Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Today I (v2):

Old 05-28-16, 07:48 PM
  #17951  
rex615
canis lupus familiaris
 
rex615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,254

Bikes: En plus one

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet Bromies.

Maybe they select the ones with the prettiest welds to get the "Raw" finish.
rex615 is offline  
Old 05-28-16, 07:55 PM
  #17952  
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Posts: 7,883

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
You guys are reading too much into what I typed.
I don't think I am. When you say that acknowledging his existence is "more than", by default you are saying that not believing is "less than".

Why use the word "More" instead of "Different"?

Last edited by SquidPuppet; 05-28-16 at 08:03 PM.
SquidPuppet is offline  
Old 05-28-16, 08:37 PM
  #17953  
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 11,185

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
At least you acknowledge that he exists which is more than most people are able to do.
We need to be careful with our choice of words here, especially because these kinds of arguments can become pedantic real quick.

At the risk of doing that (being pedantic), I would agree with Squid that phrasing your sentence like this sort of implies that you're correct, which alienates people who don't believe what you do.
Also, there's a sub-forum for this kind of discussion, and it's inappropriate to continue discussing it here. I'll admit to participating in the conversation earlier, for which I apologize because now I sound like a hypocrite.

Let's back off on the G-O-D talk people, or better yet, take it here:

http://www.bikeforums.net/politics-religion/
__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste

Last edited by TMonk; 05-28-16 at 09:19 PM. Reason: typos
TMonk is offline  
Old 05-28-16, 08:59 PM
  #17954  
Kindaslow
Senior Member
 
Kindaslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Seattlish
Posts: 2,752

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TMonk, funny how they put politics and religion together. Both are topics that bring out the best and worst in good people.
Kindaslow is offline  
Old 05-28-16, 09:04 PM
  #17955  
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED
 
Leukybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 12,679

Bikes: Rock Lobster; EAI Bareknuckle; Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Notice how that's an anagram for D-O-G; we should therefore treat our canine friends with the same compassion or else face consequences.
__________________
pɐǝɹ oʇ sᴉ sᴉɥʇ ƃuᴉʎouuɐ ʍoɥ ǝǝs

Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Leukybear is offline  
Old 05-28-16, 09:16 PM
  #17956  
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 11,185

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow View Post
TMonk, funny how they put politics and religion together. Both are topics that bring out the best and worst in good people.
That's exactly right. As you might imagine, it's a total ****show in there. It puts a heavy demand on the volunteer moderation staff for sure. Most of the time it's pretty entertaining reading some of the crap that people post, but sometimes it just makes me tired lol.
__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste
TMonk is offline  
Old 05-28-16, 09:24 PM
  #17957  
franswa
Senior Member
 
franswa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SATX
Posts: 1,595
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The man(or woman) upstairs does ride freewheel after all!
franswa is offline  
Old 05-28-16, 09:39 PM
  #17958  
Kindaslow
Senior Member
 
Kindaslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Seattlish
Posts: 2,752

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by franswa View Post
The man(or woman) upstairs does ride freewheel after all!
Or, freehub?
Kindaslow is offline  
Old 05-28-16, 09:41 PM
  #17959  
Kindaslow
Senior Member
 
Kindaslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Seattlish
Posts: 2,752

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear View Post
Notice how that's an anagram for D-O-G; we should therefore treat our canine friends with the same compassion or else face consequences.
That is easy, most of the dogs in my life are sweet and lovable....
Kindaslow is offline  
Old 05-28-16, 09:43 PM
  #17960  
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED
 
Leukybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 12,679

Bikes: Rock Lobster; EAI Bareknuckle; Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow View Post
That is easy, most of the dogs in my life are sweet and lovable....
This world would be a much better place if everything worked out that way.


On topic, today I scored myself the last set of USA made imperial short sockets at sears. #becausecars
__________________
pɐǝɹ oʇ sᴉ sᴉɥʇ ƃuᴉʎouuɐ ʍoɥ ǝǝs

Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Leukybear is offline  
Old 05-28-16, 10:11 PM
  #17961  
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 11,185

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear View Post
This world would be a much better place if everything worked out that way.
For us, maybe, but not everyone is sweet and lovable like us
__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste
TMonk is offline  
Old 05-29-16, 12:42 AM
  #17962  
hairnet
Fresh Garbage
 
hairnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 13,196

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk View Post
That's exactly right. As you might imagine, it's a total ****show in there. It puts a heavy demand on the volunteer moderation staff for sure. Most of the time it's pretty entertaining reading some of the crap that people post, but sometimes it just makes me tired lol.
I never ventured there when I was a mod.
hairnet is offline  
Old 05-29-16, 06:37 AM
  #17963  
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Posts: 11,147

Bikes: 29 frames + 72 wheels

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet View Post
I never ventured there when I was a mod.
All the mods that go there are communist atheists.
__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
TejanoTrackie is offline  
Old 05-29-16, 09:46 AM
  #17964  
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner
 
Mumonkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Bad Woods.
Posts: 8,806
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yesterday i got my bike back

last night i put on a thomson masterpiece post, ****ring, stem, and crabon barz

today i tested out the new setup, and its full on racerboy mode now. probably lost around pound of weight, its noticeable

felt great to just tear ass on some dirt again today, ive never been so connected to a bike before this thing is an extension of my body now
Mumonkan is offline  
Old 05-29-16, 10:37 AM
  #17965  
SpeshulEd 
Senior Member
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,089
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow View Post
Bought a folding bike today. I have been looking at them for quite awhile. Got a Brompton with the lacquer finish, so you can see the welds. And, it might be a one-of-a-kind, given they never sold this color with all black parts. And, it fits into the trunk of my FRS with room to spare.
A Brompton is on my wishlist...there's a huge group of Brompton riders in Tempe, they call themselves the Brompton Mafia. The fact that you can bring them on a plane with you as carryon luggage pretty much sealed the deal of me wanting them. Being able to travel with your bike everywhere you go sounds super rad.

Originally Posted by Leukybear View Post
Notice how that's an anagram for D-O-G; we should therefore treat our canine friends with the same compassion or else face consequences.
I aspire to be the person my dog thinks I am.
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline  
Old 05-29-16, 03:18 PM
  #17966  
TenSpeedV2
Senior Member
 
TenSpeedV2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,349

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I did Bike The Drive in Chicago on my fixed gear. It's the only day you can legally ride your bike on the outer drive of the city along the lake. Passed a lot of Fred's on Shiv's and Cervelo TT bikes, and a few in a pace line, doing like 10 mph all kitted up. I had to laugh. Friday I did Critical Mass here and ended up leading the fairly big group down Broadway. I had no idea where I was going but everyone up front thought I was the leader. It was a blast, and I got soaked because we got dumped on and I had a really long ride back to my sisters place.
TenSpeedV2 is offline  
Old 05-30-16, 08:16 AM
  #17967  
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SF
Posts: 10,474

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got an expensive speeding ticket this morning.
With court date... I dun goofed lol.
Nagrom_ is offline  
Old 05-30-16, 08:17 AM
  #17968  
Unkle Rico
Senior Member
 
Unkle Rico's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: dEnVeR
Posts: 1,684

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope it wasnt triple digits!
Unkle Rico is offline  
Old 05-30-16, 09:28 AM
  #17969  
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner
 
Mumonkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Bad Woods.
Posts: 8,806
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
Got an expensive speeding ticket this morning.
With court date... I dun goofed lol.
lol been there.

byebye $600
Mumonkan is offline  
Old 05-30-16, 09:30 AM
  #17970  
Kindaslow
Senior Member
 
Kindaslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Seattlish
Posts: 2,752

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
Got an expensive speeding ticket this morning.
With court date... I dun goofed lol.
If there is any way on earth you can pay a lawyer to deal with it, it is worth it long term. I rode sport bikes for years, and the only reason I have a license is that the system does not care what you have done, it just says wants some money. And, there are lawyers who specialize in this.
Kindaslow is offline  
Old 05-30-16, 09:52 AM
  #17971  
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SF
Posts: 10,474

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Unkle Rico View Post
I hope it wasnt triple digits!
Triple digits with a few extra boxes checked.
Said the only reason I wasn't in jail is because I pulled over immediately.

They were quick about it too, I was/am currently late for work.
Nagrom_ is offline  
Old 05-30-16, 10:06 AM
  #17972  
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D
 
SquidPuppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Coeur d' Alene
Posts: 7,883

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
Triple digits with a few extra boxes checked.
Said the only reason I wasn't in jail is because I pulled over immediately.

They were quick about it too, I was/am currently late for work.
Ouch. That'll be a fatty.
SquidPuppet is offline  
Old 05-30-16, 10:10 AM
  #17973  
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner
 
Mumonkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Bad Woods.
Posts: 8,806
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
Triple digits with a few extra boxes checked.
Said the only reason I wasn't in jail is because I pulled over immediately.

They were quick about it too, I was/am currently late for work.
basically the same scenario i had, guy was nice about it because i wasnt just another ***hole on a street bike

they like it when you actually cooperate
Mumonkan is offline  
Old 05-30-16, 01:15 PM
  #17974  
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SF
Posts: 10,474

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apparently my bone stock corolla can do 120+ according to the officer, regardless of the 115 limit on the computer.
Nagrom_ is offline  
Old 05-30-16, 03:49 PM
  #17975  
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED
 
Leukybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 12,679

Bikes: Rock Lobster; EAI Bareknuckle; Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
Apparently my bone stock corolla can do 120+ according to the officer, regardless of the 115 limit on the computer.
Most cars today can make it to 120. Just how quickly is the real question.
__________________
pɐǝɹ oʇ sᴉ sᴉɥʇ ƃuᴉʎouuɐ ʍoɥ ǝǝs

Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Leukybear is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.