Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Over 50 performance on keto

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-07-18, 11:47 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)

Hello all. I am 54 yo and I started riding again after about 15 years off the bike last winter. At first I just put slicks on my mtn bike and rode casually until June 9. Thatís when I got a good road bike and started riding seriously again. I went from about 10 miles / week (man I was fat and out of shape!), and now Iím up to an average of 120-140 miles / week. So far Iíve lost 62 lbís! But hereís my problem. When I was just starting I would only average a dismal 9 mph. As I starting riding more miles and losing weight my average quickly got over 13. However for the last couple months I havenít gained any at all, in fact I may be getting slower. The only thing Iíve changed is raise my mileage and I started eating keto November 1. Could that be whatís causing my progress to halt? In my 20ís and 30ís I had an average of 18+ mph so this is a little hard to swallow.
Old 01-08-18, 01:37 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 2417 Post(s)
Originally Posted by MikeOK View Post
However for the last couple months I havenít gained any at all, in fact I may be getting slower. The only thing Iíve changed is raise my mileage and I started eating keto November 1. Could that be whatís causing my progress to halt?
Could be.

Try eating some carbs and see what happens.
Old 01-08-18, 02:54 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
The only thing Iíve changed is raise my mileage and I started eating keto November 1. Could that be whatís causing my progress to halt? In my 20ís and 30ís I had an average of 18+ mph so this is a little hard to swallow.
Are you the same weight now as you were in your 20ís? It sounds like youíre still trying to lose weight. If so, itís difficult to add power and drop weight at the same time. Once your weight is stable if you increase your training load you should start to see power go up. One other concern with regard to speed is your riding position. If youíre more upright now for whatever reason your speed will be lower.
Old 01-08-18, 04:23 AM
PaddleFoot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Hello Mike,

You can try to mix up how you ride. If you ride at the same pace all the time it seems to get counter-productive, and after I've added some different types of workouts, I feel much stronger than I did while riding at endurance pace all the time. It is kind of amazing how an intense workout can leave you feeling great as opposed to just tired. As stated, bike fit is dynamic and very important.

Good luck to you,
Old 01-08-18, 05:54 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
What's keto?
Old 01-08-18, 08:26 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
stop looking at the speedometer
Old 01-08-18, 09:31 AM
MikeOK
Yo

Originally Posted by ironwood View Post
What's keto?
Keto is a diet thatís high in fat and very low in carbs. Itís like 85% fat, 10% protein, 5% carbs. It teaches your body to burn fat for fuel instead of carbs. Works better than anything Iíve tried for weight loss, Iíve lost an average of 4.2 lbís/week for the last 9 weeks. But Iím not so sure yet if itís good for endurance athletes.
Old 01-08-18, 09:02 PM
Planemaker

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Keto is a diet thatís high in fat and very low in carbs. Itís like 85% fat, 10% protein, 5% carbs. It teaches your body to burn fat for fuel instead of carbs. Works better than anything Iíve tried for weight loss, Iíve lost an average of 4.2 lbís/week for the last 9 weeks. But Iím not so sure yet if itís good for endurance athletes.
I am no expert by far but, to lose 4.2 pounds per week, you're calorie deficit needs to be over 2,000 calories per day. I would think at minimum, you're not giving yourself a chance to recover which will reduce your performance and at worst, you are burning muscle mass with that kind of calorie deficit.

You've lost 62 pounds in a very short time. Maybe you should dial back the weight loss a bit and see what happens.

My opinion FWIW
Old 01-08-18, 09:14 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Are you working hard enough? When I started riding again I could add miles and increase speed with delightful ease. But then the speed plateaued and settled into an average that I sort of wish was a bit higher. A few times a year I ride with brother. He's an A group rider and when we're together my speed picks up a couple mph. But I also realize I'm working a lot harder than I do on solo rides. And I'm pretty sure if I did that every ride my average would increase. That's hard to do riding alone though. You have to really want it to be able drive yourself to work harder every time you go out. Honestly, I don't want it bad enough. At least I'm enjoying the ride.
Old 01-08-18, 09:15 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post
I am no expert by far but, to lose 4.2 pounds per week, you're calorie deficit needs to be over 2,000 calories per day. I would think at minimum, you're not giving yourself a chance to recover which will reduce your performance and at worst, you are burning muscle mass with that kind of calorie deficit.

You've lost 62 pounds in a very short time. Maybe you should dial back the weight loss a bit and see what happens.

My opinion FWIW
Let me clarify, I havenít been losing weight that fast all along. I counted cals for about 5 months and lost about 24 lbís. For the last 9 weeks Iíve been on keto and have lost on average of 4.2 per week. My tdee is between 3000-4500 cals depending on how far I ride and Iím guessing I eat about 2000 or a little more. Most people on keto eat to their tdee and lose but I tried that and didnít lose an ounce, I have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight.
Old 01-08-18, 09:21 PM
Planemaker

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Let me clarify, I havenít been losing weight that fast all along. I counted cals for about 5 months and lost about 24 lbís. For the last 9 weeks Iíve been on keto and have lost on average of 4.2 per week. My tdee is between 3000-4500 cals depending on how far I ride and Iím guessing I eat about 2000 or a little more. Most people on keto eat to their tdee and lose but I tried that and didnít lose an ounce, I have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight.

I understand. I still think you are losing too much weight too fast. In addition, you are not allowing your body enough time to recover.

Again just my opinion.
Old 01-08-18, 09:45 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Originally Posted by jon c. View Post
Are you working hard enough? When I started riding again I could add miles and increase speed with delightful ease. But then the speed plateaued and settled into an average that I sort of wish was a bit higher. A few times a year I ride with brother. He's an A group rider and when we're together my speed picks up a couple mph. But I also realize I'm working a lot harder than I do on solo rides. And I'm pretty sure if I did that every ride my average would increase. That's hard to do riding alone though. You have to really want it to be able drive yourself to work harder every time you go out. Honestly, I don't want it bad enough. At least I'm enjoying the ride.
jon - Iím working pretty hard. This is a chart for a typical ride for me. My avg hr is almost always in zone 4.
Old 01-08-18, 10:00 PM
schundog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Ketogenic diet ratio is more like 70% fat, 20% protein, 10% carbs. Once you are in ketosis, your body burns fat for energy instead of glucose. This seems to run counter to what athletes are trained to consume for energy, yet there are elite athletes who do very well on the Ketogenic diet. Also contrary to conventional wisdom, it can be beneficial for heart health (high fat for heart health?!) and neurological health, even though the brain normally runs on a large amount of glucose. It's not for everybody; a lot of people (me) have a hard time giving up the carbs, and it can cause gastrointestinal distress (disaster pants...)

Congratulations on your success both on the bike and on the scale. The amount of time you have been on the Keto diet may not be long enough for your body to have completely adapted to its new energy source. Or, what the other guys said.....
Old 01-10-18, 10:06 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: Fezzari Fore CR3 Di2

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
I've been on Keto for three years. I lost 50 lbs and I eat about 20 carbs a day. I try to get 75% from fat, 20% from protein, 5% from carbs. I rode 75 miles with just a Quest bar, a kind bar, and a few macadamia nuts. I rode with a friend who is a carb burner and he was eating the entire time.
Old 01-11-18, 06:26 AM
gregf83 

Losing 4 lbs/wk is definitely not conducive to performance improvement. Are you planning on staying on Keto? Why not adjust your consumption to something closer to a long term, sustainable, amount with a deficit of 0-500 Cals/day. Your weight loss wonít be as fast but it will be a more realistic lifestyle and performance should improve.
Old 01-11-18, 08:47 AM
MikeOK
Yo

Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
Losing 4 lbs/wk is definitely not conducive to performance improvement. Are you planning on staying on Keto? Why not adjust your consumption to something closer to a long term, sustainable, amount with a deficit of 0-500 Cals/day. Your weight loss wonít be as fast but it will be a more realistic lifestyle and performance should improve.
You would think that greg, but Iíve been on a lot of diets and this one is by far the most effective and easiest to follow than any others Iíve tried. The things you eat keep you very satiated. Itís actually hard to eat all your calories when you just ate a big steak and mounds of veggies coated with butter. And there is lots of scientific evedince that shows this diet is much better than the typical low fat high carb diet. Itís been shown to be better for weight, diabetes control, heart health, even cancer. My weight loss has slowed this week, as Iíve been expecting, but Iím still on track to lose 3 lbís this week.
Old 01-11-18, 10:23 AM
gregf83 

You would think that greg, but I’ve been on a lot of diets and this one is by far the most effective and easiest to follow than any others I’ve tried. The things you eat keep you very satiated. It’s actually hard to eat all your calories when you just ate a big steak and mounds of veggies coated with butter. And there is lots of scientific evedince that shows this diet is much better than the typical low fat high carb diet. It’s been shown to be better for weight, diabetes control, heart health, even cancer. My weight loss has slowed this week, as I’ve been expecting, but I’m still on track to lose 3 lb’s this week.
I don't doubt it's an effective diet but you aren't planning to continue losing 3 lbs a week for the rest of your life. At some point you'll transition to a more sustainable diet. I'm just suggesting if you are concerned about performance you could make the adjustment to a sustainable caloric intake sooner rather than later. You may slow the rate of weight loss but the risk of fall off the wagon so to speak will also be lower and you'll be able to build strength/fitness. You're not going to build strength or fitness while losing 3 lbs a week. It just won't happen.

Alternatively, you could just not worry about your performance until you hit your goal weight and then focus on performance instead of weight loss.
Old 01-11-18, 10:32 AM
MikeOK
Yo

Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
I don't doubt it's an effective diet but you aren't planning to continue losing 3 lbs a week for the rest of your life. At some point you'll transition to a more sustainable diet. I'm just suggesting if you are concerned about performance you could make the adjustment to a sustainable caloric intake sooner rather than later. You may slow the rate of weight loss but the risk of fall off the wagon so to speak will also be lower and you'll be able to build strength/fitness. You're not going to build strength or fitness while losing 3 lbs a week. It just won't happen.

Alternatively, you could just not worry about your performance until you hit your goal weight and then focus on performance instead of weight loss.
Iíve now lost 63 lbs in the last year and have 17 to go to get back to my old racing weight. Right now Iím thinking I will stay the course until I get there, even if I donít gain any speed. After that in reality I need to lose 30 more to get to my ideal weight. Back when I was racing I had much more upper body mass than I do now. But after I lose 17 more lbs Iím going to eat more and lose weight much slower, even if itís a lb a week that will be fine.
Old 01-11-18, 11:52 AM
gregf83 

Iíve now lost 63 lbs in the last year and have 17 to go to get back to my old racing weight. Right now Iím thinking I will stay the course until I get there, even if I donít gain any speed. After that in reality I need to lose 30 more to get to my ideal weight. Back when I was racing I had much more upper body mass than I do now. But after I lose 17 more lbs Iím going to eat more and lose weight much slower, even if itís a lb a week that will be fine.
I don't know if you're planning to stay on a strict keto diet but the other option is to supplement additional carbs based on your rides. I think some athletes take this approach.
Old 01-11-18, 07:49 PM
atitagain

Bikes: caad 8 c'dale , trek madone 5.2

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
whole food plant based for the win . Keto no bueno . butter - Really ? Good luck with that . And just say no to cath .
Old 01-11-18, 08:09 PM
MikeOK
Yo

You can eat all the butter you want I’ve eaten butter spread on cheese along with boiled eggs.
Old 01-16-18, 04:55 AM
Mystic1

Location: Somewhere where I complain if there are more than 2 cars on the road

Bikes: Trek 7000 ( in the rebuilding studio) Rocky Mountain MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi I'm new, I had quite a lot of weight to loose and so far about 80 lbs are now history. I've been doing keto and rode heavily during the summer. Your body eventually adapts to it. I took potassium and magnesium and added fresh cranberries and walnuts to my salad. It kept me in the keto range and minimized the cramping on hills. We live in a rural and fairly remote by US standards where it's about half paved and half dirt and a few roads that don't really qualify as roads. It's hilly, big hills or small mountains. I ditched the potassium and magnesium after I found the dietary adjustments. I avoid leafy greens unless they're frozen or I raise them myself because of contamination issues. So that means that I don't eat them at all during winter. I use broccoli, peppers, and Swiss chard that I grow myself. Winter I'm limited to cabbage onions, and frozen broccoli and spinach ( if I can find it) I do fresh tomatoes in September as we have a limited time when they're in season and I cannot resist going to the farm and smelling those things and not eating a few.

For the weight loss I eat a solid breakfast and use pork belly instead of cured bacon, eggs, I have salad of raw vegetables of whatever is handy, usually broccoili based with an oil dressing at lunch I make my dressings I don't use store bought. I don't usually have any meat for lunch it's just veggies. Supper is early and I have a meat and veggies. Only snack is early evening and that's a couple boiled eggs. I don't use butter,creme or sour creme and only about an ounce or so of cheese a day max.

For me the keto was a good solution. The process of adaptation may take a year or so. Be patient work on distance and interval.

Last edited by Mystic1; 01-16-18 at 05:03 AM.
Old 01-16-18, 09:33 AM
MikeOK
Yo

Mystic1 - thanks for the great post! I know keto has been very good to me, with the exception of hurting my performance on the bike. I’ve been on it 10 weeks now and have lost 41 lb’s. To contrast I was previously counting calories for about 5 months and only lost 20 lb’s.
Old 02-06-18, 08:42 PM
MoBugs

Bikes: Co-op ADV 2.1, Gary Fisher, Eddy and Faraday

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Over 50 Performance on Keto

It's great for you health and cycling pertaining to your wight lose. I'm on the Paleo, however I'm refraining from all dairy products. Keep up the great work and good luck!
Old 02-07-18, 01:05 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Are you under a doctor's care during this weight loss? If not, you should be. Google, for instance "rapid weight loss organ damage," same for liver disease, same for electrolyte imbalance, etc.

Rapid weight loss has been shown to be the precursor to rapid weight gain because one's metabolism can be, and often is, permanently slowed. Here's a look at that: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/h...ight-loss.html

The above are the reasons that 1 lb./wk. is the usual maximum recommended, even though it doesn't make for good TV or stories.

Oh - your zones are not quite right. The only reliable way to set zones is to do a lactate threshold test and set your zones off that. Here are the instructions for that: https://trainright.com/cts-field-tes...-calculations/

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service