Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Ride Clean

Old 12-15-15, 11:39 AM
  #401  
Jimmy Phoenix
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you misunderstood where I'm coming from so I'll try to clarify. I'm proud of my cat 1 license and my hardware from nats, as meaningless as they are in the grand scheme of things. And yes, I train my balls off to win parking lot crits or road races in the middle of nowhere. But if I walk away from a weekend having gotten my ass beat, well so be it. Between job, family, etc, etc, there are a million other more important things. What I see now at the newbie end of the sport are guys who absolutely can't do what you said - keep things in perspective. Instead of enjoying the "journey" of racing a bike and working on the broad skills they need to actually enjoy the sport, they immediately leap into a mode where they are emulating pros or doing absolutely whatever they feel is necessary to gain an edge. I don't think that is healthy or even helpful when just starting out, and I think it translates directly into the problem that we see today.

Edit - found the quote from the David Anthony story I was looking for. This is what I'm pointing to when it comes to guys who are "wound tight". I imagine pretty much every guy with a similar profile who has been busted would say the same thing:

David Anothy: “There’s no justification for what I did. Over these three-and-a-half years, I got completely consumed by it. And I think that cycling is different. Somehow, it’s different than everything else. It rewards the obsessive, compulsive nature. It was a bunch of small justifications that end up in a big justification, and then a small kind of taking away of the pleasures,” Anthony said.





Last edited by Jimmy Phoenix; 12-15-15 at 11:58 AM.
Jimmy Phoenix is offline  
Old 12-15-15, 11:57 AM
  #402  
Hermes
Version 3.0
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,991

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,275 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy Phoenix
I think you misunderstood where I'm coming from so I'll try to clarify. I'm proud of my cat 1 license and my hardware from nats, as meaningless as they are in the grand scheme of things. And yes, I train my balls off to win parking lot crits or road races in the middle of nowhere. But if I walk away from a weekend having gotten my ass beat, well so be it. Between job, family, etc, etc, there are a million other more important things. What I see now at the newbie end of the sport are guys who absolutely can't do what you said - keep things in perspective. Instead of enjoying the "journey" of racing a bike and working on the broad skills they need to actually enjoy the sport, they immediately leap into a mode where they are emulating pros or doing absolutely whatever they feel is necessary to gain an edge. I don't think that is healthy or even helpful when just starting out, and I think it translates directly into the problem that we see today.


Another troll comment...I worked extremely hard for my Nats hardware and do not consider it meaningless on any level. There are more important aspects of life than bicycle racing but I put in a lot of time, effort and money to nationals and take exception to your comment unless you were referring only to your Cat 1 license.
Hermes is offline  
Old 12-15-15, 12:18 PM
  #403  
Jimmy Phoenix
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
[/COLOR]

Another troll comment...I worked extremely hard for my Nats hardware and do not consider it meaningless on any level. There are more important aspects of life than bicycle racing but I put in a lot of time, effort and money to nationals and take exception to your comment unless you were referring only to your Cat 1 license.
That was my point, and why I qualified it with "in the grand scheme of things". "Grand scheme of things" to me means raising kids, leaving the world a better place, etc, etc.
Jimmy Phoenix is offline  
Old 12-15-15, 01:15 PM
  #404  
Ygduf
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 10,978

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
the 18 comments above are classic generational gap and as should be tradition, here's the Socrates Quote - [h=1]“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”[/h]Everyone always thinks the new guys are ruining it. Talk about keeping perspective...
Ygduf is offline  
Old 12-15-15, 01:27 PM
  #405  
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,441
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 751 Times in 342 Posts
tough room. all 18?
gsteinb is offline  
Old 12-15-15, 01:28 PM
  #406  
Ygduf
\_(ツ)_/
 
Ygduf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 10,978

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
tough room. all 18?
"18" was an estimation. Like using HR for training.
Ygduf is offline  
Old 12-15-15, 01:59 PM
  #407  
Jimmy Phoenix
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
"18" was an estimation. Like using HR for training.
Sometimes I'll just strap on my hr monitor and jam refresh over and over while reading the forum. It's gotta be good z3/z4 training. Gsteinb/hermes, I worded those responses poorly and deserved it. Ygduf, we'll actually cross over at masters Nats in a couple of years, assuming I'm still racing.

Back OT - has any NGB in the US fined amateurs for failing a test? Maybe a solution to the funding of tests would be to let USADA continue on with the ban structure and then have USAC administer a fine if the guilty party wants to return to racing. The money would go directly to anti-doping. Probably wouldn't work but would be a better deterrent than a ban alone.

Last edited by Jimmy Phoenix; 12-15-15 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
Jimmy Phoenix is offline  
Old 12-15-15, 10:31 PM
  #408  
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Posts: 13,089
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
God no. I forget which of the drug threads I posted on, but I know what I'm taking (or not taking) and if I'm getting beat by dopers it won't be the end of the world.

Regarding the $25, it seems silly to target one group when USAC feels doping occurs across all cats (otherwise why say you'll test across all cats?). I think a better approach would have been a $10ish increase for P through 4 and a clear plan for those funds.
I love you man.
Racer Ex is offline  
Old 12-16-15, 12:54 PM
  #409  
shovelhd
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Posts: 15,669

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
I love you man.
I also agree with hack.
shovelhd is offline  
Old 12-16-15, 01:25 PM
  #410  
mattm
**** that
Thread Starter
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 15,402
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
Regarding the $25, it seems silly to target one group when USAC feels doping occurs across all cats (otherwise why say you'll test across all cats?). I think a better approach would have been a $10ish increase for P through 4 and a clear plan for those funds.
Was it stated that testing was done across all categories?

I thought I read that somewhere too, but I also thought I read that testing was focused at the p/1/2 level.
__________________
cat 1.

my race videos
mattm is offline  
Old 12-16-15, 02:36 PM
  #411  
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 3,888
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Was it stated that testing was done across all categories?

I thought I read that somewhere too, but I also thought I read that testing was focused at the p/1/2 level.

Hmmm thought I read it too, but can't find it now. Their Race Clean FAQ says anyone participating in a USAC event is subject to testing. So, you can kind of connect those two dots. Regardless, if they're serious about it the fees should extend to the 4's (leave 5's out to reduce the cost of entry to the sport) as an early indicator that they're serious about testing and eliminating drug use. In lieu of a fee for cat 5's maybe require completion of a 30 min webinar on drug use in sports. They could roll a short drug talk into the early bird races (or whatever equivalent exists outside of NorCal) as well.

I've only been in the game for a couple of years, but have never seen or heard of anyone getting tested. That includes guys with podium spots at big races up to the P1/2 ranks. There was some talk of increased testing locally last year, but I never saw it.
hack is offline  
Old 12-16-15, 03:44 PM
  #412  
Hermes
Version 3.0
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,991

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,275 Posts
NorCal Cycling News.... USA Cycling Fails to Deliver Drug Tests USA Cycling Fails to Deliver Drug Tests | NorCal Cycling News - Cycling and Racing in Northern California

"USA Cycling failed to deliver their RaceClean initiative. The NCNCA’s money was locked up in the RaceClean program for all of 2014 and no testing was administered at all, even though RaceClean was successfully implemented in other districts around the country. The NCNCA’s money has been returned for 2015."

"Roman Kilun, a new addition to the NCNCA Board, commented on the reality of the RaceClean program, saying that the substantial investment would have gotten the district “8 tests”. The princely sum of $7,000 investment would get sucked up in expensive laboratory costs to process urine samples and financing testers who come from outside the district."
Hermes is offline  
Old 12-16-15, 03:51 PM
  #413  
cruiserhead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,953
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for that link Hermes
Realities come crashing down on testing.
Let the Master-baters continue their doping regimens. At least the national races will still test
cruiserhead is offline  
Old 12-16-15, 04:19 PM
  #414  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,865

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,100 Times in 1,414 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
Hmmm thought I read it too, but can't find it now. Their Race Clean FAQ says anyone participating in a USAC event is subject to testing. So, you can kind of connect those two dots. Regardless, if they're serious about it the fees should extend to the 4's (leave 5's out to reduce the cost of entry to the sport) as an early indicator that they're serious about testing and eliminating drug use. In lieu of a fee for cat 5's maybe require completion of a 30 min webinar on drug use in sports. They could roll a short drug talk into the early bird races (or whatever equivalent exists outside of NorCal) as well.

I've only been in the game for a couple of years, but have never seen or heard of anyone getting tested. That includes guys with podium spots at big races up to the P1/2 ranks. There was some talk of increased testing locally last year, but I never saw it.
I seem to recall that there was a pee test for the top 5 at district masters crit champs a few years ago (2013?) in Petaluma. But haven't seen any tests since.
caloso is offline  
Old 12-17-15, 12:01 PM
  #415  
jdms mvp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: four 1 OHHH , Maryland
Posts: 2,849

Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tangent, but the only event that directly affected me and pee-testing was the 2014 cat3 RR championships where prior to starting the referree's mentioned to our field they would test the winners of p123 and cat3.

there was a racer in cat3 who said to everyone he smoked weed like a day prior and wasn't going to finish because of the test, and that's what he did, he stepped off with like 3 laps to go from the front of the race.

i ended up winning the race, went back to the start, and referee said go to that guy over there for testing. I went , and the guy was like ... oh you do not need to test. (i was confused). and then that was that.

i have no conclusion to this story, just sharing.
jdms mvp is offline  
Old 12-17-15, 07:27 PM
  #416  
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,441
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 751 Times in 342 Posts
Olympian Bobby Lea suspended for doping violation - VeloNews.com
gsteinb is offline  
Old 12-17-15, 07:56 PM
  #417  
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 3,888
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No good. I did, however, just go over and check out the wada page since I've been popping Norco the past few days. Looks I better not race for a while.
hack is offline  
Old 12-17-15, 08:00 PM
  #418  
Impreza_aL
Senior Member
 
Impreza_aL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 437

Bikes: yellow tricycle di2 grip shifters

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bobby Lea // 2-Time Olympian // 23-Time National Champion
Impreza_aL is offline  
Old 12-17-15, 08:38 PM
  #419  
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 13,090

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1870 Post(s)
Liked 2,210 Times in 1,203 Posts
poppin' hydros/oxys to get high... that's playing with fire my friend! there are safer ways to do it.

Srsly though, this is a damn shame. He always struck me as a great athlete with a positive, "clean" attitude. I love watching him in the omnium at the London 2012 Olympics... I still watch re-runs of that sometimes when I'm stretching in my apt.
__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste

Last edited by TMonk; 12-18-15 at 02:11 AM. Reason: typo
TMonk is offline  
Old 12-17-15, 08:50 PM
  #420  
shovelhd
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Posts: 15,669

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow.

He had a doctor who prescribed oxy for pain. He was not recovering from an injury out of competition. He was using opiates to manage in-competition pain and got caught. This is the post-EPO frontier.
shovelhd is offline  
Old 12-17-15, 08:58 PM
  #421  
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,670
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd

He had a doctor who prescribed oxy for pain. He was not recovering from an injury out of competition. He was using opiates to manage in-competition pain and got caught. This is the post-EPO frontier.
I bet he was using it for post-injury recovery / training and became hooked. He was then told to wash-out for a race and couldn't.
Enthalpic is offline  
Old 12-17-15, 09:22 PM
  #422  
Doge
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,469

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3372 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 252 Posts
Closer to home. Kid got back from Europe and did Brentwood. He went off the front, flatted, got back on. Bobby was off and he couldn't bridge but tried. Pulled out (1st time in two years) and said "season over".
Week later Bobby put on a good show at the track.
Doge is offline  
Old 12-17-15, 09:27 PM
  #423  
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense
 
TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vagabond
Posts: 13,916

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 538 Times in 236 Posts
One of the coolest things I remember from when I was starting out was watching him tailgun it at the Fitchburg crit back when he was on Toyota United, only to move up from dead last with 2 laps to go and get second in the sprint. This is a real bummer.
TheKillerPenguin is offline  
Old 12-17-15, 09:29 PM
  #424  
shovelhd
Senior Member
 
shovelhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western MA
Posts: 15,669

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
I bet he was using it for post-injury recovery / training and became hooked. He was then told to wash-out for a race and couldn't.
Hooked is a nice way of saying intentional abuse. I've had four serious racing accidents, two that required inpatient hospitalization, where I was prescribed opiates. I could not get off of them fast enough. It only took a few days. There was NFW I was going to race sooner than a week after dropping the dope. He can play the poor addict card but I'm not listening.

I've been in fields with him, so **** him.
shovelhd is offline  
Old 12-17-15, 09:43 PM
  #425  
hack
Senior Member
 
hack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 3,888
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Hooked is a nice way of saying intentional abuse. I've had four serious racing accidents, two that required inpatient hospitalization, where I was prescribed opiates. I could not get off of them fast enough. It only took a few days. There was NFW I was going to race sooner than a week after dropping the dope. He can play the poor addict card but I'm not listening.

I've been in fields with him, so **** him.
I'm on three days of hydrocodone right now and am done with it. Pain has subsided and I don't care for the cottonmouth and digestive traffic jam.
hack is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.