Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hot r Not

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hot r Not

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-18, 08:31 AM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Sorry, but it's only a Litespeed. Ti for the masses.
I get the attempt here, it cuts him down an notch and opens a door to potentially post your bike- 2 birds 1 stone right there.

but your dismissive comment that litespeed is titanium for the masses is akin to claiming Cannondale is aluminum for the masses or that trek and specialized are carbon for the masses.

yup- its all correct- they are aluminum and carbon for the masses. Being dismissive of it is absurd though and thats the logical conclusion to your comment.
Old 09-25-18, 08:44 AM
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by canyoneagle
<sigh>
Why would you assume no pedals?
That weight is as built, which includes pedals.
As stated before, much of the stated weight difference is build choice, so it is not just frameset weight. Again this difference is (at most) 3 pounds.

Time to get off this crazy train.
because you did not mention pedals in your post. That is a very good weight then but still over 4 pounds heavier. Typical steel bike would be around 22 and up really. I’m surprised because I thought that frame was big...what size is it?. I think your scale might be off since your fondo was just over eighteen. I had a fondo but with 105 and it was around 20 or 21 I think. Quite heavy for carbon but it was the entry level fondo
Old 09-25-18, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi

I think your scale might be off
I think the scale at your shop might be off.
Old 09-25-18, 09:18 AM
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I think the scale at your shop might be off.
But remember - MyTi has "full rim brakes". People forget that.
Old 09-25-18, 09:21 AM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts

because you did not mention pedals in your post. That is a very good weight then but still over 4 pounds heavier. Typical steel bike would be around 22 and up really. I’m surprised because I thought that frame was big...what size is it?. I think your scale might be off since your fondo was just over eighteen. I had a fondo but with 105 and it was around 20 or 21 I think. Quite heavy for carbon but it was the entry level fondo
You're surprised because you are ignoring the obvious (and continuing to believe that your bike actually weighs 16 lbs., which it does not). One of the reasons canyoneagle's bike is so light is that he is using a light groupset. Chorus is lighter than Ultegra R8000 by over 200 grams (https://ccache.cc/blogs/newsroom/201...ght-comparison). And you don't even have full Ultegra 6700 on your bike, let alone R8000. Your wheels are not light either regardless of the material used to produce the rims.
Old 09-25-18, 09:24 AM

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts

Spec sheet for the Fuji. 18.3 lbs. Mine was a 60cm so probably heavier, but I put lighter wheels on it, and my scale (which is accurate) showed what it showed, and I have no reason to believe it is wrong.
https://archive.fujibikes.com/archive...modelyear=2012

Top end steel bikes, even in the 80's, were commonly 19.5-21 pounds. Again, do the math. Start with frameset weight and go from there. It's not rocket science. The EL-OS tubeset on my frame (62.5cm) is one of the lighter steel tubesets made, so it only follows that it will result in a relatively light frame. My frame is 4.8 lbs, fork is 1.4. For apples to apples, compare any other frameset with that, and you have your delta, given same build - take the variables out to get a real comparison.

Choose to believe what you want, deny everything else. There is nothing I can do to change that.

Last edited by canyoneagle; 09-25-18 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-25-18, 09:31 AM
6-4 Titanium

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Choose to believe what you want, deny everything else. There is nothing I can do to change that.
i don’t know why people are getting in on this conversation I spoke to you about Ti vs steel in general before. It’s a preference thing I get it but makes no sense why you chose a heavier option.

All i I was pointing out is the general advantage of most Ti frames over steel is that it is lighter. You prefer steel and that should be the end of the conversation. I don’t think it will ever see 16 pounds on a professional scale but 20 pounds is very light for steel and am surprised. Amazing feat really given the size of that frame and awesome build.
Old 09-25-18, 10:30 AM

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

i don’t know why people are getting in on this conversation I spoke to you about Ti vs steel in general before. It’s a preference thing I get it but makes no sense why you chose a heavier option.

All i I was pointing out is the general advantage of most Ti frames over steel is that it is lighter. You prefer steel and that should be the end of the conversation. I don’t think it will ever see 16 pounds on a professional scale but 20 pounds is very light for steel and am surprised. Amazing feat really given the size of that frame and awesome build.

Not the vibe you've been putting out thus far, as there's an implied (or obvious) "you are wrong" or "I don't believe you" with most of it.
My mistake was not seeing it for the trolling it is.
You've got a great bike. enjoy it!

Last edited by canyoneagle; 09-25-18 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-25-18, 10:47 AM

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts

Internet mob. I can sense that a lot of people on this forum harbor a rather nasty dislike for you and your posts. I can see it. You pretend to be oblivious. But that's internet for ya.
Old 09-25-18, 11:06 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc SRAM eTap

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I came here to see Hot bikes.......
Old 09-25-18, 11:13 AM

Bikes: '12 Felt Z85, '22 Canyon Neuron, '23 Lynskey Pro 29

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Capo72
I came here to see Hot bikes.......
Wrong thread.... Try this one:

Post Your Titaniums
Old 09-25-18, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I get the attempt here, it cuts him down an notch and opens a door to potentially post your bike- 2 birds 1 stone right there.

but your dismissive comment that litespeed is titanium for the masses is akin to claiming Cannondale is aluminum for the masses or that trek and specialized are carbon for the masses.

yup- its all correct- they are aluminum and carbon for the masses. Being dismissive of it is absurd though and thats the logical conclusion to your comment.
Don't need any sort of door to post my bike. I didn't because it's not hot, just like his ti for the masses ride.
Old 09-25-18, 11:14 AM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
R+E Cycles in Seattle can build a 13.5 lb steel road bike.

https://rodbikes.com/catalog/outlaw/outlaw-main.html

True Temper S3 tubing isn't cheap. I have a 15.9 lb fixed gear built from the stuff.

-Tim-
Old 09-25-18, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by TimothyH
R+E Cycles in Seattle can build a 13.5 lb steel road bike.

https://rodbikes.com/catalog/outlaw/outlaw-main.html

True Temper S3 tubing isn't cheap. I have a 15.9 lb fixed gear built from the stuff.

-Tim-
Sweet!!!!
Old 09-25-18, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Spec sheet for the Fuji. 18.3 lbs. Mine was a 60cm so probably heavier, but I put lighter wheels on it, and my scale (which is accurate) showed what it showed, and I have no reason to believe it is wrong.
Print Bike Page - 2012 Gran Fondo 2.0

Top end steel bikes, even in the 80's, were commonly 19.5-21 pounds. Again, do the math. Start with frameset weight and go from there. It's not rocket science. The EL-OS tubeset on my frame (62.5cm) is one of the lighter steel tubesets made, so it only follows that it will result in a relatively light frame. My frame is 4.8 lbs, fork is 1.4. For apples to apples, compare any other frameset with that, and you have your delta, given same build - take the variables out to get a real comparison.

My 84 56cm Lotus Legend Compe/Columbus SL frame/fork weighed 6.12lbs on the post office scales with the headset and BB installed. Same for the rest of my old steel frames/forks. They are within 1.5lbs of the Lotus. They all were weighed with their stock headsets/BBs still installed. People talk about how much lighter the carbon frames are. You are not going to save much without light components.
Old 09-25-18, 12:06 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
It’s a preference thing I get it but makes no sense why you chose a heavier option.
Possible reasons for someone to choose steel over ti.

- specific geometry for a handbuilt bike. Steel is typically less expensive, even handbuilt and the geometry will match the rider instead of off the peg ti frames.
- classic look. Some like the traditional and OS sized steel tubes compared to the typically larger ti tubes.
- traditional construction. Some like the look of lugged frames and dont want welds.
- negligible weight difference. Some dont care about the pound or whatever difference between quality steel and stock titanium frames.
- cost. Typically, steel frames cost less than titanium.

There are 5 real possible reasons. So now you know they very much exist(you already did, but thats another issue) and can stop asking why someone has a steel frame when titanium is lighter.
Read the reasons, commit them to memory, and stop asking.
Old 09-25-18, 12:23 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
No, people want you off here because you keep derailing the thread and posting nonsense.
Old 09-25-18, 12:24 PM

Well I've said some cold hard truths about chinese made frames(carbon or otherwise) so I'm sure there are many that want me off here especially the big carbon company sales teams posing as customers.

Truth hurts however. Look, I can't feel good about spending a premium on a bike frame knowing that it was manufactured in some random chinese factory...with possible child slave labor involved and most certainly by human beings like us getting paid virtually nothing/slave wages a month so they won't starve to death.
Where do you think the titanium used for your bike came from?
Old 09-25-18, 12:26 PM
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
60 or 80 lbs overweight. Drops kitted out 50 year olds like they're standing still. Rides $300.00 carbon clinchers from Amazon. Enemy of the big carbon sales teams that want him off of bikeforums. Champion of the slaves that built nearly everybody elses bikes. Truth teller.

Oh, I almost forgot about the carbon fork and full rim brakes. People forget about the carbon fork and full rim brakes.

EDIT: You must also be trying to keep out of the spotlight of big hot bike. You know, the ones that push this whole "aesthetically pleasing bike" thing. I only say this because your bike is not hot.

Last edited by growlerdinky; 09-25-18 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-25-18, 12:56 PM

I will get the thread back on track. This bike will not get a hot because it is old and basically is the opposite of what the thread is about. Heck, I don't even have a garage door in the photo. But, just for MyTi, this bike weighs 21.5 as it is. That includes the stealth triple, the big A cassette, the heavy saddle and those pedals.
Old 09-25-18, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by seypat

I will get the thread back on track. This bike will not get a hot because it is old and basically is the opposite of what the thread is about. Heck, I don't even have a garage door in the photo. But, just for MyTi, this bike weighs 21.5 as it is. That includes the stealth triple, the big A cassette, the heavy saddle and those pedals.
Are those old Lyotard pedals, or modern replicas?

That saddle is heavy, but it's a great shape.
Old 09-25-18, 01:06 PM

Are those old Lyotard pedals, or modern replicas?

That saddle is heavy, but it's a great shape.
The pedals are MKS Urban designed on the style of the Lyotard you are talking about. The saddle is a brand new Selle Turbo. They are reselling the old style. I bought 2 of them on a sale last year for about $35 each. Slapped it on and did a century. That is why I ride those old style saddles. Who cares how much they weigh. It usually has 52/42/30 rings and a smaller cassette. I am a bad climber, probably the worst on BF. That is the SOTR ride setup. A 50/36/28 crankset and bigger cassette on the back.

Last edited by seypat; 09-25-18 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-25-18, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by seypat
The pedals are MKS Urban designed on the style of the Lyotard you are talking about. The saddle is a brand new Selle Turbo. They are reselling the old style. I bought 2 of them on a sale last year for about $35 each. Slapped it on and did a century. That is why I ride those old style saddles. Who cares how much they weigh.
Rotate those bars up a bit and they'll probably be more comfortable.
Old 09-25-18, 01:28 PM

Rotate those bars up a bit and they'll probably be more comfortable.
I ride plenty in the drops. To be honest though, that setup came about as a mistake. As is tradition with me and some of the others in C & V, we fix up a different bike each year and ride SOTR. I got the bike finished for the ride, did a shakedown ride to see everything worked, then threw it in my car the night before the drive to the ride. I forgot about adjusting the bars before the ride and it was perfect. So, they have stayed the same since.
Old 09-25-18, 03:31 PM
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Easily recognizing unreasonableness is not in his wheelhouse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.