Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Would a self driving car world make it safe for cyclists?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Would a self driving car world make it safe for cyclists?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-17, 07:02 PM

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
Just a year ago most people seemed to be thinking mid 2020s at the earliest. Astonishing.
I predict driverless cars will start to be in actual use transporting passengers (not in a of dev/testing context) in 2018. How prevalent they are will depend on politics. Some governments will be more cautious than others.
Old 11-08-17, 08:49 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,574 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Keep fooling yourself that buggy whips are still popular.
And keep cheering on the Silicon Valley practice of beta-testing their unproven prototypes on the consumer, though this time it is being conducted on the general public on the highway rather than on its personal computers and devices. This time the defects and shortcomings of the prototypes will not be limited to "crashes" on desktop computers.

You may be looking forward to reading about the results when the beta prototypes are tested under more difficult conditions, like driving at night, or in rain and snow, or bridges or tunnels, busy city streets, or tree shade dappled highways or the multitude of different conditions that humans handle everyday. But you may be waiting quite awhile.

There is a reason why Waymo picked dry and sunny Arizona for their beta testing on public roads and not the dry and sunny and far more crowded highways in your backyard. California has regulations to prohibit the disregard for public safety involved in testing such unproven vehicles on public roads. Arizona legislators apparently have less concern for the safety of its residents.
Old 11-08-17, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
There is a reason why Waymo picked dry and sunny Arizona for their beta testing on public roads and not the dry and sunny and far more crowded highways in your backyard. California has regulations to prohibit the disregard for public safety involved in testing such unproven vehicles on public roads. Arizona legislators apparently have less concern for the safety of its residents.
Uh, California regulates autonomous vehicles. So does Arizona. So does Pennsylvania. So does Michigan. So does Massachusetts. So does New York State and New York City. So does.... Yet autonomous vehicles are deployed (or in the case of NYC, soon to be deployed) in all these places, because they are dry and sunny and uncrowded?

Do you have a pointer to the memo that you've obtained from Waymo about the secret reasons why they test in Arizona?

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 11-08-17 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-08-17, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2531 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by InOmaha

Autonomous cars are not allowed to be irrational. It's hard enough to program the logic involved with operating within the rulebook and no IT programmer is going to program the car to ignore jaywalking pedestrians due to litigation and bad plublicity. So the interaction between car and pedestrian would always be rational car versus rational/irrational human. Once people pick up on the fact that the car will always default to a pedestrian regardless of all other traffic rules, people can act more irrationally and shut down car traffic simply because they need to get somewhere and no longer need to care they could be hit. The car will always stop for them even if the light is green or the car has the right of way on the street.
This bothers you why? Part of the problem as I see it, is that (IMO) non-essential motor traffic should be totally absent from the urban core of any city larger than ~100K. Seriously. But IF the present paradigm of allowing motor traffic to operate unimpeded in busy downtown areas continues they SHOULD always defer to pedestrians. I live in an area with a lot of uncontrolled intersections and I have to wait until ALL traffic has cleared in both directions before I can cross an intersection safely. Sometimes this takes a few seconds, sometimes it is several minutes. Sometimes a driver gives me a break. It is totally up to them. The power is all in the motor traffic. That (IMO) should not be the case in urban cores and, in fact, there are statutes that give right of way to peds and cyclists in my very locale but there is lax enforcement.

After 19 pages of point/counterpoint I see no new information to disabuse this writer of an opinion that believes the answer is an unqualified 'Yes'. A self-driving car world would indeed make it safe for cyclists because self driving cars do not have personal biases against peds/cyclists/other vulnerable road users, that are purely subjective in nature. When basic physical laws of collision avoidance dominate the interactions between large powered road using vehicles and smaller human powered or pedestrian road users the safety of the latter should not remain in question.
Old 11-08-17, 10:55 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bob Lutz weighs in.

The vehicles, however, will no longer be driven by humans because in 15 to 20 years — at the latest — human-driven vehicles will be legislated off the highways.

The tipping point will come when 20 to 30 percent of vehicles are fully autonomous. Countries will look at the accident statistics and figure out that human drivers are causing 99.9 percent of the accidents.

Of course, there will be a transition period. Everyone will have five years to get their car off the road or sell it for scrap or trade it on a module.
www.autonews.com/article/20171105/INDUSTRY_REDESIGNED/171109944/bob-lutz%3a-kiss-the-good-times-goodbye
Old 11-08-17, 11:56 AM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
And keep cheering on the Silicon Valley practice of beta-testing their unproven prototypes on the consumer, though this time it is being conducted on the general public on the highway rather than on its personal computers and devices. This time the defects and shortcomings of the prototypes will not be limited to "crashes" on desktop computers..
Every day thousands of new drivers beta test their skills after passing a minimal alpha test.

Even worse is these new drivers can't pass on their learning to the next new driver so they never get better.
Old 11-08-17, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by noisebeam
Every day thousands of new drivers beta test their skills after passing a minimal alpha test.

Even worse is these new drivers can't pass on their learning to the next new driver so they never get better.
Lol. +1
Old 11-08-17, 12:35 PM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts

Even worse is these new drivers can't pass on their learning to the next generation of new driver so they never get better.
fify

Yeah... but somehow these "beta drivers" don't seem to phase some folks... in spite of the well documented crash rate of something like 3X greater than the general population. Gee, is it any wonder that teen drivers pay more for auto insurance?
Old 11-08-17, 01:42 PM
Been Around Awhile

Nor do they need to stay within the friendly confines of certain selected Google approved/selected routes in the Phoenix, AZ area in order to avoid challenging an inability to operate safely with no one at the wheel in the dark, rain, snow, slippery roads, dense urban traffic or any/every other scenario that doesn't match the sunny day environment selected for these demonstrations.

I suppose the only drivers the overwrought motorist-bashers/Google car fan bois/day dreamers would have are whatever Phase driver is equivalent to a vehicle that stops by the side of the road whenever the sun goes down, or approaches a tunnel, bridge or anything else not meeting the sunny weather, carefully selected Google-friendly dry clean routes of Phoenix, and doesn't budge until road conditions change to meet the severely limited safe operating parameters of the current breed of driver-less motor vehicles.
Old 11-08-17, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts

It is a nice dream for some, but it isn't going to happen where all but autonomous vehicles will be legislated off of the roads.
Old 11-08-17, 02:51 PM
genec

Nor do they need to stay within the friendly confines of certain selected Google approved/selected routes in the Phoenix, AZ area in order to avoid challenging an inability to operate safely with no one at the wheel in the dark, rain, snow, slippery roads, dense urban traffic or any/every other scenario that doesn't match the sunny day environment selected for these demonstrations.

I suppose the only drivers the overwrought motorist-bashers/Google car fan bois/day dreamers would have are whatever Phase driver is equivalent to a vehicle that stops by the side of the road whenever the sun goes down, or approaches a tunnel, bridge or anything else not meeting the sunny weather, carefully selected Google-friendly dry clean routes of Phoenix, and doesn't budge until road conditions change to meet the severely limited safe operating parameters of the current breed of driver-less motor vehicles.
Apparently you missed this, earlier in the thread...
They share the road with me every morning and afternoon during rush hour. My commute lately goes thru a three to one lane construction zone complete with inoperable light. I expect it will rain in the next few months - it almost did this morning.
Just how well do you think your average new teen driver handles that construction zone with the bad light and cyclists riding by.

And regarding night time... you do realize that new drivers are not allowed to drive at night...
First 12 months of licensure may not transport passengers under age 20, and may not drive between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m.
Remember the self driving cars only need to be just better than the average motorist to be an improvement... just as airbags and seatbelts don't save all lives... yet, they are mandated.
Old 11-08-17, 02:54 PM
genec

Originally Posted by 02Giant
It is a nice dream for some, but it isn't going to happen where all but autonomous vehicles will be legislated off of the roads.
I suspect you are right... there will still be a need for specialized vehicles... and older vehicles will remain on the roads until they "expire."

But it may become more and more difficult to operate gas vehicles... if electrics become more popular and gas stations become fewer and fewer. No doubt this would be long in the future... just as it took time for cars to replace the horse and buggy.
Old 11-08-17, 03:24 PM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

And regarding night time... you do realize that new drivers are not allowed to drive at night...

Remember the self driving cars only need to be just better than the average motorist to be an improvement... just as airbags and seatbelts don't save all lives... yet, they are mandated.
These Waymo vehicles are geographically restricted to mapped areas when they don't have a human backup driver. They are actively increasing the mapped area using autonomous vehicles with human backup.
They can drive without human at night and light rain.
Old 11-08-17, 04:32 PM

These Waymo vehicles are geographically restricted to mapped areas when they don't have a human backup driver. They are actively increasing the mapped area using autonomous vehicles with human backup.
I expect this to be a common procedure, the tested and authorized zones will simply grow over time until they cover almost everything drivable.
Old 11-08-17, 05:20 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
Agreed. That's a point on which I disagree with Lutz. But I do think economics and convenience will naturally cause most vehicles on the road to be autonomous within ten years; maybe within five years.

It will happen very, very quickly because the hurdle to switch is so low: just leave your car in the garage and take a driverless Lyft for a great price instead. You can go from less than 1% doing that to 90+% doing that literally overnight. The biggest issue will be in building enough AVs to meet the demand.

And just as quickly, the roads will become far safer for cyclists.
Old 11-08-17, 05:25 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
I expect this to be a common procedure, the tested and authorized zones will simply grow over time until they cover almost everything drivable.
Exactly.

The operable range and operable conditions are at a baseline, and will continually increase until you can take one anywhere and any time a human-driven vehicle can go.

The rate of increase is what I think is hard to grasp. Only one car has to be taught how to drive in a particular area - and suddenly all the cars have the accumulated knowledge.
Old 11-08-17, 05:57 PM

I suspect you are right... there will still be a need for specialized vehicles... and older vehicles will remain on the roads until they "expire."

But it may become more and more difficult to operate gas vehicles... if electrics become more popular and gas stations become fewer and fewer. No doubt this would be long in the future... just as it took time for cars to replace the horse and buggy.

Expire? What kind vehicles have you owned? There are 90+ year old vehicles still being enjoyed by their owners, how long until they "expire"?

I fail to see a majority of the general population give up their vehicles. For the most part, public transportation is a failure in getting the masses out of their cars. And, I don't see Legislation happening.
Old 11-08-17, 06:02 PM

Agreed. That's a point on which I disagree with Lutz. But I do think economics and convenience will naturally cause most vehicles on the road to be autonomous within ten years; maybe within five years.

It will happen very, very quickly because the hurdle to switch is so low: just leave your car in the garage and take a driverless Lyft for a great price instead. You can go from less than 1% doing that to 90+% doing that literally overnight. The biggest issue will be in building enough AVs to meet the demand.

And just as quickly, the roads will become far safer for cyclists.
Who will build the Lyft system's infrastructure? overnight...

I don't doubt the technology will continue to grow and more autonomous vehicles will end up on the roads. But, it is going to take a long-long time before a majority of vehicles on the roads are autonomous.
Old 11-08-17, 06:21 PM

Just like that, eh? Just walk away from a $60K investment... seriously? Some people have over six figures invested. Yah, the mouthbreather driving the beater held together with spit and baling wire... yah, him. The dude with the Veyron, not so much. Better show him the money!
Old 11-08-17, 07:32 PM

That's wildly optimistic. Outside of dense cities the business case for driverless taxis could take decades to develop and displace existing autos.
Old 11-08-17, 07:35 PM
Arizona Dessert

The number of people who have investments in vehicles is extremely slim. Most depreciate.
Old 11-08-17, 07:41 PM

The number of people who have investments in vehicles is extremely slim. Most depreciate.
You're splitting hairs. No one is just going to stop driving a perfectly good 3 year old Escalade without some kind of $$$ incentive (or coercion) just because.
Old 11-08-17, 08:08 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
You're splitting hairs. No one is just going to stop driving a perfectly good 3 year old Escalade without some kind of $$$ incentive (or coercion) just because.
They already are in some places, like Manhattan and San Francisco where the relative cost/hassle of driving and parking your own car is much higher than in other places. But the balance will tip in favor of hailing everywhere else once the price drops when you won't have to pay for a driver any more. As soon as that starts to happen the demand for parking will drop and so will the prices, rendering more and more parking garages to be no longer economically viable. As garages close and prices start to increase again trying to find a new equilibrium more and more people will continue to opt for hailing instead of driving their own vehicles.

The good news is you'll be able to buy a perfectly good 3 year old Escalade for a lark.

Now is not the time to buy a new car! LOL!
Old 11-08-17, 08:13 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
That's wildly optimistic. Outside of dense cities the business case for driverless taxis could take decades to develop and displace existing autos.
Maybe. I obviously don't think so.

All the technology already exists for driverless taxis - they're just refining the software. Most new cars can be developed in 18 months; I see no reason why this can't happen with driverless taxis. And there are companies already working on this. Some in the general public might be getting rides in such taxis this year (yeah, within 7 weeks).
Old 11-08-17, 08:27 PM
Been Around Awhile

More news from the Internet:
Driverless Cab Service to Launch in Arizona
by John Lister on November, 8 2017 at 01:11PM EST
https://www.infopackets.com/news/102...launch-arizona
Extract:
"...During the tests, both the driver and passenger seats are empty. A Waymo employee sits in the back of the vehicle and can hit an emergency brake button, but otherwise has no control.

It appears to be the first time driverless vehicles have been tested on public roads at a normal driving speed. In tests by other companies, a human has sat in the driver seat with the ability to take over at the wheel if needed. (Source: startribune.com)

Fair Weather Makes Easier Test Ground

That's partly because other states have tighter controls over autonomous vehicle testing. As well as the looser rules, Waymo picked Arizona for testing because it has little rain, snow or fog, both of which are more of a challenge for current self-driving technology.

The next step will be offering rides to some of the 10,000 people who signed up to be test passengers. In the beginning, a Waymo employee will sit beside passengers in the back, but this will eventually be phased out. If the testing goes to plan, Waymo will offer a taxi service where passengers can take a ride to the destination of their choice without a driver on board.

3D Map is Key to System

To start with, the testing program will only allow journeys that are entirely within a designated zone around Chandler, a suburb of Phoenix. That's because Waymo's technology is based heavily on creating 3D maps of an area. The cars then use this as a reference point, making it easier to distinguish between fixed objects, such as trees, and things that could move such as vehicles or people."

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 11-08-17 at 08:30 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.