Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Weight loss - Alcohol - finding balance....

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Weight loss - Alcohol - finding balance....

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-17, 12:25 PM
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Beer is also a common gateway drug to chicken wings, mozzarella sticks, jalepeno poppers and other calorie dense bar food.
Old 11-01-17, 01:38 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,485 Times in 1,442 Posts
I've found that I can change my diet if I don't try to do anything drastic. Cut back, don't cut out. If you really want to cut something out, do it gradually. At this point, my diet is pretty good. I eat mostly fresh whole foods and barely any alcohol at all, around one beer or wine per week. As I cut back on things I enjoy, the cravings go down. This is what works for me and may not work for others.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-01-17, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY

For my part, I find I get by fine with a single, or rarely, two martinis in the evening vs the 3-4 beers I would have drunk.
This makes sense as a single Martini or Gin on the rocks, etc. is probably going to "take the edge off your day" a little quicker than the 3-4 beers. (Hence only having one or possibly two).

Damn...the craft beer which I enjoy and is hugely popular right now is about 175 calories per 12oz for an IPA. This is versus 60-75 calories for a Vodka or Gin on the rocks or Martini.

It was also mentioned to do away with the beer during dinner. Good point!
Old 11-01-17, 02:54 PM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I've found that I can change my diet if I don't try to do anything drastic. Cut back, don't cut out. If you really want to cut something out, do it gradually. At this point, my diet is pretty good. I eat mostly fresh whole foods and barely any alcohol at all, around one beer or wine per week. As I cut back on things I enjoy, the cravings go down. This is what works for me and may not work for others.
This is a good statement, seems logical and doable!
Old 11-01-17, 03:09 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Discovering good local craft beer has cut way back on my beer drinking. I'm pickier now. Pretty much the only time I can drink a cheap beer like Busch, Lone Star or Miller is with Mexican food, BBQ or pizza. Otherwise I'd rather skip the beer completely.

Best thing the nearest grocery store could do was eliminate its craft beer selection several months ago. That meant a 20 mile round trip bike ride to the next nearest store with a good selection of craft beers.

Worst thing the nearest grocery store did recently was to start carrying New Belgium beers besides Fat Tire. I dislike Fat Tire -- tastes like leather marinated in steak sauce. But Voodoo Ranger and Citradelic are delicious, both very similar to some of the best local craft beers. So now I buy a 12 pack and try to make it last a couple of weeks, just sipping one a night.

I'd bet most of my empty calories still come from eating carbs when I'm not burning 'em off with a bike ride. But until my weight climbs back closer to 165 I don't worry about it.
Old 11-01-17, 03:14 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5796 Post(s)
Liked 2,610 Times in 1,448 Posts
Originally Posted by KDTX
This makes sense as a single Martini or Gin on the rocks, etc. is probably going to "take the edge off your day" a little quicker than the 3-4 beers. (Hence only having one or possibly two).

Damn...the craft beer which I enjoy and is hugely popular right now is about 175 calories per 12oz for an IPA. This is versus 60-75 calories for a Vodka or Gin on the rocks or Martini.

It was also mentioned to do away with the beer during dinner. Good point!
I tend to do a decent job managing my weight within a band of 20 pounds or so. When it begins to creep up I tighten up slightly, usually only cutting out (or back) on one thing ie. nightly ice cream, or shift to a more careful lunch.

My key to not feeling like I'm dieting is to use what I call the satisfaction index. Meaning the amount of any food (in calories or volume) that it takes to feel satisfied. That's the logic behind good hard liquors vs. beer.

But even with beers, I doubt anyone would tend to drink as much Guinness Stout as Bud Light. IMO most of the major brews are designed not to satisfy, the intent being that you finish off a six pack at one sitting.

I apply the same rules to all foods, finding that stronger flavored foods tend to satisfy sooner, ie. nobody eats cheeses like Roquefort or very sharp Cheddars in the same qualtity as they would a mild Swiss or Cheddar.

So, while most people dieting give up things they really like, I do the exact opposite, eating ONLY what I really like, and giving up stuff I don't care about. What I cut back on mostly are the high carb snacks, such as potato chips, and when I do eat them I make sure to buy smaller bags, because I've learned that I'll eat an entire bag and stop regardless of size.

So, don't give up those craft beers, just determine to on a limit, say 2 at a time, 3 times a week, and stay away from the potato chips, onion rings and fries when drinking them, unless you're going to call that dinner, which is what I'll do from time to time.

If you work it right you won't feel your giving up anything at all, just trading stuff off and managing it more carefully. When thinking about a snack or the extra beer, ask yourself do you really want it, and what you'd have to do to offset it. In short ask yourself if it's

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 11-01-17 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-01-17, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
There's a lot of wisdom in FBinNY's post directly above. I found myself nodding my head several times. He gives a perfect example of what I mean by "everything in moderation ... including moderation."
Old 11-01-17, 06:32 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,485 Times in 1,442 Posts
Right. Now that I eat more high quality foods, I don't like the lower quality stuff as much. I only eat fries a few times a year, when they're homemade, like when I make them myself. Crappy frozen fries from a restaurant aren't worth it to me.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-01-17, 06:54 PM

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Hi all

After reading a recent weight loss thread, most comments tend to yield great results from quitting alcohol. It has been a while since I have been training and would like to get back into race shape.

I really think I could benefit from cutting back on the beers, casual drinking, etc. Right now, instead of grabbing water or tea with dinner, it's a beer. Then a few beers on Friday night, and then a few more on Saturday night, then off course there is Sunday Football with the buddies. It seems like this viscous cycle continues. Obviously, then when the beers go in, fried food, pizza, chicken wings go in.... You get the point.

I'd like to ask how others have cut back/quit etc. and what works for you.
While I used to drink 2 beers a night
1. I stopped having any the night before VO2max Mondays (usually 3x10 or 4x10 at 110% of FTP, but I still liked the alliteration) because those can cause nausea and skipping beer made them feel less bad.
2. I stopped having any before Threshold Thursdays (95% for 1:00-1:15) because I had high hopes after abstaining made VO2Max Mondays feel better. I felt fresher and kept at it.
3. I stopped having any before Not Short Saturdays (3-5 hours) and found that gave me more energy.
4. I was waking up better rested for my morning rides before sunrise those three days a week, so I skipped beer on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday night too. I also woke up better rested those days.
5. I felt two beers more Saturday night than I used to, that became one, dropped to half I didn't feel, and I now go months without having any.

Also, what process do you go through when the buddies want to meet at a sports bar to watch the game?
I quit having any beers when driving in my 20s. A couple friends lost their licenses, two beers got me within a hair's breadth of Colorado's 0.05% Driving While Ability Impaired law, and I decided it wasn't prudent - I suspected one English pint of west coast style IPA or American strong ale would be enough to cross that limit.

Everyone accepted a simple no answer to "Do you want a beer" when I was driving, and did the same regardless of how I got to where I was socializing.

I also agree with FB about limiting oneself to better food which is more satisfying in smaller quantities.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 11-01-17 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-01-17, 08:53 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 1,947 Times in 1,391 Posts
I also find alcohol bad from both a performance and weight gain standpoint. That said, I always have a craft beer and half my wife's after our Sunday group ride. I've checked, and it takes two 20 oz. beers to put me at my state's limit, .08. Beer instantly cuts the post-ride pain in my legs, plus it's a jovial celebration kind of thing. But that and wine with dinner when we have company is the only alcohol I drink. I'm thinking about switching to Coke on Sunday because every Monday morning I've gained weight even after blowing through 1K-2K calories on the ride. But so far, I haven't.

Back when I was in the Army in Germany, I once kept a tally and found that I averaged about 1 gallon of good German beer per day. But I was a kid and I worked it off.
Old 11-02-17, 05:11 AM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I've checked, and it takes two 20 oz. beers to put me at my state's limit, .08.
I'm sure you do, but pay attention to the alcohol percentage in that beer. It can vary wildly from your average American swill @ 4% to a tasty Victory Golden Monkey @ 9.5% to the absurdly alcoholic yet easy drinking Dogfish Head Raison D'Extra @ 18%: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64/3089/
Old 11-02-17, 10:00 AM
just another gosling

Originally Posted by joejack951
I'm sure you do, but pay attention to the alcohol percentage in that beer. It can vary wildly from your average American swill @ 4% to a tasty Victory Golden Monkey @ 9.5% to the absurdly alcoholic yet easy drinking Dogfish Head Raison D'Extra @ 18%: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64/3089/
Very true. That's why I keep a breathalyzer in the glove box of my car. My wife would drive if I were over. I got that idea from a party I attended at a friend's house. She had a breathalyzer sitting on a table by the front door and sleeping facilities for those who didn't make the cut. Very good idea.
Old 11-02-17, 11:36 AM

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Weight loss with a reduced alcoholic intake (example only 3 beers a week)

compared to:

Weight loss with complete abstinence from alcoholic beverages.
Difference between 3 beers and none in a week is probably not going to be noticeable. There are some other effects of alcohol on the body but for just weight loss that isnt much carbs but depends. I've been big on hard ciders this year and had one with dinner last night, usually Stella Cidre or Angry Orchard Easy Apple or Stone Dry, all pretty modest calories if you have only one. Last night was Easy Apple which is only 150 calories. I'd sooner cut out an extra cookie or slice of bread/dinner roll or fried/candied food and enjoy the beverage. If you can't handle self control though, and 2 beers/week ends up being a case, well then cut out the 3 beer plan.

I think it was Dr Maffetones book on endurance training and racing that actually suggested to skip water during a meal (and 30 minutes or something like that before & after) but ok to have a nice glass of fermented and dry wine. Water actually dilutes stomach acid and hinders digestion, though seems many folks get this backwards. I don't think beer was mentioned, but as a fermented beverage I'd assume it aids in digestion too (in moderation) and the unfiltered and richer types probably have some phytonutrients and antioxidants as well.

Originally Posted by joejack951
That's interesting... I had been a fan of Raison D'Etre but seems they stopped making it some time ago. I'll have to look out for the "D'Extra" version
Old 11-02-17, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by T Stew
Difference between 3 beers and none in a week is probably not going to be noticeable. There are some other effects of alcohol on the body but for just weight loss that isnt much carbs but depends. I've been big on hard ciders this year and had one with dinner last night, usually Stella Cidre or Angry Orchard Easy Apple or Stone Dry, all pretty modest calories if you have only one. Last night was Easy Apple which is only 150 calories. I'd sooner cut out an extra cookie or slice of bread/dinner roll or fried/candied food and enjoy the beverage. If you can't handle self control though, and 2 beers/week ends up being a case, well then cut out the 3 beer plan.

I think it was Dr Maffetones book on endurance training and racing that actually suggested to skip water during a meal (and 30 minutes or something like that before & after) but ok to have a nice glass of fermented and dry wine. Water actually dilutes stomach acid and hinders digestion, though seems many folks get this backwards. I don't think beer was mentioned, but as a fermented beverage I'd assume it aids in digestion too (in moderation) and the unfiltered and richer types probably have some phytonutrients and antioxidants as well.

That's interesting... I had been a fan of Raison D'Etre but seems they stopped making it some time ago. I'll have to look out for the "D'Extra" version
No. If your stomach contents are too osmotic, your body will just draw water into the stomach to dilute it.
Old 11-02-17, 08:42 PM
just another gosling

Looking at the comments on this thread, all I can say is that my experience is quite different vis a vis weight gain. If I have 2 beers, I'll have gained a pound the next morning. Wine has a similar effect per unit alcohol. If I keep it up, I keep gaining, though not so quickly. When our bike rides ended at a Redhook brewpub, I'd have a porter. Off their website, that's 166 calories for 12 oz. or 221 for a pint pour, of which (the 16 oz.) 80 calories would be carbs and 8 protein, the other 133 then being alcohol.

So beats me, but there it is. For me, alcoholic beverages = weight gain. Plus, I'll have noticeably slower legs or less endurance the next day after drinking alcohol. Thus for me, the rule of "no alcohol" while in training makes a lot of sense.
Old 11-03-17, 07:51 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
If possible, please include what tips you have tried to reduce intake, moderate, or abstinence in general. Is it possible to see this weight loss with a reduction or is it through complete abstinence?
My trick is when I first want one, put it off until after I've done something else that I have planned. Maybe I'll want it then, maybe not - make that procrastination thing work for me. I once had a six-pack in the fridge for six months like that, but I'm not that extreme these days.
Old 11-03-17, 02:58 PM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY

So, while most people dieting give up things they really like, I do the exact opposite, eating ONLY what I really like, and giving up stuff I don't care about. What I cut back on mostly are the high carb snacks, such as potato chips, and when I do eat them I make sure to buy smaller bags, because I've learned that I'll eat an entire bag and stop regardless of size.

So, don't give up those craft beers, just determine to on a limit, say 2 at a time, 3 times a week, and stay away from the potato chips, onion rings and fries when drinking them, unless you're going to call that dinner, which is what I'll do from time to time.
I like this train of thought. I do think there are quite a few "middle of the road" food items that I can do away with and not miss them.

I do think I can apply some of these tips throughout the week to reduce the volume while still be able to enjoy a beer ot two.

I am trying to get all of this mentally set-up now, so when I roll into my diet and training program, I have a workable plan.

One thought I have been toying with is giving myself a weekly calorie limit of alcoholic beverages. I haven't seen anything like that mentioned here. I feel this would create a mindset of "hey, I am allowed to have that, just one or two though". It would also free up some options and not limit the diet to just say vodka and gin. I'm thinking 500 calories/ week for starters and seeing how that goes. I'm thinking those beverages would be a little more carefully chosen as well. Thoughts?...
Old 11-03-17, 03:10 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
The main reason why I cut out regular beer drinking was because it seems to promote fat gain. I think the reason it promotes fat gain is not just because of calories in beer but because majority of beers contain hops and they are highly estrogenic.
Old 11-03-17, 03:29 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5796 Post(s)
Liked 2,610 Times in 1,448 Posts
I like this train of thought. I do think there are quite a few "middle of the road" food items that I can do away with and not miss them.

I do think I can apply some of these tips throughout the week to reduce the volume while still be able to enjoy a beer ot two.

I am trying to get all of this mentally set-up now, so when I roll into my diet and training program, I have a workable plan.

One thought I have been toying with is giving myself a weekly calorie limit of alcoholic beverages. I haven't seen anything like that mentioned here. I feel this would create a mindset of "hey, I am allowed to have that, just one or two though". It would also free up some options and not limit the diet to just say vodka and gin. I'm thinking 500 calories/ week for starters and seeing how that goes. I'm thinking those beverages would be a little more carefully chosen as well. Thoughts?...
There's no one answer except that no diet will succeed long term if you feel deprived. So the trick is to find the little things that make it work for you. I've done well using the satisfaction index, along with some awareness of having to make cuts here and there. But you have to take all the suggestions here and elsewhere and craft something that works for you, which may be very different.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-03-17, 04:30 PM
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I lost about 50 pounds with an app called calorific where everything you eat is either red (bad), yellow (ok) or green (good). The game is to consume less than 10% of your calories from red and more than 50% of your calories from green. It's not super-precise, but that's not really the point. Since alcohol is red, one normal drink would use up nearly all my red calories for the day. Years later I no longer use the app, but I'm still in the habit of mentally accounting for my daily red calories and would still rather spend them on other bad stuff. You could just as easily spend your red calories on alcohol as a cookie.
Old 11-03-17, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I think it's worth a try. There are universals to this like calories in have to be less than calories out, that works for everyone no matter who you are. But how to accomplish that is really individual, what works for one person can be madness to the next guy. That sounds pretty reasonable, for what it's worth.

Weigh yourself (once a day, once a week, it doesn't matter) regularly, in the morning, nekkid, and watch the trend over time. Adjust as necessary.
Old 11-03-17, 06:58 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Coor's NA is my choice following a good ride. Have tried a bunch of NA beers and Lights but they just don't satisfy my beer taste buds.
is there any difference between Coors NA and Coors?
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 11-04-17, 05:10 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
is there any difference between Coors NA and Coors?
Honestly, as far as taste, it's been so long since I had a reg. Coor's and my taste buds have change, so ********** I'd suggest a try. Used to drink O'Doul's NA for a long time then tried Coor's and made the switch.
Old 11-05-17, 11:36 AM
just another gosling

Way back, when I was in the Army at a small outstation in Germany, our EM club manager changed. He inventoried stock and saw no American beer, only German, which he thought unpatriotic. So he ordered cases of various brands (this was in 1997) through Army supply. No one drank them. Finally he piled all the American cases in the middle of the floor and put a FREE sign on them. I tried one and found it tasted the way I imagined horse piss might taste. No one drank them, even for free. Yeah, soldiers who wouldn't drink free beer! I don't know what happened to those cases but eventually they disappeared.

So that's my take on the whole American light beer thing. Water's simply better tasting and better for you.
Old 11-05-17, 12:05 PM

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
While in Vietnam, Amercan beer, in steel cans back then, arrived rusty as all get out. Off compound and in Saigon we preferred Biere Larue. It was bottled and warm so it was poured over ice and was still better than the beer back at our compound.

These days I much prefer craft beers for both flavor and the opportunity to check out new brews.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.