Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXX

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXX

Old 12-27-20, 05:17 PM
  #10901  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,909

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,780 Times in 6,558 Posts
Once again confirming, REAL Miles >>> Virtual Miles. Even with a flat thrown in.

Speaking of which, this is my THIRD flat of the year, and the 3rd since October. I'm starting to think I didn't flat because I wasn't riding in the late fall and winter that much. Today's wasn't a pinch flat from hitting a rock. No, it was an old fashioned Michelin wire flat. About 0.5 cm long. I'd just trimmed my nails, so I had a hell of a time getting any purchase on it to pull it out! I almost tried my teeth.....

Speaking of purchase, last month I purchased 6 new tubes, so I'd have plenty of spares. But I decided to be frugal and patch the 2 snake bit tubes I had, and then I put one of those in the saddle bag with one of the new ones, after I discovered I can take any of my tires off any of my rims without levers. Better to be safe with 2 tubes, than 1 tube and levers I don't need, I thought.

SO when I flatted today, I pulled off the road, found a handy fence to hang the bike off while I worked, got the tire off on one side pulled out the old tube. Opened my saddle bag, and thought briefly of using the patched tube, but thought "Better keep that one in reserve, in case I did a bad job patching it!". So I got the new tube out, took off the black rubber band, uncoiled it and...

Shrader. Shrader? SHRADER?!? Shrader.

"Oh, 'eck.", I thought. Pulled out the patched tube and pumped it up - proving yet again that a minipump can pump up a 28mm tire. Eventually. Texted Mrs. GeneJockey to be prepared for the Call Of Shame, and continued on my merry way. Got home with no further technical difficulties. Checked the order - I ordered 6 tubes with Schrader valves.
​​​​​​​
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 05:17 PM
  #10902  
Super Modest
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 23,717

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Liked 4,960 Times in 2,245 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I've never worn through the brake track on a road wheel, they always crack or fail some other way.
We have on tandems with rim brakes.
__________________
Keep the chain tight!







Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 05:21 PM
  #10903  
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,461

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,397 Times in 4,343 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Once again confirming, REAL Miles >>> Virtual Miles. Even with a flat thrown in.

Speaking of which, this is my THIRD flat of the year, and the 3rd since October. I'm starting to think I didn't flat because I wasn't riding in the late fall and winter that much. Today's wasn't a pinch flat from hitting a rock. No, it was an old fashioned Michelin wire flat. About 0.5 cm long. I'd just trimmed my nails, so I had a hell of a time getting any purchase on it to pull it out! I almost tried my teeth.....

Speaking of purchase, last month I purchased 6 new tubes, so I'd have plenty of spares. But I decided to be frugal and patch the 2 snake bit tubes I had, and then I put one of those in the saddle bag with one of the new ones, after I discovered I can take any of my tires off any of my rims without levers. Better to be safe with 2 tubes, than 1 tube and levers I don't need, I thought.

SO when I flatted today, I pulled off the road, found a handy fence to hang the bike off while I worked, got the tire off on one side pulled out the old tube. Opened my saddle bag, and thought briefly of using the patched tube, but thought "Better keep that one in reserve, in case I did a bad job patching it!". So I got the new tube out, took off the black rubber band, uncoiled it and...

Shrader. Shrader? SHRADER?!? Shrader.

"Oh, 'eck.", I thought. Pulled out the patched tube and pumped it up - proving yet again that a minipump can pump up a 28mm tire. Eventually. Texted Mrs. GeneJockey to be prepared for the Call Of Shame, and continued on my merry way. Got home with no further technical difficulties. Checked the order - I ordered 6 tubes with Schrader valves.
Glad you made it home. Just flip the tubes to someone who can use them. I also advise you have a couple peel/stick patches and a boot with you to prevent call of shame.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 12-27-20, 05:22 PM
  #10904  
Super Modest
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 23,717

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Liked 4,960 Times in 2,245 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Got home with no further technical difficulties. Checked the order - I ordered 6 tubes with Schrader valves.

​​​​​​​Oops.
__________________
Keep the chain tight!







Trsnrtr is offline  
Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 12-27-20, 05:22 PM
  #10905  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,909

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,780 Times in 6,558 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Mine are that you should only include real miles, no trainer miles.

#HarshPossibly
I'm out.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 05:25 PM
  #10906  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,909

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,780 Times in 6,558 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Glad you made it home. Just flip the tubes to someone who can use them. I also advise you have a couple peel/stick patches and a boot with you to prevent call of shame.
Yeah, I used to keep one of those kits in my saddle bag. Haven't had a need for it in >15 years, so I didn't bother transferring it to my new saddle bag, about 2 saddle bags ago.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 05:28 PM
  #10907  
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 52,096

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 2,019 Times in 1,419 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Mine are that you should only include real miles, no trainer miles.

#HarshPossibly
Harsh? Seems obvious. There should be a category for gain versus 2019.
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 05:30 PM
  #10908  
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,461

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,397 Times in 4,343 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Yeah, I used to keep one of those kits in my saddle bag. Haven't had a need for it in >15 years, so I didn't bother transferring it to my new saddle bag, about 2 saddle bags ago.
Your call, but I have a few extra but small/light items in my repair sac:

1. Valve extender (has saved a couple friends who needed to borrow tubes)
2. Quick link for chain
3. Stick on patches and boot
4. Zip-ties for MacGyver repairs
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 05:31 PM
  #10909  
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,461

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,397 Times in 4,343 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Harsh? Seems obvious. There should be a category for gain versus 2019.
I don’t mind if someone bumps that one with additional suggestions.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 05:38 PM
  #10910  
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 13,802

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I would believe the Wahoo, and I would ignore both the speed and distance.
Thats what's weird speed and distance are relatively the same. They differ a bit but thats understandable since I manually start and stop both.
ls01 is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 05:42 PM
  #10911  
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: At Large
Posts: 56,903

Bikes: Have two wheels

Liked 4,755 Times in 2,591 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Once again confirming, REAL Miles >>> Virtual Miles. Even with a flat thrown in.

Speaking of which, this is my THIRD flat of the year, and the 3rd since October. I'm starting to think I didn't flat because I wasn't riding in the late fall and winter that much. Today's wasn't a pinch flat from hitting a rock. No, it was an old fashioned Michelin wire flat. About 0.5 cm long. I'd just trimmed my nails, so I had a hell of a time getting any purchase on it to pull it out! I almost tried my teeth.....

Speaking of purchase, last month I purchased 6 new tubes, so I'd have plenty of spares. But I decided to be frugal and patch the 2 snake bit tubes I had, and then I put one of those in the saddle bag with one of the new ones, after I discovered I can take any of my tires off any of my rims without levers. Better to be safe with 2 tubes, than 1 tube and levers I don't need, I thought.

SO when I flatted today, I pulled off the road, found a handy fence to hang the bike off while I worked, got the tire off on one side pulled out the old tube. Opened my saddle bag, and thought briefly of using the patched tube, but thought "Better keep that one in reserve, in case I did a bad job patching it!". So I got the new tube out, took off the black rubber band, uncoiled it and...

Shrader. Shrader? SHRADER?!? Shrader.

"Oh, 'eck.", I thought. Pulled out the patched tube and pumped it up - proving yet again that a minipump can pump up a 28mm tire. Eventually. Texted Mrs. GeneJockey to be prepared for the Call Of Shame, and continued on my merry way. Got home with no further technical difficulties. Checked the order - I ordered 6 tubes with Schrader valves.
​​​​​​​Oh boy.
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 05:43 PM
  #10912  
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 13,802

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
When I do a trainer workout, Strava gets the power data from the trainer. The only thing it calculates is the weighted average power, which is always higher than the straight mean power for the ride.
At the moment I have my wahoo element linked to my strava account. And my wahoo snap linked to wahoo fitness. The Snap/fitness doesn't interface with strava at this time.
ls01 is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 05:45 PM
  #10913  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 25,851
Liked 9,711 Times in 4,754 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
We have on tandems with rim brakes.
I can't find information on wear indicators for these rims. I should just get a new bike instead.
big john is offline  
Likes For big john:
Old 12-27-20, 05:50 PM
  #10914  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 18,138

Bikes: 2 many

Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
about 1938. My mother in the middle, with her sister and brother.
notice My uncle had drop bars taped from the brake down only. And a huge light, looks like a sidewall dynamo. Looks like maybe a sidewall dynamo tail light, ?? A fixie, a single speed or three speed. can't tell.
2manybikes is offline  
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 12-27-20, 06:12 PM
  #10915  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 18,138

Bikes: 2 many

Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Clearly my aunt knew wider tires have less rolling resistance,
2manybikes is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 06:15 PM
  #10916  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 18,138

Bikes: 2 many

Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
This is getting weird - they had a little dog too.
2manybikes is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 06:28 PM
  #10917  
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 52,096

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 2,019 Times in 1,419 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
By the end of the day the lawn should be mostly green again. Nature is healing.
UPDATE: I regret to inform that this is not the case. ~20% of the front yard is still frozen tundra, as is 33% of the back yard. #EndlessWinter
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 06:40 PM
  #10918  
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 12,950
Liked 6,498 Times in 3,558 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I can't find information on wear indicators for these rims. I should just get a new bike instead.
Thats the correct solution for your dilemma.
Mojo31 is offline  
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 12-27-20, 06:43 PM
  #10919  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,909

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,780 Times in 6,558 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
Thats what's weird speed and distance are relatively the same. They differ a bit but thats understandable since I manually start and stop both.
Distance is just counting revolutions of the wheel and multiplying by circumference, and then dividing that by time for the speed. So they should be the same. But they're not real. On the road, you could be putting out 200W for an hour and go anywhere between 5.6 miles if you're climbing a 6% grade to 44 miles if you're descending the same imaginary continuous, infinite 6% grade. On my dumb trainer, if I wanted to simulate climbing, I'd go to a larger gear where the resistance was higher.

Zwift, and I assume other aps, use your power, your weight, the bike you chose to virtually ride, and the imaginary terrain you rode on, to calculate how far and fast you went. It may overestimate, possibly in part because there are no winds in Zwift, at least none that I've found, so it's like you're always riding through still air.

NOTE: I used this page to calculate the power to speed relationship.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 06:47 PM
  #10920  
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 12,950
Liked 6,498 Times in 3,558 Posts
Weekend ride report:

Crashed the Domane yesterday and retired after 30 miles. Broke two spokes on the new wheels, and fubared the fork. Bike is at the Trek shop for wheel repair and a new fork. ☹️ Fortunately, Trek has a replacement in the right color.

Today, went to the MUP with the little lady on the Sirruses. She road her first 30 mile ride. 😃
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 06:48 PM
  #10921  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,909

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,780 Times in 6,558 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Thats the correct solution for your dilemma.
As the Ukrainian wrench at my LBS used to say, "You nidd noo bai-eek."

He also said, when I asked for some Cinelli bar tape. "You don't want Cinelli. Ees sheet. Use Deda."
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-27-20, 06:50 PM
  #10922  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 18,138

Bikes: 2 many

Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Thats the correct solution for any dilemma.
Fixed
2manybikes is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 06:54 PM
  #10923  
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 52,096

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 2,019 Times in 1,419 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Weekend ride report:

Crashed the Domane yesterday and retired after 30 miles. Broke two spokes on the new wheels, and fubared the fork. Bike is at the Trek shop for wheel repair and a new fork. ☹️ Fortunately, Trek has a replacement in the right color.

Today, went to the MUP with the little lady on the Sirruses. She road her first 30 mile ride. 😃
wut
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 06:55 PM
  #10924  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 25,851
Liked 9,711 Times in 4,754 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Weekend ride report:

Crashed the Domane yesterday and retired after 30 miles. Broke two spokes on the new wheels, and fubared the fork.
Bummer. Glad you were ok enough to ride again.
big john is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 06:55 PM
  #10925  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 21,641

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Liked 5,044 Times in 2,901 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Weekend ride report:

Crashed the Domane yesterday and retired after 30 miles. Broke two spokes on the new wheels, and fubared the fork. Bike is at the Trek shop for wheel repair and a new fork. ☹️ Fortunately, Trek has a replacement in the right color.

Today, went to the MUP with the little lady on the Sirruses. She road her first 30 mile ride. 😃
Good on the 30 mile ride! Kudos!

Are you OK? Bikes go down, they get fixed. That adds character.
LAJ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.