was again stating an opinion in regards to cheap tubes that I have bought and my experiences with those and the problems associated with them.

So you're the one that needs to settle down and quit getting excited about something that isn't there.
Snap!

Ed got served.
Old 06-10-16, 04:46 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Muffin Man
Woah which ones and where?
They only have the 36mm valves at the moment, last time I ordered they had 60mm for $7.50 too.
Michelin A1 Aircomp Latex Road Inner Tube | ProBikeKit.com

The pink 51mm vittoria latex tubes can also be found at times under $10 on amazon. The 51mm fit in my enve 3.4's just fine. They're a little short, but I can still get the pump head on without issue.

The comical thing, I didn't even buy the tubes. You made that comment to someone else who hasn't even came back to this thread. I made a silly joke by saying "time is money" and you felt the need to lecture me about fixing a flat.

I have never not been settled down. You somehow feel the need to justify patching a tube over buying a tube. Good for you. I don't give a ****. Have a great day.

Old 06-10-16, 05:42 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I ordered new wheels from PSIMet.com for my Cannondale a few weeks ago. They arrived today. Sorry but they're still naked. Tubes/tires and cassette installed tomorrow. Then I'll put them on the bike.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 06-10-16, 05:56 PM

Bikes: Spooky Mulholland

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
New Frame........!!!!! I need to get pictures haha
Old 06-10-16, 06:28 PM
Successful alcoholic

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Pinarello X-Track frame to go with my Corima disc & 3 wheels. Velodrome as soon as the Rotor crank comes in.
Old 06-10-16, 07:32 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Snap!

Ed got served.
Was there ice cream involved?

Seriously. I didn't get served, I'm not even arguing with the guy.

Old 06-12-16, 04:27 PM

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New e-bike, a 28mph Juiced Bikes Cross Current. You should ride an ebike if you've never tried one before. They are a blast.

Old 06-12-16, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts

Seriously. I didn't get served, I'm not even arguing with the guy.
True. You are the voice of reason, and he's just getting all defensive.
Old 06-12-16, 07:54 PM
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Fresh pavement in the neighborhood.

Since I pay property taxes, I count it as a cycling-related purchase.

Love the smell of fresh asphalt!
Old 06-12-16, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 06-12-16, 08:08 PM

Bikes: Cervelo S1

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a Stages power meter and a 520 to go with it.
Time to take this whole cycling thing serious.
Old 06-12-16, 08:28 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest

have fun cleaning the little tar spots off your frame!
Old 06-12-16, 08:29 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ohheyitzjon
Congrats!! But...I'm going to just use my Kickr snap until the Cycleops Hammer comes out!
Old 06-12-16, 09:00 PM

Bikes: 2011 Spec Allez w/ new stuff, 2019 Stumpjumper ST Alloy

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SRAM 11-28 10spd cassette. Should have done this earlier, it's all hills where I live.
Old 06-13-16, 06:47 AM

LOL! It's funny how peoples smellers are so vastly different, I can't stand the smell of fresh asphalt...and if I'm around it too long it will actually give me a headache! But I do like the looks of a fresh asphalt road.
Old 06-13-16, 07:12 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5233 Post(s)
Liked 3,601 Times in 2,355 Posts
Fresh pavement in the neighborhood.Since I pay property taxes, I count it as a cycling-related purchase!
brilliant!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.